Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Babbymech :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-10/proof-daylight-saving-time-is-dumb-dangerous-and-costly

Daylight savings time is basically the devil.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sure, nobody likes it on the day they have to give up an hour, but on the day you get that hour back it's the best. I would like to propose a new international initiative to slow the rotation of the earth enough to give us all one more hour a day, I can't imagine there'd be any sort of far-reaching consequences for doing it!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

Sure, nobody likes it on the day they have to give up an hour, but on the day you get that hour back it's the best. I would like to propose a new international initiative to slow the rotation of the earth enough to give us all one more hour a day, I can't imagine there'd be any sort of far-reaching consequences for doing it!

As someone who used to have to work 12 hour shifts including Saturday nights, I always preferred the time we lost an hour to the time we gained it. Working an extra hour sucks. Getting paid for an hour you didn't work is the best.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Zaodai posted:

As someone who used to have to work 12 hour shifts including Saturday nights, I always preferred the time we lost an hour to the time we gained it. Working an extra hour sucks. Getting paid for an hour you didn't work is the best.

I was stuck on night watch duty in the barracks on the night of the switch. I had the midnight to 3 am shift, at which time I had to turn back all the clocks by one hour and then stay on watch duty for another hour before being relieved. I was not amused.

Sorry for the derail, this thread continues to be awesome.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Dolash posted:

Except the next morning when you have to drive to work and the sun which before was kindly below the horizon at this hour is now just at the right height to burn your eyes dead again. Just like it was a month ago and this time it will even last a bit longer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 6

“Devastator down,” Chiarina brought her Sunder around the toppling Clan machine, keeping well clear to avoid a desperation tackle. The Clanner didn’t seem to have such a dangerous maneuver in him, but it never hurt to be cautious. She’d been about to gloat when the enemy pilot’s final shots struck her machine. A hit from a Gauss slug rocked the Sunder’s torso at least two degrees off center, and her damage diagnostic monitor flashed an angry red.

“poo poo—they’ve penned my torso.” Her eyes fixed on the scrolling readout as the D.I. computer ran an automatic system test. After a moment she released the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. “Nothing critical yet, but another hit like that and I might lose my lasers.”

“Understood, target down,” Lt. Caro replied, ignoring her damage report. “Earthshaker lance, pick a new primary and bring it down. Let’s see how many Assault `Mechs we can bag.”

Shooting Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (23/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (0/28 armor, 7/19 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 10!

Banshee (player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1738!
- Fires Autocannon/10 (AP Ammo) at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Head (0/9 armor, 2/3 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires SRM-6 at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, 3 missiles hit Rear Center Torso (11/29 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Arm (13/30 armor remaining), Right Arm (28/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (23/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (18/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Rear Center Torso (6/29 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear Right Torso (5/10 armor remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 21!

Zeus (player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (0/19 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (3/45 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Kingfisher (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/45 armor, 1/29 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 24!

Sunder Prime (player)
- Fires Autocannon/20 at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/29 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, 4 missiles hit!
- Fires SRM-4 at Kingfisher (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 30!

Archer (player)
- Fires LRM-15 (HE) at Battle Cobra Prime (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 16 missiles hit Center Torso (12/17 armor remaining), Left Leg (14/19 armor remaining), Left Leg (9/19 armor remaining), Right Torso (14/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 (HE) at Battle Cobra Prime (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 20!

Penetrator (player)
- Attempts to attack Battle Cobra A: No Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Battle Cobra B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Battle Cobra B (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 24!

Cestus (player)
- Attempts to attack Battle Cobra A: No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 24!

Caesar (player)
- Fires PPC at Battle Cobra B (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Battle Cobra B (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 32!

Cyclops (Allied)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (25/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (17/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-10 (Deadfire) at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 7): rolled 11, 8 missiles hit Left Torso (7/32 armor remaining), Center Torso (44/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (2/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (12/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Nightstar (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, 3 missiles hit Right Torso (30/32 armor remaining), Right Leg (23/40 armor remaining), Right Torso (28/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 14! Overheating!

Warhawk Prime
- Fires ER PPC at Banshee (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Banshee (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-10 at Banshee (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 6 missiles hit Right Arm (16/21 armor remaining), Right Torso (14/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 35 heat, sinks 40!

Nightstar
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1430!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (14/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Cyclops (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (11/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Cyclops (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Leg (19/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Clan) at Cyclops (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (12/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Clan) at Cyclops (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (23/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 28!

Dire Wolf Prime
- Fires ER PPC at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (35/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, 16 missiles hit Left Torso (22/32 armor remaining), Left Leg (37/42 armor remaining), Left Arm (24/34 armor remaining), Right Torso (31/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 38 heat, sinks 40!

Kingfisher E
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1635!
- Fires ER PPC at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (18/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/28 armor, 17/19 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (10/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Sunder (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 40 heat, sinks 32!

King Cobra
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (10/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Zeus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (23/25 armor remaining), Center Torso (24/26 armor remaining), Left Torso (21/25 armor remaining), Right Torso (8/25 armor remaining), Left Torso (19/25 armor remaining), Left Arm (20/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Zeus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 26!

Wolverine II
- Fires Ultra AC/5 (Ultra) at Caesar (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 2 shells hit Center Torso (21/26 armor remaining), Right Arm (16/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Clan) at Caesar (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (14/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 20!

Battle Cobra Prime
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1619!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (14/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (7/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (14/21 armor remaining)!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 26!

Battle Cobra B
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1718!
- Fires ER PPC at Cestus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (5/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Cestus (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Cestus (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 26!

Wyvern IIC
- Unable to act
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Battle Cobra A
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

End Phase:
Wyvern IIC
- Must pass an 11+ consciousness test: rolled 6, fails!

Sunder (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
King Cobra
- Must pass a 3+ test to activate MASC: rolled 9, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test for turning on concrete (4 base + 0 distance traveled = 4): rolled 12, succeeds!

Player Status:

Ally Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (4/10 turns)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/8)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
So, focus fire seems to be working?

Time to settle in for a good ole' slugging match then.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Thinking about running to 2117 and blasting BC Prime with all my medium pulses.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
That's some good focus fire. What should get killed next?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

habituallyred posted:

Thinking about running to 2117 and blasting BC Prime with all my medium pulses.

Don't forget about your jump jets!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, some strange moves from the star in the north. Unfortunately for the goons there, all but the Wolverine have +3 move mods, so hitting them is going to be extremely challenging.

I think I'd try and collapse on to and dogpile the Battle Cobra Prime, since it's the only one already damaged, and twin LPLs is a great thing to take off the board.

Southern group has more issues to deal with though. That King Cobra is faster than all of you and it will murder the hell out of anything it gets in melee range of. The Thunder Hawk can get back shots on it this turn, but they're at 7s so it's nothing like a guarantee. The Zeus sure needs to run away though. Even staying in melee from the upper level to try and get a head kick in is an iffy trade since that mace will go straight through your leg armor if it connects.

The easiest choice to focus fire is probably that Nightstar, since it's got very thin armor on the LT and is fixated on your allied unit.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I rolled a critical chance but it doesn't seem to be in the end phase? On the kingfishers left torso.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I hate the idea of us splitting fire a bit, but I feel like the Green Knight is getting a bit thin on armor to leave the Nightstar alone, and the Thunderhawk putting gauss slugs into the King Cobra is probably one of the best chances we have of getting rid of it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Neopie posted:

I rolled a critical chance but it doesn't seem to be in the end phase? On the kingfishers left torso.

Pretty sure that was just tossed by the wayside after that AC/20 shot straight up cored the entire CT!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Pretty sure that was just tossed by the wayside after that AC/20 shot straight up cored the entire CT!

Oh, my bad.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
That Warhawk Prime is targeting multiple people now. Not sure if that means he is free for all on us or just has multiple specific targets in mind. Either way I was thinking of doing this:

Running straight forward to hex 1630

Firing my large lasers, SRMs and autocannon at the Night Star to help out the Cyclops.

The rest of south lance want to gang up on that King Cobra?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Up to you guys, the Night Star's softened up but not actually penned anywhere so it'd take more than a Cyclops and a Sunder to down it. The K.Cob has to go down eventually but it doesn't have a lot of explosive components in easily damaged areas besides the Gauss Rifle so it's going to be a slog, and only the T.Hawk has backshots on it. That said, Neopie should probably do that, even if that will probably turn her into a target for others in case they're sufficiently incensed by the affront. Which is going to happen eventually, but it never hurts to have fair warning. Maybe you and pun pundit work on the Night Star, while Neopie and Volmarias start scraping armor off the K. Cobra?

As a longshot Hail Mary play you could also try to run to 1234 and unload into the Dire Wolf's back but the odds of happening are fairly slim. But that's also probably the one chance anybody will have to backshot the Dire Wolf and the opportunity to possibly knock out 4k BV in one turn would be a huge swing. Again, this will probably piss people off and make a target of you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I like Xarbala's 2/3 idea... the backshot is too potentially useful to not try for, but ... sounds bad, but I'm kinda figuring that after the Zeus's LRMs dying, it's time to do triage, count it as basically mission killed, and see how long Volmarias can keep the King Cobra tied up and or how far he can draw it away from the rest of the southern lance.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I'm taking the Archer straight down to 1812, since that seems to be the only way I'm getting into short range on that Battle Cobra Prime. I could also go to 2011, but that would give me 10s to hit on the Battle Cobra Prime and I'm not sure if it'll deny LoS to the battle cobra shooting at me.

Also, guys, please remember to post your moves in the spreadsheet or on here so we can copy it to the spreadsheet and give you friendly reminders when you (probably) don't have LoS on things.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Gwaihir posted:

Hm, some strange moves from the star in the north. Unfortunately for the goons there, all but the Wolverine have +3 move mods, so hitting them is going to be extremely challenging.

Yeah, is that a trap or a bluff? Presenting potential back shots I mean.

And whoa, that firing line in the assault star. I hope the Green Knight does ok against that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At the moment only the Night Star and Warhawk consider the Cyclops a valid target but that could change quickly. Possibly with just a single turn's warning.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Can't believe I forgot about turning costs, I will have to use jump jets to brawl with that cobra. If I wing it to 2118 the short range bonus should make shooting after jumping just as good as shooting after running, aside from heat.

I am in favor of sucking it up and taking some rear fire as the cost of getting closer to all of our friends and mission objectives, but I am not the one offered that risk this turn.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So what do people think is it worth the hail mary attempt to blast the Dire Wolf in the back? If I want to risk over heating again I could add the medium lasers into the mix and if I am judging this right I should be hitting on sixes though if it doesn't die and even if it does I will likely anger all them Clanners.

Then again no guts, no glory and who doesn't love annoying Clanners. Tempted to go for it and smack that Dire Wolf.

Also quick heat question as I am still trying to work out heat rules. Is it 1 heat for every hex moved? Also at what point does a mech overheat? Is it as soon as you pass the heat sink threshold or is it a certain number past?

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 16, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

So what do people think is it worth the hail mary attempt to blast the Dire Wolf in the back? If I want to risk over heating again I could add the medium lasers into the mix and if I am judging this right I should be hitting on sixes though if it doesn't die and even if it does I will likely anger all them Clanners.

Then again no guts, no glory and who doesn't love annoying Clanners. Tempted to go for it and smack that Dire Wolf.

Also quick heat question as I am still trying to work out heat rules. Is it 1 heat for every hex moved? Also at what point does a mech overheat? Is it as soon as you pass the heat sink threshold or is it a certain number past?

It's 1 heat for a walk, 2 heat for a run, and 1-per-hex if you're Jumping. You technically Overheat any time you have leftover heat that you haven't sinked, though you don't start seeing penalties until you reach 5 heat. As the Sunder has 30 heatsinks, this means it's safe to build 34 points of heat without suffering any movement or to-hit penalties.

That said, any leftover heat still on that scale when your turn starts gets added to the total heat you have to sink later, so you still want to hover at or under 30 heat to remain neutral.

Also make no mistake, it's a very slim chance to be able to take out the Dire Wolf in one backshot. Your AC/20 needs to hit either the Head or the CT to kill it outright, and in the case of a CT hit you do need to confirm the crit chance roll and get at least two hits on the Gyro or three on the Engine. A side torso hit that sets off some ammo could also prove crippling, as that removes the arm attached to the torso too. That said, you have to both hit and hit a location that could potentially pay off. Based on 2d6 probability spreads and the hit location table you're looking at, you have a 44% chance of hitting a rear torso and just under a 3% chance of hitting the head, and that's if you hit at all so again, Hail Mary. If that AC round both hits and lands on the Right Arm you might have a chance of popping some ER PPCs but that's a bit of a consolation prize.

There's also getting lucky with nailing two laser hits on a rear side torso location, or three hits onto the rear CT, but that's asking for a lot of stars to align.

I didn't suggest it because it's optimal, I suggested it because it's interestingly ballsy and a dick move in that distinctly Spheroid way. But Clanners will win if you play by their rules and this breaks just about all of them. Surviving also means getting to play shinkicker with the Dire Wolf, and if it turns around to face you it's still leaving its butt vulnerable to someone else (like the T.Hawk, if Volmarias can keep playing keep away with the K.Cob).

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

My gut feeling is to leave the Dire Wolf for later - it's after the Thunder Hawk which has good armor still, and not in range to use its AC. With focus fire the Nightstar might get brought down or lose a lot of hitting power this turn, whereas spiking the Dire Wolf with one mech probably won't significantly reduce the incoming fire. I'm even iffy on if the Thunder Hawk should peg the King Cobra - when's the Clan physical combat phase in the turn order, and does the car-looking-thing in 1830 and 1931 block LOS for the THawk?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

My gut feeling is to leave the Dire Wolf for later - it's after the Thunder Hawk which has good armor still, and not in range to use its AC. With focus fire the Nightstar might get brought down or lose a lot of hitting power this turn, whereas spiking the Dire Wolf with one mech probably won't significantly reduce the incoming fire. I'm even iffy on if the Thunder Hawk should peg the King Cobra - when's the Clan physical combat phase in the turn order, and does the car-looking-thing in 1830 and 1931 block LOS for the THawk?

So long as the Cyclops is alive, there are no enemy ACEs on the field, meaning the Clans can't melee at all if the players keep moving away from them [thanks to players auto-winning initiative against everybody but ACEs]. Now, damage doesn't actually get calculated until everyone's shots are fired so you can't prevent incoming damage this turn, but choosing to knock out either the Night Star or the Dire Wolf this turn could stop damage being sent down next turn. The Night Star is, indeed, the more prudent choice in terms of potentially knocking someone out and one of the two 'Mechs that consider the Cyclops a valid target. It has slightly less than half the effective potential firepower the Dire Wolf does but it's focusing that firepower on a valuable ally asset. Meanwhile, yes, the Dire Wolf is targeting someone reasonably far away from its biggest guns, though it's still plenty dangerous with half of its weapons at medium range while the other half is at long. It's also standing still and its pilot has decent base gunnery skill, so even those long-range weapons will be hitting the T.Hawk on a 7 unless something changes. I figure the Thunder Hawk can take one or two turns of that kind of firepower but not three, and it could still luck out with bad rolls on the Dire Wolf's part.

(For the curious, the Night Star's damage potential with an alpha hovers above 60 damage, while the Dire Wolf could potentially slam someone with 130. In other words, its firepower is just slightly under the Warhawk and Night Star combined. Obviously to-hit and cluster rolls means that they'll rarely hit that hard but the OpFor still outguns the players by a wide margin.)

Now, whether or not that Dropship in hexes 1830,1931 blocks LOS is a very good question and now I'm curious too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So, running to 2833 and turning towards the cobra one turn should put it in my firing arc. Will I be in it's firing and or melee arc? If instead of turning I run one hex further and attack another mech, will the cobra still be able to hit me? Will running past it break zell?

Will I even be allowed to do this?

Also, don't count me down and out just yet; I'm still alive for a couple more turns to distract the cobra at least.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now, this might be common sense, but in the long term the survival of the assault lance hinges on the heavy lance being able to clear out the mediums and start being the hammer to southern lance's anvil. Because whoa nelly, these IS assaults are pretty heavily outgunned and their best bet is to buy time and knock out as many of the Clan assaults as they can. Most of the discussion is on the assaults atm because that's where the fighting's diciest but the northern lance has an important job to do and limited time to do it. So, reminder to double-check with PTN if you're unsure about LOS from the hex you mean to go to and the target you intend to shoot at. There's no penalty for asking the GM on a rules clarification and this is twice now that LOS has hosed you guys over.

Also don't forget you can make firing contingencies. As in "Fire my [chosen weapons] on target A, if I cannot fire on target A because of LOS issues or because it's already dead by the time my shooting resolution comes up, fire those weapons on target B instead." I noticed one player had LOS contingencies in their order and one player didn't.

Usually LOS contingencies are for dealing with ACEs who can break LOS by moving after you make a decision, but sometimes it helps for this situation too.

Volmarias posted:

So, running to 2833 and turning towards the cobra one turn should put it in my firing arc. Will I be in it's firing and or melee arc? If instead of turning I run one hex further and attack another mech, will the cobra still be able to hit me? Will running past it break zell?

Will I even be allowed to do this?

Also, don't count me down and out just yet; I'm still alive for a couple more turns to distract the cobra at least.

I'm pretty sure it'll be able to torso twist to 2934 and put you in its front arc, meaning you will be vulnerable to a giant pile of "oh gently caress" if you do this. You can, however attempt to justice foot it. That is, Kick its head off. Yes, like koolkevz, you also have a Hail Mary option for an instakill on a 'Mech twice your BV. I just didn't want to suggest it because it puts you at even more risk.

You're still here and you can still fight, but moving to play field goal with its cockpit is an all-in attack. And you only have a 1-out-of-6 chance of landing it on the head even if you do hit.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Xarbala posted:

So long as the Cyclops is alive, there are no enemy ACEs on the field, meaning the Clans can't melee at all if the players keep moving away from them [thanks to players auto-winning initiative against everybody but ACEs]. Now, damage doesn't actually get calculated until everyone's shots are fired so you can't prevent incoming damage this turn, but choosing to knock out either the Night Star or the Dire Wolf this turn could stop damage being sent down next turn. The Night Star is, indeed, the more prudent choice in terms of potentially knocking someone out and one of the two 'Mechs that consider the Cyclops a valid target.

Yeah, I think we're thinking the same way here. I figure that splitting fire too much means we probably won't reduce next turn's damage at all, while hitting the Nightstar hard might.

The THawk won't stand up to too many turns, true, but that's sorta emblematic of the whole engagement down there, and if the Banshee and Sunder are in the right place (and survive) they might be able to have a chance of punching holes in the WHawk or Dire Wolf to take the pressure off in a few turns.

Volmarias posted:

Xarbala covered this too, I think, but with the way the turn order works I'm pretty sure the only way it can Mace you is if you choose to end your movement next to the King Cobra. (I might be wrong) If that's the case, I'd avoid ending up directly next to it no matter what as... well, that sucker will be doing 40 damage to you?

Your call if you want to keep distracting it for as long as possible or roll the dice on a hail mary though, of course.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Caesar here...

I am pondering two options

1) Walk to 1612 and take backshots at Battle Cobra A.
I am eyeballing my to-hits here as + 1 walk, + 3 move mod, + 4 base. (Gauss + ERPPC are in short range, pulses are in medium which negates their to hit bonus).

2) Run to 1814 and fire at the (slightly) damage Battle Cobra Prime (pulse lasers need to die).
My to hits here would be +9 with Gauss + ERPPC and +11 with MPLs.

Ok, the second option actually sounds pretty bad after running numbers. :v:

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Xarn posted:

Caesar here...

I am pondering two options

1) Walk to 1612 and take backshots at Battle Cobra A.
I am eyeballing my to-hits here as + 1 walk, + 3 move mod, + 4 base. (Gauss + ERPPC are in short range, pulses are in medium which negates their to hit bonus).

2) Run to 1814 and fire at the (slightly) damage Battle Cobra Prime (pulse lasers need to die).
My to hits here would be +9 with Gauss + ERPPC and +11 with MPLs.

Ok, the second option actually sounds pretty bad after running numbers. :v:

Back shots on 8s against an enemy your gauss and ER PPC will put giant holes in if they hit? Yes please. And if you take that guy out, you free up the Archer to move more aggressively as well, I'm having to be careful to avoid that thing at the moment.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not sure it's relevant because the Dire Wolf has the Thunderhawk as a target, but it may be worth considering that the Dire Wolf's arms are flippy and being behind it still means looking at 2 ERPPCs and a UAC/20.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Hey TokenBrownGuy, while it might involve taking a little more damage yourself, you should consider stepping forward to 1313 and punting the Battle Cobra A in the head. I think you'd be looking at 6s on a kick? You would be in short range for everything on the Battle Cobra B as well so you could unload on that.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can do. :911:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
It's not as cool but I am going with my original idea of moving up and blasting the Nightstar in the face.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Banshee here, no idea what to do. No one is explicitly targeting me, but presenting rear shots to an opportunistic mech seems like a terrible idea. So is standing still in the open. Any ideas?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I'm just going to turn and shoot the King Cobra in the back 40 times.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Try not to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is just a friendly reminder to get your orders in.

Edit: I don't look at the player coordination spreadsheets so if you don't PM / e-mail your orders to me I don't know what you're doing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread