Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Thanks, guys. I have tried Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, courtesy of Mektek. Unfortunately recently an error message that includes "address something something string of numbers" keeps popping up after the beginning cinematic, and then the game immediately crashes.

Even fresh installs don't work anymore, despite being on a Windows 7 x64 system.

Where did you find the installer, by the way? This isn't talking about pirating, just in case anyone was interested; the game is legitimately free now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xmas Future posted:

Fixed that for you. Clan large pulse lasers are incredibly good. Seriously cheesy in such large amounts.

Yup. They are one of the four weapons that I consider to be outright and unbalancing when compared to everything else, the others being the cER Medium, the cER PPC and the cLRM-20+ArtemisIV.

Really if you're playing Clan and you want to min-max, you shouldn't be using any weapons but those four.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried to patch MW4: Mercs and add on the mechpack and I broke the program. I don't have disk 2 with me (it's in another state) so I can't reinstall and the program won't work. :cry:

No I didn't back up my game files. I am a moron.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My copy of mercs was purchased before they made it free, so the installer for me is just setup.exe on the Mercs disc. Someone who is using the freeware release may be able to help you more if you're having problems installing.

I just double checked the shortcut I use for mercs, the only compatibility settings I have in use are XP SP3 mode (which I assume you tried by default for a game of that era) and Disable Visual Themes, which suggests I was having issues with it causing discoloration because of my aero effects when I first reinstalled it. Try running the game itself as admin (you can just check that box while on the compatibility tab) to cover all the bases, and if that combination doesn't work it must be something different with the freeware release and I won't be able to help you. :(

[EDIT] Yeah, I never got the official mechpaks to work right myself in Win7, but since I can't play online anymore with my terrible internet connection, I just said screw it and played vanilla. Patching works fine aside from that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

Fixed that for you. Clan large pulse lasers are incredibly good. Seriously cheesy in such large amounts.

Which is why you shouldn't expect to actually be fighting that variant unless we wind up in a Goliath Scorpion vs. Hell's Horses fight or something. :ssh:

Mostly, you'll see the Prime. There're several Nova variants that I probably won't be fielding either.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is why you shouldn't expect to actually be fighting that variant unless we wind up in a Goliath Scorpion vs. Hell's Horses fight or something. :ssh:
Oh I know, it's just very jarring to see that. I play in a megamek-based online campaign and things like that, the Rifleman IIC for example, are removed from the mech factory build tables. Custom variants all have to be approved as well specifically to avoid t-comp + large pulse boats.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or the Gamma's not really a Copperhead but something else entirely (and ComStar can't tell the difference). Maybe someone's misidentified a Storm Crow. You decide!

This does seem a strong possibility - note that the Gamma also has hands, which is a pretty radical visual change from the standard Copperhead/Mad Dog design.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

Oh I know, it's just very jarring to see that. I play in a megamek-based online campaign and things like that, the Rifleman IIC for example, are removed from the mech factory build tables. Custom variants all have to be approved as well specifically to avoid t-comp + large pulse boats.

It's a <Redacted> hunter in its purest form.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Man, the last turn was just outright brutal. But the Little Wolfhound who could is doing pretty well. Is Careful Stand being the only optional rule you'll be using, or will you phase in more/less as you think are useful for making the game more entertaining?

And a pair of sort of off topic questions. Of the post-3025 weapons and equipment things, which ones are your favorites and why? Not due to effectiveness, cool factor is sufficient.

I'd have to say the Hyper-Assault Gauss, the Extended LRMs ("finally", the IS says, "we can make missiles that do something better than Clan ones"), and rotary autocannons (because being able to put 6 AC/5 shots downrange is awesome).

Also, I really like building random mechs so if you want me to do something for the Clans I'm game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

As a person more given to creating than destroying, writing the Let's Read of Far Country left me feeling unsatisfied, even after I said everything there was to say in the After Action Report. That's why I did this:

I hope you enjoy listening to it more than I did reading the book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Heh, that's going to be hard to top Bobbin.

Still, people have until the current battle ends to, I dunno... video tape themselves launching a copy of Far Country on a cardboard rocket (bonus points if it 'misjumps') or something.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still, people have until the current battle ends to, I dunno... video tape themselves launching a copy of Far Country on a cardboard rocket (bonus points if it 'misjumps') or something.

Oh man, I would love to do that. Hrm...

I wonder how much black powder you can dust into the pages of a book?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alternate-Universe 3032 TRO Entry 2

Thunderchild (Nova)
Overview:

A solid performer, A ‘Mech like the Thunderchild would be the pride of any great House’s military; or even Our Blessed Order. Fast, versatile, and powerful; the Thunderchild seems to see only sparse use among Clan forces. It may have been a limited production or commemorative design, or perhaps the Clans are a superstitious lot. More likely, the Thunderchild’s “limited” long-range capabilities may be stigmatized by Clan ‘Mechwarriors, relegating an otherwise exceptional ‘Mech to only limited use.

Capabilities:
We’ve dubbed the most common Thunderchild the ‘Alpha’ variant, but like all Clan ‘Mechs the actual build and model number for the design is unknown. Sporting the impressive array of lasers which earned the Thunderchild its name, the ‘Mech can deliver an exceptional punch—at the cost of a great deal of heat. It also boasts superior electronic warfare systems which could easily enable the design to be a devastating Urban fighter.

If there were any doubt to the Thunderchild’s role as an Urban combatant, the Thunderchild Beta should end the speculation. Packing a massive LB 20-X Autocannon and enough ammunition to use it regularly, the Thunderchild is capable of crippling a lighter machine in an instant and mobile enough to make good use of a normally cumbersome heavy autocannon. The Beta’s armament is rounded out by a single medium laser and an array of four machine guns in the right arm, making the Beta an infantryman’s nightmare.

Another infighter, the Gamma variant makes only a single concession to long-range combat. Packing a Clan extended-range heavy laser, the Gamma is quite capable of sniping lighter or slower targets before closing in to unleash its six-pack Streak SRM systems. This variant of the Thunderchild seems a consummate duelist, and a capable pilot should easily be able to avoid the worst of the enemy’s fire without challenge.

An apparently unpopular variant, the Thunderchild Delta is built as a long-range sniper. Mounting a heavy laser and an LB 5-X Autocannon, the Delta is more than capable of pursuing and destroying any ‘Mech fleeing the battlefield. Like a vulture, this variant likely waits for an opportune moment to strike a wounded opponent. It also seems to serve the Clans as a command vehicle for scout lances; where its superior electronics and sensors—and TAG—allow it to act as an Artillery spotter. The Delta has appeared only among the Hell’s Horses, but we can only assume the Steel Vipers also field them to support their long-range Artillery ‘Mechs.

An oddity among Clan forces, and an extraordinarily rare version of the Thunderchild, the Epsilon variant seems purpose-built to shoot down Aerospace fighters in an atmosphere. Packing a trio of small LRM launchers, the Epsilon also packs an LB 5-X Autocannon for anti-fighter work. The ‘Mech’s arsenal is rounded out by a single medium laser. This support variant does not seem designed with battlefield longevity in mind, and is likely tasked with defending supply depots and convoys from aerial attacks.

Deployment:
None of the invading Clans make extensive use of the Thunderchild, although it seems all use it in some small numbers. The design seems most favored by the Hell’s Horses, but even that may be a stretch. From our limited intelligence, the Goliath Scorpions seem to field this ‘Mech quite infrequently, as only a single representative has been spotted among their forces.

Equipment:
Mass: 50 tons
Cruising Speed: 64.8 kph
Walking MP: 6
Maximum Speed: 97.2 kph
Running MP: 9
Jump Jets: 6
Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Jumping MP: 6
Armament: 16.5 tons of Pod Space available
Heat Sinks: 14 [28] (minimum)
Armor Factor: 169

Head Structure: 3
Head Armor: 9

Center Torso Structure: 16
Center Torso Armor: 24
Center Torso (Rear) Armor: 8

Left/Right Torso Structure: 12
Left/Right Torso Armor: 18
Left/Right Torso (Rear) Armor: 6

Left/Right Leg Structure: 12
Left/Right Leg Armor: 24

Left/Right Arm Structure: 8
Left/Right Arm Armor: 16

Standard Equipment:
Jump Jet – Right Torso
Jump Jet – Left Torso
Jump Jet – Right Leg
Jump Jet – Right Leg
Jump Jet – Left Leg
Jump Jet – Left Leg

Alpha Weapons and Ammo:
ER Medium Laser (x6) – Right Arm
ER Medium Laser (x6) – Left Arm
Clan ECM Suite – Center Torso
Heat Sink – Right Torso
Heat Sink – Right Torso
Heat Sink – Left Torso

Beta Weapons and Ammo:
LB 20-X Autocannon – Left Arm
ER Medium Laser – Right Arm
Machine Gun – Right Arm
Machine Gun – Right Arm
Machine Gun – Right Arm
Machine Gun – Right Arm
LB 20-X Autocannon Ammunition – Left Torso
LB 20-X Autocannon Ammunition – Left Torso
Machine Gun Ammunition (half ton) – Right Arm
CASE – Right Arm
CASE – Left Torso

Gamma Weapons and Ammo:
ER Large Laser – Right Arm
ER Small Laser – Right Arm
Streak SRM 6 – Left Arm
Streak SRM 6 – Left Arm
Streak SRM 6 – Left Arm
Streak SRM 6 Ammunition – Left Torso
CASE – Left Torso

Delta Weapons and Ammo:
ER Large Laser – Right Arm
LB 5-X Autocannon – Left Arm
LB 5-X Autocannon Ammunition – Left Arm
Active Probe – Right Torso
Clan ECM Suite – Right Torso
ER Small Laser – Left Torso
TAG – Center Torso
CASE – Left Arm

Epsilon Weapons and Ammo:
LRM 5 w/ Artemis IV – Right Arm
LRM 5 Ammunition – Right Arm
ER Medium Laser – Right Arm
LB 5-X Autocannon – Left Arm
LB 5-X Autocannon Ammunition – Left Arm
CASE – Right Arm
CASE – Left Arm

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The best mech.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been searching my head for something to add for the last five pages of the thread but I can't think of anything. I felt the need to post to tell you this thread is awesome. You're awesome. Giant robots are awesome! :woop:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I can't really add too much to the Far Country stuff at this point, but I have to make a plea to the other contenders, especially Bobbin who can't receive PMs.

The only acceptable prize for anything derived from this book is to request a setback for the Draconis Combine as alternate-universe penance for the awful book... or, if you're feeling really awful, to represent them losing their Jumpships mysteriously.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

[b]Alternate-Universe 3032 TRO Entry 2

Interesting. Very focused variants. Also on the Alpha I counted only 16 used tons -- 12 ERs, 3 DHS, and the ECM. Is this because Comstar doesn't know what the other .5 come from and assume it's the ECM suite?

Also what are you using for mech design? The only rules I have access to at the moment are the Btech Compendium (3rd printing 1995). Did they update them at all since?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

LeschNyhan posted:

Interesting. Very focused variants. Also on the Alpha I counted only 16 used tons -- 12 ERs, 3 DHS, and the ECM. Is this because Comstar doesn't know what the other .5 come from and assume it's the ECM suite?

maybe it mounts Light TAG or something, which nobody would ever see used because the Clans never use artillery.

quote:

Also what are you using for mech design? The only rules I have access to at the moment are the Btech Compendium (3rd printing 1995). Did they update them at all since?

The best current mech design program IME is Solaris Skunk Werks. It has all the modern rules and the new toys you get to play with, including experimental tech.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a <Redacted> hunter in its purest form.

But don't the <Redacted> have enough armour to withstand a hit from a CLPL? It's a bit like the Komodo which in theory was supposed to be able to take out a full Point of <Redacted> in one salvo, but in fact its full barrage wasn't actually enough. For a Clan <Redacted> hunter, I'd think a boatload of MPLs would be better.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I can't really add too much to the Far Country stuff at this point, but I have to make a plea to the other contenders, especially Bobbin who can't receive PMs.

The only acceptable prize for anything derived from this book is to request a setback for the Draconis Combine as alternate-universe penance for the awful book... or, if you're feeling really awful, to represent them losing their Jumpships mysteriously.

All of their jumpships, leaving them defenseless for our new Clan overlords.

Well, a guy can dream, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

But don't the <Redacted> have enough armour to withstand a hit from a CLPL? It's a bit like the Komodo which in theory was supposed to be able to take out a full Point of <Redacted> in one salvo, but in fact its full barrage wasn't actually enough. For a Clan <Redacted> hunter, I'd think a boatload of MPLs would be better.

It's not intended to do it in one salvo, or from close range. It's intended to harry them from a distance and then move in once they go to ground and hunt them down.

Edit: Waiting for a quick clarification from a player.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 9, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Man, the last turn was just outright brutal. But the Little Wolfhound who could is doing pretty well. Is Careful Stand being the only optional rule you'll be using, or will you phase in more/less as you think are useful for making the game more entertaining?

And a pair of sort of off topic questions. Of the post-3025 weapons and equipment things, which ones are your favorites and why? Not due to effectiveness, cool factor is sufficient.

I'd have to say the Hyper-Assault Gauss, the Extended LRMs ("finally", the IS says, "we can make missiles that do something better than Clan ones"), and rotary autocannons (because being able to put 6 AC/5 shots downrange is awesome).

Also, I really like building random mechs so if you want me to do something for the Clans I'm game.

I too like the ELRM systems, even though they are ridiculously heavy, have a dangerously long min. range, and hold 25% less ammo per ton. Even a ELRM-5 rack weighs 6 tons, where as a CLRM-5 rack weighs 1 ton. You have to put up with serious drawbacks for the extra range. Other favorites of mine are the Streak LRM launchers, Clan Pulse Lasers, and Clan LB-X series ACs. Clan society itself is flawed, but few can deny they have very good toys with which to destroy things.

v v v What's with the :ohdear:? Did PTN give you a preview of the next turn?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 10, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

:ohdear:

Edit: Zaodai that's just a clever ploy to get me to elaborate, isn't it? Let's add a little (totally unrelated) content.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 10, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You probably want to add some content to that post, raverrn.

A single emoticon is probatable at the very least.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

landcollector posted:

v v v What's with the :ohdear:? Did PTN give you a preview of the next turn?

Well, let's see. Raverrn is piloting a tank with big holes in its armor that cannot fire this turn, and has an angry clanner on top of it.

I think :ohdear: is appropriate. Perhaps more so is :ohdead: which was the typo I made when first writing this.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Teledahn posted:

Well, let's see. Raverrn is piloting a tank with big holes in its armor that cannot fire this turn, and has an angry clanner on top of it.

I think :ohdear: is appropriate. Perhaps more so is :ohdead: which was the typo I made when first writing this.

I hope the tank crew is going to die I hope they crawl out of the tank in time to moon Knox.

-edited for a missing word :( -

Trast fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 10, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Trast posted:

I the tank crew is going to die I hope they crawl out of the tank in time to moon Knox.

Finally, some support for my brilliant tactical battleplan!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Zaodai posted:

Finally, some support for my brilliant tactical battleplan!

Yeah, and then Knox is gonna shoot one of them in the rear end with a CERMLas.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the English surrendered at that point.

Besides, Knox is such a terrible Mechwarrior he got drunk and fell off a building, then got an arm blown off.

He's already lost a duel and disregarded orders to withdraw from the field. I'm not sure how much he wants to lose the rest of his meager honor by shooting unarmed fleeing infantry with weapons he bid away.

It's not like Knox could hit a man sized target anyway. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I hope they moon him, challenge him to fisticuffs, and then moon him again until he surrenders (as anyone would).

"The dezgra Steiners appear to be showing me their backsides. One of them bears markings on his buttocks reading 'Mom.' I... have no idea how to respond to this chalcas behavior."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

I'll be using them when/if appropriate, but don't expect a Stackpole planet unless I can think up a really, really good excuse (and, y'know, suffer a brain injury and forget that the Stackpole engine explosion rule is terrible). Maybe a planet with a hydrogen/oxygen atmosphere...

Zaodai posted:

He's already lost a duel and disregarded orders to withdraw from the field. I'm not sure how much he wants to lose the rest of his meager honor by shooting unarmed fleeing infantry with weapons he bid away.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps thinking he's doing something that any other Clanner wouldn't. The tank hosed with his duel, he lost--he's still not using his left arm weapons so he hasn't broken his bid yet.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He would if he fired on the tank crew with it as WarLocke suggested in the post that was a direct response to.

(I'd contend that other Clanners would actually pull back when ordered to, but given that it's an alternate timeline that's easy enough to just say "Well these Clans don't do that.")

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'd contend that other Clanners would actually pull back when ordered to, but given that it's an alternate timeline that's easy enough to just say "Well these Clans don't do that."

He's bending the rules and nobody's thought to issue a more specific order, or he received countermanding orders over his ClusterComms. Samantha hasn't had much time to monitor the Clan channels.

I haven't been telling the players everything--a limited perspective is far more thematic. You didn't even get to hear Star Colonel Dusk's order to "shoot down that irritating gnat".

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 10, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll be using them when/if appropriate, but don't expect a Stackpole planet unless I can think up a really, really good excuse (and, y'know, suffer a brain injury and forget that the Stackpole engine explosion rule is terrible). Maybe a planet with a hydrogen/oxygen atmosphere...

Well, the Stackpole rule is pretty dumb and I don't miss it at all. But I do like the glancing blow (if you roll just well enough to hit, you do half damage or suffer a -4 to your cluster hits roll) and the altered critical hit (more penetrating damage = better crit chance) rules.

Sprinting and reckless movement are cool too, although they may overvalue good pilots (because at this point a, say, piloting 2 pilot can reliably run through woods expending only 1 MP without too much fear they can fall, sprinting at twice the mech's walking speed).

Also, special piloting abilities from A Time of War are pretty cool.

The Clans have one called "Blood Stalker", which is -1 to hit one target you designate (at the cost of +2 to hit all other targets) once per battle, until one turn after the target retreats or is destroyed.

The best one though is Fist Fire, which lets you fire an arm mounted weapon (with an additional -1) if you make a successful punch attack, hitting whatever your punch did. Take a pilot with that, put him in a King Crab, and watch heads fly off.

There's a whole bunch more which are fun to use, like Melee Master, which let you combine a DFA and a kick, for extra fun (or a charge and a kick, or two punches and a kick...), and with the right special abilities a pilot can make a mech run at more than its rated full speed backwards, or crank an Atlas up to sprinting at a whopping 86 kph.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 10, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

MJ12 posted:

Well, the Stackpole rule is pretty dumb and I don't miss it at all. But I do like the glancing blow (if you roll just well enough to hit, you do half damage or suffer a -4 to your cluster hits roll) and the altered critical hit (more penetrating damage = better crit chance) rules.

Sprinting and reckless movement are cool too, although they may overvalue good pilots (because at this point a, say, piloting 2 pilot can reliably run through woods expending only 1 MP without too much fear they can fall, sprinting at twice the mech's walking speed).

Also, special piloting abilities from A Time of War are pretty cool.

The Clans have one called "Blood Stalker", which is -1 to hit one target you designate (at the cost of +2 to hit all other targets) once per battle, until one turn after the target retreats or is destroyed.

The best one though is Fist Fire, which lets you fire an arm mounted weapon (with an additional -1) if you make a successful punch attack, hitting whatever your punch did. Take a pilot with that, put him in a King Crab, and watch heads fly off.

There's a whole bunch more which are fun to use, like Melee Master, which let you combine a DFA and a kick, for extra fun (or a charge and a kick, or two punches and a kick...), and with the right special abilities a pilot can make a mech run at more than its rated full speed backwards, or crank an Atlas up to sprinting at a whopping 86 kph.

The pilot abilities are all fun and games until you start giving them to the opfor.
What's this? With Sniper/Jumping Jack a Black Python pilot gets +0 to hit at 20 hexes while jumping? That can't possibly be broken!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

The pilot abilities are all fun and games until you start giving them to the opfor.
What's this? With Sniper/Jumping Jack a Black Python pilot gets +0 to hit at 20 hexes while jumping? That can't possibly be broken!

Yeah, but see, the Clans don't use melee attacks, and so they can't ever get the best thing ever, which is Melee Specialist/Melee Master/Speed Demon in a Charger-1A1 with a good pilot.

The Clans get to wonder how the hell an 80-ton mech is barreling down at them at 129.6 kph before it slams right into the biggest enemy mech in the group, dealing 97 damage for the charge and another 17 damage for the kick.

(Or I guess if you want to get into sillier scenarios you can make it a post-3050 variant with a 400 XL and MASC).

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 10, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Yeaaah, jumping jack can be incredibly broken in the right mech. I'm kindof a fan of maneuvering ace, which is really useful if you're in a fast mech, sprinting through city and dodging buildings.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

MJ12 posted:

Yeah, but see, the Clans don't use melee attacks, and so they can't ever get the best thing ever, which is Melee Specialist/Melee Master/Speed Demon in a Charger-1A1 with a good pilot.

The Clans get to wonder how the hell an 80-ton mech is barreling down at them at 129.6 kph before it slams right into the biggest enemy mech in the group, dealing 97 damage for the charge and another 17 damage for the kick.

(Or I guess if you want to get into sillier scenarios you can make it a post-3050 variant with a 400 XL and MASC).

Speed Demon can't be combined with a physical attack (except maybe an unintentional charge, but then you can't kick after). Also, if you're going to use tacops sprinting might as well use tacops charging right?

VVV

Your damage is still to high. You can only move 7 hexes at most before a charge assuming a 1A1.

Also the reason I recommended tacops charging rules is as a way to discourage ridiculous "unintentional" charges with sprinting or MASC+SC charges.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 10, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Speed Demon can't be combined with a physical attack (except maybe an unintentional charge, but then you can't kick after).

Hmm, yeah, Sprinting doesn't allow physical attacks. A pity, it means you'll only do 73 + 17 points of damage in a single round. Either way, though, someone's going to be really feeling it.

And as for TacOps charging, it means you deal more damage to yourself, which is kind of something you don't want to use right now (especially because charging is pretty drat hard to set up as it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

PoptartsNinja posted:

I remember in Wolves on the Border when the Snake Stompers got trounced by the Sword of Light, in a battle roughly as unmatched as this. The last survivor gave a Sworder a great big hug and told him over the radio that they were going for a ride, then blew his engine. Now, I know we don't have explosive fusion engines here, but that Rommel is packed full of explosive ordnance, and Knox is literally standing on them. Would it be possible for the crew to tell him, "Hey, rear end in a top hat, you and us, we're going to go see Jesus" and blow their ammo, taking them both out?

• Locked thread