Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Neopie posted:

So I pretty much have to run fI've straight up or I'll start getting autoscrolled, right?

you got it 3/5 buddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, you can still drift, but yeah I expect there won't be as significant amount of maneuvering around the map in this scenario so much as it is about staying in a good position relative to the Hawg and each other.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Ardlen posted:

The Rotunda doesn't have a turret or any weapons on its left side, so it shouldn't be able to bring any weapons to bear on you.

For future turns though, it would have 50/50 LOS on you, which means that so as long as you didn't shoot at it, you could decline LOS with the bottom half of your tank. I'm not sure how it would still work if you only used turret mounted weapons.

Ah, that's right, got thrown off by the turret looking thing on top of it; still probably best if everyone with LOS on it name it as a secondary target at least, since getting 4 machine guns point blank is going to be ugly. Hell, it'll probably manage to line up a rear shot too.

Neopie posted:

So I pretty much have to run fI've straight up or I'll start getting autoscrolled, right?

Get to 1407 or 1406 and machine gun that bastard!

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 6, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't think I saw an answer for this: do the players other than the Hawg have any protection from ordinary vehicle motive damage rolls, or is everyone potentially one hit away from a mission-kill?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I don't think I saw an answer for this: do the players other than the Hawg have any protection from ordinary vehicle motive damage rolls

Nope!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stay the gently caress away from the Rotunda and be really loving careful about exposing your side arcs to anything. The Exhumer in particular needs to be extra cautious, since being wheeled makes it even more vulnerable to single-shot mission kills.

Also, while it doesn't feel good to disagree with you, this seems like it has a lot of potential for players to get hazed out of the game by not-particularly-unlucky rolling. In the first tanks mission you compensated for their frailty to dice by giving everyone more than one unit, but now in addition to having only single tank to command it's also a special scenario where a bad mobility roll straight eliminates someone from the mission. The thought of having that hanging over my head makes this the first scenario in the LP I'd say I'm relieved not to be involved in.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 6, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I find the mortality refreshing. Compared to the nerve-wracking high stakes of the mercenary campaign, this scenario looks more like a slapstick murder-spree with a cast of colorful characters liable to have their machines blow apart at a moment's notice. Take risks, fire wildly, get gibbed four turns in and feel liberated from worrying about metaplot implications or getting some important canon character killed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Also, while it doesn't feel good to disagree with you, this seems like it has a lot of potential for players to get hazed out of the game by not-particularly-unlucky rolling.

In which case they wind up in the next scenario. :shrug:

I'm not a monster, I've done it before.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gwaihir posted:

Now we know what the Harpoon ammo is for!! :haw:

Beat me to it. Sand Worm Whale sign! MAN THE HARPOONS!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

I find the mortality refreshing. Compared to the nerve-wracking high stakes of the mercenary campaign, this scenario looks more like a slapstick murder-spree with a cast of colorful characters liable to have their machines blow apart at a moment's notice. Take risks, fire wildly, get gibbed four turns in and feel liberated from worrying about metaplot implications or getting some important canon character killed.

∆∆∆∆∆
All that. This is a great interlude to SERIOUS BUSINESS fights.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Orders in, moving to 0807 and givin' that there Galleon a petrol enema.

And a potshot at the Rotunda, but I fully expect that to accomplish nothing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 4

“And wherever Scarback is, the Sand Raiders aren’t long in following. They worship it—sacrifice their elderly to it. I’ve seen it myself.” old man Vohrs groused, his voice as grating as a nap in a rock tumbler. From her lounge chair atop her Bulldog, Chastity could see the old coot was right. The Sand Raiders were an odd bunch, equal parts luddites and gun crazies. The only things they seemed to care about were riding the young Sand Whales they tamed and shooting one another—and anything else that got in their way. Even they couldn’t ride a full-grown Sand Whale, but they guarded the young ones jealously and had probably—probably—killed more people than the voracious Sand Whales themselves.

Maybe.

“Chastity!” Krel roared, “stop lollygagging! I’m stopping to let you catch up. Don’t make me wait for you again, or next time I leave you behind and give your share to the wannabe `Mech jock!”

Chastity flipped the distant Desert Hawg the bird. She wasn’t that far behind—she’d have caught up in no time! But that fool Krell didn’t think so. She popped the commander’s hatch atop her Bulldog’s turret and snaked her way inside.

“You heard the man,” she berated her crew. “Get our poo poo in gear!”

PTN's note: My apologies for the sub-par fiction this time, I got stuck doing overtime these past few days due to illnesses at work, so I'm a bit tired.

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Left Side (11/13 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, 4 missiles hit Rear (11/14 armor remaining), Turret (9/18 armor remaining), Rear (8/14 armor remaining), Rear (5/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit 8 (0/14 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Galleon (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Secondary target already destroyed!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Fires Flamer at Rotunda (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 3!

Vedette
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Thor (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Front (39/44 armor remaining)!

Galleon
- Fires Medium Laser at Goblin “Diamondback” (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss! PTN’s note: this would’ve been a turret auto-crit if it’d hit!

Physical Combat Phase:
Scarback
- Rams Vedette (4 base - 1 opposed driving + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Front (12/20 armor remaining)!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)
- Don't make the Desert Hawg wait (2/3)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (0/1)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Shades of Dune, this is great!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So am I right in assuming I have an increased crit chance on my turret?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloody Pom posted:

So am I right in assuming I have an increased crit chance on my turret?

I think it was just that the next number up on the dice (I think PTN uses a dicebox to roll) was a 12 or something.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lesson learned, though. No more driving into close range against targets with turrets.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Clarification question: The hex in front of me has a chance to bog me down?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Had to look up Deadfire missiles.

There's a lot of interesting transitional tech from the 3039 era that you don't see moving forwards.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neopie posted:

Clarification question: The hex in front of me has a chance to bog me down?

They're trees.

They cost an extra MP to move through.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Xarbala posted:

There's a lot of interesting transitional tech from the 3039 era that you don't see moving forwards.

Some things are better left buried.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're trees.

They cost an extra MP to move through.

Gotcha!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

They also wall off tanks. Don't get trapped by trees.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You know what would be completely non-sensical, but funny? If we get in a rough spot due to dice luck, and that reinforcement lance from last mission that never showed up finally arrives.

"Look, our orders were to help the mercenaries. You were all hired to do a job, you're mercenaries. Do you want the logic-breaking, insanely overkill help or not?!"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Do destroyed vehicles count as +1MP for difficult terrain rules? Or only destroyed mechs?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
The Hawg moves five a turn, and most of the player vehicles have a top speed of six or less. Unless it hits some thick terrain soon, like that hill right ahead, players are going to start getting left behind if they keep making turns or drifts.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Is it wrong to want to see the sand worm *TOTALLY NOT FREMEN* riders tear things up?

This mission is already totally worth the vote.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

garland336 posted:

Is it wrong to want to see the sand worm *TOTALLY NOT FREMEN* riders tear things up?

Worm drifting. :stare:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I guess there's rockets shooting out of that worm's rear end or something?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

garland336 posted:

I linked this thread in the SC thread, because of sandworms. I'm sorry.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Welp, better move up to 0810 before the boss gets too upset; doesn't look like much is worth shooting (can't imagine the Rotunda surviving the Diglord), but I might give the Vedette a try with the Cannon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Leperflesh posted:

So I guess there's rockets shooting out of that worm's rear end or something?

Scarback: the Gamera of worms.

Also he's not friend of children, based on the mission backstory. If we can capture him alive, I bet the Cappellans would pay several fortunes for a giant armored worm that excels at murdering women and children.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As a random aside, I did pick up tickets to see Shin Godzilla on the 12th.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PTN, do destroyed vehicles cost an extra MP to drive through?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
What's the Mount A. Divisor? Mount armor? does this make my SRMs useless against the bulls?

regardless, I'm unloading on the veddette from 1309
I've got secondary orders to put a shot from the cannon into the bull riders.
I'm thinking of using the harpoons as well, but I'm waiting on a clarification from PTN on how they work.

Starting to wish I could see just a little further up the map.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xarbala posted:

It's my favorite era of play, and not just because prototype DHS are how DHS should work, period.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The sand whale riders count as infantry, so the Thor Artillery Vehicle's Manmower ability would instantly pulp them with that chainsaw, right? Ablative, you know what you need to do if they get too close to your vic.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

GhostStalker posted:

The sand whale riders count as infantry, so the Thor Artillery Vehicle's Manmower ability would instantly pulp them with that chainsaw, right? Ablative, you know what you need to do if they get too close to your vic.

Do note that they have ACE, so he would either need to predict where they're going to move and run through them, or hope that infantry moral rules are in play so they have to move predictably if they fail.

Of course, flame weapons just so happen to be very good at causing infantry to panic...or better yet, die.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Do note that they have ACE, so he would either need to predict where they're going to move and run through them, or hope that infantry moral rules are in play so they have to move predictably if they fail.

Of course, flame weapons just so happen to be very good at causing infantry to panic...or better yet, die.

Blargh, I forgot about the sand whale riders having ACE when I wrote that.

Oh well, I'd still love to see some chainsaw action, but it looks like it'll be flamers and machine guns dealing with them instead.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

Flame weapons are ludicrous. Remember, these guys might have a 2 armor divisor but still take double damage in clear terrain. That means a single flamer hit is 4d6 men dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

PTN, do destroyed vehicles cost an extra MP to drive through?

Normally yes.

I thought about making this take a piloting test to avoid wreckage, but since you can't control where they're going to end up, I'm going to say 'no.'

• Locked thread