Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

I always did a little cleanup anyway (because sometimes the old linearts had rare very dark blue pixels rather than black and because my preferred shading doesn't always match MegaMek's). It's unfortunate that I've got to do this for every sprite, but it just means the linework gets to look very bright and colorful while I clean it up.

Holy poo poo TRONMech is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

vorebane posted:

Titans of Steel sounds neat, and is apparently freeware.

Those weapon changes seem to give weapons actually viable niches, which is great, I apparently haven't got the Battletech chops to imagine how they'd play out though. It does seem to be yet another reason canon Battletech should stop everything and start reading this thread, though.

The AC/5 change feels like something that would end with hospitalization and jail time at the table given the right map to abuse it. Or if the Lyrans suddenly start fielding the Warrior H-7A chopper in large numbers (You can buy a battalion of them for the price of 2 assault mechs, though I guess you'd have to adjust their bv up for the new gun).

Should be fun to watch. I doubt PTN's gonna field anything boating them too hard.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 29, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Possible Standard AC suggestion: roll on a cluster table for smaller calibers, and the result is the size of the single hit. AC/2 rolls on the 5 table, AC/5 on the 10 table. Ultras still do the aero thing, where you x1.5 damage then apply. AC/2 ends up averaging 3 damage, AC/5 averages 6. For real shits and grins, add MOS on the attack to the cluster roll as a bonus.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

I always did a little cleanup anyway (because sometimes the old linearts had rare very dark blue pixels rather than black and because my preferred shading doesn't always match MegaMek's). It's unfortunate that I've got to do this for every sprite, but it just means the linework gets to look very bright and colorful while I clean it up.

Want to drive this one as is!!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It just has a bunch of laser heat sinks, it's fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I see PTN is rebalancing the SR4 dubstep gun as well as all the traditional BT weapons

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

I see PTN is rebalancing the SR4 dubstep gun as well as all the traditional BT weapons

Thanks to that I've started using Vaporwave colors.

This is now exactly how I picture Laser Heat Sinks working.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 29, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thanks to that I've started using Vaporwave colors.

This is now exactly how I picture Laser Heat Sinks working.

PTN when my name comes up again on the pilot list please put me in a Vaporwave TRONMech plzkthx

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I love the way this conversation is going. Anyone want to set that to the original music?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Battletech - Epilepsy Edition!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

PTN when my name comes up again on the pilot list please put me in a Vaporwave TRONMech plzkthx

Signed, seconded, etc

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

[madden]
"Now, now look, sometimes you have to let the quarterback use his arm and make plays down the field. And this guy, he's really got a cannon. If you want to, uh, to keep the defense honest you need that in your offense. That'll put points on the scoreboard for you."
[/madden]

:love::love::love:

This mission is gonna be great!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Psion posted:

When Activision lost the battletech license I was disappointed but at least we got battlezone and the rave gun as a result.

And eventually the amazing Mechwarrior 3.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's probably some way to split the gradient off with aggressive abuse of edge detect algorithms. But you'd need someone who knows their poo poo to explain how.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chronojam posted:

And eventually the amazing Mechwarrior 3.

I could listen to MFB guy all day long :allears:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Getting that drat game to run on Win10 was a pain in the rear end, but worth it for the dialogue alone.

It helps as well that this game comes closest for me to how I imagine Mech combat should be (especially the weapons rendering).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

Both a great voice AND the greatest tech the galaxy will ever know.

You could be coming out of a tunnel into an ambush and he'd still find time to replace all your armor, swap out the engine for an entirely different one, swap the structure to Clan Endo-Steel and trade out all your weapons.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

wiegieman posted:

"Ejecting!"
"Aaaaaaand right into the lava. He's not coming back"

Once I get my HDD replaced, first on the agenda is getting MW3 back on and get an LP of that poo poo underway.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was really hoping I'd have the update done today, but let me share what I've been struggling with. I downloaded the latest version of MegaMek which replaced all the nice, clean `Mech TGAs with... this.

VVV A JagerMech. Also a nightmare to clean up into something I can use.

A 15-20 minute sprite coloring job has turned into an hour+ clean-up process.

If you are using the latest version of megamek, the old sprites should still be in the download. They are all buried under the "unused folder".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How big of a pain in the rear end is it to run MW3 these days? I didn't have a box that could run it back in the day and I could use something to scratch that itch besides MW4 Mercs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It took me a while to realize that the Jagermech was supposed to look like a knockoff Rifleman.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Xarbala posted:

It took me a while to realize that the Jagermech was supposed to look like a knockoff Rifleman.

I think the body shape hurts with that. They both have the over/under arm cannons and the radar dish, but the RFL's body is kind of blocky even in its Project Phoenix form, and the Jager's torso looks about as much like a trash can as the Urbie and Imp do.

edit: on reflection, that's actually perfect, even if it makes it hard to notice how similar they are otherwise.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 30, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think the body shape hurts with that. They both have the over/under arm cannons and the radar dish, but the RFL's body is kind of blocky even in its Project Phoenix form, and the Jager's torso looks about as much like a trash can as the Urbie and Imp do.

edit: on reflection, that's actually perfect, even if it makes it hard to notice how similar they are otherwise.

That's exactly why it took me so long to see it. I think someone described it as "a garbage Rifleman" and I imagined the phrase literally and then suddenly everything clicked into place.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

How big of a pain in the rear end is it to run MW3 these days? I didn't have a box that could run it back in the day and I could use something to scratch that itch besides MW4 Mercs.

After multiple failures trying to figure things out on my own, I was able to get it to work using these instructions.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
^^^ Seconding that, it got MW3 working for me as well.

It's a bit of an effort not to just take a mech with 6-8 machineguns to instantly saw off enemy legs though, along with some pulse lasers for non mech targets.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

^^^ Seconding that, it got MW3 working for me as well.

It's a bit of an effort not to just take a mech with 6-8 machineguns to instantly saw off enemy legs though, along with some pulse lasers for non mech targets.

I ran a Devastator build for that purpose, myself.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xarbala posted:

Look at the Rakshasa next, literally a discount Timberwolf.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Look at the Rakshasa next, literally a discount Timberwolf.

More like cargo cult Timberwolf

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a BadCat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm loving these completely accurate descriptions.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

More like cargo cult Timberwolf

The -2A is still real good even if it's a knockoff.

Actually the -1A and -1B are fine too, at least for their BV.

Even the knockoff Timber Wolf is good. That's how good the Timber Wolf is, even the imitations are still great.

Also the name even admits it. It's an imitation, a copycat, a shape changer. It's still good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

The -2A is still real good even if it's a knockoff.

Actually the -1A and -1B are fine too, at least for their BV.

Even the knockoff Timber Wolf is good. That's how good the Timber Wolf is, even the imitations are still great.

Also the name even admits it. It's an imitation, a copycat, a shape changer. It's still good.

I know it's good but it's also some illiterate fedrat hoping that if he makes a good enough copy the cargo will come back, which is just hilarious. The 2 snubbies, 2 mml7s, 2 mlas one looks like fun, just to round out all the name drops.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I know it's good but it's also some illiterate fedrat hoping that if he makes a good enough copy the cargo will come back, which is just hilarious. The 2 snubbies, 2 mml7s, 2 mlas one looks like fun, just to round out all the name drops.

That one is probably the best, and actually the most unique/least cargo-cult-ish. Mostly because MMLs and snubs are both amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

That one is probably the best, and actually the most unique/least cargo-cult-ish. Mostly because MMLs and snubs are both amazing.

It's pretty close to a Timberwolf A if you turn your head and squint a little. That and still being a missile rack on each shoulder with big pew pew and little pew pew in each arm like the Prime. Good loving luck visually distinguishing any of the -1s.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 1, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

It's pretty close to a Timberwolf A if you turn your head and squint a little. That and still being a missile rack on each shoulder with big pew pew and little pew pew in each arm like the Prime.

In a basic way it's the same design philosophy, but it leans on tech that doesn't exactly have Clan versions. Snubs don't really have a Clan analogue (outside of cLPLs which are just dumb anyway), and even if you equate MMLs to ATMs (or SSRM-6s if we are looking at the TW-A), there are certain ways outside of Society BS that MMLs can do some really special and bullshit things. Being able to use any LRM/SRM special ammo opens a lot of doors. More specifically: being able to us Infernos and Thunder-Aug on the same platform is not to be sneezed at.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite obvious knockoff is the Sunder, not because it's good (it's usually not) but because nothing makes fun of the Clan gunboxes quite so well as an actual box with legs with some guns glued to it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The only way to make it even better was if the legs were VERY OBVIOUSLY traced from a Warhammer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
“Thirty seconds out.”

Hanse Davion didn’t need the warning. A faint, almost giddy excitement filled him. He was about to set down on Luthien, the Black Pearl. He’d always dreamed of seizing the world from the Draconis Combine, but it had always been well beyond his reach. Even with the full backing of the Lyran Commonwealth Hanse doubted he could’ve made serious inroads to Luthien, the world was simply too important to the Combine, and too well defended.

The Clans had thrown a wrench in the gears, disrupting all of Hanse’s machinations with a thorough finality that had left him more than a little lost. Perhaps he was just growing philosophical in his old age, he knew Ian would have been far more decisive. Ian had been born to rule, while Hanse’s reign had always felt awkward. Now he was the steward of not one realm but two. The threat the Draconis Combine had posed to the Federated Suns was no more. The question that plagued him now was an obvious one: could the Draconis Suns last? It was a question he couldn’t answer. Even with the cooperation of all of the nobles of both realms—which was neither certain nor likely to last—the cultures and attitudes of the peoples of both realms were mutually alien.

Luthien was the answer. Hanse would either forge the disparate elements together, or the inevitability of the Draconis Suns’ dissolution would be made clear. He would do all he could, but even dozens of brilliant minds working in concert would be daunted by the task he’d chosen to attempt almost singlehandedly.

“Ten seconds,” the Leopard-class DropShip beneath his BattleMaster’s feet rocked. The Leopard was small, but remained the premier combat DropShip in the Inner Sphere. Compared to other vessels, the Leopard was horrendously inefficient. Other ships could carry more `Mechs into battle, or could carry enough cargo to pay themselves off. The Leopard carried a mere four `Mechs, and a privately owned one would never break even. In terms of getting troops deployed quickly, however, the Leopard was unsurpassed. Three Leopards could deploy a company in under a minute, a task that took a typical Union-class vessel closer to thirty.

“We’re taking light ground fire,” the crew reported. “Minimal damage. Dropzone in five, four—”

Hanse tensed. Union-class ships like the Isoroku’s Furutaka were the life’s blood of the Inner Sphere. But they were big targets, and easily shot down when transitioning into a planet’s atmosphere. The Furutaka had taken a direct hit and tumbled off its thrust column in the first minutes of the invasion. The captain had recovered and set it down relatively softly on Konpei Island, the smallest of the artificial islands that made up Luthien Armor Works’ offshore facilities. Isoroku had come through miraculously unscathed, along with the bulk of his command lance, but reported most of the Third Sword of Light’s command company was either trapped inside the Furutaka or too damaged to deploy. They’d been in a stable position an hour ago—until the Hell’s Horses diverted one of their own DropShips to the island to root them out.

Hanse had the forces to spare, but there was a certain amount of symbolism behind riding to the rescue personally, so he’d taken on the task himself. His unit commanders knew their business, and Subhash Indrahar could be trusted to manage the invasion’s overall strategy. Playing cavalry would at least save Hanse from a little boredom—and he had to admit, he was eager to face the forces who’d defeated his greatest foes directly.

The Map

3rd Sword of Light

Davion Assault Guards

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (0/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Expected Resistance
- At least one Company of Clan Hell’s Horses BattleMechs and Vehicles

Pilot List
Jew it to it!
CourValant
Yakumo
Kickass Harpsichord
Gun Jam
KnoxZone
Mukaikubo

Alternates
Capskye
W.T. Fits
Mary Annette
A good poster

PTN’s note: I’m sorry for the long delay getting this out. It’s been a bit of a lovely week and I managed to hurt myself. The OpForce is finalized but I haven’t even finished all of their sprites yet.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm just imagining the hilarity that would ensue if SD had been active and assigned to play Hanse.

And the poo poo he would have taken if he got Hanse headcapped.

• Locked thread