Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Soooo hold on. If I donate to this Patreon I will receive my very own hand-crafted hard-bitten PTN mercenary, made from finest space-80s cardboard and fed on pure whiskey and gravel?

Only if you donate $5 or more per month. The $5 is the tier where you get a PTN-designed merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Shoeless posted:

Only if you donate $5 or more per month. The $5 is the tier where you get a PTN-designed merc.

And you'd have to tell PTN he's composed of cardboard, whiskey, and gravel. And, I assume, lead paint because paint that doesn't poison you is lostech.

Also, omg that lyran mech reporter icon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Loxbourne posted:

Soooo hold on. If I donate to this Patreon I will receive my very own hand-crafted hard-bitten PTN mercenary, made from finest space-80s cardboard and fed on pure whiskey and gravel?

I promise all mercenaries are carefully cut out of our finest cardboard and have all been carefully tested to make sure they meet minimum standard levels of alcoholism, barroom scars, and outreach gutter runoff.

Zaodai's is a future Wobbie Shadow Legion member, and D.I.'s was drummed out of both the Nagelring and Sanglamore for academic misconduct.

Edit: How the hell did I typo 'misconduct'?

Double edit: Speaking of which, another Mercenary's been finished. More to come over the next few days!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 28, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Loxbourne posted:

Mine got kicked out of the Nagelring AND Sanglamore! Nobody else has ever done that.

E: beaten like my 5/2 pilot in anything involving gunfights.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

E: beaten like my 5/2 pilot in anything involving gunfights.

You're in a Nightsky, that's what the pulse lasers are for.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It occurs to me that I now have a character to play my first Battletech campaign as when the game eventually gets released. I don't think the Thug is in that lineup and it's not that far down the timeline for Wobbie stuff, but this will be the part where we're rolling with the Hotheads.

We don't need no water (because that dropship got captured by pirates), let the motherfuckers burn. :hellyeah:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're in a Nightsky, that's what the pulse lasers are for.

Also I play with the rule where you get a bonus on melee attacks for having a better piloting skill than the other guy

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Slowly working my way through the Mercenaries list. I like the pair I finished today.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Wild swan has an interesting background it will be fun to play as that merc in a campaign

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for mine PTN! Headshot's mech actually fits my playstyle perfectly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Of course the Devil's Due's first shot is an improbable front-armor TAC.

If anyone gets one-shotted I'll be seeing them next scenario.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Five dollars are thrown your way (as soon as it actually transfers). I hope I have aided you in acquiring tons of cool 80s drugs to fuel your Battletech bender.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I really hate Excel sometimes. There's nothing quite so fun as having my entire workbook decide to change the default width of the cells I'm using without any prompting or input from me resulting in nonsense like this:

:ughh:

This isn't the first time this has happened, either. Fortunately, I did a smart thing last time and wrote down the width I use just in case. I should never have had to do that, Microsoft! :argh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 30, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe Microsoft just knows what is best for you, Poptarts. You didn't think of that, did you? :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 9

Phelix growled in frustration as a shot from the Devil’s Due’s high-bore autocannon blew off the left-side IR camera. The impact had been enough to make the nearest crewmen flinch in fear, which the notorious tank commander ignored. How they felt hardly mattered: if they feared being killed, they’d fight all the harder and if they didn’t they were either adrenaline-junkies, easily-manipulated fools, or both. Still, Phelix had to admit his gunnery had been below his usual exacting standards.

With a loud ‘bah’ he relinquished turret control to his gunner’s station. The man had a steadier hand and more patience than his commander, so perhaps that would make the difference. Phelix remained a firm believer in micromanagement however, and shifted into his true role as combat coordinator without a second thought, designating high- and low-threat targets and sending priority lists for his gunner to sift through. If the man was as good as his resume claimed, he’d have no trouble with them. If he wasn’t, it didn’t take much effort to dig a shallow hole in sand and finding a replacement even less.

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Vedette (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Rear (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Devil’s Due (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Devil’s Due (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 8, miss!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Fires Heavy Rifle at Vedette (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (HE) at Vedette (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (HE) at Vedette (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 4, miss!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Vedette (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 3!

Vedette
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Marsden II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Front (30/35 armor remaining)!

Vedette BAGC
- Crew stunned!

Devil’s Due
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Goblin (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Front (26/36 armor remaining)! TAC!

End Phase
Goblin (Player)
- Critical chance in Front: rolled 9, sensors hit!

Physical Combat Phase:
Scarback
- Rams Desert Hawg (4 base + 0 opposed driving + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Side (32/40 armor remaining)!

Thor Artillery Vehicle
- Attacks Vedette BAGC with Dual Saw (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 dual saw = 6): rolled 9, hit Front (33/40 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Attacks Vedette BAGC with Backhoe (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 backhoe = 7): rolled 7, hit Turret (24/30 armor remaining)! TAC!

End Phase:
Vedette BAGC
- Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 6, minor damage sustained!
- Through-armor critical chance in Turret: rolled 12, turret blown off! Vehicle destroyed!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (Complete!)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I was about to be all :smith: that no one shot at the freebie tank with the stunned crew.

Then I got to the physicals phase and swapped to :getin:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Fear the backhoe, bitches!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well the scroller boss is here.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I really hate Excel sometimes. There's nothing quite so fun as having my entire workbook decide to change the default width of the cells I'm using without any prompting or input from me resulting in nonsense like this:

This is why i've been making the hop to open source tools, like libreoffice. Zimwiki is the notepad replacement i didn't even know i wanted until someone mentioned it to me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For real spreadsheeting, as sad as it is, every alternative to excel sucks more than excel does. You're kind of doomed. In this case, if the auto-width box got checked somehow I could see it breaking a template, or fit-to-width or whatever they call it this week.

text-editors, though. I got some opinions on those :v:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Psion posted:

text-editors, though. I got some opinions on those :v:

lets hear em. (if its a derailment, i have private messages)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:sigh:

Why does it seem like I can never hit the broad side of a McKenna?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd like to point out, you had three 9s to-hit and rolled... three 8s.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ablative posted:

I'd like to point out, you had three 9s to-hit and rolled... three 8s.

I rest my case. :shepicide:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

We can't all be as magnificent as Uncle Stevie.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Aww, Scarback got scrolled off without it getting harpooned at all... Welp, at least that secondary objective is done with due to that.

Also, backhoe rips off the disabled Vedette's turret. Guess it wasn't that much of an "Actually Good Custom" after all, though getting stunned for three turns due to Infernos landing on you will do that to any vehicle, it seems.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
You know what does work? Backhoes do work.

That last Vedette could stand to get hailed on, but the Devil's Due is shaping up to be dangerous. Good hunting, goonforce!

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
[Mardison II]

I'll be ending my move in 909 and giving the devil's due what for.
that should put me at short range for my ac/5 and medium range for it's ac/10.
I expect to take a hit from the Vedette

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

vorebane posted:

You know what does work? Backhoes do work.

That last Vedette could stand to get hailed on, but the Devil's Due is shaping up to be dangerous. Good hunting, goonforce!

We don't have the accuracy to do good hunting :(.

I want to move straight up with the Bulldog (to 0608), but 0612 is probably rough terrain so it's more likely it'll end up at 0710. Either way, firing everything (HE/Rifle) at Teal Vedette, with alt fire being Das Boot.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Goblin

Moving to 0708 facing 0707, and unloading everything into the Vedette. If it dies before that, shooting the boat. I won't be focusing on it until I can actually get into close range.

Edit: My previous orders would have put me at short range for the AC/10 again. Lesson learned.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Edit: My previous orders would have put me at short range for the AC/10 again. Lesson learned.

Not necessarily a bad thing if it also puts you at short range, but if it doesn't you're not trading damage favorably. You've got two chances to dish out 8 damage but a shorter range, they've got one shot of 10 but a slightly better chance to hit. The only time they're going to have a clear advantage is if you manage to wind up exactly five hexes away where their hit chance is going to be close to 1:2 and yours is closer to 1:5.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not necessarily a bad thing if it also puts you at short range, but if it doesn't you're not trading damage favorably. You've got two chances to dish out 8 damage but a shorter range, they've got one shot of 10 but a slightly better chance to hit. The only time they're going to have a clear advantage is if you manage to wind up exactly five hexes away where their hit chance is going to be close to 1:2 and yours is closer to 1:5.

That was the exact problem with my previous orders. It put me at five hexes away from the DD, where it would have the clear advantage, especially with my gimpy sensors.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

I want to move straight up with the Bulldog (to 0608), but 0612 is probably rough terrain so it's more likely it'll end up at 0710. Either way, firing everything (HE/Rifle) at Teal Vedette, with alt fire being Das Boot.
As a tank, I am fairly certain you cannot drive through the trees in 0612.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

As a tank, I am fairly certain you cannot drive through the trees in 0612.

They've got treads, they're fine. Only wheeled tanks are barred from woods.

The real killer is the swampy terrain, which eats extra MP and has a chance to bog them down every hex. One failed driving roll and they'll get scrolled off the map.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A slight pity the Scarback got auto-scrolled, the way it was hugging the Desert Hawg I thought it was going to be more of a challenge to peel off - but hey, one less thing to worry about! I also like that the comment from last update about the Exhumer's backhoe operator being eager for violence paid off in a pretty spectacular elimination, probably a stunt worthy of Fury Road.

Phelix comes off as kind of a dick, though he's definitely fun to read about. The whole cast are pretty colourful characters, I wonder if we'll meet the Devil's Due crew/leader?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Phelix comes off as kind of a dick

I'm writing him like a James Bond villain so I'd hope so.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Exhumer

Headin' on up to 0807, putting some fire in the Vedette, 'cause gently caress it I'm rolling hot poo poo so far!

Also because I have few other options. Range is my enemy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just an FYI, my parents are visiting (with very short notice) tomorrow and Thursday, so this update might be delayed. I'm still going to try to get it done on time, but I can't make any promises.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just an FYI, my parents are visiting (with very short notice) tomorrow and Thursday, so this update might be delayed. I'm still going to try to get it done on time, but I can't make any promises.

Are you at least getting a decent meal out of the visit? That'd probably be worth the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A meal and probably a road trip to somewhere nearby that I wouldn't normally visit because I've already been more than once (last time we visited Devil's Tower).

• Locked thread