Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Does no one else like the Lyrans, other than me?

Also, I don't think I'll ever understand how "More Clans are coming, help me fight them or they'll overwhelm us all" translates to "enjoy taking a chunk out of Donegal, because in 6 months you'll be steamrolled too. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

Does no one else like the Lyrans, other than me?

Also, I don't think I'll ever understand how "More Clans are coming, help me fight them or they'll overwhelm us all" translates to "enjoy taking a chunk out of Donegal, because in 6 months you'll be steamrolled too. "

Clearly DI does. And I like them alongside the Cappies.

To answer your second question, the nobles of the Inner Sphere are brain damaged morons who couldn't see a good idea if it kicked in their door and sat on their lap. The only time they do anything right is when they stumble on it by accident. They're just as retarded as the Clans, but in a different way. They're sure that even if the Lyrans lost, they totally won't because they're THE REAL STRONG FACTION.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I'm guessing 6 was a declaration to the entire inner sphere that the Lyrans were about to be crushed by the clans, so you might as well carve out as much Lyran territory as you can grab while the getting's good.

Nope! It was something else entirely. A nice guess though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or also "my faction will be much better able to resist the clans after we annex 20% of Lyran territory" which is... probably true.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yay! You've probably come up with something more entertaining. :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hmm.

The Lyrans have become the biggest threat, instead of splitting up and hitting everyone*, all the Second Crusade Clans dogpile the LC and destroy it in less than a year?

* = Possibly including the original invading Clans

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm betting the end result of 6 - an announcement to the IS that "hey you know how the Clan force that showed up already basically boned us for years and we're just now finding our feet again? Well like ten times as many dudes are coming to push our poo poo in and we're not going to be able to stop them alone" - would have made all the Lyran local nobility and social generals lose their poo poo and say "then only reason we're letting this nimrod stay in charge is because he's a strong military leader and now even he's saying that won't be enough oh gently caress oh gently caress what do we do" and start going all :derp: and lighting things on fire - and since all the troops that would have kept order have been stripped for the current counterattack, nothing'd stop them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lyrans: "He's telling obvious lies to try and support his own weak policies! We should all launch civil wars at him until one of us pulls off a coup. Then we should probably topple them as well because they'll be weak and not us."
Rest of the inner sphere: "Give them a bit, then we'll clean up in the power vacuum."
Arriving clan leadership: "Cool."
Arriving clan mechwarriors: "Where the gently caress are our good fights? For fucks' sake."

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm betting the end result of 6 - an announcement to the IS that "hey you know how the Clan force that showed up already basically boned us for years and we're just now finding our feet again? Well like ten times as many dudes are coming to push our poo poo in and we're not going to be able to stop them alone" - would have made all the Lyran local nobility and social generals lose their poo poo and say "then only reason we're letting this nimrod stay in charge is because he's a strong military leader and now even he's saying that won't be enough oh gently caress oh gently caress what do we do" and start going all :derp: and lighting things on fire - and since all the troops that would have kept order have been stripped for the current counterattack, nothing'd stop them.

Not really seeing the downside to this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

Not really seeing the downside to this.

Well, yeah, but you're Coffeehitler.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And then Space Coffeehitler steps in during the hard times the Space Germans are going through...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

And then Space Coffeehitler steps in during the hard times the Space Germans are going through...
Stop. Right. There. No one wants go down that conversation path.

Also, what's your faction preference then? Cappies, Ghost Bear, Lyrans?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

My money is on the fact that it reveals to Comstar that the Lyrans have access to some form of communications taps.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

Stop. Right. There. No one wants go down that conversation path.

Also, what's your faction preference then? Cappies, Ghost Bear, Lyrans?

Canon timeline?
Ghost Bears are favorite Clan, Cappies are my dark horse because they're not allowed to have nice things due to being Space Chinese (and I like how ridiculously over the top cartoonishly Evil they are), and Lyrans because they were the story opposition to Victor and they had a fondness for assault mechs.

I am not a complex man.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm a Davion guy because when I was ten and me and my brothers opened that Battledroids box, I ended up liking the sword and sunburst symbol while my brothers picked the dragon and the wolf. Nothing more, nothing less. And all the rest of you Stackpole readin', Hanse lovin', we like Davion because they're the protagonists types can get off my lawn, because I liked the Federated Suns before it was cool. :argh:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

I am not a complex man.
Me neither.

Clans are munchkins, and I refuse to play Clan-Tech (DHS and ER-PPCs are plain BS).

I like the Lyrans because they offer the highest standard of living in the IS, you can have nice things like gaming consoles and vids, and New Kyoto has even better ramen then Luthien.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Clans are munchkins, and I refuse to play Clan-Tech (DHS and ER-PPCs are plain BS).

You're missing out on a lot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

jng2058 posted:

I'm a Davion guy because when I was ten and me and my brothers opened that Battledroids box, I ended up liking the sword and sunburst symbol while my brothers picked the dragon and the wolf. Nothing more, nothing less. And all the rest of you Stackpole readin', Hanse lovin', we like Davion because they're the protagonists types can get off my lawn, because I liked the Federated Suns before it was cool. :argh:

Yeah, I like House Marik mostly because the whole purple eagle symbol was awesome-looking. Then I found out that no one else really liked them (because everyone else in our gaming store was either in love with Steiners because Big Stompy 'Mechs or Kurita because samurai), so I dug in my heels and liked them more just to be different. That was the sum total of my motivations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I liked the Steiners because my favorite mech is the Atlas ( and Atlas II ) and when I used to play TT with my friends we were a Lyran Guards unit. Other than that, I thought the steel gauntlet insignia was badass compared to the rest of the Inner Sphere's iconography.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I like my Clan bullshit with extra cheese. The Society!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

New Kyoto has even better ramen then Luthien.

New Kyoto was settled by actual Japanese people. The Combine became "Japanese" when a huge weeb made everyone dress like samurai and wear kimonos or he would kill them.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Lyrans do have my absolute favorite mech (Verfolger), but overall the DCMS has my favorite mech roster. I am also a huge ComStar fan.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're missing out on a lot.
Yeah I know, especially when I get head capped at range.

Still, I get to claim that I 'fought the good fight'; besides, I prefer zombie 'mechs (XL crit slots in side torsos are also BS).

Please don't put me in a 3025 Centurion for my deployment; pretty please with sugar on top you handsome devil you? :heysexy:

Defiance Industries posted:

New Kyoto was settled by actual Japanese people. The Combine became "Japanese" when a huge weeb made everyone dress like samurai and wear kimonos or he would kill them.
Yeah I know, which is why they have The Best ramen. :munch:

CourValant fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 21, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have no favorites and don't really care about any specific faction. :shrug:

Stompy robit fights are cool

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

(Verfolger)

Oh my god, the artwork for this mech triggers me so bad.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Yeah, I like House Marik mostly because the whole purple eagle symbol was awesome-looking. Then I found out that no one else really liked them (because everyone else in our gaming store was either in love with Steiners because Big Stompy 'Mechs or Kurita because samurai), so I dug in my heels and liked them more just to be different. That was the sum total of my motivations.

An object lesson in the Marik psychopathy.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Everything about canon Battletech is dysfunctional.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Perspective is for losers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AJ_Impy posted:

I like my Clan bullshit with extra cheese. The Society!

Meanwhile I prefer my Clan BS with stuffed crusts. Stuffed crusts full of Timberwolves!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Tarcomp'd pulse lasers and jump jets all day erry day, thank you. I tried out some of the other extra BS stuff like iATM-9s and holy poo poo they are bonkers, but I still prefer pulse lasers. There is charm in the other stuff, though. My improved heat sink huron warrior in thread was fun, and certainly nowhere close to clan BS.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gimme good armor, jump jets and a bucketload of Medium Lasers. No need for all this high tech malarkey.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I'm guessing a combination of convincing all the Lyran nobility that he has no plan to defend them beyond hoping the rest of the IS will help, and openly informing both Comstar and the Clans that he has some way of collecting information outside the Sphere itself.

Whereas the branch we've chosen is likely to produce a new state in time, or, more likely, several new states as bits of the Commonwealth get peeled off or break away.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TildeATH posted:

An object lesson in the Marik psychopathy.

No YOU shut up

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Marik for sure. Not for any particular reason except they are so loosely defined , at least in my mind. And Steiner after that I guess because Katrina was a fun villain. If you were expecting me to pick one of the Clans what with my wanting to see them win here then you would be wrong, other then the Jade Falcons of the Tv series.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FASA/FanPro/CGL's unwillingness to nerf equipment ever has been bad for the game so until they learn to do that, Clantech will be bullshit that ruins the game.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

raverrn posted:

Gimme good armor, jump jets and a bucketload of Medium Lasers. No need for all this high tech malarkey.

You don't need all that armor when you jump 5 (or more) hexes into heavy woods :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

FASA/FanPro/CGL's unwillingness to nerf equipment ever has been bad for the game so until they learn to do that, Clantech will be bullshit that ruins the game.

Alpha Strike fucks the Clans pretty hard, it's great. Not just because XL engines make `Mechs more fragile, or because the Clans don't get a single Brawler lighter than the Timber Wolf...

... but because the Inner Sphere has a piss-easy time stacking initiative bonuses. A couple of lances with a C3 network and an active probe nets an easy +3 or +4 to initiative rolls that the Clans simply can't match, especially if the Inner Sphere brings a Command Lance for an initiative reroll, which is an easy pick for them and a hard sell for a Clan formation which is going to favor other formation types.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's too bad that soft reboot of the base game never came to pass.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xarbala posted:

I can't believe we missed out on that

not emptyquoting

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote

“We have a mutual enemy,” The footage was unsteady, focusing on the speaker’s face even as she set a sunbeam laser pistol atop a desk emblazoned with the planetary emblem of New Syrtis. Angry eyes that seemed to burn with an intensity Protector of the Realm Edward Calderon had never seen in person stared out at him from the depths of the holotank on the TCS Vendetta’s bridge, and gave him something to focus on. It beat staring at the corpse lying on the floor at the woman’s feet.

Flanked on one side by a grim Rebecca Hasek and on the other by a white-robed ComStar acolyte, Marie Davion-St. Claire still looked regal in spite of—or perhaps because of—the laugh lines in the corners of her eyes. She was aging gracefully enough but her hands shook with rage rather than palsy. All things considered, the young Protector thought she was holding her composure quite well. Missives bearing the Primus’s official seal lay on the desk behind her. Undoubtedly mirroring the missives Edward himself had just read.

“Your father’s DropShip accident, my husband’s death,” Marie’s voice quivered with barely-suppressed fury, “my son’s replacement with this—” she lashed out, kicking the corpse she’d executed on camera only moments before, “—twisted mockery of everything my son stood for. All orchestrated by one madman: Justin Xiang. His lust for my husband’s realm has destroyed my family and yours.”

“Protector Calderon,” Marie’s lips curled into a grim scowl, “as the pro tem leader of the Duchy of New Syrtis and with the full agreement of the living head of House Hasek, we hereby request not only a cease-fire between all Duchy and Concordat forces, but a formal alliance between the same. We will surrender, officially. If we must petition to join the Taurian Concordat as a client state, so be it, but I intend to turn the full might of the Duchy against the Capellan Confederation and I will avenge the deaths of my son and husband—and I invite you to join me to avenge your father as well.”

The holotank blurred and went dark as the message’s playback ended. Protector Calderon sat in the flag officer’s chair, the Vendetta’s captain watching him in silence for a long moment as he weighed his options.

“Send to New Syrtis,” Edward’s voice was cold. “We accept the terms of their surrender—and welcome the Duchy into the Taurian Concordat. There will be no required changes to any planetary governments save that they adopt Taurian law where applicable. Marie Davion-St. Claire will continue to manage the Duchy for the duration of this Capellan Crisis or until she chooses to step down.”

His pause was only brief, “We look forward to joining you on New Syrtis to put together a battle plan for a joint counter-attack.”

Operation Nemesis
Stephan Amaris must die. ComStar has leaked the location, layout, defenses, and security codes to the Catherine Humphreys Memorial Staging Area to Clan Snow Raven. Too far behind Republic lines for a frontal assault, Snow Raven High Command has decided to launch a Headhunter mission to decapitate Republic leadership and cripple their primary resupply point.

Line in the Sand
The Clans have launched a seemingly desperate attack on the Republic’s front lines. Rather than withdrawing, the Republic intends to destroy the Clan invaders here and now.

Operation Rabies Shot
Justin Xiang is a rabid dog leading a pack of the same. Backed by ComStar, the combined forces of the Taurian Concordat and Duchy of New Syrtis have launched a massive assault on Capellan-held space.

The Cherenkov Plan
Bolstered by House Cherenkov of the Principality of Regulus, the Duchy of Oriente’s attempt to retake their home planets is backed by more than mere BattleMechs. Acting without Duncan Marik’s knowledge, Thomas Halas has committed a portion of the Principality’s nuclear arsenal to the counterattack. The Duchy of Oriente will either rise a phoenix, or as a cloud of ashes.

Combat Theater Vote:
A) Operation Nemesis
B) Line in the Sand (Alpha Strike mission)
C) Operation Rabies Shot (Alpha Strike mission)
D) The Cherenkov Plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Line in the Sand Killing clanners and trying out alpha strike?

• Locked thread