Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Mechwarrior Dark Age
A Brand New Era, A Brand New Saga!
GHOST WAR
a BattleTech novel
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR
MICHAEL A. STACKPOLE

Part 8

Chapter 20

Our main character, whose name I’ve forgotten, leaves Terra to go do his counter-terrorism thing. He’s planning on arriving early for spy reasons, and of course since this is a sitcom his girlfriend’s parents are riding on the same DropShip so he has to dodge them (which he does by dying his hair blonde, growing his beard out, and not bathing so he looks like a scruffy but image-conscious space hobo).

He lands on Basalt, and gets a hotel in downtown Mansville, which really feels phoned in even for BattleTech city names. Plants on Basalt have a blue color, which is actually a nice little detail. Racism is in full force, with all of the forcibly-transplanted Kurita and Capellan populations being treated as second-class citizens by the pro-Davion minority. This is one of those little things that makes me appreciate Stackpole’s writing, his characters aren’t the best but he excels at establishing a mood and his basic world building is very solid. Of course, it’s blatantly obvious he’s setting the scene for Space Kristallnacht, but he might change his mind.

He returns to his hotel room to find the door wide open, gives a little spiel about why he doesn’t bother with the usual juvenile “spycraft” of putting a thread on the door bolt, and then walks in like a moron. A man as big as an Elemental is chilling on a chair in his room like Darkseid. Mason gets forced up against the wall and patted down by Colonel Nicodemus Niemeyer, private enforcer of the local royalty. Niemeyer wants to know why “Sam Donelly” is on Basalt, and Mason replies flippantly that he’s just there to go loving day hiking.

Niemeyer then cements himself as the best character in the novel.

Ghost War posted:

“Then you will be remembering the key rules to your wilderness adventure. Leave everything as you found it. Don’t disturb the native life. Stay on the paths and don’t go wandering because it could be dangerous out there.”

[…]

“Now, this is the part of the conversation we’ve never had. I know why you’re here. I know why all of you are here, and I won’t have it on my planet. If trouble erupts and I know you did it, I’m not going to worry about proof beyond a reasonable doubt. If I bring you in and book you on charges, I face hours of paperwork, months in court, and I hate that. If I burn the back of your skull off with a laser and leave you out there for the nibblers, I file one missing persons report and I’m done. I already have yours filled out, in fact.”

Aside from hitting Peak Stackpole at the end, :allears:

You get the idea, chapter over.

Chapter 21

Mason immediately starts working, getting a feel for the political situation and seeing if he can determine where Mr. Handy’s other ‘teams’ might be. He does so by immediately hitting the nearest dive bar, where, true to his stated intentions of keeping a low profile, he immediately picks a fight with the biggest, dumbest, hairiest man he can find.

He is then immediately rescued by a hot woman who buys him a beer. Mason offers to pay as “thanks for saving his life,” but the woman declines and says if that was the rationale the hairy guy owed them both since Mason had been a hair’s breadth from tipping the guy’s stool over and stomping either his nads or his throat.

She introduces herself as Abla Dolehide, who wears a Stone’s Lament tattoo. She immediately makes him as a fellow MechWarrior and the two sit down to chat. Mason Stackpole keeps things classy.

Ghost War posted:

She started off through the crowd and I found myself distracted again, but not just by her body. She moved so well, so supple and lithe was she, that parts of me were inclined to aching. Her long back hair had been loosely knotted with a red bandana and swayed back and forth from shoulder blade to shoulder blade. She wore her sleeveless gray shirt snug where it should have been snug, and that applied to her cargo pants as well.

:sigh:

I should’ve kept a casual sexism counter for this read through, but needless to say if a character is a woman Mason immediately spends a paragraph contemplating how fuckable they are. He does note that before she’d stepped in, the bar had been hostile, but having her approach had won Mason a measure of respect, which suggested that the ex-Mechwarrior from Stone’s Lament must be an important person (no poo poo).

She’s a mercenary now, and knows she didn’t call Mason in, so she suspects he’s with the ‘other guys.’ Mason says he’s here hunting someone unrelated then trots out the ‘enemy of my enemy’ garbage to try to win her over. Mason immediately makes someone up who’s generic-Chinese so Abla can admit the guy’s not one of hers. Mason asks, if the guy he made up isn’t one of Abla’s, where might he find the guy? She doesn’t have a clue since apparently Mercenaries are being collected on Basalt “like coins.”

Mason asks who has the biggest collection, Abla deflects his questions and makes him guess, so of course he picks the local nobility (and is correct). He then tries to find out what she’s being paid, which she also deflects, so he tells her where he’s staying and sets off to go ‘test the market.’

Mason returns to his hotel and finds someone’s broken into his room again, the ‘spy trap,’ a piece of thread he’d left on the floor where it might have fallen if housekeeping had knocked it loose, had been set up in the doorjam to make it look like no one had ever entered. Rather than walking in on someone who’s obviously trying to surprise him, he returns to the hotel lobby and calls his room three times until a woman (of course) answers. Mason tells her she’ll be a long time waiting for him, and pissed she says that ‘Gypsy sent her to fetch him.’

Gypsy is, of course, Mr. Handy’s local racist code name. Mr. Handy has, of course, learned that Mason’s arrived early. He and his contact meet in the hotel lobby where neither can ambush the other, then go for a walk. Mason tricks the woman into revealing that Mr. Handy has a contact in local spaceport security. He’s led to a group of about 20 people, which he comments is “roughly enough to lead a pair of battalions” which is about right (commander + aid + 3 company commanders + 6 lance commanders x2 = 22). There’re a couple of cyborgs, but no one has a Stone’s Lament tattoo so we can immediately tell he’s not on the same ‘team’ as Abla.

Mr. Handy immediately begins his briefing, admits that the plan is to overthrow the local nobility, and immediately puts Mason in charge of “second battalion” which surprises everyone. One of the people present Mason recognizes instantly as someone who tried to restart the Eridani Light Horse but failed when the Republic told him to gently caress off. The other person he recognized was a war criminal who’d murdered civilians and whom his girlfriend had caught, scarred up, and put in prison before they’d started dating. They glare like they’d expected to be given Mason’s command, but suspects if they had their way they’d be causing a lot of collateral damage.

Handy begins his briefing but Mr. Light Pony cuts him off to outline a plan for dismantling the noble’s support network, starting with Neimeyer’s group. Eridani Light Brony’s plan basically consists of “kill everyone until there’s no one left to fight,” which Mason points out is stupid and then suggests a plan of ‘low-intensity terrorism.’ Before he can explain what that means, the chapter ends.

Chapter 23 (I missed the Chapter 22 break somewhere in there, but it happened)

Mason immediately gives us a history of terrorism that’s about as bland and poorly thought out as you can imagine.

Ghost War posted:

It’s tough to peg when the first act of terrorism occurred. A case could be made for the plagues on Egypt. If we start it there, that’s the only instance where the killing of people has actually succeeded in winning a social cause. Then again, killing one person in every family is a far greater impact than any other terrorist group has ever managed.

:v:

Mason then exposits that mass murder isn’t convincing in a modern society, all it does is unite people against the murderers and make them seem homicidally insane—since most people ‘know inherently’ that ‘killers can’t be trusted.’ He then jacks off poetically about Stone being the only person in the Inner Sphere who truly understood that power comes from the people, something which had been forgotten in the neo-feudal Inner Sphere.

BattleTech in a nutshell posted:

The outright overthrow of a government assumed that the masses didn’t exist. While many of them might not care who was sitting on a throne, their lack of connection with the government created an inherently unstable situation. Once someone with a bigger club came along, the old government was history and new faces appeared on the coins.

So, to overthrow a modern government and make it stick, you have to avoid killing too many people and you have to get the citizenry behind you. If the people are stable and relatively happy, as they are on Basalt, you have to manufacture dissatisfaction with the current government. You have to attack society at its weakest point, show the current rulers are out of touch, and point out that they are impotent and untrustworthy.

Which is where Mason’s plan comes in, since ‘modern society’s weak point is its insulation from reality. No one knew where the food was coming from. He then comments on 21st century politics.

Ghost War posted:

Low-Intensity Terrorism […] attacks that safety net. Attacks in one area lead to attacks in others. Events begin to snowball because we provoke a particular reaction by the government. Having anticipated that reaction, we trump. People lose faith in the government and within months of a concerted effort, the tattered local regime will collapse.

The plan starts with blowing up power junctions to disable just a part of the city’s power (so neighbors are left thinking ‘I’m glad that’s not happening to me,’) and branching out from there until people start realizing the attacks HAVE happened to them and are left wondering why the government isn’t stopping it from happening again. The Government will respond by making grand promises but won’t have the manpower to really stop attacks, and isolated targets will continue to be picked off. The city’s ability to affect repairs will be targeted, and from that point everything the government says or does just makes them look incompetent.

Mr. Eridani Light Brony hates the plan, but he’s a strawman who exists for Mason to demolish so Mason’s certain to get his way. He talks about honor and the way of the warrior and immediately loses the argument by doing so. Of course Mason knows immediately that Brony and Scarface are going to try to have him killed, because his plan ‘offended their honor’ and they’re both big dumb hammers looking for a nail to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Waiting on orders for the DigLord, going to give Neopie a little more time.

I'll go do my grocery shopping and hopefully something will be in when I get back!

Edit: Neopie's requested an extension for RL reasons, so we'll be pushing back the update until Sunday. I'll see about maybe reading another couple of chapters of MWDA Garbage and updating the SWTOR LP instead.

what SWTOR LP?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

terrenblade posted:

what SWTOR LP?

Why, this one, of course! Just the latest in four threads spanning four years of chronicling Star Wars, The Old Republic, started by Moon Slayer and with a number of other LPers jumping in to cover the other characters.

Not that I have any ulterior motive in bringing it to your attention, of course!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I know that it is a millenia in the future and good historians are Lostech, but if the author wants to cite the Jewish Exodus and the prelude to it as something that actually happened then they may just be outright wrong, to say nothing of the protagonist of that book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech's not even especially religious, this was just an opportunity for 2002 Stackpole to be "subtly" pro-Israel.

Right before starting in on anti-Asian Kristallnacht.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech's not even especially religious, this was just an opportunity for 2002 Stackpole to be "subtly" pro-Israel.

:drat:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wouldn't "kill everyone until there's no one left to fight" actually be a pretty good plan where giant stompy robots are concerned? That's like 40 people even in a huge planet spanning fight. You're not exactly taking on the unending legions of the Emperor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Wouldn't "kill everyone until there's no one left to fight" actually be a pretty good plan where giant stompy robots are concerned? That's like 40 people even in a huge planet spanning fight. You're not exactly taking on the unending legions of the Emperor.

It is, but remember Mason's a double-agent. He's trying to gently caress up their plan and make it take forever so he's got a chance to figure out who's really running the show It's the richest man in the Republic, which just goes to show, when the HPGs fail the first thing the public should do to protect themselves is eat the rich.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So is the battletech equivalent of the stereotypical militia nutter a guy with a brutally min-maxed 'mech in a bunker in his basement? That would actually be kind of scary.

Also I don't normally read your Let's Reads, as every good Cappellan knows reading makes you an enemy of the State. So I wasn't really aware of that. :v:

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Zaodai posted:

So is the battletech equivalent of the stereotypical militia nutter a guy with a brutally min-maxed 'mech in a bunker in his basement? That would actually be kind of scary.

Scary-awesome, maybe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Also I don't normally read your Let's Reads, as every good Cappellan knows reading makes you an enemy of the State. So I wasn't really aware of that. :v:

The Confederation sports the highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere!

Because how else are you supposed to keep a watchful eye on your neighbors' mail. The Maskirovka appreciates it when every citizen does their part.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

The Confederation sports the highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere!

Because how else are you supposed to keep a watchful eye on your neighbors' mail. The Maskirovka appreciates it when every citizen does their part.

It has the highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere... among citizens. That has more to do with how hard it is to become (and stay) a citizen than it does anything else.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Scary-awesome, maybe.

A Scary Awesome is exactly what I had in mind. :getin:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Muh Taurian education system!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is it any surprise, after he spent a decade writing about how the Davions were pure, benevolent heroes surrounded by evil Asian stereotypes who hate freedom?

Zaodai posted:

It has the highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere... among citizens. That has more to do with how hard it is to become (and stay) a citizen than it does anything else.

Literacy rates also aren't really an issue outside of House Davion and some lovely Periphery states. Hell, even House Kurita, who will be mad if they have to spend a single Ryu on something that isn't war-related, have universal literacy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is, but remember Mason's a double-agent. He's trying to gently caress up their plan and make it take forever so he's got a chance to figure out who's really running the show It's the richest man in the Republic, which just goes to show, when the HPGs fail the first thing the public should do to protect themselves is eat the rich.

I forget do they have FTL comms again at this point? I imagine doing anything worthwhile on other planets without HPGs would basically be impossible without delegating so much power you're not actually in charge over there anymore (you'd be in feudal europe again - oh hey).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

I forget do they have FTL comms again at this point? I imagine doing anything worthwhile on other planets without HPGs would basically be impossible without delegating so much power you're not actually in charge over there anymore (you'd be in feudal europe again - oh hey).

They have a very small capacity for interstellar communication, but not enough for even important Government transmissions.

House Davion, Kurita, and Steiner are best off since they've got the FTL fax machines. The FWL actually breaks up during the Dark Ages because it's too big to be centrally managed, and the CapCom doubles down on the nationalism to keep everyone in line.

Then Daoshen Liao surprises everyone by being both Competent like his old man Sun Tzu and insane like his Grandpa. He had an incest baby with his sister, but it's OK and not at all racist because he's Black-Chinese. :v:

:smithicide:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

They have some, but a lot of the nets are down.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Then Daoshen Liao surprises everyone by being both Competent like his old man Sun Tzu and insane like his Grandpa. He had an incest baby with his sister, but it's OK and not at all racist because he's Black-Chinese. :v:

:smithicide:

You know what? I don't even care, at least he's half competent instead of just being crazy like Max/Romano. I will take competent and insane over just insane, because at least that makes for a more interesting story than "And then the Davions effortlessly rolled over the evil, evil asian faction, the end."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The evil, evil Asian faction always gets rolled in the end.

:saddowns:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ghost War posted:

It’s tough to peg when the first act of terrorism occurred. A case could be made for the plagues on Egypt. If we start it there, that’s the only instance where the killing of people has actually succeeded in winning a social cause. Then again, killing one person in every family is a far greater impact than any other terrorist group has ever managed.

Fun fact, just ~100 years before the Exodus story was conceptualized during the Babylonian captivity (587-538 BCE) and finalized during the Post-Exilic Period (538-332 BCE), the Neo-Assyrian Empire was committing atrocities on a scale that would not be seen for another 600 years or so. These acts of violence were primarily seen as a way to instill fear into their conquered peoples, an explicit act of terrorism.

Ashurnasirpal states:

quote:

“I flayed as many nobles as had rebelled against me [and] draped their skins over the pile
[of corpses]; some I spread out within the pile, some I erected on stakes upon the pile … I
flayed many right through my land [and] draped their skins over the walls.” †

He continues, boasting:

quote:

“I felled 50 of their fighting men with the sword, burnt 200 captives from them, [and]
defeated in a battle on the plain 332 troops. … With their blood I dyed the mountain red
like red wool, [and] the rest of them the ravines [and] torrents of the mountain
swallowed. I carried off captives [and] possessions from them. I cut off the heads of their
fighters [and] built [therewith] a tower before their city. I burnt their adolescent boys
[and] girls.” †

Tactics such as these were extremely common during the heyday of the Empire, and it's sheer brutality would end up creating one of the first known "multinational" coalitions to deal with the Assyrians in 609 BCE, where the Medes and Babylonians allied to wipe the Neo-Assyrian state off the face of the planet. The Assyrians have never had a country or kingdom of their own since (at least in any official capacity).

Sorry for the hist-sperg in the Battletech LP thread, but I just hate Stackpole.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 20, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PBJ posted:

Tactics such as these were extremely common during the heyday of the Empire, and it's sheer brutality would end up creating one of the first known "multinational" coalitions to deal with the Assyrians in 609 BCE, where the Medes and Babylonians allied to wipe the Neo-Assyrian state off the face of the planet. The Assyrians have never had a country or kingdom of their own since (at least in any official capacity).

The Assyrian culture got wiped out so thoroughly by their angry neighbors that, the story goes, when Alexander rode through the ruins of Nineveh (the capitol of Assyria none of King Arthur's knights could name) less than three centuries after it fell and asked the locals "who made this?" no one could tell him.

Also, current theories (based on satellite archaeology and the tracking of ancient mountain canals) are that the "Hanging Gardens of Babylon" were actually in Nineveh.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't Genghis Khan wipe some civilization off the face of the Earth because they tried to spook him by stealing his poo poo and brutalizing all his diplomats he sent their way?

Trying to terrorize people into submission only works if they lack either the will or the ability to fight back. If they have both, you're probably just getting your own terror back tenfold.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Didn't Genghis Khan wipe some civilization off the face of the Earth because they tried to spook him by stealing his poo poo and brutalizing all his diplomats he sent their way?

Trying to terrorize people into submission only works if they lack either the will or the ability to fight back. If they have both, you're probably just getting your own terror back tenfold.

Aye, the Khwarezmids. He went as far as redirecting a river over the village where Shah Ala ad-Din Muhammad II had been born, erasing it from the map.

The Mongols were masters of psychological warfare and terror tactics, and used it to great advantage when invading.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PBJ posted:

Aye, the Khwarezmids. He went as far as redirecting a river over the village where Shah Ala ad-Din Muhammad II had been born, erasing it from the map.

The Mongols were masters of psychological warfare and terror tactics, and used it to great advantage when invading.

Indeed they were. Because people were incapable of fighting them most of the time. :unsmigghh:

If they had run into a bigger, badder empire they probably would have had a very unpleasant experience heaped upon them in revenge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One historian called the Assyrian strategy 'Calculated Frightfulness'.

These were the guys who would chisel lovely domestic scenes of a family having a picnic in front of their collection of severed enemy heads.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
As I recall, the Assyrians sent some third cousin or something to rule a subjugated city and the cityfolk killed him. So they sent the army back in with explicit orders to wreck the place so completely that not one stone stood atop another.

Could be thinking of a different bunch, though. It was not a happy age.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't remember exactly which ancient empire did this, but there was one that would send its priests to its neighbors' borders and offer bribes to their Gods if they'd abandon their people and treat the invaders as their real followers. They conquered enough people and kept up the offerings to avoid pissing off the extra Gods they'd bribed that it caused them serious economic strain.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think I've heard of the Romans doing that one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It was an ancient Near Eastern Empire. I know the Romans mostly left peoples' gods alone, though, or figured out ways they could just be Rome's Gods but worshiped how you do. It's one reason they didn't burn down the Temple until there were repeated rebellions in Judea. They were like 'Oh, so that's your guy here? Yeah that sounds legit. You keep doing your thing, we're really not into pissing off Gods.'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they were more of a "worship who you like as long as they can fit into our pantheon" type affair (until they converted). One of the many reasons they didn't understand the Hebrews.

edit - Yeah, that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It eventually boiled down to "believe what you want but recognize the genius of the Ceasar" meaning like, the divinity or divine mandate, kind of, of the Caesar/the regular pantheon. What that actually meant was just "burn some incense at an altar of our choice to show allegiance to the state" which was supposedly rejected entirely by the hebrew people (because it meant recognizing a god beyond their own which is pretty much the most important rule to keep). At least if I remember my history right.

But that has nothing to do with big stompy robots other than the robots shaped like or named after roman gladiators and soldiers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think we can all agree that regardless of historical tangents, we need more harpooning of sandworms.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does religion play any meaningful role in Battletech apart from Comstar's occasional Jihad outbreaks? So far as I can tell, Blakism (or whatever the proper name is) isn't really an evangelical state religion type of faith but more like a cult fused with a state ministry and tech company, so I think it's supposed to be pretty indifferent to other faiths, while the Clans basically are a lived religion. Otherwise though the Successor States seem to just have some familiar Earth religions sprinkled in as nationalist flavour rather than as a meaningful part of the setting, another Us and Them signifier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

I think we can all agree that regardless of historical tangents, we need more harpooning of sandworms.

Yes I am actually quietly enraged this isn't happening.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Does religion play any meaningful role in Battletech apart from Comstar's occasional Jihad outbreaks? So far as I can tell, Blakism (or whatever the proper name is) isn't really an evangelical state religion type of faith but more like a cult fused with a state ministry and tech company, so I think it's supposed to be pretty indifferent to other faiths, while the Clans basically are a lived religion. Otherwise though the Successor States seem to just have some familiar Earth religions sprinkled in as nationalist flavour rather than as a meaningful part of the setting, another Us and Them signifier.

They really don't want to touch any modern real-world religion. They'll throw in that Lyran space has seen an upswing in Aesirism interest but they're never going to talk about how going to space and finding alien life reflected on Abrahamic religion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 7

“Let’s make those Sand Shepards eat our dust,” Chastity growled enthusiastically, leaning out of the commander’s chair to kick her driver in the back. The man involuntarily jammed his foot on the gas pedal as his body flinched away from the impact, and only a pull on the tank’s tread-control levers kept them from plowing into a copse of foliage at full speed. It was rare to see Enkra’s fast-growing tree-analogs without any sort of surface water, but the big Sand Whale had undoubtedly gotten to it. She swore the more they drank, the bigger they got. It was probably for the best that the desert was bordered on all sides by high mountains—she didn’t want to know what’d happen if one of them ever made it to the ocean.

At least the whales were just animals, unlike the Sand Raiders. She’d never understand how humans could feel any empathy for creatures that would kill and eat them given half a chance—she’d always suspected it was some unnatural instinct long-ago engendered by mankind’s long association with cats. Empathy wasn’t something Chastity had much use for, but even she (barely) valued other humans more than she would’ve what amounted to a walking armored hole full of teeth. The fact that the Sand Whale was keeping up with the Desert Hawg was worrisome, but for the time being it wasn’t her problem. If it was still there after they’d passed the ridgeline she’d put a few shots into it to encourage it to find a nice oasis to settle down at.

Movement Phase

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Sand Raider Calf Riders #2 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 11, hit! 1 trooper killed!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Holds fire!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Holds fire!

Vedette (BAGC)
- Holds fire!

Vedette
- Holds fire!

Sand Raider Calf Riders 1
- Attack Bulldog (3 base + 2 range + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!

Sand Raider Calf Riders 2
- Attack Dig Lord (3 base + 2 range + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, of 15 troopers, 9 hit dealing 9 damage to Right Arm (14/19 armor remaining), Center Torso (25/29 armor remaining)!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (0/1)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 24, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Uh, the Goblin has an arm and torsos?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

wiegieman posted:

Uh, the Goblin has an arm and torsos?
Pretty sure it is just a typo and it was the Dig Lord that was shot. The stat blocks are right.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 24, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like a c&p error for the dig lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think tanks have steering wheels?

• Locked thread