Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There is a copy of Far country at my local used bookstore, it is quite the temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should buy it, cut it up and fold it into paper cranes. Then send them in a box to your government representative.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

chutche2 posted:

So I got an email that Far Country is now in ebook form

*SQUAWK*

... so what's the jump rating for Tetatae infantry? :v:

Sarna posted:

Canonicity

Because of the sentient aliens featured in Far Country, the novel's canonicity is sometimes questioned. However, it does meet the current criteria for Canon and BattleTech Line Developer Herbert A. Beas has confirmed its canonicity, with the caveat that the authors and developers deliberately ignore the Tetatae and shall not revisit them. The impact on the BattleTech universe is minor, given that the Tetatae only (theoretically) exist in a place that has no connections to the known universe whatsoever.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 31, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/battletech-april-fools-day-operation-total-freakin-awesomeness/

I don't know, kind of prefer this to Stackpole's stuff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The dialogue is more believable at least.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Caesar here.
My plan for this turn is going to 1413 and then set up complicated contingency orders to shoot at the battle cobras with whatever I can.

It will mean denying LoS to Wolverine, so I guess he will try to shoot the Archer? He does have more armor left than I do though...

Any other thoughts?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Should I go north and try to attack the northern lance in the back, it should I turn around and try to support down there?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, once I put out the MegaMEK files for the King Cobra I'll have pretty much exhausted all the really good custom `Mechs I've made for the setting.

What other sorts of updates do you guys want to see on my Patreon? I'm kinda at a loss what to actually do with it.

Edit: I suppose I could post work-in-progress pictures of the 6mm-scale buildings / scenery I'm doing just so I'll have something neat to pose my `Mechs on while I take pictures, but I'm not sure how much interest there'll be in a 2 inch tall expanded foam hotel or a tiny little log cabin.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 2, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Notable MechWarriors of the Clan Invasion! Basically the notable pilots section from TROs but since you aren't writing TROs you can just do the best part.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

What other sorts of updates do you guys want to see on my Patreon? I'm kinda at a loss what to actually do with it.

Man I'm just happy to support a work of art I've been watching for...uh. Not since the start, but almost certainly more than five years now? I think I've moved at least once, changed computers at least twice...

Not to say you shouldn't do other neat stuff with the Patreon, but the prime work is the thread, I think, and plenty of the things I patronize just update the prime work and nothing else.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Defiance Industries posted:

Notable MechWarriors of the Clan Invasion! Basically the notable pilots section from TROs but since you aren't writing TROs you can just do the best part.

Sounds like a good opportunity to flesh out the background of fan favored characters. Could also touch on what happened to some of them in the interim between our fleeting glimpses in game.

A brief history of Caesar Steiner's rise as a bondsman, for example.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Notable characters and organizations!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tran posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to flesh out the background of fan favored characters. Could also touch on what happened to some of them in the interim between our fleeting glimpses in game.

A brief history of Caesar Steiner's rise as a bondsman, for example.

How about a lore recap so those of us who haven't been following the thread for half a decade know what this refers to?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Loxbourne posted:

How about a lore recap so those of us who haven't been following the thread for half a decade know what this refers to?

I believe the State of the Inner Sphere: 3035 update would, as with many of the plot threads going forward, help with that.

It starts here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And that's why I mathed that out as a 0/1.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

And that's why I mathed that out as a 0/1.
Looks like somebody got annihilated by the Haunted Marauder.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well this should be interesting.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
TRO: PTN

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 10

He hadn’t meant to do it, but it had happened. A combination of factors were to blame—the heat of the moment, the enemy’s threatening advance, and perhaps even distraction caused by the wildly maneuvering “berserk” Marauder. The Clan Varangian’s cockpit had been reduced to a smoldering wreck by one of Qasim’s Gauss Rifles, but even in death the Clanner’s aim had been true—and whether it had been the last impulses of a brain certain of its own demise, a computer glitch, or vengeance from the beyond, the Clan machine had simply unloaded every last weapon it had into Lt. Caro’s Thunder Hawk.

His cockpit had gone dark an instant after the right side of his `Mech’s damage diagnostic display flashed a very concerning shade of red. The engine had been destroyed, stripping Lt. Caro’s `Mech of life and ending the erratic battle updates. The Thunder Hawk rocked and shook as the Clanner’s fury spent itself on its unpowered corpse, and then fell silent. The Clan `Mech toppled, its SRM racks still trailing plumes of inky smoke. Almost miraculously, the Thunder Hawk did not.

Qasim sighed. He didn’t mind being a soldier, even when he was doing nothing but painting fences back at base. The structure and uniformity of it was comforting both on base and out in the field. To take another’s life was the part about his job he hated most, he’d done so before, and he’d have to do so again—but he quietly questioned the sanity of any Mechwarrior who claimed to relish such circumstances. Even so, the sheer gleeful apathy of the strange black Marauder as it casually blew Lt. Di Pasqua’s leg off chilled him to the core—as did the way it stalked around the wreck of the Cyclops. It almost seemed like it was searching for a pilot to crush. Qasim didn’t particularly like the Saeder-Krupp Mechwarrior, but all the same, he hoped they were still safe in their `Mech’s spacious cockpit.

Movement Phase
Zeus (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid a skid (4 base - 1 distance traveled = 3): rolled 5, succeeds!

The Black Marauder (Allied?)
- Emits smoke in hex 1934!

Shooting Phase
Thunder Hawk (player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Dire Wolf (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Dire Wolf (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Dire Wolf (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (12/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Dire Wolf (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 12, hit Left Arm (22/34 armor remaining)!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 10! Overheating!

Banshee (player)
- Primary target already destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 21!

Zeus (player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2920!
- Fires ER Large Laser at King Cobra (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at King Cobra (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 2 minimum range = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 24!

Archer (player)
- Fires LRM-15 (HE) at Battle Cobra Prime (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 (HE) at Battle Cobra Prime (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 12 missiles hit Left Leg (4/19 armor remaining), Left Leg (0/19 armor, 9/10 structure remaining (Crit!), Right Arm (10/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Battle Cobra B (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 11): rolled 6, Fails to Lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Battle Cobra B (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 11): rolled 7, Fails to Lock-on!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Battle Cobra B (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (4/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Battle Cobra B (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/15 armor, 8/10 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Penetrator (player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Battle Cobra Prime (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heat - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Battle Cobra Prime (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heat - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 24!

Cestus (player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Caesar (player)
- Fires ER PPC at Battle Cobra Prime (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Battle Cobra Prime (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 32!

Dire Wolf Prime
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, 2 shells hit Right Torso (0/32 armor, 15/21 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Leg (17/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (0/15 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! XL Engine destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires ER PPC at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Leg (6/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (23/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/34 armor, 12/17 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Right Leg (4/42 armor remaining), Center Torso (21/50 armor remaining), Center Torso (19/50 armor remaining), Left Arm (10/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (17/50 armor remaining), Center Torso (15/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Thunder Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, 6 missiles hit Left Leg (15/42 armor remaining), Center Torso (13/50 armor remaining), Center Torso (11/50 armor remaining), Center Torso (9/50 armor remaining), Right Leg (2/42 armor remaining), Center Torso (7/50 armor remaining)!
- Gains 75 heat, sinks 38! Overheating!

King Cobra
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2029!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (0/24 armor, 11/17 structure remaining)! TAC!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Zeus (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (17/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Wolverine II
- Fires Ultra AC/5 (Ultra) at Archer (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 11, 2 shells hit Right Torso (12/24 armor remaining), Left Torso (12/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Clan) at Archer (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (8/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Archer (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 11, 5 missiles hit Left Leg (damage blocked by terrain), Left Leg (damage blocked by terrain), Right Arm (13/22 armor remaining), Left Torso (10/24 armor remaining), Left Torso (8/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 20!

Battle Cobra Prime
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1722!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (11/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit 7 (10/23 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Penetrator (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (4/21 armor remaining)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

Battle Cobra B
- Fires ER PPC at Caesar (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (6/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Caesar (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (7/21 armor remaining)!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 26!

Black Marauder (Allied?)
- Randomly Determines Gunnery: Rolled (1 - 1 = 0)!
- Randomly determines target (Banshee = 1, King Cobra = 2, 3, Zeus = 4, 5, reroll = 6): rolled 4, Zeus!
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor at Zeus (0 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 2): automatically hit Left Arm (0/22 armor, 6/13 structure remaining)! Crit! Capacitor Drained!
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor at Zeus (0 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 2): automatically hit Left Leg (0/17 structure remaining)! Leg blown off! Capacitor Drained!
- 9 damage transfers to Center Torso (8/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 42 heat, sinks 42!

End Phase:
Battle Cobra Prime
- Critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!

Battle Cobra B
- Critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 5, no critical hits sustained!

Penetrator (Player)
- Critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage - 1 stable = 4): rolled 10, succeeds!

Turn End Phase:
The Black Marauder (Allied?)
- Forcibly Overcharges PPC Capacitor: must pass a 5+ test to avoid capacitor explosion: rolled 8, succeeds!
- Forcibly Overcharges PPC Capacitor: must pass a 5+ test to avoid capacitor explosion: rolled 10, succeeds!

Player Status:

Ally? Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (0/1)
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (canceled)
- - Outlast or destroy the Black Marauder (2/5 turns, 0/1 `Mech remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (failed)
- - Do not destroy the Black Marauder (0/1)
- Extract if Necessary (0/5)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 3, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Goonlance is getting hosed by that Marauder, whoah.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do the Cloud Cobras know where that Marauder came from? If not, we might be able to get them to step up and draw some fire by openly calling them out of the cowardice involved in sending one of their warriors in, having stricken his own colors, to ambush us. It has only shot at IS units so far, so they aren't aware of its random targeting or anything and might feel some kind of honor-bound nature to bring down the mech imbalancing the fight in their favor.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The rogue Marauder has turned feral, run before it's too late! :supaburn:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So the Zeus is dead, it can't prop up and shoot?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

So the Zeus is dead, it can't prop up and shoot?

Mission killed is out of play, as always.

The only time this isn't the case is if someone gives them a reason to need to prop themselves up and start shooting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Minor typo in the second fluff paragraph, you referred to the Thunder Hawk's pilot as Qaro instead of Caro.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Rough turn for Goodcompany, two 'Mechs down in exhcnage to their one, and two of the enemy 'mechs are still ACE'd up, plus we have the team killing robot ghost to deal with.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Given the object's targeting roll, I think getting away from it ASAP might be useful, especially if it puts clan mechs closer to it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The headshot was quite a stroke of luck, lets the Goons maintain their relative advantage. It's a pretty slim margin though, and the situation in the South looks pretty hard to salvage - best case might be those three mechs taking each other out or at least keeping the marauder busy long enough to shut down. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Holy... yikes, mutual kill.

And yikes, that Marauder. Southern Lance's plan almost worked...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, that Marauder is not loving around--rest in peace Volmarias, you did what you could given the circumstances.

What are the odds it'll be able to solo the King Cobra?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I was going to complain that PTN moved me to the wrong spot, but I guess it doesn't matter.

On the plus side, I lasted SIGNIFICANTLY longer than I expected to, and acted as ablative armor for the mechs that count, so :shrug:

Edit: if it and the cobra decide to smush together, it's all over for the Marauder.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jesus. see if you can get a Clan mech closer to the Marauder than you?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

I was going to complain that PTN moved me to the wrong spot, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Volmarias posted:

Run to 2129, rotate CCW once to face 2028

:shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Poop, meant to write 2128, not 2129. I wanted to step up and justice foot the Cobra if it MASCed up next to me.

Anyway, not important now!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I've been pretty lucky to not be targeted a lot in the south but now I'm all alone against two pristine mechs. I'll head north I guess to try and link up. I'm slow, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

pun pundit posted:

I've been pretty lucky to not be targeted a lot in the south but now I'm all alone against two pristine mechs. I'll head north I guess to try and link up. I'm slow, though.

The King Cobra is faster than you even in the best case scenario, I think.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think I am going to walk up to the Battle Cobra B, fire everything (gently caress, 2 MPLs are rear facing), and then kick him for good measure.

Good idea/bad idea? :v:

e:

Is 1734 dissipating smoke?

Xarn fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 3, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Artificer posted:

The King Cobra is faster than you even in the best case scenario, I think.

So I have to hope that the Marauder targets the King Cobra, basically. I have nowhere I can run away to, and AFAIK I can't back into the water to get cover and a heat advantage. I can either try to run to the northern lance, try to run to the dropship, or go straight at the King Cobra or Marauder. In all cases I am likely to be killed before achieving my objective, so I guess I'll go at them to try and do some damage before I die.

PoptartsNinja, I have two Distracting mechs as possible targets in the south. They're both ACE. There are options for either of them to not be in LOS, or I can have a much worse chance to hit either than the other, depending on their movements before my firing orders execute. I'd like to make some firing contingencies. How does Distracting work with alternate targets when both 'mechs have it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

pun pundit posted:

PoptartsNinja, I have two Distracting mechs as possible targets in the south. They're both ACE. There are options for either of them to not be in LOS, or I can have a much worse chance to hit either than the other, depending on their movements before my firing orders execute. I'd like to make some firing contingencies. How does Distracting work with alternate targets when both 'mechs have it?

You treat contingency orders as normal if they're both distracting. Realistically neither of them is going to die before you shoot so the only way a contingency would fire is if one of them somehow winds up behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If I was a better pilot I would charge that pesky Wolverine. Trying to decide between walking for better shots in hex 2018 and running for punches in hex 2118. Probably going to severely overheat this turn and do a bit of running away next turn if I survive.

• Locked thread