Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

No, I mean, that was an ERPPC hit that did 10 damage.

Inner Sphere ER PPCs do 10 damage.

They're not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Inner Sphere ER PPCs do 10 damage.

They're not great.

Wow, that Clanner is generous to offer leaving then. He would probably win a 4 vs 3+1 turn, with the 3 remaining machines in better condition.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

As much as I'd like to see a Battletech equivalent of Maximum Overdrive, allowing anyone to reverse-engineer sentient berzerker mechs would have been an objectively terrible idea.

Edit: Also hopping on the 'take the win' bandwagon, you guys are already pretty hosed up.

I could be trusted to only use a sentient berzerker mech for good. :colbert:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Too bad, the Steiners going on a rampage in an alt-setting with real political consequences would be awesome.
Their industrial base has real potential for Galactic domination with PTN as GM, as long as they can survive and reform.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sorry about missing that turn, don't know why I thought I had one more day. I would vote for accepting peace, but I am too busy trying to get out of the cockpit.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Lets peace out. We still get to salvage the Marauder's toys, just not the ghost (crazy AI?), which is for the best. :v:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I've been out of action for a while now but I suggest going for the victory, we fought hard and well and we should claim what victory we can at this point.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Welp, I suppose that's one way to kill a Daemon-possessed Zombie Marauder from hell. Rip and tear.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rorahusky posted:

Welp, I suppose that's one way to kill a Daemon-possessed Zombie Marauder from hell. Rip and tear.

Crush the head, destroy the brain.

Peace out, Gooncompany. That's a hell of a lot of wrecked clan assaults, and primary objectives attained. That Cestus is exceedingly lucky, the Penetrator less so.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Wow, that Clanner is generous to offer leaving then. He would probably win a 4 vs 3+1 turn, with the 3 remaining machines in better condition.

She's acting logically. She knows her Star Commander is unconscious, she can't communicate with the other Battle Cobra due to the headshot so all she knows is it went behind the buildings and then went silent, she knows the King Cobra has taken internal damage (although not how bad that damage is), and she knows her own machine has its leg armor stripped so it's a matter of when, not if, the leg fails.

Even if she believes she can take down two `Mechs with little problem, that still leaves her with two `Mechs to contend with and for all that they harp on about fair play, Clan warriors do not like to place bets on even odds.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Makes sense.

Any idea when we might get the chance to vote for playing the Demon Hawks again btw? I'm pretty sure it'll beat any other options hands down.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Archer here, totally willing to accept the victory at this point, although I will recommend our Banshee move to block the Marauder's access to water even if it is headless, you know, just in case.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's three votes for peace, but either tokenbrownguy or habituallyred could keep us in the fight if they'd like to continue (no one is harmed by continuing so if anyone's not done having fun killing `Mechs we'll continue playing)!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Do votes from the peanut gallery count? Or is it ultimately up to the pilots?

Because I'll vote to grant them SAFCON, except if the pilots want to keep fighting, I suppose they'll just keep on mashing the trigger.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pretty sure it's up to the actual players of the match whether they want to be done. I wouldn't blame anyone who has waited for years for their turn, to want another round or two, even if it risks turning a modest victory into a defeat.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty sure it's up to the actual players of the match whether they want to be done. I wouldn't blame anyone who has waited for years for their turn, to want another round or two, even if it risks turning a modest victory into a defeat.

As someone waiting for their second turn, I would blame them.

I blame all of you both individually and combined.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TildeATH posted:

I blame all of you both individually and combined.

Ahhh, except you see, you can't blame me, because I'm not even on the pilot list.

I am truly The Peanut Gallery! (smile)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Those of us not on the pilots list are the real heroes. How's that for irony, TildeATH? :smugdog: :china:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm okay with the fight ending.

Thanks for running the game PTN! That was a blast.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Do votes from the peanut gallery count?

Nope!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I would also like to echo the thanks for running this game PTN. I was dreading and hoping for my turn to come around and it was just as if not more fun than I expected it to be sp thank you for all your hard work.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

As much as I'd like to see a Battletech equivalent of Maximum Overdrive, allowing anyone to reverse-engineer sentient berzerker mechs would have been an objectively terrible idea.

How can so many posters be so wrong? Sapient berserker mechs would've been the best thing to happen to the storyline in that part of the sphere since Steiner Rules Dueling.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The hauptmann is really the kind of person who would keep fighting even if it's stupid.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Tran posted:

How can so many posters be so wrong? Sapient berserker mechs would've been the best thing to happen to the storyline in that part of the sphere since Steiner Rules Dueling.

Yes, I for one was very sad.

The EvangelionMarauder eating everyone on site and escaping would've been a good second.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

Those of us not on the pilots list are the real heroes. How's that for irony, TildeATH? :smugdog: :china:

NEVAR FORGET

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RA Rx posted:

Yes, I for one was very sad.

The EvangelionMarauder eating everyone on site and escaping would've been a good second.

It's going to show up like the yeti from Ski Free later during the planetary assault. Just run in and pick up a Locust or something and eat it in front of everyone.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hold F to go faster (and then have your legs pop off)

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Tran posted:

This was more or less the plotline of a Sierra Dynamix game called Earthsiege. It was decent, but they realized they'd pretty much mined the depths of the 'unknowable killing machine' plot vein and switched to clones, and then somehow that became Tribes.

On the other hand, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I think PTN is a strong enough writer to do a System Shock or I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream evil machine that's both communicative and interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Earthsiege was goddamn awesome and my personal introduction to Stompy Robits.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Wow, this takes me back; Dynamix made a bunch of awesome games, and I wasted a great many hours of my youth in front of my computer because of then.

I remember clearly trying to wrap my head around the control system; "Why do I have to control walking, turning, aiming, firing, and more turning (torso) separately!?! Who comes up with this stuff!?!"

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Centurium posted:

This was more or less the plotline of a Sierra Dynamix game called Earthsiege. It was decent, but they realized they'd pretty much mined the depths of the 'unknowable killing machine' plot vein and switched to clones, and then somehow that became Tribes.

On the other hand, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I think PTN is a strong enough writer to do a System Shock or I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream evil machine that's both communicative and interesting.

Don't forget about Cyberstorm. 1 was good, 2 never clicked for me. You had the HERCs and their hybrid clone pilots, which tended to die very young for a variety of reasons against the cybrids. Machine monsters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like the Earthsiege/Cyberstorm/Starseige universe.

Create a bunch of smart machines to fight wars for you. They rebel and try wipe out humanity.

To try wipe them out, you create a bunch of clone warriors to fight for you. Of course they also rebel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-J93GhW_I

And you get to watch them die while you have them fight for you :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Night10194 posted:

Earthsiege was goddamn awesome and my personal introduction to Stompy Robits.

Same.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That moment when you realize 'Wait if I only shoot his foot off I get ALL HIS poo poo!' is the best moment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

That moment when you realize 'Wait if I only shoot his foot off I get ALL HIS poo poo!' is the best moment.

A lightning bolt raking across a foot... forever. At least until I have such a ridiculous scrap surplus to hop in the Razor and divebomb everything with dual plasma cannons.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dis astranagant posted:

A lightning bolt raking across a foot... forever. At least until I have such a ridiculous scrap surplus to hop in the Razor and divebomb everything with dual plasma cannons.

This chap knows what's best in life!

Seriously, though, I visualize pretty much everything in this LP as Earthsiege fights.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Deserved Requital: Tactical Update 13

“Alright. Take your people and go.” Hauptmann Von Tonder’s voice was firm. Sweat dripped from the tip of his nose as he quietly baked in the Archer’s cockpit. He’d come out better than his men and even still he felt like he’d gone ten rounds with the Solaris champion. The quick, brutal battle had pushed men and machines to their limits, and all the same he felt a twinge of jealousy at how calm the Clan commander sounded about it all.

“But, sir!” Victoria Wähner cut in on the company line. “We’ve got them right where we want them!”

“None of you have any armor left, and our mission is complete. We need to recover our downed pilots. Before Saeder-Krupp has an opportunity to dump some new catastrophe in our laps. I think the enemy commander must feel the same way.” His eyes fell on the sleek v-shaped body of the enemy Battle Cobra. The Clan pilot had fallen silent, but was not maneuvering aggressively—undoubtedly she was defending her decision to her own forces. War was the same everywhere, it seemed.

Jacob’s radio crackled as the Battle Cobra twisted to face his Archer. “We are withdrawing, but this is not over for either of us. Lyran commander, tell me your name: I will face you in battle again and I will defeat you.”

Jacob grinned, not even bothering to zoom in on the Clan pilot. At this distance, at maximum zoom, she could probably count the pores on his face even through the glare off his transplex canopy. “It’s Jacob Von Tonder,” her bravado didn’t impress him. It was just Kurita-esque posturing. “I look forward to trouncing you again.”

“Then I declare Vendetta, Jacob Von Tonder” the Clan pilot turned away. “I, Izdihar Steiner, will be the one to defeat you.” Jacob’s radio fell silent for only a moment.

“Wait,” Victoria interjected. “Did she just say—”

[No Combat]

[n/a]

Player Status:

Ally? Status

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Strict Zell – Clan Cloud Cobra is strictly following their Clan’s interpretation of Zellbrigen.
Buildings – Unless otherwise noted, all buildings are Light CF and level 2
Hidden Units – All player units count as hidden until an enemy unit establishes Line of Sight. Units which have lost ‘hidden’ status do not regain it.

House Rule
House Rule: Minimum Range – Rather than scaling based on distance, the minimum range penalty is fixed at +2

Primary Objectives
- Recover intercepted Clan HPG transmission data from the Saeder-Krupp Interstellar facility (Succeeded)!
- Extract Saeder-Krupp Interstellar personnel (canceled)
- - Outlast or destroy the Black Marauder (Succeeded)!

Secondary Objectives
- Protect the Green Knight (failed)
- - Do not destroy the Black Marauder (failed!)
- Extract if Necessary (0/4)

After-Action Report:
This mission was designed to end on turn 12 or 13 with the players battered to hell but alive, their objectives technically completed, and an overwhelming Clan force still on the field. That, ah—that didn’t happen. The Clans still could have won this, with so little armor in the northern lance and a relatively undamaged assault `Mech in the south, this fight was by no means over. That said—the players succeeded in their primary objectives and the highest ranking surviving Clanner just plain underestimated how good her position was. One pilot unconscious, one pilot not communicating after a head hit, an assault `Mech with unknown internal damage, and a leg that’s practically guaranteed to fall off in the next exchange? Those aren’t good odds. Withdrawing is the logical choice.

Who knows, we might even see her again.

MVP vote time!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another nice bonus for the Lyrans: None of their pilots actually died.

Maybe I'm silly for doing so, but I always keep track of that in these fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zombie Mech for MVP

• Locked thread