Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

The Wyvern IIC is a good target for half of Northern Lance while the other half guns at that Battle Cobra B. The Wyvern only has a +1 move mod unless it jumped.

Seconding this. It's a 'pocket battleship' (small, lots of guns, slow for its weight) with plenty of ammunition if you can penetrate the right areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So if we shoot the Nightstar we break the clans Zell right? Guess that means we should concentrate on the King Cobra unless we decide to say screw their rules and just mass fire on them. Either way I am advancing just need southern lance to let me know their thoughts on if we should target the Nightstar or the King Cobra.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

So if we shoot the Nightstar we break the clans Zell right?

Shoot at whatever. I've explicitly said I'm not going to punish you for it (but shooting at the Nightstar doesn't reduce the amount of fire your lance is going to take, so it may not be the best target)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The point of Zellbringen is that the Clanners think they can beat you even with their stupid single target rules, and they probably won't change their minds unless you've given them such a pounding that it won't matter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To cry foul or ask for help is to admit, in front of the other warriors, you're getting beaten by Spheroids.

They won't do that until they're genuinely desperate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Imagine if the chucklefuck brigade that was fighting the Demon Hawks were running strict zell. They'd have been even more vulnerable to good doggies and ambushes than they already were.

Speaking of Good Doggies, was Uncle Stevie having a minature one as a pet canon or just something we were talking about between updates?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
All right orders decided and sent, running to 1837 and opening up on the Kingfisher E with everything except the Autocannon. Banshee you mind assisting me with taking this guy down. As for our long range guys I am thinking you two could possibly combine fire on the King Cobra if you want to.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sure, I'll walk 1 forward since that gives me partial cover, and running will just increase my difficulties for no benefit this turn. Primary target for me will be the Kingfisher E, but if someone else kills it first I'll shoot the King Cobra.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

pun pundit posted:

Sure, I'll walk 1 forward since that gives me partial cover, and running will just increase my difficulties for no benefit this turn. Primary target for me will be the Kingfisher E, but if someone else kills it first I'll shoot the King Cobra.
The King Cobra is distracting: if you put it as a contingency target, it will become your primary target instead.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Thanks! I'll pick the Dire Wolf Prime instead then.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So the turn sequence goes:

Player moves
Enemy moves
Player shots
Enemy shots

Right? So I'll need to account for a target moving on its current course when I choose to shoot?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

tokenbrownguy posted:

So the turn sequence goes:

Player moves
Enemy moves
Player shots
Enemy shots

Right? So I'll need to account for a target moving on its current course when I choose to shoot?

Enemy units move before players, unless they have ACE.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ablative posted:

Enemy units move before players, unless they have ACE.

Correct, the actual turn sequence we experience in the thread is:

<orders go in>
Players move
(ACE Enemies move)
Players shoot
Enemies shoot
Enemies move
<new orders>

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I don't know if the current players are aware but enemy ACEs are hell to deal with. Try to not let the Cyclops die.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the quick answers!

I (the Cestus in the northern lance) am going to run forward 4 hexes (6 move with elevation changes) to 1711. Then I'll fire my Gauss Rifle and two Large Lasers at the Battle Cobra A in 1117. Sick 'em boys!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Dear Thread, where should I (the Zeus) move to and shoot? Double teaming a mech was suggested, is there someone who wants me to join in?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Volmarias posted:

Dear Thread, where should I (the Zeus) move to and shoot? Double teaming a mech was suggested, is there someone who wants me to join in?

If you can move to 2336 and engage the King Cobra with the assistance of your buddy next to you. It should give you partial cover from any return attacks and hopefully we can do soem heavy damage to two of the clan mechs before the other two unengaged mechs come to engage us.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Stop worrying and just move. If you bump into someone because they weren't coordinating with you it won't be the end of the world. There's a google doc floating around I think to help you avoid bumping into someone, but orders were due 10 hours ago so get them in quick. :shobon:

Speaking of, first alternate who gets me orders for the Cestus gets to take it over completely.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1muJUpMYiS1qyFdpW7J5OZ54Jl6kcg2TGTEp-WW1RDqU/edit#gid=136920057

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sorry, orders sent! I thought that the update was due tonight, not last night, my mistake.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No worries, it's not like the deadline has mattered before now.

I think someone may have given the northern lance some bad advice though. :saddowns:

Edit: Holy poo poo. Why do the Lyrans mainline the Zeus? Volmarias, I'll be seeing you next mission I think.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 1, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sounds like someone just joined the Headcap Club for Men.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
:rip:

remember, when PTN says repeatedly the opfor will operate in a particular way, you should probably believe!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hoo boy. Did someone beat my early headcap record?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No, it's worse than that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sounds like this is TAC country.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

Sounds like this is TAC country.

We can't stop here!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
someone with TT experience tell me what's the most absurd way a Zeus could get critted to death with one shot, please

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

someone with TT experience tell me what's the most absurd way a Zeus could get critted to death with one shot, please

Being hit by a jump torpedo from a few systems away.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, it's worse than that.

..welp, looks like the Lyrian's are in for some rough times. This mission is pretty brutal though, considering the sheer tonnage of weaponry and armor the Players are facing, and how a single bad call can bring down the hammer on an entire lance.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Small laser or single missile/LBX pellet to the leg, rolls a TAC, critical roll is a 12, leg blown off, fall, damage to head, tac, again, roll is again a 12, head blown off.
Gyro tac crits are also acceptable, preferably from the smallest possible hit. on a completely pristine segment of armor for max facepalm action.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

Being hit by a jump torpedo from a few systems away.

OK that's the winner :golfclap:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Ammo explosion was my first thought, but it's got CASE. Unless it stores the ammo someplace dumb like the head or CT...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Psion posted:

Watching as all your ammo explodes either from lucky LRM hits or from a close-combat crit machine mech (like an MG boat) exploiting the Zeus's minimum range, instantly resulting in crippling damage to the pilot as C.A.S.E. conveniently saves the majority of the mech from damage so it can be either used or sold by the person who just crippled you for life.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

thetruegentleman posted:

Watching as all your ammo explodes either from lucky LRM hits or from a close-combat crit machine mech (like an MG boat) exploiting the Zeus's minimum range, instantly resulting in crippling damage to the pilot as C.A.S.E. conveniently saves the majority of the mech from damage so it can be either used or sold by the person who just crippled you for life.

In this timeline Strict Zell turns out to be the reason the Clans triumph.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Stackpole explosion crippling its lancemates?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 4

“All right, we’ve waited long enough.” Lt. Caro’s voice came through shockingly loud and clear. Ingomar Di Pasqua hadn’t realized how still he’d gotten during the wait. “Earthshaker lance, advance forward. Let’s show these Clanners our guns!”

“Let’s fry these fuckers like fresh Pączki,” Martelli crowed as she kicked her boxy Sunder into gear.

“It’s always about food with you, Chiarina,” Ingomar taunted playfully—she always complained that field rations made her fat—and was probably dieting on the sly again, in spite of the Lieutenant’s orders. She was the first over the ridge, while Ingomar held back. In his experience, it never paid to be the first `Mech the enemy saw. They each fired as they crested, hoping to surprise the enemy with their ferocity and score a lucky hit or two. One of the cranes teetered and fell as Caro put a Gauss Rifle slug straight into one of the support struts rather than the `Mech he’d hastily aimed at.

Di Pasqua’s crosshairs fell over a boxy form his targeting computer tried to tell him was simultaneously an old SLDF Devastator and a Marauder. His Gauss Rifle struck clean, shattering armor over the Clan machine’s left breast, but his missile salvo flew wide. The soft rush of missile exhaust faded as the `Mech’s feed mechanism kicked in—but the telltale grinding of gears told him the mechanism had jammed again. He thumbed the transmit button and was just about to report when the second launcher attempted to reload and crushed its ammunition against the jammed mechanism that’d hopped its track.

The Zeus’s right arm exploded from within, sending puffs of black smoke and electronic cruft raining from the tubes of the destroyed launcher. The armor buckled but held, the rounded armor design folding in on itself. There were no myomer attachments so far down the forearm, and the damage diagnostic readout still showed green internals. Unless the sensors had been crippled, the launcher had absorbed most of the explosion.

“E-2 to E-Lead, my launchers just forcibly de-commissioned themselves. I’m down to just my direct-fire armament,” he paused and added bitterly, “and I haven’t even taken a hit yet.”

Movement Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- Insufficient MP to face hex 2334: needs 6, has 5!

Shooting Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target (Cranes are still light level 2 buildings :saddowns: )
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Crane (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 2 minimum range = 4): rolled 11, hit (0/10 CF remaining)! Building collapses!
- - Pilot skill discovered:
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Dire Wolf (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (19/34 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Dire Wolf (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 10!

Banshee (player)
- Fires PPC at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (35/45 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/10 (AP Ammo) at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (20/30 armor remaining)! AP Crit!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 21!

Zeus (player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (13/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- - Ammo Feed Problem Jam Chance: rolled 10, launcher jammed!
- Fires LRM-15 at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- - Ammo Feed Problem Jam Chance: Rolled 12, reload explodes in the launcher!
- Zeus suffers 15 damage to Right Arm (7/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (27/45 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24!

Sunder Prime (player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 30!

Archer (player)
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Penetrator (player)
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 24!

Cestus (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Caesar (player)
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 32!

Cyclops (Allied)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Nightstar (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (17/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Nightstar (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (25/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-10 (Smoke) at hex 1536 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 1 secondary target = 3): rolled 3, hit!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 14!

Warhawk Prime
- Assessing threats!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Nightstar
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Cyclops (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 28!

Dire Wolf Prime
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Left Arm (29/34 armor remaining), Right Arm (29/34 armor remaining), Left Torso (27/32 armor remaining), Right Arm (28/34 armor remaining)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Kingfisher E
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (13/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 32!

King Cobra
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Wolverine II
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Battle Cobra Prime
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Battle Cobra B
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Wyvern IIC
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Battle Cobra A
- Seeking targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

End Phase
Kingfisher
- APAC TAC in Left Arm: rolled (8 - 2 = 6), no critical hit sustained!

Player Status:

Ally Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (1/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh no! The dreaded Self-TAC!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a fine bunch of fireworks.