Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Yakumo posted:

So, what you're saying is the Vedette isn't considered in partial cover here if the Dig Lord's the one attacking it? You mentioned it was both an advantage and a disadvantage, though, so I assume it works both ways and mechs can't get partial cover from height one?

I'm pretty sure we saw that when the Vedette shot the Diglord in the leg from behind a 1 height dune; of course, getting a decent hit chance is still pretty difficult, since industrial mechs get a -1 penalty to all their shots, plus gunnery 4 on top of that, so it doesn't take much to reduce the hit chances to "better off not bothering".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm pretty sure we saw that when the Vedette shot the Diglord in the leg from behind a 1 height dune; of course, getting a decent hit chance is still pretty difficult, since industrial mechs get a -1 penalty to all their shots, plus gunnery 4 on top of that, so it doesn't take much to reduce the hit chances to "better off not bothering".

The Dig Lord wasn't behind a hill, it was on one. His special rules say that vehicles can attack and be attacked from behind height 1 hills, so the Vedette would have had a clean shot at anything in that spot, not just the mech.

Edit: though that makes me wonder. If only the turret can be shot over height 1, is it only the turret mounted weapons that can shoot from behind a hill or can all weapons?

Yakumo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 3, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Yakumo posted:

So, what you're saying is the Vedette isn't considered in partial cover here if the Dig Lord's the one attacking it? You mentioned it was both an advantage and a disadvantage, though, so I assume it works both ways and mechs can't get partial cover from height one?

Correct.

The advantage being able to shoot down.

Also, don't worry about the IndustrialMech penalty. That's what the tracers are for.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Correct.

The advantage being able to shoot down.

Also, don't worry about the IndustrialMech penalty. That's what the tracers are for.

So this is what you meant by the secret advantage, yes?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, you can shoot targets behind "level 1" hills as if they had no cover, but they can do the same to you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tangent: I had a customer come to work today wearing an old Battletech hat. He even had a Marik pin, so you know he was pretty deep into the fandom.

He was a hopeful backer for HBS Battletech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Voyager I posted:

Tangent: I had a customer come to work today wearing an old Battletech hat. He even had a Marik pin, so you know he was pretty deep into the fandom.

He was a hopeful backer for HBS Battletech.

Did you tell him to shut up?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Should have squawked. :squawk:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looks like you'll have to step on the gas to keep up with the Desert Hawg. No time for backing up or getting to high ground!

I wonder if Phelix's crew knows a ruptured chem tank will immediately kill them, or if he told them the protective gear would keep them safe? Little do they realize, the goggles do nothing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

Like that Dutch Gundam that's a giant windmill?

I love the fact that thing keeps being brought back up in this thread. Neo Holland's Windmill Gundam, everyone!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
My orders are to move to 0807, and fire 2 HE and the Heavy Rifle at Galleon. If the Galleon is destroyed before the Bulldog can fire any shots at it, shoot 1 HE at the Vedette instead.

I have an odd number of HE anyway, so one Hail Mary might be fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

I love the fact that thing keeps being brought back up in this thread. Neo Holland's Windmill Gundam, everyone!

It's odd how this just came up in the Gunpla thread. It's only $500!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

What do the Tracer rounds actually do in-game? The rules I looked up only state that the shots each get a -1 damage penalty and only reduce (or eliminate) environmental penalties; I'm not arguing that the hit chances/damage should be lower, mind, I'm just curious if the tracers have a flat bonus to accuracy (or if everyone else is suffering from environmental problems, for that matter), and if the -1 damage is still there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

What do the Tracer rounds actually do in-game? The rules I looked up only state that the shots each get a -1 damage penalty and only reduce (or eliminate) environmental penalties; I'm not arguing that the hit chances/damage should be lower, mind, I'm just curious if the tracers have a flat bonus to accuracy (or if everyone else is suffering from environmental problems, for that matter), and if the -1 damage is still there.

"Poptarts is fudging things to make fielding an IndustrialMech not be a total chore."

Pretty sure the Dig Lord doesn't have the standard ToHit penalty anyway since it's got a full HUD, but I could be mistaken.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

For those of you wondering, the Dig Lord is powered by a fuel cell engine, not an ICE. So the thing's going to go up like the Hindenburg if that fuel tank eats a crit.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Bloody Pom posted:

For those of you wondering, the Dig Lord is powered by a fuel cell engine, not an ICE. So the thing's going to go up like the Hindenburg if that fuel tank eats a crit.

Wait, so it's not belching clouds of diesel smoke every time it moves or attacks? There goes my mental image.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

Wait, so it's not belching clouds of diesel smoke every time it moves or attacks? There goes my mental image.

Well it produces water vapor as a waste product, so just imagine billowing clouds of vape instead. :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bloody Pom posted:

Well it produces water vapor as a waste product, so just imagine billowing clouds of vape instead. :v:

I guess that explains the pilot.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I think that might make it less prone to engine damage if it falls, to be fair. ICE engines are REALLY poo poo in mechs.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

I guess that explains the pilot.

:aaa:

PTN, please confirm. Is the pilot of the Dig Lord a fedora-wearing neckbeard?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's odd how this just came up in the Gunpla thread. It's only $500!

Nope, too rich for my blood... I'll probably find better deals when I'm working at New York Comic Con this weekend, but probably not that particular Gundam, since that was apparently an exclusive to a con in Japan or something? Not sure I'd want it anyway if I did see it for sale, especially not at that price...

Also, no bids so far too, so I guess no one else wants it (yet) either. Wonder if anyone will actually put down a bid by the time the auction ends on Saturday, but it looks like it probably won't sell, at least to me.

Bloody Pom posted:

:aaa:

PTN, please confirm. Is the pilot of the Dig Lord a fedora-wearing neckbeard?

He's Space Don Quixote with a suitably (self-given?) pretentious name effecting a posh accent with an invented rank and suffixes for himself, as befitting a crazy man eking out a life salvaging here on this desert hellhole in the back of beyond, in a modded mining industrial mech named Sancho Panzer. I really wouldn't be surprised if he was.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 5, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Need orders for the Marsden II.

If I don't get them in time, I'll at least roll you forward five hexes so you're not totally screwed.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Poptarts is fudging things to make fielding an IndustrialMech not be a total chore."

Pretty sure the Dig Lord doesn't have the standard ToHit penalty anyway since it's got a full HUD, but I could be mistaken.

Yeah, the rules really go out of their way to make Industrial Mechs play as terrible as possible, presumably because the writers want people to think that even the shitiest light mech is still far superior to an Industrial: Industrials need an "advanced fire control" to negate the -1 penalty, and get a host of other penalties besides (mainly related to critical hits, especially if falling is possible).

I'm not experienced in Battletech enough to give the best advice (obviously, I think), but the Industrial Mech's wonky status seemed worth mentioning on the chance that the rules applied; if they don't, all the better.

Also, Terranblade did mention moving to 0807, so at least he'll be in the ballpark if he didn't send orders.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 5, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Wouldn't a better name fr the dig lord be Rocinante? Being Don Quixote's really lovely horse.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 3

“I know that horn,” Ezekial mar Vohrs threw open the Commander’s hatch and rose to his full height. A laser from the Galleon tank flashed a dozen meters in front, but Ezekial barely felt the heat of it as his tank drove through the air stirred by that near miss. His ancient eyes peered through his field glasses at a mass of spikes jutting from the sand like weathered stone. They were black and scarred, and the foremost was gnarled and twisted as if by a great heat.

“Scarback,” Vohrs exclaimed, seizing the transmitter attached to his left breast pocket. Sand Whales were voracious desert omnivores with no Terran analog. Theoretically mammalian, they spent most of their lives buried in the sands, connected to the world’s aquifers with a plant-like taproot, siphoning up nutrients and growing to tremendous sizes.

They secreted the excess silica they took in, forming glass-like plates of hardened armor able to deflect autocannon shells and lasers. This armor playing was highly prized, and the plating from a particularly large Sand Whale could sell for as much as a light BattleMech. Vohrs had never met a whale bigger than Scarback. Its armor plating was thicker than his wrist and bore the signs of a dozen failed whaling attempts. The rusted, twisted ruin of a half-dozen harpoons still poked from the creature’s back, and Vohrs had personally seen Scarback flip and then crush a Von Luckner.

“Sand Whale to the west!” he transmitted. “That fool in the Vedette just crossed her taproot—she’s bound to wake up pissed!”

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- No orders received!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Front (6/14 armor remaining)!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Fires SRM-4 (High Explosive) at Galleon (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (High Explosive) at Galleon (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Heavy Rifle at Galleon (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, hit Turret (12/18 armor remaining)!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/10 (Tracer) at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Side (4/13 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit Front (5/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 3!

Vedette
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Thor (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!

Galleon
- Fires Medium Laser at Goblin “Diamondback” (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!

End Phase
Galleon
- Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 7, minor damage sustained!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (0/1)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man that Rotunda is gonna get the poo poo Witnessed out of it,

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Are we able to sideswipe while driving straight forward? If so, that Rotunda is going to get squished.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now we know what the Harpoon ammo is for!! :haw:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just try not to end your movement too close to the Rotunda unless you feel like getting your tracks blown off and watching the mission pass you by. 6 MGs are a very real threat to a tank on an autoscrolling level.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
^^^ Yea, take it down from the rear if possible. No turret means it can't always get a bead on you with it's front mounted MGs. (Two are still in back, but oh well).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I think I'll move to 0709/face to 0708 and fire at the Galleon again. All those misses is a good example of why we need volume fire to do anything; might have even killed it if the Marsden had carried out it's originally planned orders. I think we can leave the Rotunda to the Thor, since it actually has the movement speed to catch up after killing the thing.

I also can't wait to see what the hell the local fauna is going to do to the Vedette.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Everyone remember that one scene from Mass Effect 3 where the giant worm had a fight with the giant robot? That's what I'm pretty much picturing right now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

1107 puts me out of range of the Rotunda and gives me a nice point blank shot at the Galleon's rear end. It's got a clear run out of the bog next turn, so I'd like to try and finish it off now.

Gets me away from that beastie too.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

I think I'll move to 0709/face to 0708 and fire at the Galleon again. All those misses is a good example of why we need volume fire to do anything; might have even killed it if the Marsden had carried out it's originally planned orders. I think we can leave the Rotunda to the Thor, since it actually has the movement speed to catch up after killing the thing.
I don't think you can make that move - you can't drift upslope, so getting to 0709 would leave you facing 0608 or have you stop early in 0710.

Maybe you should consider moving to 0808 instead? It would put you in a nice place to drift the following turn and the Rotunda won't be able to shoot you.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Ardlen posted:

I don't think you can make that move - you can't drift upslope, so getting to 0709 would leave you facing 0608 or have you stop early in 0710.

Maybe you should consider moving to 0808 instead? It would put you in a nice place to drift the following turn and the Rotunda won't be able to shoot you.

You're probably right: I was thinking I might be able to drift to 0711 and then move up, but the example shows drifting taking the whole turn, so it seems that isn't the case, so 0808 is the logical next choice. So basically, new orders are second verse, nearly the first: move to 0808, fire 2 HE and Rifle at Galleon. I can't tell if the Rotunda has full-tank LOS on me from there though, which might require yet another change in location, since that's an ugly risk at such a close range.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I'm thinking I'll go to 0807, get a couple flamers on the Galleon.

Path indeterminate, mostly it boils down to "do I want to also maybe shoot the dead-as-gently caress Rotunda."

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Need orders for the Marsden II.

If I don't get them in time, I'll at least roll you forward five hexes so you're not totally screwed.

My bad. I misread the deadline, thanks for not killing my tank.

orders are in, forward to 1006, kill the galleon.
Now where's that hat.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

I can't tell if the Rotunda has full-tank LOS on me from there though, which might require yet another change in location, since that's an ugly risk at such a close range.
The Rotunda doesn't have a turret or any weapons on its left side, so it shouldn't be able to bring any weapons to bear on you.

For future turns though, it would have 50/50 LOS on you, which means that so as long as you didn't shoot at it, you could decline LOS with the bottom half of your tank. I'm not sure how it would still work if you only used turret mounted weapons.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 6, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orders in. Drifting up to 1107 behind the Galleon and unloading everything into it. If it somehow dies before that I'll take a shot at the Rotunda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

So I pretty much have to run fI've straight up or I'll start getting autoscrolled, right?

• Locked thread