Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

CourValant posted:

This reminds me, whatever happened to that guy who posted commentary between rounds?

I really enjoyed his 'ESPN'ing' the Solaris match.

How long ago was that now?

A bit over five years ago was when I first rolled out the MADDEN, during the mission before Solaris.

It was pretty fun, but it got a little repetitive to do, like I was using the same few jokes over and over again, so I stopped doing 'em. If sufficiently inspired by a particular match I might bust it out again someday. I do keep up with the thread, after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Hey, just wanted to say, really enjoyed your posts.

I thought the repetition was part of the 'homage' to Madden; after all, the man didn't have anything new to say either, he just repeated himself over and over as well.

If you ever do bust it out again, and need a co-anchor, or 'man-on-the-field, just saying!

:ocelot:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Needed to go back to the OP to check and look up some older missions, but I was right, the Sirdar March Militia was the formation that was nuked by the Taurians in the TDS Vendetta in that split map mission that was played way back when. Good to see that they've reformed and are gonna be taking back THEIR HOME PLANET, with the Taurians in support this time since both they and the New Syrtians and their leadership wanna revenge themselves on the Cappies and Justin Xiang specifically.

Didn't expect the "Fungi" nickname of that newbie pilot to come from a literal reading of FNG, but I guess it fits, seeing his personality, though it would also fit the mushroom stereotype of being kept in the dark and fed poo poo until they grow.

Also, did you really name all of the Cappellan lances after FPS team shooter vidya games (Ghost Recon, Overwatch, and Counterstrike)? Sure, they're also relevant military terms describing their roles, but it's too much of a coincidence to not be a deliberate reference coming from a self described nerd like you, PTN (as you mentioned yourself during the last mission involving the Sirdar Militia when I brought up the names of a pair of the pilots and their rides being a Full Metal Panic reference). If that's the case, then the Cappellan Command lance you referenced which has yet to show up probably has an additional appellation as their designation to fit the pattern.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hope the lance that has the good stuff in it is DOOM lance. :getin:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Zaodai posted:

I hope the Cappie-Society unleash some Unreal tech.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Though PTN said it was a Command lance, so that isn't all that likely unless there's another lance the Cappies are holding in reserve here, and the mission objectives don't really support that happening either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Atlas is a command mech. A command lance could have good stuff in it. :saddowns:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't get zapped by Chex Quest Lance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

I thought the repetition was part of the 'homage' to Madden; after all, the man didn't have anything new to say either, he just repeated himself over and over as well.

If you ever do bust it out again, and need a co-anchor, or 'man-on-the-field, just saying!

What he needs is a sponsor. Someone who can remind him to plug a wide array of wonderful products at regular intervals.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

CourValant posted:

Thanks. And yeah, Madden used, abused, and invented a lot of cliches, though sometimes there was some wisdom in there. But that was all him, just straight out of his head and to his mouth. I kept wanting to do more with it but being unable to. Still...it could happen.

Defiance Industries posted:

What he needs is a sponsor. Someone who can remind him to plug a wide array of wonderful products at regular intervals.

I like where your head is at. That's, you know, that's the kind of quick thinking under pressure you need to lead a brand in the National Football League.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that orders are due tonight.

I've had to call up an alternate, please watch your messages.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just a reminder that orders are due tonight.

I've had to call up an alternate, please watch your messages.

Hey Poptarts! Did my orders arrive successfully? Just checking so I can fix it if they didn't.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got 'em, we're good.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Sent orders, but just realized the Javelin can possibly fire from 2323 or 2222 at the Urbanmech in 1617, which is within 12 hexes.

Can I send amended orders, or am I locked in?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fraction Jackson posted:

A bit over five years ago

:eyepop:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Realbarrow posted:

Sent orders, but just realized the Javelin can possibly fire from 2323 or 2222 at the Urbanmech in 1617, which is within 12 hexes.

Can I send amended orders, or am I locked in?
You can send a second set. Just send the full changed set of orders, not just whatever changes you made.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Ardlen posted:

You can send a second set. Just send the full changed set of orders, not just whatever changes you made.

Alright, done. All is now in order. Time to make use of the Javelin's medium range specialty and the Scarabus' aptitude for zooming around axing things.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Retaking Sirdar Update 2

“Hey, someone left some dumpsters sitting out in the jungle.”

Sgt. Yan Gintama frowned. Save for his wheat-colored skin, he didn’t look particularly Japanese. His family had been among a group of DCMS soldiers who’d outright defected after the Kentares Massacre. They’d moved as far from the Combine border as they could—only to find more anti-asian sentiment waiting for them on Sirdar. They’d fought long and hard to make a place for themselves, and his newly-upgraded Spider had been in the family since before they’d left the Draconis Combine. The machine guns that had been mounted for “anti-infantry” work had been stripped out and destroyed by his grandmother—she’d taken great pains to revert the machine back to its original specifications, to avoid the stigma the Draconis Combine’s Spider SDR-5Ks had earned participating in the massacre. He hoped the chair she’d made from the scrap was still waiting at his family home.

It was a lesson, she’d said: that war should only be used for useful ends and fighting should be avoided wherever possible. To that end Yan always tried to will his Spider to move with the maximum aggression, leaning forward and keeping the weapons pointed at his chosen target no matter how he or his target chose to move. He’d been told that his focus was unnerving, even in the regiment’s simulator exercises. He hoped that was actually true. Any little edge meant life or death in a `Mech like the Spider.

“I don’t see any dumpsters,” Yan’s careful gaze swept the jungle. He wouldn’t have put it past the Capellan Confederation to hide booby traps in the most innocuous of items. “Where are they? Behind the Urbanmechs?”

“I was talking about the—” Corporal Bystrom began, cutting himself off with a disgusted cough. Gin watched the young recruit take a swing at the nearest Urbanmech, staving in its armor with the Scarabus’s hatchet and filling the hole with laser-fire. The Urbanmech’s small laser fell limp and useless to the jungle floor.

“Nevermind,” Bystrom sighed. “You’re no fun, Gin.”

“Can it, Fungi,” Lt. Jinks sounded amused. “Focus on the fight.”

“You don’t can gin, you bottle it,” was Bystrom’s instant retort. “Or—wait, Lieutenant, did you just make an UrbanMech joke?”

Movement Phase
Hunchback (Player)
- Facing orders invalid (please choose an adjacent hex to determine facing, 1406 is not adjacent to 1505)

Wolfhound (Player)
- Attempts to enter hex 1819: insufficient MP (needs 7, has 6)!

Spider (Player)
- Attempts to demoralize Urbanmech UM-R60L

Urbanmech UM-R60L
- Attempts to resist becoming demoralized: rolled 4, fails! Movement Halved, +1 To-Hit vs. Spider

Shooting Phase
Hunchback (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(B) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 5, miss!

Watchman (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(B) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 3 woods + 1 partial cover + 2 jumped = 12): rolled 4, miss!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(A) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 7, miss!

Blackjack (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(A) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 1 woods + 2 jumped = 9): rolled 8, miss!

Warhammer (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(B) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 3 woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 8, miss!

Orion (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!

Marauder (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(A) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 1 woods + 2 jumped - 1 jumping jack = 8): rolled 9, hit! 4 damage sustained! 1 Crit!

Grasshopper (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R63(A) (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 3 woods + 1 partial cover + 2 jumped = 12): rolled 7, miss!

“Fire” Javelin (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R60L (4 skill + 0 TMM + 0 Medium Range Master + 2 woods + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 6, miss!

Scarabus (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R60L (4 skill + 0 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 5, miss!

Wolfhound (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R60L (4 skill + 0 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 7, miss!

Spider (Player)
- Attacks Urbanmech UM-R60L (4 skill + 0 TMM + 0 range + 2 woods + 1 partial cover + 2 jumped = 9): rolled 3, miss!

Snake
- No valid targets!

Urbanmech UM-R63(A)
- Attacks Shadow Hawk (4 skill + 2 TMM + 2 range + 1 woods - 1 sandblaster = 8): rolled 6, miss!

Urbanmech UM-R63(B)
- Attacks Hunchback (Marksman) (4 skill + 1 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!

Urbanmech UM-R60L
- Attacks Scarabus (4 skill + 4 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!

End Phase:
Urbanmech UM-R63(A)
- Critical chance: rolled 3, Engine Hit!

Physical Combat Phase:
Scarabus
- Attacks UM-R60L in Melee (4 skill + 0 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 8, hit! 3 damage sustained! 1 Crit!

Urbanmech UM-R60L
- Attacks Scarabus in Melee (4 skill + 4 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods = 9): rolled 10, hit! 1 damage sustained!

End Phase:
Urbanmech UM-R60L
- Critical chance: rolled 6, Weapon Hit!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Forced Withdrawal - `Mechs and Vehicles which suffer more than 50% structure damage will automatically attempt to retreat off the nearest friendly board edge. Units with only 1 point of structure will withdraw if all of their armor is destroyed.

Primary Objectives
Primary Objectives
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy Scouts (0/8 remaining)
or
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy `Mechs (0/12 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PTN's note: I know this is going to feel strange, but this is exactly the sort of turn 1 I was expecting. To-hit bonuses are few and far between in Alpha Strike, so finding ways to maximize your chance to hit is the name of the game. It's one of the reasons why fast light `Mechs with proper support can still be quite competitive with assault `Mechs.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 8, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dumpsters? Oh man, I wish. Dumpsters are top of the line. These are just Trash-Co waste disposal units. :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Dumpsters? Oh man, I wish. Dumpsters are top of the line. These are just Trash-Co waste disposal units. :saddowns:

None of them are in Forced Withdrawal which means the players have to keep shooting them when they might prefer to shoot better things. The Urbanmechs are Doing Their Jobs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

None of them are in Forced Withdrawal which means the players have to keep shooting them when they might prefer to shoot better things. The Urbanmechs are Doing Their Jobs.

I'm not actually worried (more than I was before mission start). It was just a Simpsons reference. :ssh:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Just noticed, is the Forced Withdrawl icon a crying Atlas with a white flag behind it?

Also, I think you forgot to update the enemy status cards for the damage the Urbanmechs took, or uploaded the previous ones by mistake, unless you aren't updating them this mission because of sensor futziness or some Alpha Strike thing. There is a Human TRO on the field after all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's quite the hornet's nest the Goons have stirred up! You'd best hope they fan out, if the bulk of them commit to storming the closest bridge with a couple lighter mechs running interference on the rest that could be pretty overwhelming. It's hard to contain breakouts without a numerical advantage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait a second, all the enemy pilots are loving FPS pros! Oh poo poo!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Just noticed, is the Forced Withdrawl icon a crying Atlas with a white flag behind it?

Yes it is.

quote:

or uploaded the previous ones by mistake

It was this. It's fixed now, good catch!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I don't think my stuff will be able to have LOS on the urbanmech in 0920 because of all the woods, unless someone sees a spot my blackjack can jump to that would have LOS.

Thinking of having the blackjack jump to 1227 and the shadow hawk stay put, both of them engaging the snake. Shadowhawk trying for a marskman shot.

Edit: Actually if the blackjack moves to one of the level 1 hexes around it, I can see over some of those woods. It'll still be a tough shot but that snake has a 3 TMM.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 8, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was this. It's fixed now, good catch!

Happy to help.

Artificer posted:

Wait a second, all the enemy pilots are loving FPS pros! Oh poo poo!

Mentioned this at the top of the page before the update. Anyway, it looks like only the Crusader pilot can be considered something of a pro skill-wise, every other pilot with the exception of the two Skulker tank crews should be average, assuming 4 is the skill level of your run of the mill Inner Sphere mech jockey with some experience under their belt. That was the average Gunnery skill of an IS pilot under the regular BattleTech rules, right? Skulker tank crews are below average, and it doesn't look like it's because of a tank crew skill degradation, seeing as how the Pegasus hover tank crews are still skill 4.

Speaking of which, the Cappellan Command Lance has shown up, and they're designated Rainbow-4. Guess you couldn't go whole hog on the Rainbow 6 reference, since there's only 4 mechs in a lance and not 6, but it would still work since it's a Command Lance, and under NATO radio protocol, the highest ranking officer in charge of a formation gets the designation 6, eg John Clark in the Rainbow 6 example as head honcho of Rainbow. If the Cappellan company was called Rainbow, Rainbow 6 would be a perfectly good way to refer to the Cyclops there as unit commander.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I was saying that every OpFor lance name is a game reference.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

I know, which is why I said I mentioned the same thing at the top of the page before the update.

Then I ran with the pro thing a bit too far, which might've confused my point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

And the player lances are all dances.

It's an MXC challenge, Game Developers vs. Dancing with the Stars. Except not really.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Goons got 2 hits out of an average of ca 4.

The enemy got 2 out of ca 2.5

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Here comes the enemy pain train.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Goons got 2 hits out of an average of ca 4.

The enemy got 2 out of ca 2.5

And..?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Battletech happens.

Battletech is supposed to happen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Part of me worries that the all or nothing nature of this system is going to reduce the opportunities for Battletech to happen but I'm sure it'll find a way.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN's note: I know this is going to feel strange, but this is exactly the sort of turn 1 I was expecting. To-hit bonuses are few and far between in Alpha Strike, so finding ways to maximize your chance to hit is the name of the game. It's one of the reasons why fast light `Mechs with proper support can still be quite competitive with assault `Mechs.

One of the easier ways to get a to-hit bonus is Standing still - basically, if you don't change your position, and you forgo your TMM, and you get an -1 to your own shooting target number.
(Urbanmech - "Yay!")

Also, Regarding Physical Combat Phase differing from shooting phase- it's a house rule, I presume? (Speaking of melee - alpha strike noted the difference between one inch distance, 2 inches, and base to base contanct - how is the ruling with hexes on the matter?)

And last, because it's a total nitpick, but - Grasshopper GHR-5N got 1 point of damage at long. It's the default 5H that got 0*.

(Hi!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gun Jam posted:

One of the easier ways to get a to-hit bonus is Standing still - basically, if you don't change your position, and you forgo your TMM, and you get an -1 to your own shooting target number.
(Urbanmech - "Yay!")

Also, Regarding Physical Combat Phase differing from shooting phase- it's a house rule, I presume?

Probably just me loving things up. I've only played two three RL games and I'm the only one who owns the books. We've had all of one melee attack in a real game so I just automatically defaulted to BattleTech phases. That's kinda why I wanted to play this out, because I knew people would catch the things I've missed.

quote:

Speaking of melee - alpha strike noted the difference between one inch distance, 2 inches, and base to base contanct - how is the ruling with hexes on the matter?)

Hexes work exactly like inches, except you divide the inch value by 2 to find the hex value. It's impossible not to be in b2b when you're 1 hex away though.

quote:

And last, because it's a total nitpick, but - Grasshopper GHR-5N got 1 point of damage at long. It's the default 5H that got 0*.

(Hi!)

That it does, the GHR-5N is the ENE variant. I'll have to double check, I might've pulled the wrong card off the MUL

(Hello)

dis astranagant posted:

Part of me worries that the all or nothing nature of this system is going to reduce the opportunities for Battletech to happen but I'm sure it'll find a way.

If it plays out the way it has in my RL games, every `Mech that gets sent into forced withdrawal will eat 2-3 movement crits and have to inch off the board one hex at a time.

Hopper can be a surprisingly useful SPA if Forced Withdrawal is in effect and you're trying to make a campaign of it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 8, 2017

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Hey fellow Goonwarriors I'm going to keep working the riverline shooting at the urbie at 0909. Is that good for you? I was thinking of crossing the river next turn and get short range with that Lao-Hu

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Please do a rundown on what the heck is happening?

All the abbreviations? ENE? ECM?

What do they say and what do they do?

How did the urbanmech become demoralized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Affi posted:

Please do a rundown on what the heck is happening?

All the abbreviations? ENE? ECM?

What do they say and what do they do?

How did the urbanmech become demoralized?

"ENE" was discussed earlier, it means the 'mech ignores ammo explosions. "ECM" does ecm things, fucks with guided weapons, screws C3 etc. And finally, the demoralizer skill.

• Locked thread