Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh good, for a moment it looked like you were advocating attacking your own DropShips

In terms of an ambush, I'm pretty sure they would NEVER see that coming. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm sure there's some obscure arcana of Steiner Rules dueling that says destroying your own dropship is just the thing to do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I hope that somehow a Capellan dropship turns up and toasts the HPG.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Keru posted:

I'm sure there's some obscure arcana of Steiner Rules dueling that says destroying your own dropship is just the thing to do.

Destroying it is a no-no, but setting it on fire is perfectly legal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SIGSEGV posted:

I hope that somehow a Capellan dropship turns up and toasts the HPG.

The Cappellan Warcrimes Tour, coming to a ComStar facility near you!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

If you all are mostly familiar with Megamek I will happily make you a copy of the scenario that works there, if it helps you fiddle out your moves and judge line of sight.

(Well, once we see what the opposing force looks like, that is).

Can I take you up on this offer? :v:

Also could use a quick check on my mech: Hyper-Extending Actuators mean that I've flippy arms, correct?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Not quite- It means that your arm weapon arcs extend an additional hex left or right, I think. Flippy arms is different.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Unless they changed it in BMM (I didn't look too closely at some of the old quirks so it may have been reworked), Hyper Extending Actuators let you flippy-arms at the elbows to point arm weapons into the rear arc.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DatonKallandor posted:

Is a giant mace legal in a Steiner Rules duel? It seems kind of bullshit, but then it's the clans. Coming up with a bullshit weapon to win at contrived duels is kind of what they do.

The melee-focused Clan mechs were designed after Caesar's capture specifically to beat the poo poo out of people invoking Steiner Rules.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

koolkevz666 posted:

Looks like I'll be spending this turn staying still and waiting for the southern group to get closer as they have the range advantage.

One other thing I was wondering about. It says the clanners are following their strict zell rules and yet only the Star Captian has the following Zellbrigen negative quirk do people think this means only the Star Captain will be following their rules or is it for the entire lot of them? What are people's thoughts?

Maybe it means his subordinates will follow Zell, but only as long as the Star Captain is alive?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh good, for a moment it looked like you were advocating attacking your own DropShips

Burn your own ships so your men know there is no possibility of retreat

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DatonKallandor posted:

Is a giant mace legal in a Steiner Rules duel? It seems kind of bullshit, but then it's the clans. Coming up with a bullshit weapon to win at contrived duels is kind of what they do.

Why wouldn't it be? It's a melee weapon and those are melee-only.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

OK so reviewing the map without units it looks like the entire South group is sitting on -3 terrain, which means we're completely hidden from the clanners coming from the SW, right? Can 'mechs climb height difference 2 hex borders? The quick start rules do not cover elevation changes. If not, it also seems to me that the only paths up to ground level is the -2 bit between the Banshee and Zeus (2435) and the -2 bit way south of the Sunder Prime (2143). Is that all correct?

If so, it seems that's a major bottleneck for us and we need to properly coordinate when we're getting out from behind this hill. Should the Sunder Prime head south to climb that alternate route up? It comes up behind that height 1 hill between us and the southern star, but it seems like it would take like 3 turns.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

pun pundit posted:

OK so reviewing the map without units it looks like the entire South group is sitting on -3 terrain, which means we're completely hidden from the clanners coming from the SW, right? Can 'mechs climb height difference 2 hex borders?

They can, it's +1 MP per level change so going from a -3 to a -1 is a 3 mp cost (1 for the hex, 2 for the levels). I wouldn't put you in places where you'd be completely screwed or instantly detected.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Also, if I remember correctly, the distracting trait on the enemy King Cobra means any alt orders will switch to target it instead, so take care not to accidentally break Zell by alt-targeting it if you want to it shooting at one person (or however many were challenged) as long as possible. Strict Zell *should* mean that only the offending unit would be punished, but it's best not to make assumptions.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to shoot Narc beacons without worrying about retaliation, since there wouldn't really be a point to having them otherwise.

Edit: speaking of Narc beacons, a strict take on Zell might allow the players to get away with some "accidental" lock-ons with their missiles against other dueling units. Might be something to consider, given the horror show of weapons the players are facing.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 20, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Should we all wait a turn before hopping out? I live in Europe so I'm going to bed now, and I have company over tomorrow, so whatever the consensus in the thread is when I get a chance to read it, I'll follow it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

thetruegentleman posted:

Edit: speaking of Narc beacons, a strict take on Zell might allow the players to get away with some "accidental" lock-ons with their missiles against other dueling units. Might be something to consider, given the horror show of weapons the players are facing.

NARC is okay if you're the only one using it, because YOU still had to fire it to get the assist for YOUR missiles. Shooting at someone that someone else hit with NARC is not okay, so if you shoot something with NARC make sure you win. Or, I guess, that the next person to fight that guy doesn't have any missile weapons. It's TAG that's never okay.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
I just noticed I hadn't posted my e-mail a long time ago when I requested to play, I forgot and I've been skipped.

I'm really dumb. Good luck, alternate!

I'll be buying PMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sparq posted:

I'll be buying PMs.

Yeah, I didn't have a valid contact for you. I'll bump you back to the 'available' list.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, I didn't have a valid contact for you. I'll bump you back to the 'available' list.

Thanks, Poptarts. Once SA wants to accept my visa there will be no problem.

On the meantime let's enjoy the show! I really want the Thunder Hawk player to headshot everyone.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Good lord, i actually managed to read through the entire thread. That was an interesting 3 weeks.

Amaris is a wonderful troll, and Capella Delanda Est.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Crap, didn't read closely. I thought midnight meant until midnight the 22nd. Aw well, good luck goon!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

tokenbrownguy posted:

Crap, I thought midnight meant until midnight the 22nd.

It does. Orders are due by the time I start working on an update on Wednesday.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm moving slightly to the south to try and edge closer to the southern most mechs and still be out of sight. It looks like most of my weapons are rather short range so I need to get nice and close to the enemy.

Also looking at it that southern group is within weapon range of our red dropship, I think dropships are fairly tough but if they focus fire on it they could ground or destroy it no?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They can but PTN uses dropships as terrain props rather than actual units, it also has no unit card and that makes it less likely to be shot at.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

They can but PTN uses dropships as terrain props rather than actual units, it also has no unit card and that makes it less likely to be shot at.

I see excellent then hopefully they will continue to advance and get closer.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, you and the Banshee are going to want to get in close, while the Zeus and Thunder Hawk definitely want to stay at least at medium range.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So northern group is keeping our heads down for this turn and waiting for the clanners to advance?

e: oh and what does my Stabilized Weapon (Gauss Rifle) perk do? Reduce the penalty for firing on the move? I didn't see it on that linked perk list.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

tokenbrownguy posted:

So northern group is keeping our heads down for this turn and waiting for the clanners to advance?

e: oh and what does my Stabilized Weapon (Gauss Rifle) perk do? Reduce the penalty for firing on the move? I didn't see it on that linked perk list.

I guess. If there isn't google doc to coordinate in, Ill make one tomorrow (but today we gotta play on our own :v:).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'll be sitting still too, then. No use popping up from behind this hill and getting my head blown off first thing.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

It should mean you take only a +1 penalty for running instead of +2.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xarn posted:

Can I take you up on this offer? :v:

Also could use a quick check on my mech: Hyper-Extending Actuators mean that I've flippy arms, correct?

I have the map done, I just need to make a few custom variants in SSW.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, unless someone can suggest a strategy for me I'll be staying put.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
You all might be able to stagger your reveal, although it'd be mean to ask people to wait another turn. If the top or bottom group pop out one turn, it might result in the far clan group turning their way, giving the second player lance a chance at some back hits at the expense of the reveal lance risking concentrated fire for a turn or two.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 2

Lt. Martelli kept as close to the cliff face as she could manage, inching her new-construction Sunder a bit closer to the approaching enemy. The mining pit wasn’t a vertical drop off, repeated turns of the massive Krupp-manufactured mining machines had scooped semicircular divots of rock and soil as they mined the lithium and other rare metals necessary for the primary factory’s lithium-fusion batteries. Martelli had studied every bit of information she could dig up about the S-K presence on Yaguas. Saeder Technologies had been a strong supporter of House Steiner for centuries, but the Terra-based Krupp Armament Works was more enigmatic. Martelli was loath to admit she hadn’t turned up much information of any real use, aside from the company’s ancient ties to the defunct Rim World Republic.

Her Sunder rocked slightly as she kicked a large chunk of stone, but the Clanners on the ridgeline above didn’t seem to notice. Their own machines were making enough noise to drown out her movements—more dangerous would have been a fall down the cliff. The Sunder was new to her, and even though she’d had time to practice, her nearly armless `Mech had difficulty standing back up after a tumble. It was a lot different from her old Crusader, to be sure—she’d voluntarily sold her machine to the LCAF in exchange for new production. She’d been expecting something comparable in return, but the Sunder was over five-times as expensive. If she wanted to keep it, she’d need to do more than just hit every checkbox for ‘meets expectations’ on the yearly review. The pressure was intense—but all the same, she much preferred her chances in the Sunder. At least she’d have a fairer time engaging the Clans in a stand-up fight in a machine based on their own technologies.

Shooting Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 10!

Banshee (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 21!

Zeus (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Sunder Prime (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Archer (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Penetrator (player)
- Holds fire!

Cestus (player)
- Holds fire!

Caesar (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 32!

Cyclops (Allied)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 14!

Warhawk Prime
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Nightstar
- Stalking Cyclops
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Dire Wolf Prime
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Kingfisher E
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

King Cobra
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Wolverine II
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Battle Cobra Prime
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Battle Cobra B
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Wyvern IIC
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Battle Cobra A
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Player Status:

Ally Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (0/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm going to hold my position for one more turn which should bring the clanners close enough that I can advance on them and start laying down some fire. The question is what sort of plan are we aiming for when we do engage are we going to try and challenge the clanners to a series of 1 vs 1 fights and hope they accept? Or are we going in all guns blazing.

If the later then on the next turn it might be possible for to move out and try and draw the clanners towards me giving my three fellow southern mechs a shot at their side/rear armour?

A few questions though:

1) Can a mech run during an elevation change?

2) If I move onto the -1 elevation terrain and keep the 1 high hill between me and the clanners then as long as I remain on the -1 and they remain on the flat terrain will I still be unseen?

3) If I do have to reveal myself to the clanners do people think I could survive possibly being fired on by the entire southern clanner group?

and finally

4) Is it possible for me to directly address an enemy pilot either privately or over an open channel and challenge to a 1 on 1 duel.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

With that star coming in off the side I would recommend some of our more durable units issue challenges next round. It's a safe guess that the Nightstar isn't going to call out a medium but you can be certain of your matchup this way. Maybe planning out who is going to challenge what would be a good move?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You guys realize only the Clans are going to do the one target thing. You can fight whoever and concentrate fire like normal.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Wait, don't they generally immediately call it quits on Zell if you don't play by their rules too?

I mean, they're stupid, but they're not THAT stupid, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Wait, don't they generally immediately call it quits on Zell if you don't play by their rules too?

I mean, they're stupid, but they're not THAT stupid, surely.

This was what I was thinking, that if we ganged up on a target and tried to go for the challenges they would just ignore the challenges in total and respond in kind.

• Locked thread