Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Preechr posted:

I remember in Wolves on the Border when the Snake Stompers got trounced by the Sword of Light, in a battle roughly as unmatched as this. The last survivor gave a Sworder a great big hug and told him over the radio that they were going for a ride, then blew his engine. Now, I know we don't have explosive fusion engines here, but that Rommel is packed full of explosive ordnance, and Knox is literally standing on them. Would it be possible for the crew to tell him, "Hey, rear end in a top hat, you and us, we're going to go see Jesus" and blow their ammo, taking them both out?

If this is at all possible I want it to happen. Take off the Nova's leg at least. Teach this guy that no matter what, Steiners fight to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If you were going to 'fight to the end' you'd rely on the fact that you're probably a local and throw anything to incriminating down a drain, then come back in a couple of months insurgency style.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picked up the free MW4:Mercs and the Thunderchild makes for a vicious, vicious Solaris brawler right off the market, no adjustments necessary. Then again, the game is different enough from tabletop that you can pretty much get away with taking any 'Mech with the right hardpoints and turning it into a gigantic oversized (or miniature, with the Urbanmech) Hunchback and still escape most fights with nary a repair bill to fear. In singleplayer anyway.

This game has kind of skewed my perception of the actual tabletop mechs into something strange and bewildering to anyone who knows better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If you were going to 'fight to the end' you'd rely on the fact that you're probably a local and throw anything to incriminating down a drain, then come back in a couple of months insurgency style.

Yes, but it's not a matter of throwing out your C4 and hiding your RPG. They're trapped inside a tank with a hostile mech parked on top of it.

Odds are kind of slim that given the choice between blowing up their ride and possibly taking out the Clanner with them (and almost certainly removing it from relevancy in this battle) and holding out hope that there's some small slim chance they can run into the woods and survive on nuts and berries and maybe steal a couple SRM launchers to take potshots at mechs that they're going to choose the indirect, low odds, passive way of fighting back.

Especially when you consider they came in on dropships, which makes it pretty unlikely they're "local". Unless you mean they're in territory held by the Great Lord of their house, then yes, I guess they are local in the sense that they know the name of the planet on a map.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 10, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Yes, but it's not a matter of throwing out your C4 and hiding your RPG. They're trapped inside a tank with a hostile mech parked on top of it.

Odds are kind of slim that given the choice between blowing up their ride and possibly taking out the Clanner with them (and almost certainly removing it from relevancy in this battle) and holding out hope that there's some small slim chance they can run into the woods and survive on nuts and berries and maybe steal a couple SRM launchers to take potshots at mechs that they're going to choose the indirect, low odds, passive way of fighting back.

Especially when you consider they came in on dropships, which makes it pretty unlikely they're "local". Unless you mean they're in territory held by the Great Lord of their house, then yes, I guess they are local in the sense that they know the name of the planet on a map.

Well, civilian casualties were mentioned as a possible consequence of firing on those buildings. If they hoofed it towards the 'crowd' and ditched their uni's they'd be local enough to the Clanners to be indistinguishable.

'Course, that might just mean the Clanners'd call the civilians on aiding and abetting and las the lot of them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe. But odds are still pretty slim of them making it to the building, and the Clanners would definitely start a "cleanup" operation after the fact if the civilians didn't surrender them.

Given that the tank crew was willing to drive their tank into the gaping maw of destruction to fight unknown heavy and assault mechs, and at least one of them is already heavily wounded (and thus will stand basically no chance of escaping the tank, much less getting to cover), they'd probably choose a glorious death taking out the enemy and protecting those civilians.

Of course, they're still stunned so they're hosed right proper as it is, but it's nice to think about.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Zaodai posted:

Absent the adoption of Davion RCT doctrine that came with the FedCom in the historical timeline, many armor and infantry formations that operate with 'Mech units will be indigs. It might be that the armor unit is a from a long-term attachment, not unknown in the LCAF even without RCTs, but it could well be a local Somerset unit under 2nd Donegal OPCON.

Zaodai posted:

Maybe. But odds are still pretty slim of them making it to the building, and the Clanners would definitely start a "cleanup" operation after the fact if the civilians didn't surrender them.

These are the Clans, not modern military. They do not understand that people do things like irregular warfare, though I expect they will soon.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 10, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Absent the adoption of Davion RCT doctrine that came with the FedCom in the historical timeline, many armor and infantry formations that operate with 'Mech units will be indigs. It might be that the armor unit is a from a long-term attachment, not unknown in the LCAF even without RCTs, but it could well be a local Somerset unit under 2nd Donegal OPCON.

Possible, I suppose. I didn't really look at it that way.

quote:

These are the Clans, not modern military. They do not understand that people do things like irregular warfare, though I expect they will soon.

This is actually more of a danger to the civilians than it is a help. The Clans generally look down on their non-warrior castes as beasts of burden, or a necessary evil. When faced with non-warriors fighting back using hit and run, guerrilla tactics, their first instinct is generally to come down on them hard like they would a disobedient dog. They may no start machine gunning whole crowds and dumping them in mass graves (unless pushed), but they wouldn't have any of the restrictions of a civilian moral compass that a modern military does. If the tankers ran into a building, the Clan train of thought is to order the civilians to give up the tank crew. If they refuse, then you blow up the building. At that point, you have killed the enemy combatants and dealt with disruptive civilians aiding in an enemy attack.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Given that the tank crew was willing to drive their tank into the gaping maw of destruction to fight unknown heavy and assault mechs, and at least one of them is already heavily wounded (and thus will stand basically no chance of escaping the tank, much less getting to cover), they'd probably choose a glorious death taking out the enemy and protecting those civilians.

Of course, they're still stunned so they're hosed right proper as it is, but it's nice to think about.

Have your heroic death and eat your irregular warfare too: rig her to blow, hand the injured commander the detonator, book it.

If the Clanners complain about the tank blowing up, point out the similarities between the tanker's 'withdrawal' and Mewchwarrior Knox's.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
How do the Clanners handle civilians anyway? From what I'm told their society is so combat oriented that the idea of a non-combatant would seem completely alien to them. In fact I recall being told that glassing some civilians got one of the Clans into a huge amount of trouble. Anyone care to fill in the blanks for the sake of my curiosity?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

the JJ posted:

Have your heroic death and eat your irregular warfare too: rig her to blow, hand the injured commander the detonator, book it.

This would be pretty much the ideal way to handle it, yes.

Trast posted:

How do the Clanners handle civilians anyway? From what I'm told their society is so combat oriented that the idea of a non-combatant would seem completely alien to them. In fact I recall being told that glassing some civilians got one of the Clans into a huge amount of trouble. Anyone care to fill in the blanks for the sake of my curiosity?

Like I said, they basically see them as beasts of burden. As long as civilians do their jobs, they get food and shelter and everything is cool. But they don't really have full rights as you'd think of it, and they're expected to acknowledge the universal greatness of the Warrior caste and bow down.

To answer your second question: Wiki to the rescue!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Slaan posted:

I think it is:

“—multcon, cor alpha-six-niner.” Course correct to Alpha-six-nine? Multiple contacts, coordinates Alpha-six-nine

“Magscan masked: civstructs. Project high caspot.” Magnetic scanning is blocked by civilian structures. I think there is high casualty potential.

“Ha, batloc is their choice, quiaff? Civcas expected.” Hah. Battle-location is their choice, right? Civilian casualties expected.

“Neg, mincas,” a familiar voice called. Samantha blinked, could the Steel Viper ‘Star Colonel’ be here? “Khan’s orders. Prior miltargs. Flanking expected.”
No, minimize casualties. Khan's orders. Prioritize military targets. Flanking expected.

“Encon conf. Banshee. Engaging.”
Enemy contigent contact confirmed. A Banshee. I am engaging.

“Point Delta, Point assistreq quiaff?”
[Battle Cobra], You require assistance, yes?

“Neg, Star Commander. Sitcon positive. Sintarg.”
No, commander. Situation control is fine. ?? target. Situation control is fine. Single target.

“Point Beta. Moving to suppos.”
[Another mechwarrior, a heavy?]. Moving to support position

“Aff, ack.”
Aye, permission granted.

EDIT: Added in LeschNyhan's suggestions.

From earlier in the scenario.

So... yeah, civilians are free game due to the battle location, but military targets are to be prioritized.

I feel this is more a matter of practicality than morality.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

MJ12 posted:

If this is at all possible I want it to happen. Take off the Nova's leg at least. Teach this guy that no matter what, Steiners fight to the end.

This reminds me of a snippet of text from Warhammer 40k. Please forgive me for crossing the two miniature war games.

quote:

Mahler caught a glimpse of a Leman Russ with a damaged turret speeding forward toward the Greater Daemon on what was obviously a collision course, well away from the battleline. The Daemon was inhumanly fast, and smashed one of its' claws down on the turret, peeling it open as if it were paper. Its' other claw neatly snipped the barrels from the tank's guns. The thing was on the hull in the blink of an eye, its' lithe limbs working fast as it peeled back the armour, intent on feasting on the souls of the guardsmen inside. It pushed its' head into the hole torn in thehull, its' gurgling laugh running through the psyche of every one of the Death Korps in a contusion of psychic pain. For a moment, time seemed to halt. With perfect clarity, Mahler saw on of the tank crew turn calmly and discharge his laspistol into the stacked battle cannon shells by the loading breach. The resulting explosion was cataclysmic, a vast mushroom of noise, light and dust. It annihilated not only the tank and the Greater Daemon, but slaughtered hundreds of its' nearby minions. The remainder were in disarray, howling as the ground buckled and split, lesions appearing in a thousand places.

As one, the Death Korps of Krieg advanced.

Die, Clanner. :commissar:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

Especially when you consider they came in on dropships, which makes it pretty unlikely they're "local".

I thought the mechs came in on dropships? So the tank was from a garrison force? I could be wrong though - doesn't really matter.

Zaodai posted:

They may no start machine gunning whole crowds and dumping them in mass graves (unless pushed), but they wouldn't have any of the restrictions of a civilian moral compass that a modern military does. If the tankers ran into a building, the Clan train of thought is to order the civilians to give up the tank crew. If they refuse, then you blow up the building.

While this is bad for the civilians, it's GREAT for an insurgency. If you kill someone's mum, the entire family is going to hate you hardcore. So now you have three insurgents, instead of one.

The only other option is a police state + a crack down of proportions you wouldn't belive, and even then the chinese cannot fully surpress an insurgency out west, and they are way better at this than the clanners.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Trast posted:

In fact I recall being told that glassing some civilians got one of the Clans into a huge amount of trouble. Anyone care to fill in the blanks for the sake of my curiosity?

It was Clan Smoke Jaguar, and "a huge amount of trouble" is a bit of an understatement. The Kuritan world of Turtle Bay had been conquered by the Jags, and the Yakuza and local partisans had been giving the Clanners serious headaches.

They responded by bombing the planet from orbit, killing nearly a million civilians.

The Inner Sphere responded by obliterating Clan Smoke Jaguar in Operations Serpent (hit their homeworld of Huntress) and Bulldog (smash through their front lines).

EDIT: Zaodai! :argh:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Yeah. That was roughly when the Clans realized that if they really, really wanted to, the Inner Sphere could just annihilate the lot of them. It wouldn't be easy or cheap, but they could do it.

I think that's roughly when they started to rethink their roles in life to maybe be something other than high-handedly restore a defunct 300-year-old institution.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Picked up the free MW4:Mercs and the Thunderchild makes for a vicious, vicious Solaris brawler right off the market, no adjustments necessary. Then again, the game is different enough from tabletop that you can pretty much get away with taking any 'Mech with the right hardpoints and turning it into a gigantic oversized (or miniature, with the Urbanmech) Hunchback and still escape most fights with nary a repair bill to fear. In singleplayer anyway.

This game has kind of skewed my perception of the actual tabletop mechs into something strange and bewildering to anyone who knows better.

Actually multiplayer really isn't much better and unless MekTek fixed balance I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of PPC and Gauss boats dominating multiplayer like they did when I played it (or tried to) a few months before the free version of Mercs came out.

Essentially people would load up the heaviest jump-capable mech with as many PPCs/Gauss Rifles/combinations thereof that they could and just hide behind a hill, jump up and fire on a target, usually one-shotting even the most hardy of assault mechs. Alternate strategies included doing more of the same only creating a missile boat instead. basically the idea was to ruin your opponent's aim so that if you didn't take them down in one shot you'd be able to follow up with the second before they had a chance to return fire.

Compare this with my first exposure to MW4 multiplayer which was on a crappy 56k modem and yet was still more enjoyable.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 10, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 9

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Lucerne!
Random Ace Gamma: G4 Unknown Assault 4!

L4 Wolfhound attempts to stand on one leg, must make a piloting test to avoid a fall (3 base + 0 hexes moved + 5 Leg Previously Destroyed - 2 Careful Stand (unit uses all MP) = 6): rolled 6, succeeds (and yes, I know this still isn’t supported by the rules, it remains awesome)!

T1 Rommel tank crew abandons vehicle!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2 remains stationary!

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops holds fire!
L* Cyclops gains 2 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 0!

L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1709 with Large Laser (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 stationary target = 2): rolled 6, hit! Needs 7+ to start fire, rolls 8! Fire started in Hex 1709!
L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1709 with Medium Laser (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 stationary target = 2): rolled 11, hit! Fire already started in hex!
L2 Zeus gains 13 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

L4 Wolfhound fires Large Laser at B4 Unknown Heavy 2 (2 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 destroyed actuator = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (13/26 armor remains)!
L4 Wolfhound fires Medium Laser at B4 Unknown Heavy 2 (2 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (21/26 armor remains)!
L4 Wolfhound fires Medium Laser at B4 Unknown Heavy 2 (2 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (8/18 armor remains)!
L4 Wolfhound fires Medium Laser at B4 Unknown Heavy 2 (2 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 8, hit Head (4/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
L4 Wolfhound gains 18 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 16! Movement reduced! Overheat penalty to hit!

B2 Thunderchild holds fire!
B2 Thunderchild gains 3 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 0!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2 fires LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV at L4 Wolfhound (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 5, 20 missiles hit Right Arm (0/6 structure remains (limb blown off!)), Center Torso (1/16 armor remains), Right Torso (4/11 armor remains), Right Leg (10/16 armor remains)!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 fires LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV at L4 Wolfhound (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Right Torso (0/11 armor 7/8 structure remains (critical chance)), Right Torso (2/8 structure remains (critical chance)), Center Torso (0/16 armor 7/11 structure remains (critical chance)), Center Torso (2/11 structure remains (critical chance))! Critical chance!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 fires ER Small Laser at L4 Wolfhound (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 2, miss!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 fires ER Small Laser at L4 Wolfhound (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (6/16 armor remains)! Right arm destroyed, damage transfers to right torso (0/8 structure remains), 3 damage transfers to center torso (0/11 structure remains) ‘Mech destroyed!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 fires ER Small Laser at L4 Wolfhound (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 3): rolled 4, hit Left Leg, limb destroyed, damage transfers to left torso (0/11 armor, 4/8 structure remains)! Critical chance!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 gains 20 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 25 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase
L2 Zeus begins dumping LRM ammo!
L2 Zeus begins dumping Autocannon ammo!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2 must make a 3+ consciousness test, rolled 5, succeeds!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2 must make a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
B2 Thunderchild kicks T1 Rommel (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 4 immobile target = 0): Vehicle is empty, automatic hit!
B2 Thunderchild deals 10 damage to T1 Rommel, hits front (0/7 structure remains), tank destroyed!

End Phase:
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1609 (downwind), rolled 10, fire spreads!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1409 (downwind), rolled 3, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1509 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 11, fire spreads!

Perhaps sensing an opportunity, Colonel Rossi growled into the comms. “Colonel Dusk, I’m disappointed in your ‘Mechwarrior, Knox. Wasn’t he ordered to withdraw? If so, why does he continue to interfere in—”

“’Mechwarrior Knox is withdrawing,” Dusk’s tone was steady, and icy. “His course was not specified, and if that course takes him across the path of the little nuisance that has been interfering with our honor duels—”

Samantha frowned, that was a level of lateral thinking she hadn’t been counting on. These Clanners weren’t stupid, although she did note they didn’t seem to consider the Rommel anything more than a target of opportunity. She filed it away, for future debriefing.

“Star Colonel,” she called into the comms, “it’s to our greatest regret that the crews of our tanks are unable to duel in the proper Steiner fashion. Until we can devise a means to equip our tanks with arms and fists, we are forced to tolerate their constant interference—for what warrior could watch her Colonel fall under attack by a superior foe and not move to help?”

Dusk sounded amused, “True—you cannot fault a lesser for following their instincts. Explain these ‘Steiner Rules’ to me.”

Rossi cautioned her over the regimental comms, “Samantha—”

“In order to spare the expense of ammunition and do honor to our common foes the Kurita, it has become common practice in House Steiner to engage in a duel of fists. It is rough on machines, perhaps, but it insures as even a contest as possible. House Kurita is burdened with a good many CGR-1A1 Chargers.”

“I see,” Dusk replied, her tone showing surprise.

“Unfortunately, many of our less experienced regiments have yet to learn the value of the true Steiner Rules Duel; but the Second Donegal—”

“—has a surprising amount of honor for Barbarians. I am gratified to see that a unit with an origin tracing back to the Star League can know such honor. If you survive your defeat, ‘Mechwarrior Samantha, you will have a place among the Steel Vipers as a bondsman.”

“As a—”

Hunter’s ‘Mech vanished from her roster, the ‘Mech’s D.D.T. painting a horrifying picture as it flashed from yellow—armor damage—to red, then black in a few instants. A voice boomed in the distance over a loudspeaker. “Pilot of the defiant little ‘Mech, earlier I accused you of being a coward: I see now that my assumption was wrong. There is no shame for losing while piloting a defective piece of hardware; and your spirit has humbled me. I claim you as my Bondsman. You will serve for the betterment of yourself and for Clan Steel Viper!”

Enemy Forces:
B2 Thunderchild: Jumps to hex 0719!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2: Remains stationary!
B5 Lucerne: Waiting to move!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (8/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green! Map Note: A height 1 tunnel extends from hex 0912 to 1213. It is large enough to accommodate the Rommel, but not large enough for a Battlemech. Due to heat concerns, the Rommel may not fire its weapons while within the tunnel.
Special Guest Note: Tank front arc is the triangle.

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 7/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 13/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 2/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/10 (11/15)
RA A(S): 6/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel wound (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 17, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: DESTROYED!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Medium Laser destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 7/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 7, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands, DUMPING AMMO!

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: Destroyed

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 1/11 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 0/16 (0/11)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 0/11 (0/8)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 7/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 0/12 (0/6)
LL A(S): 0/16 (0/8)
RL A(S): 10/16 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Richard Hunter
Mechwarrior Player: Spencerb
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – CT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Left Leg blown off, right upper arm actuator destroyed!
Notes: ‘Mech Destroyed by Damage!

Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 0/40 (0/7)
Left A(S): 32/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 37/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 24/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 1/2 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Tank Crew Twelve: Sergeant Bonnie Hammer (heavy shrapnel wounds), Private Sarah Montesquieu, PFC John Blucher
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: MP -1, MP halved, cumulative +6 penalty to driving rolls!
Critical Damage: Commander hit (+1 penalty to driving rolls, +1 penalty to hit), sensors hit (+1 penalty to hit)!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 17, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Target: None
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Knox (severe concussion [3+ consciousness])
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off-map!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2
Tonnage: 65
Target: Checking Available Targets!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one thinking that you should've shot the Nova in the head when you had the chance? The 2nd Donegal might still have a functional tank.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Boogle posted:

Am I the only one thinking that you should've shot the Nova in the head when you had the chance? The 2nd Donegal might still have a functional tank.

The Lucerne would've killed it. I promise.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I thought I read that the Wolfhound lost its other leg the last turn, but I noticed now when it stood up again on a third leg this update that it was just a note for when something hit that non-existant limb now. It was a pretty amusing mental picture in true Monty Python style :v:

Things are getting interesting now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ha, Steiner rules dueling... I love it. And you're managing to stretch out the turns as well! Good show.

Anyway, good to see that the tank crew bailed out, though the Rommel got destroyed... Not sure what other effect they can have on the battle, but good to see that they made it out.

The Wolfhound continues to impress, even if it did get destroyed this turn. The pilot wasn't killed, was he? Seeing as how he was claimed as a bondsman, I think not. Since the Colonel is the only target left available, I would assume that the pilot of B4 is going to go after him next. Challenge him to a Steiner rules duel as well! Play for time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pimpmust posted:

I thought I read that the Wolfhound lost its other leg the last turn, but I noticed now when it stood up again on a third leg this update that it was just a note for when something hit that non-existant limb now. It was a pretty amusing mental picture in true Monty Python style :v:

RL A(S): 10/16 (8/8)

It was missing the left. Anything that hit the left, therefore, transferred into the left torso.

Oh, and as an aside: the Zeus is still dumping ammo and probably doesn't want to be entering a blazing inferno this turn. Just saying.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 10, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's more like it :dealwithit:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
And then there were two...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pimpmust posted:

That's more like it :dealwithit:

in between turns he build a leg out of spare wolfhound parts all around him

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Welp, kudos to the Wolfhound pilot, he did 40~ points of damage to that thing while standing on one leg. I was certainly expecting him to be nuked into oblivion that first turn he stood up.

Go for the chest punch on the Lucerne! Break open that CT and let the fire in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Axe-man posted:

in between turns he build a leg out of spare wolfhound parts all around him

That's not his leg...

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I have now taken to reading the alternate configurations section on Sarna in the voice of the Deadliest Warrior narrator. This poo poo is hilarious.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tanith posted:

I have now taken to reading the alternate configurations section on Sarna in the voice of the Deadliest Warrior narrator. This poo poo is hilarious.

I've never seen Deadliest Warrior (why pay money for cable TV I'll never have time to watch?), but that sounds hilarious.

First person who records and posts themselves doing their best impression of the Deadliest Warrior narrator while reading one of Sarna's "Alternate Configuration" bits gets to name Unknown Heavy 2.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've never seen Deadliest Warrior (why pay money for cable TV I'll never have time to watch?), but that sounds hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YC7DnNqtQQ&t=0m52s

Who still watches shows on television?

And alternatively, give out a prize to someone who does a Deadliest Warrior spoof about two factions facing off, whether they're houses or clans or mercenary groups. List the mechs they bring to the field. Have a megamek battle at the end to determine WHO. IS. DEADLIEST. and get something super-special.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's not his leg...

Sorry for the poor quality.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Stretch those fights out, use those turns!

I've gotta say, while this has been an awesome showing by the 2nd Donegal, I still have the persistent worry that they're dooming themselves in the long run. By becoming one of the foremost units - if not the foremost unit - to impress the Clans, it seems to me you'll see the Clanners falling all over themselves to try and fight the 2nd Donegal - the surest source of battle honor in the Inner Sphere. When your enemy's most prestigious units are all gunning for you, that's a pretty rough situation to be in...

...although come to think of it it'll mean that those units aren't attacking other, less-capable companies. I wonder if Lyran High Command won't start stationing the 2nd Donegal in positions designed to draw out elite Clan warriors in order to relieve pressure from other vital worlds? Rough on the Donegal Guards, maybe, but better for the Commonwealth?

Also, kudos to that Wolfhound pilot, the Little Mech That Couldn't In The End But Still Had Balls Of Solid Steel.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...although come to think of it it'll mean that those units aren't attacking other, less-capable companies. I wonder if Lyran High Command won't start stationing the 2nd Donegal in positions designed to draw out elite Clan warriors in order to relieve pressure from other vital worlds? Rough on the Donegal Guards, maybe, but better for the Commonwealth?

Seems to me that if the Vipers want to attack the Unwearied Second, that would be good for the Lyrans: massively reinforce the Second, station them somewhere accessible and in a good location but not direly needed, and use them to draw off the brunt of the Vipers' ire.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, at least the Wolfhound put up a good fight. Enough for the Clanner who destroyed it to take the player as a bondsman, even.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Seems to me that if the Vipers want to attack the Unwearied Second, that would be good for the Lyrans: massively reinforce the Second, station them somewhere accessible and in a good location but not direly needed, and use them to draw off the brunt of the Vipers' ire.

Yeah, the more I think on it the more I think it'll be great for the Lyrans... just not so good for the actual members of the 2nd Donegal who are now wearing the Universe's Biggest Bullseye.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

landcollector posted:

Well, at least the Wolfhound put up a good fight. Enough for the Clanner who destroyed it to take the player as a bondsman, even.

If PoptartsNinja hadn't said that he didn't want to have goons on both sides of the fight, I'd almost be sure that this is a way to get players on OpFor.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
Well, I gave it a go.

Good luck, Second Donegal!

Also, cheers to PTN for running a really fun game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spencerb posted:

Well, I gave it a go.

I would argue that you gave it a lot more than a go, man. Outmassed by 30 tons by everything else on the battlefield, facing enemies with vastly superior tech, you outlasted the Banshee (RIP Banshee) and fought well enough that you impressed the Clanners enough to be taken as a Bondsman. Sure, it could have worked out a lot better than it did, but as things stand that's still - to my admittedly inexpert eyes - a pretty impressive performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think it would be hilarious if next turn, Rossi orders a withdraw of the entire 2nd Donegal, which happens to require the units in the dropships to come out en masse and shoot the gently caress out of the Clanners. Or there happens to be a couple assault lances withdrawing from a battle just off map. Or perhaps an entire regiment withdrawing from a different world happens to land on Somerset. It doesn't affect the fight, they're just withdrawing forces!

"Didn't specify his route" my rear end. It's your storybook world, so your rules. But that's still an enormous crock of poo poo and probably wouldn't fly in the canon timeline.

Just keep it in mind, Goons. Loopholes and doublespeak have been opened as fair game, and I have great faith that if anything can exploit those newly granted freedoms, it's the Goon Hivemind.

[EDIT] Oh, right. I was so wrapped up in righteous fury I forgot the original reason I was going to post: Good shooting, whoever was piloting the Wolfhound! No wonder they took you as bondsman. Sadly, now they have Donegal honor and courage to look up to, so they might not fight like schoolyard bullies next mission. :saddowns:

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 10, 2011

• Locked thread