Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xarbala posted:

To be fair, you might not want him to get too high of a rank but you also don't want to squander a talented MechWarrior just because you can't trust him to handle anything more complicated than a lance command.

He's inexperienced yet has the equivalent skills of a Veteran IS MechWarrior or a Clan Warrior. Give him a year or two and he'll probably be a 2/3 hotshot or even better, assuming he doesn't blunder face first into a CERPPC industrial excavator.

Fixed for you.

Secondary objective for this map: kill a mech by pushing its head down onto a moving excavator blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

FASA also created both of them, which is why Unity City and the Seattle sprawl are like evil mirror versions of each other

If only they could get Crimson Skies back too, then we could have Mech Fights in the skys around Dropship Zepplins!

I guess this would make the clans the Kaiser's forces?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

They are not a thing.

Krupp and Krupp Interstellar are, but in canon they're tied to Earth and Mars respectively and never expanded. AU I'm assuming the Rim Worlders made them a better offer.

They produced the original Dragoon and Lancelot. :v:

Dolash posted:

Oh wow, don't know how I missed that.

Also don't know what would possess his superior to put him on the single most critical part of the mission, when he could've been part of one of those other units and died quietly out of sight! That's what you're supposed to do with useless upper-class twit officers. Well, maybe he can make up for inept officer skills by racking up some kills. Worst-case scenario then he gets taken prisoner by the Clans and introduced to a way of life where you can be as incompetent as you like so long as you can also kill folks good.

It's possible she thinks "Morgaine" is full of poo poo. The Clans being too stupid to notice a working HPG receiver is probably a pretty hard sell. There is a reason for it, though: most of the 37th is being transported in Overlords. Hauptman Van Tonder's demi-company is a fast-response force in Leopards. And since he's a lance short that leaves room on the JumpShip for Saeder-Krupp.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 17, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 1

“Targets inbound,” the Green Knight’s radio transmissions were clearer than her speech had been. “We still need another minute at least.”

Jacob held his tongue. His company new the plan, and even the smallest transmission now could jeopardize the lot of them. His reserve force was made up of some of the battalion’s heaviest units, it made sense at a strategic level: being able to deploy a heavy and assault lance via dropship anywhere on the battlefield was certainly an advantage, but at the same time Clan forces were supposed to be incredibly mobile.

With the demi-company’s lack of mobility, a fight in the open against equal forces was practically a death-wish. Jacob felt the Clans would have little trouble running circles around his slow heavies. Once he’d seen the lay of the battlefield he’d made a snap decision: the whole of the unit would wait in ambush. They’d certainly be detected if the Clans got close enough, but even a moment’s surprise could be enough to give them an edge.

If worse came to worst, he’d try to invoke a “Steiner Rules” duel, but that was a last resort he’d save to buy the rest of the unit a chance to escape. His was the only machine really built for a boxing match but even so such a fight was a huge risk. He wished he had a little more intel: enemy troop strength or weight. They’d undoubtedly spotted all three DropShips, but even if they sent a lance of scouts to start they’d undoubtedly follow up with something heavier.

Jacob sighed—he really had no idea how the Clan commander would react. They were close enough to Clan lines that a light raiding force could do serious damage to Clan supply depots if left unmolested, but Jacob had no experience with Clan doctrine. Would they dispatch fast raiders of their own and risk an ambush? Would they send heavy forces and hope their inherently superior speed would be enough to pin down a lighter raiding force? Jacob found himself quietly hoping for a medium-weight middle ground. Clan medium `Mechs were swift but rarely seemed to be built to engage larger targets.

“Relying on being heavier than the enemy is a mistake,” he murmured under his breath. “At least I’ll have plenty of time to study Clan military doctrines if Morgaine pulls through.”

[N/A]

[No Combat]

Player Status:

Ally Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (0/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Whoa.

The Clantech Nightstar and Wolverine II stand out there. The Wolverine II was initially a SLDF Royal design, the Nightstar also dates back to the Amaris/Kerensky dustup. Cloud Cobra emptying Brian Caches?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A pilot has the blood name Steiner?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Mechwarrior Ala ad-Din.

Stay away from that guy, he has powerful magic.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Note that they're under strict Zell, so I'm going to look up what their interpetation of Zell is and tell you about it.

Ala ad-Din doesn't have a lamp, we're fiiiine.

edit: non PTN canon cloud cobras were opportunistic and the clan as a whole used aerospace and combined arms. That's what I got so far.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 20, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Artificer posted:

A pilot has the blood name Steiner?

I seem to remember that a Steiner Bloodname was created by the Steel Vipers in honor of Caesar, but these are Cloud Cobras. Did they do a bloodline swap with them or something, as part of the New Star League?

Ablative posted:

Mechwarrior Ala ad-Din.

Wonder if ad-Din is a Bloodname as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

I seem to remember that a Steiner Bloodname was created by the Steel Vipers in honor of Caesar, but these are Cloud Cobras. Did they do a bloodline swap with them or something, as part of the New Star League?

Steiner is a Cloud Cobra bloodline.

GhostStalker posted:

Wonder if ad-Din is a Bloodname as well.

It is not, it's just a part of the given name.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Steiner is a Cloud Cobra bloodline.

If I recall, their founder is some unspecified cousin whose family split off from the ruling line during the Star League era. I do know that unlike the ridiculous contrivance that Stackpole cooked up for Phelan, none of the Steiners in the Inner Sphere are eligible for it since all modern Steiners descend from Elizabeth and that other dude isn't even close to their family tree.

e: Checked my books and then did some cross-checking, Kailen Steiner (the founder) is apparently the illegitimate son of Paul Steiner, youngest son of Archon Michael.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ablative posted:

Mechwarrior Ala ad-Din.

Stay away from that guy, he has powerful magic.

He'll show you a whole new world... of pain. :black101:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I notice that the Leopards don't have stat sheets. Are they basically noncombatants in this fight, as long as they don't open fire first?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
16 headcappers on the opposing force. This one might get ugly!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Also, I cannot find the Barrel Fist quirk on Sarna. I think it just has to do with punching, right?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Volmarias posted:

Also, I cannot find the Barrel Fist quirk on Sarna. I think it just has to do with punching, right?

Surprisingly good at taking down giant robots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

It won't appear on Sarna for a while since it's new in the BattleMech Manual.

It means you can punch effectively without having a fist because the missile arm is specially reinforced for doing so. Weird as hell thing: the Warhammer gets barrel fists too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which is pretty weird.

I'm imagining a mech scale funnoodle fight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So, looking at all of this, it seems like

* I want to keep my range advantage
* We want to set up an ambush and hit the enemy units in the rear
* We're already in a pretty good ambush spot
* The clans might decide to try flanking for visibility

Should I keep my mech in its current position, or should I back up a bit somewhere?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Xarbala posted:

Which is pretty weird.

I'm imagining a mech scale funnoodle fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh god the prophecy is coming true

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pretty sure the stone rhino had specially reinforced gauss rifles for beating other mechs in the fluff.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

All right, I'm in the banshee. It's Distracting. The clans have "Strict Zell". How would these interact? I've never played Battletech before.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Presumably they're going to go for honor duels and insane challenges, but this is pretty much going to be by the seat of your pants until you find out what a Cloud Cobra version of Zell is. The important part here, is that the longer you stick to their rules, the longer they'll consider you honorable foes and not start combining fire or going for the head. Probably.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

pun pundit posted:

All right, I'm in the banshee. It's Distracting. The clans have "Strict Zell". How would these interact? I've never played Battletech before.
I'm not sure if you're asking how Distracting works, how Zell works, or how Distracting works specifically with Zell, I think it's the last one, but I'll answer all three as best I can in case anyone else has those questions, it kinda requires answering both anyway.

First, Distracting, this quirk implies your mech is intimidating in some way, which if we were using the morale rules would mean something as it applies a penalty to those tests. It also could add to a pilot special ability using the RPG rules, but that also doesn't apply. So, for the sake of this match, it simply means you're going to draw some more attention (read, fire from the big ones) from the Clans, as Poptarts plays fluffy.

Next, Zell, some of the info I'm going to give here is very much dependent on what the Cobras decide is actually being enforced. But the gist of Zellbrigen is

"Each Warrior will fight only those they challenge, those who don't have an opponent to challenge must wait, challenge your selected target verbally (this isn't strictly required), you may challenge more than one opponent (usually, don't do this), you may refuse challenges if an opponent of similar weight class (light, medium, heavy, assault) is still unchallenged, artillery and area of effect weapons are banned alongside any weaponry that requires multiple mechwarriors to employ (NARC is sometimes considered to fall under this category)

there are actions you can take that will immediately break Zellbrigen for your Mechwarrior, and potentially the whole unit if the Clans are feeling picky (they always are), these are "moving out of line of sight of your opponent, moving out of maximum weapons range of your opponent, or failing to fire every available weapon at your opponent (meaning heat management is a bitch)" these can all be overlooked if "tactically appropriate" (meaning, before the Clanners decide they're annoyed/bored)

Now, how these two would interact, is that the Clanners are likely to challenge you, as you're a prominent target, but also they are likely to accept challenges from you. So you could try and pick the enemy assault or heavy least likely to kick your rear end and open up on them before they get LoS on another friendly. Or you could pick one that you think you've got some change to hold off but could pick apart someone else in the lance, and challenge them instead.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Something to note, you are an assault, your job is usually to get shot by the other big ones so that others don't have to, so with either option I'd go for the highest tonnage you think fits your goal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Real video of a zell-rules fight captured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pun pundit posted:

Your distracting quirk affects the enemy morale, making it easier to force withdrawal normally. We'll see how PTN plays it.

As far as Zell goes, PTN will be using several additional rules on how the mechs will work. That includes things like no other mech being allowed to fire at you, not using physical attacks and not intentionally breaking line of sight for more than a turn. As the attacker, it will be expected that you challenge a target to a duel.

Enemy combatants will be challenging you to one-on-one fights, which will likely be against enemies that outmatch them OR, in the case of a mech like a King Cobra which sits at the top of the food chain, challenging multiple enemies at the same time or bidding away certain weapons. In the Somerset mission, for instance, we saw a Nova bid away the use of one of its arms because it overmatched its opponent.

Until you do something to break the rules, they will follow them. If you break these rules somehow, by doing something like shooting a mech dueling one of your lancemates or deciding to run in and kick the other Mech, you become a dishonorable target. That means every mech on the enemy team is now allowed to mass fire on you before returning to their duel. If your opponent bid away the use of certain weapons or equipment, they're now allowed to use them.

Breaking Zell is a very useful tool, but each Mech can only do once so you need to use it at the right time. Fortunately he's using strict Zell, so even if you decide to do those things right away, you are only going to cause trouble for yourself, not completely break the whole thing into a melee. Other Clans who see it more opportunistically will drop the pretense altogether at the first sign of anyone doing anything fishy.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 20, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I've been lurking in the thread for ages, so I'm pretty caught up on general terminology, sorry, I should have made that clearer. I was specifically asking how Zell and Distracting interact the way PTN play them, but I guess before we get started it'll be hard to tell exactly what this clan means by "strict zell".

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

To be more on point with your question then, I expect it'll mean your options for challenge are a bit looser, but if you get spotted before you challenge you'll probably have something nasty headed right your way. I could be wrong though.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I seem to remember distracting from the Nergal mission, it turned my secondary target into my primary target. I don't know how it'd work when a player has it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
It looks like the enemy can see our ally standing on the height 4 hill under the facility. At least some of us should threaten the enemy this turn. Do we want to advance one group and hold the other back? Advance the brawnier mechs and brag about how bringing a spare dropship just for salvage was the right move? Try and lure the enemy closer by sniping at them with our lrm boats?

The northern group is more likely to instantly drop dead if ambushed. But the southern group might be worth ambushing just in case we can get one of them right off the bat. But in either case Zell might be the first casualty.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
First orders in due tomorrow? I remember nothing about Battletech? Check and check, so this is going to be fun :supaburn:

Is there a google doc for player to organize yet?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Chronojam posted:

Pretty sure the stone rhino had specially reinforced gauss rifles for beating other mechs in the fluff.

The fluff for it has always said the arms have retracting, shock absorbing cowlings that slide over the weapon barrels to let it punch, yeah.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

habituallyred posted:

It looks like the enemy can see our ally standing on the height 4 hill under the facility. At least some of us should threaten the enemy this turn. Do we want to advance one group and hold the other back? Advance the brawnier mechs and brag about how bringing a spare dropship just for salvage was the right move? Try and lure the enemy closer by sniping at them with our lrm boats?

The northern group is more likely to instantly drop dead if ambushed. But the southern group might be worth ambushing just in case we can get one of them right off the bat. But in either case Zell might be the first casualty.

The northern group currently can't move into LoS with the northern enemies because of the buildings and I don't see us having the range to throw anything anything at the southern group. Better for us northerners to wait.

Checked the range, the red dropship is right at the edge of range for us in the north group.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Remmon posted:

Checked the range, the red dropship is right at the edge of range for us in the north group.

Which suggests you should do..?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Looks like I'll be spending this turn staying still and waiting for the southern group to get closer as they have the range advantage.

One other thing I was wondering about. It says the clanners are following their strict zell rules and yet only the Star Captian has the following Zellbrigen negative quirk do people think this means only the Star Captain will be following their rules or is it for the entire lot of them? What are people's thoughts?

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which suggests you should do..?

Absolutely nothing until the northern group moves into a position where we can engage them effectively, hopefully in turn 2. Then we'll want to make our way south if possible to support the southern group.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh good, for a moment it looked like you were advocating attacking your own DropShips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Is a giant mace legal in a Steiner Rules duel? It seems kind of bullshit, but then it's the clans. Coming up with a bullshit weapon to win at contrived duels is kind of what they do.

• Locked thread