Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Weissritter posted:

Fair points, though for me she seems too reasonable for someone who fully buys into the warrior caste kool-aid. Her romance with Phelan to me is an indication, but maybe it is not explicitly forbidden for someone of the warrior caste to fall in love?

It's not forbidden because the Clans don't really have 'love' as a concept. Falling in love with one another drove Phelan and Rana insane, as far as most Clanners are concerned. Holding one's genes back and/or restricting them so that the first sibko created must be between the two of them is absolute madness, and it's only really tolerated because they're both Khans and Rana can ritually murder anyone who tries to tell them they can't.

That's not to say that love doesn't exist among the Clans, but it's a very rare thing. They're raised from birth to treat physical relationships as casual stress relief and most Clanners have the emotional depth of a sidewalk puddle. Even emotionally vulnerable Mechwarrior Trent of the Smoke Jaguars, who played the Clan Warrior game exceptionally poorly and did nothing but bitch about how his enemies were cheating (by being smarter than him), never fell in love with Judith and she was basically doing everything in her power to seduce him. He betrayed his Clan for the promise of advancement, which is one of the three things all members of the warrior caste are taught to crave.

These are the only things Clan warriors prioritize:
1) Earn a Bloodname (you don't need a bloodname for your genetics to be considered for the breeding program, but a bloodname is a guaranteed 'in')
2) Advance to the highest rank possible
3) Die young

Judas sold Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Trent sold the Smoke Jaguars for a company command.

Edit: And then got killed by the Wobbies almost immediately.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Kell bloodname seems like it's in a weird place in the 32nd century. Do we ever see a WiE member with the name? Their current Khan is a Fetladral (and an elemental so yeah, the dude is hard as gently caress)

Basically I'm not sure if Phelan did a very good job as the leader of the Kell bloodname OR as the patriarch of House Kell.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Judas sold Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Trent sold the Smoke Jaguars for a company command.

Not that Trent needed to do anything to ensure the Jaguar's destruction. They were pretty well hosed at that point, because their complete and total disregard for their own Civilian Castes meant that they didn't have the industrial base to rebuild their losses after Tukayyid. They would fight, struggle, claw, and scrounge for the parts needed to bring one Galaxy back to full strength, and immediately another Galaxy would get devastated by Raiding/Sabotage/Incompetence and they'd be force to scrape around for enough gear to fix that one up too. It was like Sisyphus trying to push his boulder up the mountain.

All Trent's betrayal did was ensure that the Jaguars were destroyed outright instead of just ejected from the Inner Sphere and left too weak to avoid being absorbed by the other Clans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is it poossible to do a cliff notes summary of the way the ptnverse differs from the original canon? Just broad brushstrokes?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Trent sold the Smoke Jaguars for a company command.

And even that wasn't enough to finish them off - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fidelis

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rana wasn't on the list of dangerous individuals, not because she's not dangerous, but because she's fully bought-into the warrior caste kool-aid. It's why Ulric used her to indoctrinate Phelan.

Rana is dangerous because she takes that Warrior Caste paradigm and makes it obscenely dangerous by being a 0/1 pilot in a Warhawk C. Assuming she's running (which is something she typically doesn't need to bother with since enemy targets have to come to her or they're dead) Her average to-hits at long range against Clan heavies are (0 base + 3 range (thanks, Warhawk quirks!) + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7), or 5s with her pulse lasers. If she's standing still she needs 5s with her PPCs and 3s with her pulse lasers, and again that's at long range. At short range she can freely eat the +3 aiming penalty to always attack Punch Hit or shoot rear armor or blow legs off and just murder anyone who gets too close. Or just TarComp bore through the center torso without a care in the world.

She doesn't play the game any differently, she's too murderous to need to.

And here we see the real danger to the clan system.

Who was that guy who was such a good killer that people couldn't really question his orders even though they were bugfuck crazy and incredibly stupid? Asa Turney or something?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Night10194 posted:

And here we see the real danger to the clan system.

Who was that guy who was such a good killer that people couldn't really question his orders even though they were bugfuck crazy and incredibly stupid? Asa Turney or something?

That's Ilkhan Asa Taney to you. The leader of the newly recreated clan wolf in this alternate timeline.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Ghost Bears not really being averse to familial style love is another thing that makes them less retarded than the average bear Clanner. They still have their 'tards like everybody else (like that guy we ran into earlier in the PTNverse) but at least they average towards the less bad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

Not that Trent needed to do anything to ensure the Jaguar's destruction. They were pretty well hosed at that point, because their complete and total disregard for their own Civilian Castes meant that they didn't have the industrial base to rebuild their losses after Tukayyid.

This is true, they were down to three galaxies after Luthien and Tukayyid and when they put together a fourth (which they intended to use to drive Clan Nova Cat from the Inner Sphere) it was destroyed by a single Nova Cat cluster and a little help from a regiment of the Northwind Highlanders who'd blundered into it. Impetus of War is one of the only Pardoe novels I don't hate, but that's mostly because they manage to make a captured Smoke Jaguar bondsman genuinely helpful and sympathetic in spite of an apparent editorial mandate that all Smoke Jaguars be portrayed as cackling supervillains.

The Nova Cats are one of the only Clans capable of planning for losses, by the way, but it's entirely due to their mysticism. If a vision quest tells them they'll achieve a great victory by being chill and that something is going to go wrong if they push too hard, they'll ease up and stay chill. Note: the mysticism didn't help them on Luthien, but that was a "Smoke Jaguar plan" and neither Clan really forgave the other.

It is interesting that the canon Clans all react differently to the Inner Sphere.

- The Jade Falcons double down on the crazy and decide that everything that does not conform to their brand of madness must be destroyed.

- The Wolves split and civil war over the protect/conquer line, but eventually conquer wins. They turn into space Conans but their rule is easier on the civilian populace mostly because there was a massive power vacuum in the area they eventually settle.

- The Ghost Bears double down on family and eventually go full warden when they realize Inner Sphere freeborn values are closer to their own than the other Clans are. They're the first Clan to voluntarily abandon the homeworlds. They eventually turn into a strong but isolationist power and fully absorb Rasalhague thanks to Ragnar Magnusson Wolf Ghost Bear Magnusson, whom the Ghost Bears take from the Wolves off camera at some point.

- The Steel Viper go full batshit, and start blaming everyone else for their failures. They get so noisy eventually the Jade Falcons force them to gently caress off, and they're so pissed about this that they eventually engineer their own annihilation.

- The Smoke Jaguars, known for their cunning and foresight, completely forget what guile and subtlety is. They publicly execute civilians and create such an upswell of bitter resentment that the Inner Sphere can't tolerate their existence and annihilates them instead of dealing with the much-crazier-but-more-subtle-about-it Jade Falcons.

- The Nova Cats double down on their vision quests, which lets them take in Minoru Kurita Nova Cat (They never captured him, he just turned up on their doorstep one day claiming a vision told him to and they took him in. I really don't remember when this happened but they elevated him to Loremaster because he's apparently very good at spewing pseudo-profound bullshit). Minoru eventually convinces the entire Clan to defect bloodlessly on the basis of a vision making him quite possibly the most dangerous man in the Inner Sphere.

Pictured: Minoru Kurita Nova Cat, the man who killed the assassin who killed Melissa Steiner-Davion, Ryan Steiner, and Omiko Kurita.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 23, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking of Bears aligning with the IS, there's that one galaxy that took it all the way in 3145, swearing off the Clan way entirely and going native on Vega.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

- The Nova Cats double down on their vision quests, which lets them take in Minoru Kurita Nova Cat (They never captured him, he just turned up on their doorstep one day claiming a vision told him to and they took him in. I really don't remember when this happened but they elevated him to Loremaster because he's apparently very good at spewing pseudo-profound bullshit). Minoru eventually convinces the entire Clan to defect bloodlessly on the basis of a vision making him quite possibly the most dangerous man in the Inner Sphere.

Pity the Nova Cats get wiped out during the Dark Age for backing the wrong side of a power struggle in the Draconis Combine. Dark Age makes everything worse.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Rorahusky posted:

Pity the Nova Cats get wiped out during the Dark Age for backing the wrong side of a power struggle in the Draconis Combine. Dark Age makes everything worse.

Yeah, I never quite understood why they dipped twice into that 'HPG Failure' plot device.

Yes, I get it, WoB pirated the signal, while Dark Age was more 'silence in the heavens'.

Still, the end result remained largely the same. First time I read the setting for Dark Age, I just groaned inwardly for 5 minutes, muttering 'not this shtick again'.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rorahusky posted:

WiE have basically been absorbed by the Lyran Commonwealth at this point too.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Defiance Industries posted:

WiE have basically been absorbed by the Lyran Commonwealth at this point too.

Wolf-in-Exile, for those who don't know, although I think it's supposed to be abbreviated CWiE. Still...Wolf's Dragoon, Clan Wolf in Exile, Clan Jade Wolf, Crusader Clan Wolf Two: Electric Boogaloo...who the heck has such a drat hard on for the wolves?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Stackpole for sure, probably others.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Is there a way to see I've received a PM? I saw I was on the alternate list so checked my PMs on a whim and there was one from the 19th

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

It should pop up in your user control panel. If you're using an app instead, I don't think you get a notification.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Okay my fellow lance mates in the south what are we all feeling like doing? Are we going to sit tight for another turn or are some of us going to draw their attention. Also when we do engage do we have a priority target we should all engage or are we free to engage on our own choices?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
At the very least you guys want to position yourselves to make sure that when you do decide to engage, you can step up to fire from cover using only walking MP for better shots. The Sunder is in a good spot for that, the Banshee might shift to 2237 facing 2137, then the Zeus can take 2337 and the Thunder Hawk 2433. (I'm not sure if the cranes on the concrete wall count as height 2 buildings, if they do they would block the Thunder Hawk's shots if it just stepped forward to 2534.)

E: The Thunder Hawk should actually step up right now and start lobbing gauss shots down range, the leading mechs are already in medium range for it. If the cranes are just decorations, then it only has to walk forward 1 hex and start unloading. Same for the Zeus, all your weapons have great range brackets, it's only the Banshee and Sunder that want to get in close for the sucker punch.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Well, it seems the north is going to spend another turn waiting for the enemy to get themselves into a better position to get shot at.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Banshee here, yeah I am planning to shift south a little this turn so I am more likely to get back shots when we do engage.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Zeus here. I'll shift to whatever slot sounds best, I'm not inclined to be the only one to pop out and get zapped for it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Volmarias posted:

Zeus here. I'll shift to whatever slot sounds best, I'm not inclined to be the only one to pop out and get zapped for it.

The Clanners are definitely not going to focus fire you guys btw, that's what the whole strict Zell thing is about.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I've got an idea for Northgroup next round. Winning this fight is gonna be all about subterfuge right?

How about the two most durable dudes hang back another round, while another one of us pops out to lure one clanner northish. The fourth guy shadows the baitman north from behind the wall and can pop out to 2v1 the guy we draw out, while the other two engage and hold as long as they can against the main group. Hopefully Zell will keep the fight relatively fair for the anvil dudes, and then the two hunters can sweep back around and engage the whole group 4v4 as the hammer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

The Clanners are definitely not going to focus fire you guys btw, that's what the whole strict Zell thing is about.

There's a downside to that, too. Zell also means there's guaranteed damage fired at each `Mech each turn, so if you don't knock out individual `Mechs quickly you'll get mired down and destroyed. The trick is going to be identifying which if your machines you want to keep healthiest and then knocking down whatever's targeting them as quickly as possible. And deciding whether or not you want to bother protecting the Green Knight or whether you want to let her soak damage on her own.

You are outnumbered and these are not 'kid gloves' assault `Mechs. If you fight them 1v1 they will probably win before your 10-turn victory condition happens.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Caesar here.

If the northern group goes this turn, we should have a lot of firepower in medium range. Granted, no backshots, but we might want to start the fight before the Green Bait gets murdered.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're following Zell. Only one should shoot at the knight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xarn posted:

Caesar here.

If the northern group goes this turn, we should have a lot of firepower in medium range. Granted, no backshots, but we might want to start the fight before the Green Bait gets murdered.

Backshots aren't the be all end all goal, those lighter Mechs in the North are fragile enough to just plain kill. (And you need to rush them down, they have deadly loadouts.)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, I think the idea here is you're allowed to go two-on-one or even three-on-one, provided that you don't spoil a duel already in progress.

If two 'mechs pop out and both fire at one opponent, he's fighting both of you because he's a superior pilot in a superior machine. If he loses lol he's a lovely scrub.

If you are already pledged to one opponent (either you shot him or he shot you) and break to fire at another' mech in the back, THAT is free-for-all time. You guys need to coordinate hardcore.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Once again: Is there an existing doc for player coordination? If not I'll make one tomorrow (for real this time :v:).

Otherwise I'll see what the consensus looks like in the morning (yay for timezones).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Yeah, I think the idea here is you're allowed to go two-on-one or even three-on-one, provided that you don't spoil a duel already in progress.

If two 'mechs pop out and both fire at one opponent, he's fighting both of you because he's a superior pilot in a superior machine. If he loses lol he's a lovely scrub.

If you are already pledged to one opponent (either you shot him or he shot you) and break to fire at another' mech in the back, THAT is free-for-all time. You guys need to coordinate hardcore.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You guys realize only the Clans are going to do the one target thing. You can fight whoever and concentrate fire like normal.

Focus fire, kill the idiots.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xarn posted:

Once again: Is there an existing doc for player coordination? If not I'll make one tomorrow (for real this time :v:).

Otherwise I'll see what the consensus looks like in the morning (yay for timezones).

Here, made a sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1muJUpMYiS1qyFdpW7J5OZ54Jl6kcg2TGTEp-WW1RDqU/edit?usp=sharing

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Southern lance if we are prepared to engage with all our mechs or at least with a significant number I am prepared to run to 1837 and start blasting that Nightstar which appears to eb their communications mech? I mean I don't know much about improved comms and being a command mech but it could be important?

Anyway I need to know from my fellow lance mates if they are prepared to move up and engage? Though looking at the time perhaps it is too late for orders this turn?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm down for whatever but please let me know so that I can coordinate.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

koolkevz666 posted:

Southern lance if we are prepared to engage with all our mechs or at least with a significant number I am prepared to run to 1837 and start blasting that Nightstar which appears to eb their communications mech? I mean I don't know much about improved comms and being a command mech but it could be important?

Anyway I need to know from my fellow lance mates if they are prepared to move up and engage? Though looking at the time perhaps it is too late for orders this turn?

You still have plenty of time to get in orders, there's many hours left in the night!

PTN starts working on updates tomorrow.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Comms and command advantages generally translate to initiative advantages, which in the PTNverse means messing about with aces, so it might let the clanners get a choice spot in move order even with Morgaine denying enemy aces.

I don't know if there's a google doc yet for this round, but here's a template!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18F9dSQmYR8pXCKw39WmNp7DxScXzsiwIuh8WfOCvuSA/edit#gid=0

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think trying to coordinate an attack at this time is too late. Better to wait it out another turn and get better shots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 3

A thunderous boom echoed, telltale sign of a gauss rifle being fired alongside the atmosphere-ionizing crack of a PPC. A second rumble followed a moment later as a second gauss rifle fired—or perhaps the first echoed from somewhere behind. BattleMechs didn’t have the best directional audio pick-ups, their own movement noise tended to overwhelm sensitive external pickups, and most were built with cruder instruments. Piloting one of the oldest machines in the Regiment, Sigfrid’s Banshee had audio receptors that were worse than most.

Unlike most in the regiment, Sigfrid hadn’t been foolish to “trade in” his family heirloom in favor of new technology. He’d have accepted a field upgrade, but he was leery of accepting a machine potentially worth more than four-times what his current one did. The LCAF seemed intent on making warriors pay off the difference, either with family funds if they could afford to do so or with ironclad promissory contracts that put the Mechwarrior and his family in the LCAF’s control in perpetuity until the difference was paid. For most Mechwarriors, it had been a no-brainer. Their descendants would be serving the Lyran Commonwealth regardless—but the fine print said if they no longer had a `Mech to drive they’d serve as infantry, and Sigfrid wasn’t inclined to let his potential future children work off the family debt getting boots muddy and earning some complimentary trench-foot.

“Someone’s opened fire,” Sigfrid murmured under his breath. He took a half-step forward, then another, creeping as closely as he dared to the firing `Mech. “C’mon, Hauptmann. Give the order. Let me take the fight to the Clanners already!”

Shooting Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 10!

Banshee (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 21!

Zeus (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Sunder Prime (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 30!

Archer (player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Penetrator (player)
- Holds fire!

Cestus (player)
- Holds fire!

Caesar (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 32!

Cyclops (Allied)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 14!

Warhawk Prime
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Nightstar
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 28!

Dire Wolf Prime
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Kingfisher E
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

King Cobra
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Wolverine II
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Battle Cobra Prime
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Battle Cobra B
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Wyvern IIC
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Battle Cobra A
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Player Status:

Ally Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (0/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Time to open fire for sure. The Nightstar and Dire Wolf only have +1 move mods, so they make good Mechs to pick on first.

North Lance needs to put down the battle cobras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm thinking of running to 1837 and striking the Nightstar with everything except the medium lasers so I don't over heat too badly. Contingency would be fire on the Kingfisher with large and medium lasers if the Nightstar somehow dies before I get to fire?

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread