Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

In my head I'm imagining 'mechs doing jumping jacks, running in place/laps, burpees, etc., in their hex to 'build up' their movement modifier.

In Alpha Strike's case, it's more a matter of a pilot second-guessing himself and loving up. "This is a Spider, I know he's going to jump!" and then firing shots over the Spider's head because he decided to chill for a bit in the woods instead.

"I missed because he's moving fast" turns into "I missed because I out-guessed myself." Which is really believable if you've ever played World of Warships.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda wonder what "Human TRO" does.

And what kind of benefits being a supernerd can bring.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Xarbala posted:

In the Alpha Strike Companion, it lets the unit see a unit's card if it's within 12 inches, not hidden and if the Concealing Data rule's in effect. Phelan has it in his scenario in Combat Manual: Mercs.

What it'll do here? I dunno but I'm excited to find out (actually I'm just super excited to see Alpha Strike rules being used).

E: nvm. Also PTN's way of using it is a cooler implementation than the TT rule.

Cascade Jones fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

You get to see the OpForce's cards.

If the Human TRO dies I'm blanking their armor and structure values. You'll know how much damage you've done but not how much they can take. :haw:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well hot diggity.

Here's hoping Jinx doesn't get jinxed!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Retaking Sirdar Update 1

“Well, I see the Capellans have been busy.”

Corporal Bystrom swung his Scarabus’s hatchet, splitting a tree that might have been in his way if one squinted hard enough. He’d only been with the rebuilt Sirdar militia for three months, but like the rest of the unit he was a Sirdar native who’d turned refugee when the Capellans had invaded. He still wasn’t sure why he’d volunteered—but a `Mech had come free unexpectedly and that wasn’t the sort of opportunity a dispossessed noble could turn down.

He wasn’t the only new pilot in the unit—but for some reason he’d picked up the callsign “Fungi” after Sergeant Borst said he was acting “like a fung.” Whatever that meant. At least he’d come away better than Giltbert, who the company just called “newbie” for lack of anything better. Giltbert was an irritating by-the-book type, but the only thing the book had done so far was loose them Sirdar. A little aggression, Bystrom thought, would carry them a lot farther than standard operating procedure.

“Quiet, Fungi,” Borst’s Javelin turned Bystrom’s way. It held up a hand in an old infantry gesture—something about silence and keeping one’s eyes peeled—Bystrom wasn’t entirely sure. He’d slept through that lecture. “There was always a bridge and a road in this valley—if there’re five now, it just means we’ll have to split up a little more to intercept the enemy scouts. Stick to the plan.”

“Plan, schman,” Bystrom grumbled dismissively. “Just point me at something I can hit with this hatchet.”

[N/A]

[No Combat]

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Forced Withdrawal - `Mechs and Vehicles which suffer more than 50% structure damage will automatically attempt to retreat off the nearest friendly board edge. Units with only 1 point of structure will withdraw if all of their armor is destroyed.

Primary Objectives
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy Scouts (0/8 remaining)
or
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy `Mechs (0/12 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 3, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Plan, schman,” Bystrom grumbled dismissively. “Just point me at something I can hit with this hatchet.”

GOON SPOTTED

e: That heavy cavalry lance is mean as hell, but the rest of the enemy units are much easier pickings.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd like to congratulate Goon Lance on their crushing victory in advance, because that OpFor looks like a joke compared to the brutal stuff they've been dumpstering with significantly worse odds.

My poor, dead Space Chinamen.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Aww, the poor Urbanmechs have to jump just to get any movement mod :3:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
lol sniper urban mechs are gonna gently caress poo poo up, watch.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So this is alpha strike now? Nice, I like alpha strike.

A shadow hawk 2H, the mech I always wanted.

So my shadowhawk is pretty weak on guns, but is capable of doing 1 damage at any range that rolls for a crit if it doesn't move. Since it only has an attack power of 2 at close and medium ranges I'm thinking of having it hang back to harass with its marksman ability.

My initial thoughs are to walk the shadow hawk to 1830 and jump the blackjack to 1928 and have both open up on the urbanmech at 1617. The closer urbanmech has more trees in the way and partial cover, and the one at 1617 has the more threatening gun and less armor anyway. Although that one does have 4 mechs in front of it ready to gun it down, so I may take pot shots at the closer one anyway since likely less will be going towards it.

Edit: I see now that the closer urbanmech has marksman too, so dropping it should be a very big priority.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'd like to congratulate Goon Lance on their crushing victory in advance, because that OpFor looks like a joke compared to the brutal stuff they've been dumpstering with significantly worse odds.

This isn't the entire opforce.

The Support Lance is borrowing the SPAs from a Command Lance that isn't on the field yet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

This isn't the entire opforce.

The Support Lance is borrowing the SPAs from a Command Lance that isn't on the field yet.

This makes more sense, let's see what Cathay The Jungle has in store.

. . . we took these real long walks, and we were always looking for this guy named Charlie . . .

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
I keep trying to square the sprite models with their weapon loadouts but I neither can nor need to. It's messin' me up, mang.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So only a single unit (the maruader), on both the player and opfor side, has any overheat value. Do mechs in alpha strike just run cold most of the time? Also the grasshopper doesn't have an overheat value, it's just blank.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

So only a single unit (the maruader), on both the player and opfor side, has any overheat value. Do mechs in alpha strike just run cold most of the time? Also the grasshopper doesn't have an overheat value, it's just blank.

In order to have an overheat value, you have to have enough weapons to deal more than +5 damage above your heat neutral damage. An overheat value of 2 requires +15 damage, and an overheat value of 3 requires +25.

It's not that overheat values are rare, but most of the `Mechs in play have double heat sinks, which helps them maintain heat neutrality. I wanted to keep overheat to a minimum for players on this run, since it can royally screw you over.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I've run demos of alpha strike at my LGS a few times, it's such a good way to do company level fights and feels like a much more modern system. Still love classic battletech damage and crits though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Skoll, are you going to go into the woods in front of your marauder? If not I'm going to jump my blackjack into them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Skoll, are you going to go into the woods in front of your marauder? If not I'm going to jump my blackjack into them.

I sent my MAD to 1630 and my GHR 2130.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, I think I forgot this in the primer: I will default you to ground movement if you don't tell me you're jumping (Skoll, you're fine, you did this right). The attack penalty while jumping is harsher in Alpha Strike than it is in normal BattleTech to keep "jump everywhere" from being a no-brainer choice.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Okay dudes I'm hunching it up at the northern woods (1505)to get my to hit modifier up as my Humchback has this woodwalking trait. I'll set my other mech a little behind it(1706) and screen the northern lance while making myself as hard to hit as possible. Any advice?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1404/1505 and attempting to blow away the northern Urbie seems good. If both your 'Mechs hit you'll blow it up outright.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Should I try to hit the Urbie with my Warhammer too? In general I'm thinking of heading towards the middle bit via the second bridge from the North. Not offhand sure what else I'll have LOS to yet, though I haven't thought about my moves yet either.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Hey GoonLance,

Thanks for discussing your moves in the thread, makes it much more interesting for us spectators (as opposed to 'hiding' the conversation in the Google Doc).

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
From my experience, the google spreadsheet is a great tool because it puts all our haphazard strategizing in the same place. That made it a lot easier for me to coordinate. I enjoy the peeks behind the curtain, but I'd most want to see goonforce smash faces in. You should be able to track down old spreadsheets from previous missions, and get an in depth look at our lack of teamwork.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

Hey GoonLance,

Thanks for discussing your moves in the thread, makes it much more interesting for us spectators (as opposed to 'hiding' the conversation in the Google Doc).

Docs are to make sure that three people don't try and move to the same hex, there's never really been any conversation in there to miss. (I mean, they've also been linked in the thread when used, too)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CourValant posted:

Hey GoonLance,

right? this is why I did everything in thread. gdoc for confirmation is nice but putting all the discussion there is both boring and doesn't let the peanut gallery help.

or :airquote:help:airquote: depending on your point of view

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

From the mission I was in there were jokes in the Google docs, but only very minor discussion.

Nothing major that is.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 4, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psion posted:

right? this is why I did everything in thread. gdoc for confirmation is nice but putting all the discussion there is both boring and doesn't let the peanut gallery help.

or :airquote:help:airquote: depending on your point of view

actually it would be amazing if people want to take the map and scrawl lines/dicks on it so we can get our vicarious fix of robotactix on

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sebmojo posted:

actually it would be amazing if people want to take the map and scrawl lines/dicks on it so we can get our vicarious fix of robotactix on

This reminds me, whatever happened to that guy who posted commentary between rounds?

I really enjoyed his 'ESPN'ing' the Solaris match.

How long ago was that now?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

There's 100% a collaboration tool for this that I am totally blanking on the name of. We used it to doodle strategies on MWO maps back when there was still a sense that MWO could be good.

e: And yea it always ended up with lots of dongs MSpainted on maps.)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 5, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

roll20

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
There's also iDroo and one more that I'm blanking on.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So where is this google doc

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Orders sent, I'm going to try to destroy the Urbie at 0909.

I don't know where the GoogleDoc is, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I didn't make one for this mission, but I'll copy and paste a template when I get back to work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G4Ytx4Q033PA1QKChAR7BP7YO1mtVJDjFMH3-SLvAnQ/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ugh, I forgot and I'm at work where my book isn't - can you elevation change more than one level at a time (I mean, without faceplanting)?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ugh, I forgot and I'm at work where my book isn't - can you elevation change more than one level at a time (I mean, without faceplanting)?

If alpha strike is like regular battletech, presumably you would need Jump Jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

mekilljoydammit posted:

'Mechs should be able to change up to 2 elevation levels at one time.

• Locked thread