Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
I'll go ten PopTartPoints against. It's full of LRM ammo and running from a lot of angry tonnage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Augustus is loving dead.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
25 PopTartPoints against. Lanners are decent enough machines, but the throw weight of fire aimed at it should be enough to put it down one way or another.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

18 PTN points that the Lanner survives this round, just because our sheer concentrated hatred isn't sufficient to kill a mech. :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ikuta Glacier: Tactical Update 13

Star Captain Aisha Ruby sat in silence, her slender fingers curled like claws around her command couch’s armrests. They’d been utterly decimated in the two minutes since the Star Colonel Vickers’ Mad Dog had tumbled into the crevasse. Of the `Mechs that had fallen, only Yered’s Mad Dog had managed to climb back out. Their defeat was total and humiliating, even after Star Captain Siddha Conners seized control and recalled the nearer scouting elements. Her scowl turned grim as the last of their reinforcements had its arm picked off in typical Clan fashion. Why destroy what you could cripple and force to surrender? That was the way of Inner Sphere barbarians.

There was no sense in dragging things out. Star Captain Conners had fallen, and as Aisha’s `Mech still functioned—technically—that put her in charge of the Cluster. A ruined Cluster, one which had been practically annihilated by a single Supernova. She could continue. Could force the enemy to kill her—but that would be cowardice of the worst sort. The desperate actions of a commander too cowardly to face failure and too rigid to recover from one.

“Goliath Scorpions,” She broadcast, steeling herself against the dizzying sensation of hollowness that seemed to bubble up from deep within her gut. “This is Star Captain Aisha Ruby, acting commander of the 66th Crusader Cluster. We of Clan Widowmaker stand down, repeat: all forces of the 66th are to surrender, effective immediately. We have lost twenty-three `Mechs to your three. Even if you have not located and destroyed our final scout star it is only a matter of time—time which will be more productively spent conducting recovery operations before too many good warriors die of exposure.”

Movement Phase
Executioner G (Player)
- Attempts to stand (3 base = 3): rolled 5, succeeds!

Nova G (Player)
- Attempts to stand (4 base = 4): rolled 11, succeeds!

Shooting Phase
Executioner G (player)
- Fires iHeavy Large Laser at Black Lanner (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires iHeavy Large Laser at Black Lanner (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (0/13 armor, 1/9 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 37 heat, sinks 37!

Grand Dragon “Yuki-Onna” (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Crossbow G (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 27!

Stormcrow Prime (player)
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 47!

Ironhold Battle Armor 5 (player)
- Holds fire!

Pouncer Prime (player)
- Fires ER PPC at Black Lanner (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 Targeting Computer Aimed Shot = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Black Lanner (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 Targeting Computer Aimed Shot = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 27! Overheating!

Elementals 3
- Holds fire!

Nova G (player)
- Fires iHeavy Large Laser at Black Lanner (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 37!

Wraiths 1
- Holds fire!

Timber Wolf G (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 33!

Elemental 4
- Holds fire!

Huntsman G (player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (12/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/9 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Rear Left Torso (0/5 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! 2 Engine hits!
- - - Damage transfers to Rear Center Torso (6/7 armor remaining)!
- Fires iHeavy Medium Laser at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires iHeavy Medium Laser at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Black Lanner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 42 heat, sinks 39!

Wraith 2
- Holds fire!

Hellbringer Prime (field refit)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 31!

Black Lanner B
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0112!
- Fires LRM-20 at Huntsman G (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 12 missiles hit Right Arm (0/4 structure remaining (Arm blown off! Damage transfers to Right Torso (17/18 armor remaining))), Right Torso (12/18 armor remaining), Left Torso (16/18 armor remaining)!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Black Lanner G
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Huntsman G
- Kicks Black Lanner (4 base + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 kick = 8): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (2/22 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
- The opposing force has no functioning weapons!

[N/A]

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Necrosia Stimulants Once per game, BattleMechs and Elementals may inject themselves with Necrosia stimulants granting them heightened reaction times for three turns. While Necrosia stimulants are active, Mechwarriors gain a -1 bonus to gunnery due to their heightened reaction times but suffer a +1 penalty to piloting tests due to minor visual hallucinations. Elementals in Ironhold Armor gain a -1 bonus to gunnery with no penalties. All other Elementals instead gain a -2 bonus to Anti-Mech attacks with no penalties.
Icy Conditions Ice hexes are in play. At the bottom of the ravine, all ice hexes are treated as though they are elevation -6. It is possible to break through these ice hexes and fall into the liquid water below. If a `Mech does not extract itself from the water in two turns it will be frozen in place and immobilized (or destroyed if completely submerged).
-60 C All `Mechs cool 3 additional points each turn

House Rule
Heavy Vibro Claws deal +1 damage per claw per elemental on leg and swarm attacks rather than the standard ruling.

Primary Objectives
- Achieve 100% humiliation or more (Complete!)

Secondary Objectives
- Push or charge a Widowmaker unit into the ravine (+10%/10%)
- Kill Star Colonel Jolán Vickers (+10%/10%)
- Leave one crippled enemy alive (+10%/5%) (+5% if that unit is an enemy officer)
- Completely destroy a crippled enemy (+10%/10%)
- Defeat 3 `Mechs with Elementals (+10%/10%)
- Drug Free: defeat 5 enemy `Mechs without the aid of Necrosia (+10%/10%)
- Battle High: defeat 5 enemy `Mechs with the aid of Necrosia (+10%/10%)
- Give the Hunchback IIC pilot an honorable death OR capture them honorably (+0%/10%)
- Score twice as many kills than the Glacier (10%/10%)
- - Players 20
- - Glacier 3
- Kill an enemy `Mech without breaching its armor (+10%/10%)

After-Action Report:
“We have met the enemy, and he is ours.” ~Oliver Hazard Perry

A 12 turn victory against a force with a 29,000 BV advantage (not counting the Elementals or the Kirghiz half-star, which evened things out a little but nonetheless had less impact than I was expecting). Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen, you just won the sort of victory that would be too unrealistic to write an actual story about!

You know the drill, MVP vote to buy me time to write some politics!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Opposing Force Status:

Olothreutes posted:

I'll put 10 PopTartPoints on the Black Lanner surviving, despite all odds. Bonus points if it loses its left torso and still survives with no weapons.

The Black Lanner still stands! And the left torso is gone! BONUS POINTS!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kirghiz for getting things off to a smashing start, and that Lanner for being a resilient beast to the end there.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Player MVP: Crossbow. For all the crit-seeking goodness.

OpFor MVP: Black Lanner. He was one of the few that didn't die completely ignominiously.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Player MVP, Pouncer Prime. Those things are fragile, yet it did plenty, with and without its targetting computer. Ended the fight with 1 armor on its head and both arms, but no breaches. Extra style points for that.

Opfor MVP, the Black Lanner, for aiming high and standing tall.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Real MVP: the glacier.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Player MVP, Pouncer Prime. Those things are fragile, yet it did plenty, with and without its targetting computer. Ended the fight with 1 armor on its head and both arms, but no breaches. Extra style points for that.

Opfor MVP, the Black Lanner, for aiming high and standing tall.

wiegieman posted:

Real MVP: the glacier.

Why re-type when you can quote? These are my votes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The glacier for player MVP and Vickers for enemy MVP on account of a death so ignominious it wrapped back around to useful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Player MVP: Khirgiz pilots.
Enemy MVP: Black Lanner.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Kirghiz aren't eligible, they weren't under player control.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alright then, it's the Night Gyr for enduring a staggering amount of return fire constantly, and doing a fancy rainbow dance while popping a fool in the face even as it finally shut down due to lack of engine.

(and still the Lanner for opfor)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Ebon Jaguar for the players. I think this is the first Cauldron Born not to get completely diced.

Hellbringer Prime. The only Opfor member who killed a mech pilot.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Kirghiz aren't eligible, they weren't under player control.
So the glacier is also ineligible for MVP? drat, and it killed with such panache too.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, what's the casualty count for the goon supernova? One Mechwarrior and four elementals for sure KIA, with two more mech jockies to be recovered? That's... humiliating

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

So, what's the casualty count for the goon supernova? One Mechwarrior and four elementals for sure KIA, with two more mech jockies to be recovered? That's... humiliating

And some sweet cybernetics for August.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Player MVP: Pouncer Prime. Good use of PPC's and keeping cool while jumping around.
OpFor MVP: Black Lanner, as previously mentioned.

Real MVP: The Glacier. The Great Equalizer.

I had a bundle of fun even if I didn't get to complete my objective.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

EponymousMrYar posted:

I had a bundle of fun even if I didn't get to complete my objective.

It's hardly your fault the enemy died too fast.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Ebon Jaguar for the players. I think this is the first Cauldron Born not to get completely diced.

Aw shucks :kiddo:

Voting for myself would be inappropriate, so my Player MVP goes to the Crossbow for sheer critspam.

Opfor MVP goes to the Black Lanner B for pulling off one hell of a shot and nearly killing our CO.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Glacier Dragon mostly because its just a cool story to drive in, help murder a few Widowmakers, then drive back out pretty much unscathed.

Hunchback IIC for showing up in a Hunchback IIC.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It was loads of fun and I would definitely play again, even though I accomplished very little.

My MVP goes to the Glacier.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Crossbow for players and Black Lanner for OpFor.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Goon MVP: Night Gyr that was some fancy dancing. Bad dice did what so many lasers couldn't.

Enemy MVP: Black Lanner B That was such a cheeky strat, short-range LRM-20s.

I had a lot of fun. I got to shoot a 'Mech in the back of the head, my little buds got to chew up the Langur, and there was some great teamwork and stompy violence.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goon MvP. Executioner for murdering stuff.

OpFor MVP. Black Lanner. Dangerous pilot.

Real MvP: The glacier for eating mechs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

jng2058 posted:

The Glacier Dragon mostly because its just a cool story to drive in, help murder a few Widowmakers, then drive back out pretty much unscathed.

Hunchback IIC for showing up in a Hunchback IIC.

Seconded.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
What an interesting mech. The ability to roll for a crit with EACH MISSILE when using HE is quite powerful, and I think the LRM version of the crossbow would have been much less effective.

That said, it only worked here because of a few factors:
1. I was the last mech to shoot in my star, so heavy lasers and gauss rifles had a chance to open up some armor to get those crits basically from the first turn of team targeting
2. My team played in a coordinated, aggressive way that allowed me to close to HE range without being set on fire because I was the best, highest priority target.
3. PTN plays a fluff game. I did a lot of poor move mods to get perfect position to deal damage. If PTN had started focusing on me, I would have died quickly and been forced to run as far as I could to try to stay alive. That would have resulted in a lot more ATM ER shots.

Thanks for a great game.

Ebon Jaguar for player MVP. Some key tactical decisions early let the northern group deal with some scary big mechs that could have overwhelmed us if the jag went hunting lights to fulfill its objective early.

Hunchback IIC for OpFor MVP. A mech for punching above its weight, but not only was it super scary and disruptive (which it should be) it managed to not die and only didn't wreck our collective faces in the north because of a well timed Aero strike.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I have no strong feelings either way, so favoritism vote GO!:

Player MVP: The Ebon Jaguar because I like the 'mech and the player did fine.
OpFor MVP: Chump-in-Chief Vickers, because he was talkin' that gooood poo poo until he got kicked in his chest dumped in a ravine.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
drat fine work everyone: the boys in the north had to deal with a lot of crazy legwork from the enemy, so you all have my respect. More importantly, the Widowmakers just got curbstomped so hard that Natasha Kerensky is going to blow a gasket.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

drat fine work everyone: the boys in the north had to deal with a lot of crazy legwork from the enemy, so you all have my respect. More importantly, the Widowmakers just got curbstomped so hard that Natasha Kerensky is going to blow a gasket.

I feel the south had the harder job, even though the north was more badly outnumbered. You had to take on mixed heavies and assaults with a single medium-weight star.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, southern star would have been in a ton of trouble without most of the Elemental support and those couple lucky headcaps on the Wolf Spider and Hellbringer.

e: And the poor Warhawk that spent 5 turns running around going AAAAAA getting swarmed by Wraiths.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goonstar did a great job all around, so I don't feel too bad tossing in a joke vote for the Grand Dragon to keep fighting the good fight. Also because she was a genuinely interesting and amusing way to get a player back into the game after they got shot out by a surprise headcap.

As for the Opfor, I'm tossing another vote at the Black Lanner. By keeping cool and taking a very big risk, they very nearly headcapped Goonstar's leadership.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Goonstar did a great job all around, so I don't feel too bad tossing in a joke vote for the Grand Dragon to keep fighting the good fight. Also because she was a genuinely interesting and amusing way to get a player back into the game after they got shot out by a surprise headcap.

As for the Opfor, I'm tossing another vote at the Black Lanner. By keeping cool and taking a very big risk, they very nearly headcapped Goonstar's leadership.

Ditto. Player MVP Grand Dragon, Opfor MVP Black Lanner.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

e: And the poor Warhawk that spent 5 turns running around going AAAAAA getting swarmed by Wraiths.

I remembered all the horror stories you guys used to tell of Warhawks sitting on hills headcapping everything with Clan LPLs, and saw we were in the same general situation and I knew needed to drop them right away on it before it started doing some real damage to us.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Player MVP Grand Dragon - for showing that Rasalhague still fights.

Opfor MVP Hunchback IIC - for actually checking up on their frozen commander.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hope we get a choice in the next theater vote to FREE RASSALHAUGE. (or die a glorious Space Viking death trying).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

I hope we get a choice in the next theater vote to FREE RASSALHAUGE. (or die a glorious Space Viking death trying).

Actually, minus the 'Mad Max' interlude, we've been fighting Clans for quite some time.

Can we see some choices for pure 'Spheroid vs. Spheroid' action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

Actually, minus the 'Mad Max' interlude, we've been fighting Clans for quite some time.

Can we see some choices for pure 'Spheroid vs. Spheroid' action?

Well, we had whats his name Marik and Comstar vs Liaoshan AI controlled Mechs, that was sphere v sphere.

That said, there's very little that is truly sphere vs sphere anymore as all the houses have their tech bonuses courtesy of the timeline changes. (I'm down for any interesting fight.)

• Locked thread