Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, as fun as this derailment has been, I'm afraid I need to ask you to find an appropriate place for it; since the Great Houses in Battletech don't have enough nuclear weapons left to glass a single planet, much less the 800+ worlds that make up the Inner Sphere.

Yeah and since a Few Ship class heavy PPCs from orbit can do the same thing, Who needs nukes :v: UIf poptarts would show the ship side of this game, it would make this universe seem a whole lot more crazy... maybe he will i'm not going out on the hull to jump over to the other ship, no sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Battles in a 0-atmosphere environment are a nightmare, incidentally. 'Mechs are mostly filled with air (like balloons) and don't react well to hard vacuum or water infiltration.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, as fun as this derailment has been, I'm afraid I need to ask you to find an appropriate place for it; since the Great Houses in Battletech don't have enough nuclear weapons left to glass a single planet, much less the 800+ worlds that make up the Inner Sphere.

The Clans still have a few. Much to the chagrin of Clan Snow Raven. =P

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Battles in a 0-atmosphere environment are a nightmare, incidentally. 'Mechs are mostly filled with air (like balloons) and don't react well to hard vacuum or water infiltration.

Yikes, I never thought of that. How do they shed heat!?

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Why would you pressurize anywhere but the cockpit on a land vehicle? In fact, why even that much? It'd make joints a bitch. Silly Inner Sphere...

e: Are there low-grav penalties too?

Dux Supremus fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

Same cooling system that the mechs use to normally shed heat. They have specific rules for such, but like poptarts said, it is a nightmare to do it and when they do it is usually not without deaths just by attempting.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dux Supremus posted:

Why would you pressurize anywhere but the cockpit on a land vehicle? In fact, why even that much? It'd make joints a bitch. Silly Inner Sphere...

High gravity reduces your movement speed.

Low gravity increases it, but with the caveat that running faster than your machine is designed to run can gently caress it up. It's not a problem if you've got, say, a 5/8 machine that now moves 6/9. OTOH, in an environment where your 3/5 Banshee-S runs att that 6/9 clip, you are likely to blow out a knee or snap a leg off.

There's rules for basically any kind of environmental combat. Vacuum, low-g, high-g, hot worlds, cold worlds, night fighting, cave fighting, vacuum cave fighting in low-g...

Anyway, one thing that's worth noting about Mechs being sealed up is that it renders them immune to chemical and biological weapon deployment as long as they stay buttoned up. This isn't such a thing now, but the SLDF practiced total warfare where they used that poo poo as a force modifier, and the Houses in the first two Succession Wars followed their lead.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

May I make a suggestion, PoptartsNinja?

Adding lines and arrows, showing how the units have moved, would make things much clearer on the map, I think. The map would also appear less static, in my opinion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Dux Supremus posted:

I think it was Mechwarrior 2 or 3 that had a completely underwater mission for Clan Ghost Bear.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Very effectively, in the case of being in water. Standing your mech in a Depth 1 lake or river is an excellent way to improve your heat efficiency and pump out more Large Lasers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I meant in vacuum, you silly-billy. Any heat-exchange system designed to work in a medium won't make much sense for vacuum, and vice-versa.

You know I assume that none of these things take into account the very heavy modifications you would need to do anything effectively. Which is too bad, because that could have made for a cool expansion! Mechs fitted with giant wing-like radiator panels for fighting in space, supercavitating torpedo launchers, areas where you could essentially fly by leaping through a microgravity environment or manipulating buoyancy modules. Would be cool stuff, but you'd have to give up the convenient convention of just pretending that everything still functions in extreme environments (especially for weapons underwater.) Really too bad; we could've had 80mm autocannons firing supercavitating gyrojets.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weapons underwater either don't function at all (ACs, Gauss, missiles) or work at like 1/4 normal ranges (lasers). Hence why there are LRTs and SRTs. Torpedo, rather than missile. They need specific launchers so I always forget they exist.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Axe-man posted:

Yeah and since a Few Ship class heavy PPCs from orbit can do the same thing, Who needs nukes :v: UIf poptarts would show the ship side of this game, it would make this universe seem a whole lot more crazy... maybe he will i'm not going out on the hull to jump over to the other ship, no sir

I don't know about that, but something that might be fun later is a single mission where we are flying top cover for a Mech battle, all out dogfight/ground attack for an aerotech squadron. It's also probably the only way we could really 'beat' the Clans until Comstar begins putting out. Would also be fun to see people struggling with some of the wonkier Aerotech rules.

This has nothing to do with my ability to quote entire scenes of Top Gun from memory.

Don't you judge me

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, either Tempest_56 doesn't have forum PMs, or isn't around; so KnoxZone is now our Griffen pilot. Since he may be away for the weekend, Tempest_56 will be given another chance in the next scenario. KnoxZone, expect a Forum PM in the next... minute or so.

Bog and blunder. Actually, that would be Verizon deciding that this weekend I didn't really need to have a connection - I've been fighting with them since Saturday noon-ish to get back on. My apologies for the delay, and I'll drop to the back of the queue like a good boy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

This has nothing to do with my ability to quote entire scenes of Top Gun from memory.

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

They're all volleyball scenes, aren't they?

By the way, as this thing heats up I hope to God we get some crazy commanders/pilots and it's not all "well, 7 hexes is the perfect distance for my weapons systems". This LP needs personality, and as such I propose that one of us is a troubled Mechwarrior, who's got no place left to go. Another is a troubled Mechwarrior who got his co-pilot killed and really loves volleyball. Another is a troubled Mechwarrior whose dad was killed during a routine mission in the Taurian Concordat. And another Mechwarrior who spent much of the last decade in a Steiner prison camp, where he constantly outwitted the fat, foolish Steiner POW camp warden.

Okay, maybe not that much personality, but let's make sure it's not just machines driving machines.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Longinus00 posted:

Vehicles aren't in there but the gist of vehicles is that lots of their hit location roll results can do some form of critical damage to them. It's an artificial limitation put in to make sure the focus is on mech combat.
I skipped the page with the opfor in it, sorry. It's still got pretty much everything most people will need to run a mech though.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's 'coz the Wobbies used all the ones that Katherine Steiner-Davion didn't.....

Of course this was all 3060 onwards.

Dux Supremus posted:

There are rules for everything. The most complex thing we ever calculated the target number for in my group was using a mech to spot for artillery AND orbital bombardment while standing waist-deep in a pool of lava on the deck of an aircraft carrier in heavy storm seas during a sandstorm and a rain of frogs.

Also, guys, stop worrying about the J. Edgar. It's not a Saladin, you don't have to treat it like one.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 24, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

There are rules for everything. The most complex thing we ever calculated the target number for in my group was using a mech to spot for artillery AND orbital bombardment while standing waist-deep in a pool of lava on the deck of an aircraft carrier in heavy storm seas during a sandstorm and a rain of frogs.

Did he hit?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^^ Probably on a 12.

Incidentally, someone scored a lucky (rolled boxcars) turret critical on one of the J. Edgars. We'll see what happens. :D

Tempest_56 posted:

Bog and blunder. Actually, that would be Verizon deciding that this weekend I didn't really need to have a connection - I've been fighting with them since Saturday noon-ish to get back on. My apologies for the delay, and I'll drop to the back of the queue like a good boy.

Nah, you'll get a shot in the next mission. I'm not a total rear end in a top hat and I'd like to see it that people who go 'fallow' without ever taking a turn aren't completely hosed. It's the ones who go silent in the middle of their session I'm trying to "punish".

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 24, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

2. Why is anyone using mechs anyway?

This is an interesting question and one I've thought about entirely too much.

When you consider warfare in 3025, the major problem is actually getting troops to fighting distance of each other. As in, on the same planet. You'll have to transport everything you need with you. I'd guess someone decided that maximizing firepower per available warrior was essential for operations to have any kind of hope.

On the other hand, once you've gotten troops to target system you have amazing strategic mobility. Way above what anyone in the history has ever had. Want to deploy your whole army on the other side of the world? Sure, no big deal. Takes an hour, less if you don't have to pick anyone up. Deployment can be done via drop pods, meaning you have 100-ton airborne rangers.

Most of the known universe is literal backwater with maybe one big city per planet. Often less, because why bother settling a planet that has nothing barring one unobtainium mine? You can be said to effectively control the planet when you control that one city, which means you don't need armies of millions to conquer a planet. A well-placed strike team of four will do just nicely. Most of the planets aren't even that loyal, because who cares what lord or other rules this week? You pay taxes like you always did and keep on living.

As intergalactic civilization began to crumble, the mechs became a status symbol. Sort of why tinpot dictators like to build an air force. Whether it was actually the effective route to take is up to debate. Once you dismantle most of the traditional army as either useless or potentially dangerous, you're left with what the Successor States have right now. Of course there is much potential for improving the armies, but that might bring fearsome social ideas forward. Can't have that.

Why no guided missiles? While Mechwarriors want to show their courage and valor, they're not stupid. They prefer muskets that are not too accurate, because they know their opponent will have the same sort of weapon. This must be the reason why they have all sorts of strange rituals, warrior codes and habits: they've essentially retreated back into tribal warfare where the point is not so much to kill your enemy as scare him off and show your personal bravery and prowess. Besides, the existing armament industries must love this setting. Perpetual low-intensity war with massive military industrial complexes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 3

Combat Results:
K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank struck by A Griffin’s PPC: 20/30 front armor remaining
A Griffin’s LRM 10 misses K5!
A Griffin builds 15 heat, sinks 12. 3 residual heat carries into next turn

K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank struck by B Blackjack Large Laser: 16/24 turret armor remaining. Boxcars Critical. Ammunition hit.
B Blackjack’s Large Laser misses K5!
B Blackjack’s Medium Laser misses K5!
B Blackjack builds 20 heat, sinks 17. 3 residual heat carries into next turn

C Vulcan’s Medium Laser misses K6!
C Vulcan’s Machine Gun is out of range, automatic miss!
C Vulcan builds 13 heat, sinks 12. 1 residual heat carries into next turn

D Jenner’s Medium Laser misses K6!
D Jenner’s SRM 4 misses K6!
D Jenner builds 17 heat, sinks 10. 7 residual heat carries into next turn. D Jenner's movement reduced to 6/9/5.

K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank’s Medium Laser misses A Griffin!
A Griffin struck by K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank SRM 2 (1 missile hits): 18/20 center torso armor remaining.
K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank’s SRM 2 misses A Griffin!
K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank suffers 192 internal structure damage due to SRM Ammo Explosion to turret. 0/3 internal structure remaining.
K5 J. Edgar Hover Tank destroyed.

K6 J. Edgar Hover Tank spots for K4 Dragon

C Vulcan struck by Indirect Fire from K4 Dragon’s LRM 10 (6 missiles hit): 7:/12 right torso armor remaining, 14/15 center torso armor remaining.
K4 Dragon builds 6 heat, sinks 10. 0 residual heat carries into next turn

“Take that you stupid son of a bitch!” Desmond crowed as his target disintegrated under a lucky Large Laser hit; then cringed away, his Blackjack attempting to follow the same motion, as a stray missile went sailing around him in the bizarre corkscrew he’d learned was typical of SRMs. There was a soft ‘wump’ behind him as the lone missile exploded against Lieutenant Barnes’ Griffin.

“Huh. You’re better than I thought,” Barnes began. He may have said more, but St. Croix’s voice cut into the commline.

“Hey, LT, this little bastard over here is spotting for that damned Dragon!”

“Shoot it!” Barnes suggested helpfully.

Turn 3 OpForce Movement:
K1 Unknown Light walks to 1718
K2 SDR-5K Spider jumps to 1616
K3 JR7-D Jenner runs to 2014
K4 DRG-1G Grand Dragon runs to 2414
K5 J. Edgar exploded
K6 J. Edgar light hover tank moves at flank speed to 2006

Enemy Forces
K1 Unknown Light
K2 SDR-5K Spider
K3 JR7-D Jenner
K4 DRG-1G Grand Dragon
K6 J. Edgar light hover tank

Victory Condition: Disable or Destroy both J. Edgar hovertanks (1/2)
Optional Secondary Condition: Disable or Destroy all House Kurita forces

I think arrows would look a bit cluttered, so I opted for 'after-images'. If people prefer arrows, I can do them next time.

Kell Hounds ’Mech Status
A GRF-1N Griffin (Tempest_56)
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 18/20 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 14/14 (9/9)
RA A(S): 14/14 (9/9)
LL A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
RL A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
Heat: 3/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 6, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if PPC is fired)

B BJ-1DB Blackjack (Axe-man)
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LL A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RL A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
Heat: 3/30
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

C VLT-5T Vulcan (Pladdicus)
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 14/15 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 7/12 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
RA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
LL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
Heat: 1/30
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Flamer – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LA (Heat: 0, Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands—may punch with either arm at increased risk of self-damage

D JR7-D Jenner (Cthulhu Dreams)
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 10/10 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
RA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
RL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
Heat: 7/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced to 6/9/5
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 7/11/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

Enemy ‘Mech Status
K1 Unknown Light
Walked: 5
Damage: None
Armament: Unknown

K2 SDR-5K Spider
Jumps: 3

K3 JR7-D Jenner
Ran: 5

K4 DRG-1N Dragon
Ran: 4

K5 J. Edgar light hover tank

K6 J. Edgar light hover tank
Cruised: 10
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 9, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is an interesting question and one I've thought about entirely too much.

When you consider warfare in 3025, the major problem is actually getting troops to fighting distance of each other. As in, on the same planet. You'll have to transport everything you need with you. I'd guess someone decided that maximizing firepower per available warrior was essential for operations to have any kind of hope.

On the other hand, once you've gotten troops to target system you have amazing strategic mobility. Way above what anyone in the history has ever had. Want to deploy your whole army on the other side of the world? Sure, no big deal. Takes an hour, less if you don't have to pick anyone up. Deployment can be done via drop pods, meaning you have 100-ton airborne rangers.

Most of the known universe is literal backwater with maybe one big city per planet. Often less, because why bother settling a planet that has nothing barring one unobtainium mine? You can be said to effectively control the planet when you control that one city, which means you don't need armies of millions to conquer a planet. A well-placed strike team of four will do just nicely. Most of the planets aren't even that loyal, because who cares what lord or other rules this week? You pay taxes like you always did and keep on living.

As intergalactic civilization began to crumble, the mechs became a status symbol. Sort of why tinpot dictators like to build an air force. Whether it was actually the effective route to take is up to debate. Once you dismantle most of the traditional army as either useless or potentially dangerous, you're left with what the Successor States have right now. Of course there is much potential for improving the armies, but that might bring fearsome social ideas forward. Can't have that.

Why no guided missiles? While Mechwarriors want to show their courage and valor, they're not stupid. They prefer muskets that are not too accurate, because they know their opponent will have the same sort of weapon. This must be the reason why they have all sorts of strange rituals, warrior codes and habits: they've essentially retreated back into tribal warfare where the point is not so much to kill your enemy as scare him off and show your personal bravery and prowess. Besides, the existing armament industries must love this setting. Perpetual low-intensity war with massive military industrial complexes.

I believe the fluff also mentions that it's a way of reducing the cost in manpower and materiel to the forces that are fighting. As you said, if all there is on the planet is one city and a mine, and nothing else of value, having millions of people die and taking the logistical network to move a huge army and armored divisions etc is more work than just having a couple of lances of mechs fight and just accept that whoever wins the mech battle wins the planet for now.

It also keeps war manageably cost effective, because you only have to replace a few mechs (usually you don't even lose the pilots in inter-house warfare) rather than a whole shitload of tanks or thousands of infantry.

[EDIT] Also, nice shooting! Way to hit the SRM bay. A good object lesson in why ammo explosions suck when they happen to you. And good to see PTN using the surviving tank to spot for missile fire. Was wondering how much that would come into play.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I was wondering that about the spotting too, especially after I all but asked to be put in a spotter/scout role when it was my turn in the barrel. :v: Lucky shots on K5, slightly balanced by a lack of luck in hitting K6. Everyone focus fire on the tank and let's see if we can't take down a few Kurita mechs as bonuses.

Also, Top Gun: Succession Wars would be an excellent idea and none of you can refute this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, Top Gun: Succession Wars would be an excellent idea and none of you can refute this.

No lie, aerospace combat is pretty drat cool too. It's just kind of clunky to integrate it with mech combat as well since fighters are so damned fast. But something like screening a dropship as it burns toward a planet? Hell yeah. :rock:

Tactical analysis: First thing to comes to mind is that K6 is going to be off-board next turn unless you guys managed to at least wing it now. I would suggest A walks to 1508, this puts you in position to fire at K6 with a minimum of penalties and keeps your front to the other enemies. B I would suggest either running (via 1205-1306-1406) or jumping to 1507, facing southeast. This puts K6 in your front arc and protects your flank, and at a range of 5 hexes it is just inside short range for your large lasers. Both of you need to open up on K6 and hope for good rolls.

C has the range to help with K6 if you're willing to accept penalties from such a long jump. I'd probably risk it since the objective is so close to getting away, and jump to 1806 facing southeast. This puts your lasers within short range, which you'll need to overcome the jumping penalties. 3 mechs on one tank seems like overkill but the hit last turn on the other one was pure luck, you guys really need to swamp this one in fire.

D is kind of in a bind, all alone south of the river. It could probably shoot up K2 pretty well if you got lucky, but not knowing what K1 is has me leery. Similarly, while a Jenner is a good choice for harrassing a Dragon up close, taking on K3 and K4 at the same time by yourself is not a very good idea. I'd probably jump to 1611 and maybe take a potshot at k3. Not that I expect to hit but the movement is more to consolidate with the rest of the lance and the trees should screen you a bit.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 24, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Do you think fluff can bloom, even on a battlefield?

:siren:An Abridged History of the Inner Sphere:siren:

Part 3 - Blood In The Water

With Kerensky and his SLDF vanished into uncharted space, the Great Houses of the Star League, now monikered the Successor States, had no more restrictions placed upon their centuries-old hostilities, and the flames of war ravaged civilization. In these dark times, with production facilities reduced to rubble and vast sums of knowledge lost, the tawdry remains of the once-great Star League were hoarded by the Successor States. It was only though mutual agreement during the nearly three hundred years of constant conflict that utterly irreplaceable technologies, such as Jumpships and Battlemechs, were preserved. The HPG relay network, the primary means of interstellar communications, came under the control of ComStar, formed from the Star League Department of Communications by its chief director, Jerome Blake.

Seizing Terra, Blake declared ComStar neutral, and offered their services to all the houses, under the stricture that all pay equally, and that ComStar sovereignty over the relays never be challenged. While resentful of the arrangement, the Great Houses realized Blake had them between a rock and a hard place: without the HPG network, interstellar government would collapse entirely, and only ComStar had the means or knowledge to maintain it. Grudgingly, they agreed to Blake's terms. Over many years, ComStar would become more and more secretive, less a corporation and more of a mystic cult, finally culminating in Primus Conrad Toyama reorganizing ComStar along the lines of a religious organization, which only further cemented the belief of the public that the HPG relays were a tool of magic, only able to be used by ComStar Adepts. Slowly but surely, ComStar's influence spread, guarded by their mighty military wing, the Com Guards, holders of the vast majority of the lost military technologies left behind by the SLDF.

Meanwhile, the Great Houses themselves continued to pay back bloody revenge upon each other for slights both real and perceived. House Davion warred upon House Kurita warred upon House Steiner warred upon House Marik warred upon House Liao warred upon House Davion, a ceaseless, fruitless struggle as more of humanity's knowledge base was blasted away into dust. Far beyond familiar stars, however, the SLDF faced its own internal trials.

With the death of Aleksandr Kerensky, leadership passed to his son, Nicholas. With no other enemies to fight, and most seeing Nicholas as a frail successor to his father, the SLDF, based on a quintet of planets known as the Pentagon Worlds, descended into bitter infighting over inter-unit rivalries and ethnicities. Nicholas, disgusted at the ease with which the SLDF had fallen into civil war, decided that what was needed was a truly fresh start. Taking 800 of his most loyal followers with him, Nicholas began the Second Exodus, leading his followers to a world they dubbed Strana Mechty, Russian for 'Land of Dreams.' There, he organized them into the Clans, endeavoring to form a society of perfect warriors through a combination of eugenics and training-from-birth. A generation later, Nicholas and his Clans would descend upon the Pentagon Worlds as one, taking back the legacy of Aleksandr.

As the Clans grew in power, political divisions began to show. Those who believed their duty was to fulfill Kerensky's vision of a new Star League by conquering the Inner Sphere themselves came to be known as Crusaders, while those who preferred to stand guard for the day the Inner Sphere unified itself were known as Wardens. The Crusaders were largely motivated by a need for increased living space: though the Warrior Caste held most privileges, the civilian populations necessary for the functioning of Clan society had begun to outgrow their held worlds. Though the Crusaders pushed for invasion, hard-fought Trials, tests of battle to determine policy, saw the Wardens triumphant, and cooler heads prevailed. However, to calm the fuming Crusader Clans, the Wardens, particularly Clan Wolf, made concessions. Most notably, an agreement was reached to send an advance scoutforce of Clan warriors to monitor the Inner Sphere under the guise of a mercenary unit, who could use their military skill to gain recon on the various powers that be. In 3005, Wolf's Dragoons arrived in the Inner Sphere, and would become one of the most celebrated mercenary units in known history.

By the year 3000, the constant war had become a fact of life in the Inner Sphere. Territory rarely changed hands for very long, and the restrictions of limited tech meant that conquering the Inner Sphere through raw force was almost impossible. The stalemate was finally broken in 3020, when Archon Katrina Steiner of the Lyran Commonwealth sent out a peace proposal to the other Successor States. Only Prince Hanse Davion of the Federated Suns showed interest, and by 3022 Steiner and Davion had formed an alliance in secret, through the promise of Melissa's hand in marriage to Hanse. Their realms were fused together into the Federated Commonwealth, each holding a corner of the Inner Sphere. With their enemies sandwiched between them on either side, things seemed dire for the other nations individually.

Putting aside old hatreds in favor of newer, fresher ones, the Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, and Capellan Confederation signed into law the Concord of Kapetyn in 3024, forming a three-way mutual defense pact. It soon became clear that any new war would engulf the entirety of the Inner Sphere.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 24, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Melissa Steiner's hand in marriage.

Also, Nicholas saw the reconquest of the Pentagon Worlds. His new Clans trained in secret for 20 years, then returned and conquered everything. Then he got killed trying to absorb the Widowmakers, which pissed off the wolves and resulted in the Widowmakers' near annihilation.

Mukaikubo posted:

Lucky shots on K5

The most hilarious thing is? 192 damage is still less than half the potential damage of a single ton of machinegun ammo detonating.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

No lie, aerospace combat is pretty drat cool too. It's just kind of clunky to integrate it with mech combat as well since fighters are so damned fast. But something like screening a dropship as it burns toward a planet? Hell yeah. :rock:

Tactical analysis: First thing to comes to mind is that K6 is going to be off-board next turn unless you guys managed to at least wing it now. I would suggest A walks to 1508, this puts you in position to fire at K6 with a minimum of penalties and keeps your front to the other enemies. B I would suggest either running (via 1205-1306-1406) or jumping to 1507, facing southeast. This puts K6 in your front arc and protects your flank, and at a range of 5 hexes it is just inside short range for your large lasers. Both of you need to open up on K6 and hope for good rolls.

C has the range to help with K6 if you're willing to accept penalties from such a long jump. I'd probably risk it since the objective is so close to getting away, and jump to 1806 facing southeast. This puts your lasers within short range, which you'll need to overcome the jumping penalties. 3 mechs on one tank seems like overkill but the hit last turn on the other one was pure luck, you guys really need to swamp this one in fire.

D is kind of in a bind, all alone south of the river. It could probably shoot up K2 pretty well if you got lucky, but not knowing what K1 is has me leery. Similarly, while a Jenner is a good choice for harrassing a Dragon up close, taking on K3 and K4 at the same time by yourself is not a very good idea. I'd probably jump to 1611 and maybe take a potshot at k3. Not that I expect to hit but the movement is more to consolidate with the rest of the lance and the trees should screen you a bit.

Yeah, D's goal also has to be to make itself as hard to hit as possible and draw fire, it's in no position to attack the objective. Jump, jump, jump, jump around, get behind partial cover or trees, launch a potshot, etc.

Also screening a landing dropship against aerospace interdiction would be awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

The most hilarious thing is? 192 damage is still less than half the potential damage of a single ton of machinegun ammo detonating.

This is why I told Pladdicus to dump his MG ammo. And looking at the OpFor, I still think it's a good idea - the only thing that MG will even vaguely be useful against is the last tank, if he manages to get within 3 hexes of it.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Melissa Steiner's hand in marriage.

Also, Nicholas saw the reconquest of the Pentagon Worlds. His new Clans trained in secret for 20 years, then returned and conquered everything. Then he got killed trying to absorb the Widowmakers, which pissed off the wolves and resulted in the Widowmakers' near annihilation.

Herp derp, my memory is way off. Fixed!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, D's goal also has to be to make itself as hard to hit as possible and draw fire, it's in no position to attack the objective. Jump, jump, jump, jump around, get behind partial cover or trees, launch a potshot, etc.

Another option for D if he's feeling gutsy is to jump to somewhere around the 0717 area and try to split the OpFor lance. K2 could close there but it's no match for our Jenner. K3 might be tempted to head over instead of facing 3 mediums at close quarters. That leaves K1 as the wild card, though.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Another option for D if he's feeling gutsy is to jump to somewhere around the 0717 area and try to split the OpFor lance. K2 could close there but it's no match for our Jenner. K3 might be tempted to head over instead of facing 3 mediums at close quarters. That leaves K1 as the wild card, though.

Too often wild cards become "Critical hit... ammunition explosion." I swear that calm, mocking computer voice from Mechwarrior 2 still haunts me whenever I play Megamek, and haunted me every time I played the tabletop. "Critical hit... gyro. Critical hit. Weapon destroyed..."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Too often wild cards become "Critical hit... ammunition explosion." I swear that calm, mocking computer voice from Mechwarrior 2 still haunts me whenever I play Megamek, and haunted me every time I played the tabletop. "Critical hit... gyro. Critical hit. Weapon destroyed..."

We're talking about a 3025-era Kurita light mech, though. I was afraid it was a Panther, which would have been bad news, but it walked 5 hexes last turn, so it's too fast to be one. Anything in this era that's fast enough to close on our Jenner in one round isn't going to be armed heavily enough to take it out faster than it can retreat, short of something like a Panther or another Jenner maybe. A Javelin might be an issue too but I seriously doubt we're going to find a Kurita pilot in one.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Useless rookies. Can't hit the broad side of a J. Edgar. :mad:

Assuming the pre-battle dialogue is accurate, we probably don't have to worry about the last tank bolting just yet. It will probably hang around and be a nuisance in our rear until the battle starts going poorly for the Dracs. I would still much rather we kill it this turn though, before the enemy mechs arrive.

I wonder if the Jenner should fall back to our position or attempt to draw off the two mechs currently in pursuit. We would have a really solid weight advantage up top for a couple turns if that were to happen.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"St. Croix get out of there, you did your job we got a few commits to the south, now swing north around those hills and get into the kill zone for these fuckers. Only one more primary to go! hey does everyone enjoy checking to see if that cooling vest of yours is working, cause i'm pretty sure i'm nice and toasty and it's working fine!"

Okay now they have committed, it is time to get our primary. I think we should all swing to the north and take out the last mech, I'm posting a picture to clarify

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

purple is how we want them to commit further

red is the movement direction should go, this allows us, to try to get the faster elements seperated from the slower ones and the ones crossing to the south.

we all need to focus this turn on taking out that last hovercraft so we can do a tactical retreat if it starts getting to hot and heavy or if you guys break morale and run :goon: ;)

Mukaikubo posted:

It was always worse when it hit a guass cause that thing made you feel it, and usually you were left without a left arm or torso.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2011

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Here's a crazy idea for D. Not sure how feasible it is, but it plays into Poptarts comments that he's RPing the OpFor: get as close as you can to the Dragon and challenge it. If you can get inside minimum range, then he won't be able to return fire.

Is this genius? Suicide?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mahoshonen posted:

Here's a crazy idea for D. Not sure how feasible it is, but it plays into Poptarts comments that he's RPing the OpFor: get as close as you can to the Dragon and challenge it. If you can get inside minimum range, then he won't be able to return fire.

Is this genius? Suicide?

mechs can punch and kick you know right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
He will be able to, it'll just be highly inaccurate. The LRMs will be at -1 per hex under 7, the AC is a smaller min IIRC.

Alchenar posted:

Did he hit?
No, it was well over 13 required to hit. I think it worked out as a 17 or so on 2d6 with a 0 gunnery pilot.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

"St. Croix get out of there, you did your job we got a few commits to the south, now swing north around those hills and get into the kill zone for these fuckers. Only one more primary to go! hey does everyone enjoy checking to see if that cooling vest of yours is working, cause i'm pretty sure i'm nice and toasty and it's working fine!"

Okay now they have committed, it is time to get our primary. I think we should all swing to the north and take out the last mech, I'm posting a picture to clarify

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

purple is how we want them to commit further

red is the movement direction should go, this allows us, to try to get the faster elements seperated from the slower ones and the ones crossing to the south.

we all need to focus this turn on taking out that last hovercraft so we can do a tactical retreat if it starts getting to hot and heavy or if you guys break morale and run :goon: ;)

It was always worse when it hit a guass cause that thing made you feel it, and usually you were left without a left arm or torso.

Some things I noticed.

1. Your plan puts the griffin really close to the tank, where its weapons are least effective.

2. If you do end up getting into a slug fight in "kill zone", the enemy will have a terrain advantage because they can frolic in the woods.

3. You're putting the vulcan right out in the open.

4. There's no way the jenner can run that far.

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
He will be able to, it'll just be highly inaccurate. The LRMs will be at -1 per hex under 7, the AC is a smaller min IIRC.

AC/5 have min range 3 so you'll have to get right next to it to be above medium range penalties.

PoptarsNinja:

How the heck did the hover tank get over there? I can't think of path that gets the tank over there in 17 move...

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Some things I noticed.

1. Your plan puts the griffin really close to the tank, where its weapons are least effective.

2. If you do end up getting into a slug fight in "kill zone", the enemy will have a terrain advantage because they can frolic in the woods.

3. You're putting the vulcan right out in the open.

4. There's no way the jenner can run that far.

Most of the arrows are approximate mostly just to show general movements, over several turns, but your right looking at it now that i've woken up more, the arrows seem to imply places that aren't that good at all.

I'll have to draw up a better one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Anyway we could know what the rolls were? I'd like to know if I overlooked something or if I just had poor luck.

Also that plan seems fine, lets me get some move and stay out of LOS against the enemies for this round (I think all of them) Free shooting on that mech.

• Locked thread