Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, that's Roar of Honor.

Wait, they wrote a book about the Ghost Bears? drat, I stopped reading BT books too soon.

Edit: Ghost Bear clawing snipe :sweden:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Bad Moon posted:

Wait, they wrote a book about the Ghost Bears? drat, I stopped reading BT books too soon.

It's by Blaine Lee Pardoe and if I remember right, it features no dramatic tension whatsoever because the bland Mary Sue protagonist can do no wrong.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Both Mechcommander 1 and 2 are freely available now. They went from several years of being up as ISO's at mechcommander.org with Microsoft being fully aware of it but neither condoning or C&D'ing, and then in Autumn last year apparently something changed and mainstream sites started hosting.

Here's Fileshack's page: http://www.shacknews.com/search?q=mechcommander

e: mechcommander 2 is fun right up to the point where you realise that enemies will target the first unit they see and never switch targets.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 12, 2011

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's 3:30am and I just designed something that essentially amounts to a Fire Moth with 4 tons worth of ER Micro Lasers and a targeting computer. Who cares if you can't take a hit when you can put 32 points of damage where you want them and then use MASC to run out of weapons range?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Alchenar posted:

Both Mechcommander 1 and 2 are freely available now. They went from several years of being up as ISO's at mechcommander.org with Microsoft being fully aware of it but neither condoning or C&D'ing, and then in Autumn last year apparently something changed and mainstream sites started hosting.

e: mechcommander 2 is fun right up to the point where you realise that enemies will target the first unit they see and never switch targets.

Mech Commander 2 actually had it's Source Code released and there's a giant restoration project.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The only correct way to play MechCommander 2 is with a huge horde of UrbanMechs. Nothing shall stand in the way of the mighty trashcan assault!

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

It's 3:30am and I just designed something that essentially amounts to a Fire Moth with 4 tons worth of ER Micro Lasers and a targeting computer. Who cares if you can't take a hit when you can put 32 points of damage where you want them and then use MASC to run out of weapons range?

Yeah, it's way too engrossing. I stayed up designing a 35t light Omni that moves 9/23/11 with supercharger and partial wing, armed with two claws, talons, and no armor whatsoever. I named it "Bird of Prey BOP-3". Ahh, experimental tech and fractional accounting.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Rivensteel posted:

Yeah, it's way too engrossing. I stayed up designing a 35t light Omni that moves 9/23/11 with supercharger and partial wing, armed with two claws, talons, and no armor whatsoever. I named it "Bird of Prey BOP-3". Ahh, experimental tech and fractional accounting.

You know what'd be a kind of cool game? Fantasy Solaris.

Instead of actually playing the matches out on tabletop, you just design the mechs, hire and train the pilots, see how well/badly you do, and so on. Wouldn't need complex graphics or anything like that, since just building mechs in SSW is pretty fun.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I endorse and support:
-LPs of both Mechcommander games, because they are awesome
-Solaris matches
-The next mission
-Punching clanners in the stomach, or their mechs stomach, or whatever presents itself
-Duncan Fisher
-Owls

That is all.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Duncan Fisher is the man. Did he exist before the Mechwarrior PC games and has he been mentioned in any of the books since?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

If I was being more serious, I'd probably make a fast 60-tonner with a Booby Trap, one-shots only, and standard materials, call it the Solahamamobile, since the whole point is to get into a duel with an enemy mech and explode, dying with honor because you took out the other guy in the process. Sadly, SSW doesn't support the Booby Trap so I can't actually give you a readup of it.

code:
Firework 
Son I am dissapoint.....

Where is the Compact Gryo? Compact Fusion Engine? Small Cockpit? There are several crits there being wasted on PFAH! armour!

Get back to work and strip out more crits!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Duncan Fisher is the man. Did he exist before the Mechwarrior PC games and has he been mentioned in any of the books since?

Nope, he was made up specifically for MW:4.

Check this out http://georgeledoux.com/pastclients/newpage/mechwarriormercena/

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Son I am dissapoint.....

Where is the Compact Gryo? Compact Fusion Engine? Small Cockpit? There are several crits there being wasted on PFAH! armour!

Get back to work and strip out more crits!

Compact Gyro and Compact Fusion Engine are IS only technologies, same with the Small Cockpit.

If you made an IS version, you'd have to fall back onto the RL10, which cuts the damage output (6 vs 8 average damage per rack), and the extra 6 crits worth of firepower don't make up for it any.

It's all a game of compromises.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

Compact Gyro and Compact Fusion Engine are IS only technologies, same with the Small Cockpit.

If you made an IS version, you'd have to fall back onto the RL10, which cuts the damage output (6 vs 8 average damage per rack), and the extra 6 crits worth of firepower don't make up for it any.

It's all a game of compromises.
There's a lovely option on the menu called "mixed tech" which allows you to use both IS and Clan stuff on the same mech. No compromises when making a broken mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Still waiting on orders from the Cyclops.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Alchenar posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I get absolutely atrocious frame-rates when trying to run MechCommander 2 and 1, just like the frame-rates I get when I try to run Tiberian Sun. It's utterly unplayable.

I'm using a windows 7 x64 system that can run Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 2142 on high graphics settings, so it's not my hardware. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: VVV Thanks. I will try that.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

I'm using a windows 7 x64 system that can run Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 2142 on high graphics settings, so it's not my hardware. Anyone have any ideas?

Try running them in Windowed mode. I know it's odd, but sometimes it's a screen resolution thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still waiting on orders from the Cyclops.

I am an idiot, preliminary orders sent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No worries, I know how hectic things can be.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've actually been kicking around the idea of doing a Mechcommander Gold LP for a few months now. The problem is, I'm not that good at it. Normal difficulty generally sees half of my mechs trashed to pieces by the end of an average mission, and easy difficulty is just too easy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polaron posted:

I've actually been kicking around the idea of doing a Mechcommander Gold LP for a few months now. The problem is, I'm not that good at it. Normal difficulty generally sees half of my mechs trashed to pieces by the end of an average mission, and easy difficulty is just too easy.

Well on the 3rd mission there's the chance to cheese yourself a Madcat. That makes the rest of the game very easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgSTCAGbIo

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Alchenar posted:

Well on the 3rd mission there's the chance to cheese yourself a Madcat. That makes the rest of the game very easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgSTCAGbIo

Oh, trust me. I know all about that (I have beaten the game several times).

The problem is getting it in decent enough shape to make it worth it. Either it utterly demolishes your group (since I think the heaviest mech you can have then is a Centurion), or your group shoots it to pieces and you have a 75-ton paperweight with one Clan machine gun. Or you set off the explosive tanks and blow it to tiny bits.

I've gotten it in decent shape *once* when my Centurion got a lucky cockpit hit in on the first shot.

EDIT: Well, I just watched your link. That's certainly a method I'd never considered :v:

Polaron fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 12, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, no, no, watch the clip. There's a very easy way to use arty strikes to cheese yourself the madcat intact at the cost of 1 mech (salvagable).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Before this post, I had never heard of Micro Lasers. This is just like the post where I was gushing about finding out about Inferno Missiles :smith:

I need to get one of those proper tools for making mechs again and see just how many players will refuse to spar with me after creating stuff like this :D

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

It's pretty simple, really. You target a hex instead of a unit. The shot hitting is delayed by 1 turn per map sheet's distance you are from the target (within 1 sheet, hits this turn, 1 sheet away, hits next turn, etc). Unless you have an elite crew, you will basically miss every shot because of the huge penalty for indirect fire (+4, I think). Instead of outright missing, the shot will scatter a number of hexes equal to how much you missed your to-hit by. This can result in super-hilarious situations.

Basically, one artillery piece sucks. But four or five going at once can really gently caress up somebody's day by sheer luck and attrition.

And then someone introduces TAG and Copperhead shells and things start to get beastly. :black101: I remember someone playing a Stalwart Support* force (with TAG gear bloody everywhere) in an urban combat megagame and hell, did the other side hate him by the end of it.

*3050s era mercenary unit consisting of one veteran infantry regiment.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's because infantry is a nightmare to deal with in an urban environment, and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is an imbecile.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's because infantry is a nightmare to deal with in an urban environment, and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is an imbecile.

Infantry w/ SRMs + Hardened buildings == party all day

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wow, easy turn. I keep looking back and expecting more to do, but nope.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, easy turn. I keep looking back and expecting more to do, but nope.

You seem surprised. We're down to two player run targets, with two mechs actively involved in dealing with them and one in retreating, with the others standing around.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 10

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B4 Unknown Heavy 2!
Random Ace Gamma: G1 Unknown Assault 1!

B5 Lucerne runs to hex 1314!

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops holds fire!
L* Cyclops gains 2 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 0!

L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1808 with Large Laser (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 stationary target = 1): rolled 10, hit! Needs 7+ to start fire, rolls 10! Fire started in Hex 1808!
L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1808 with Medium Laser (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 stationary target = 1): rolled 8, hit! Fire already started in hex!
L2 Zeus gains 13 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B2 Thunderchild holds fire!
B2 Thunderchild gains 6 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 0!

B4 Unknown Heavy 2 holds fire!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2 gains 0 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 25 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase
L2 Zeus finishes dumping LRM ammo!
L2 Zeus finishes dumping Autocannon ammo!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1408 (downwind), rolled 5, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1409 (downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1608 (downwind), rolled 6, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1409 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 6, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1508 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 7, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1608 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 9, fire fails to spread!
This is getting ridiculous…

Samantha’s console retagged the Clan machine she hadn’t seen from an unknown Longbow variant to a ‘Mugger’. Inelegant, but appropriate—Colonel Rossi’s work. She smiled, it was amazing how a trial-by-fire could improve a person’s opinion of a man.

“I am here,” the Clanner in the Lucerne broadcast. “How do we begin this absurd duel?”

“Well, that depends,” Samantha began tentatively. “On whether we are to have a traditional or exceptional Steiner Rules duel. In a traditional duel, we approach each other on even terrain, and may attack only with our arms. Maneuvering is to be kept to a minimum, for fairness. In an exceptional duel, we may—”

“Your traditions are foolish, but I will honor them.”

Samantha cursed quietly, she’d been trying to drag things out to give the Tigris more time to power up. Then again—as tough as these Clanners were proving to be, she was no longer certain the little Leopard-class ship’s armament would be enough to turn the tide.

“To the Clan bastard who just defeated my scout—” There was a squawk of rage over the comms. “—You’re going to be far too dead to be claiming any ‘bondsmen,’ whatever the hell that means, today.”

The Clanner sounded furious, “I refuse to accept your ridiculous Steiner Ru—”

“No, I’d have to snap both my arms off for that to be even close to fair to you. I’m going to annihilate you, Steel Viper,” Rossi taunted—a skill he must’ve picked up fighting Kuritans with the Lyran Guard, Samantha thought to herself. “Your Clan won’t even remember your name once I’m through with—”

The Clanner sputtered, “My name is—”

“Dust,” Rossi interrupted. “Ashes. Nothing. Come and face me, dead man. We’ll see if you can handle a ‘Mech heavier than thirty-five tons.”

Enemy Forces:
B2 Thunderchild: Jumps to hex 0813!
B4 Mugger: Waiting to move!
B5 Lucerne: Walks to hex 1511!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (9/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 7/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 9/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 13/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 2/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/10 (11/15)
RA A(S): 6/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel wound (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 16, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: DESTROYED!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Medium Laser destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 7/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Target: None
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Knox (severe concussion [3+ consciousness])
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off-map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 28, 2013

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Okay, I've got to ask: What is the point of all that fire-starting? I have no idea what it's accomplishing.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Gothsheep posted:

Okay, I've got to ask: What is the point of all that fire-starting? I have no idea what it's accomplishing.

Looking awesome while you fight a clan Heavy in mech brawling.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He's making sure that if Beta Star is defeated then our heroes will maybe last for 20 rounds against the assault star by hiding in the smoke. It negates the clans long range advantage, forcing them to get in close where the assault mechs can use their AC/20 and their mechbrawling skills. It really is quite ingenious and I am very likely going to lose my 15 round bet at the least.

The cyclops should probably try to steer the fighting towards the fires so if he defeats his target he can get there quickly.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Your Clan won’t even remember your name once I’m through with—”

The Clanner sputtered, “My name is—”

“Dust,” Rossi interrupted. “Ashes. Nothing. Come and face me, dead man. We’ll see if you can handle a ‘Mech heavier than thirty-five tons.”

Ok. So is Rossi the baddest motherfucker or what?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

A sense of drama (and awesome) and an unofficial ring to fight in. I liked Colonel Rossi's badass boast to the Crossbow (designated "Mugger"). Here's hoping he isn't taken out by a surprise salvo of LRM's to the face...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

Fires make smoke, smoke makes it harder to hit you if you shoot through it.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Keru posted:

Looking awesome while you fight a clan Heavy in mech brawling.

Presumably to ward a flank, but if I recall Lethal Heritage correctly, it didn't work all that well for the 2nd Legion of Vega during the invasion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

Ok. So is Rossi the baddest motherfucker or what?

He's probably the third-awesomest commander that the 2nd Donegal has had which I am familiar with.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Defiance Industries posted:

He's probably the third-awesomest commander that the 2nd Donegal has had which I am familiar with.

There are more awesome commanders? :suspense:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

There are more awesome commanders? :suspense:

Well, we're making sure one of said escapes so he can rebuild the unit from the ground up with LosTech, and make it so the Clanners get out of their cockpits through a straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

quote:

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Oh no! They're gonna eat him! Poor guy.

That's what bondsman means, right? Emergency Rations?

• Locked thread