Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

landcollector posted:

CRITICAL HIT, EGG NOG GLASS

EGG NOG GLASS DESTROYED :hehe:

Even my comforting vaguely alcoholic drink is taken from me

What will the Clanners deny me next :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

Even my comforting vaguely alcoholic drink is taken from me

What will the Clanners deny me next :negative:

You should have stuck with the pancakes I alluded to earlier in our preemptive victory celebration. It's Clan kyrptonite, and even their heaviest weapons cannot scar the golden brown deliciousness of pancakes.

Dirty foreigners probably eat waffles, or some other such imitation product. Their technology in breakfast foods are as bastardized versions of our own as their mech tech. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 13

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B4 Mugger!
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault 2!

B4 Mugger must make a piloting test to stand (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage = 6): rolled 5, fails!
B4 Mugger takes damage to Right Arm (13/18 armor remains), Rear Left Torso (7/9 armor remains)!

B4 Mugger must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 7): rolled 4, failed! Pilot hit!

B4 Mugger must make a 5+ consciousness test! Rolled 6, succeeds!

B4 Mugger must make a piloting test to stand (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage = 6): rolled 9, succeeds!

B5 Remains Stationary!

Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 0 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B4 holds fire!
B4 Mugger gains 2 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 0 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase
B4 Mugger ran with a damaged hip actuator, must succeed at a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage = 6): rolled 5, fails!
B4 Mugger takes damage to Rear Center Torso (8/13 armor remains), Head (2/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!

B4 Mugger must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 7): Rolled 12, succeeds!

B4 Mugger must make a 7+ consciousness test! Rolled 8, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus attempts to push B5 Lucerne (5 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 push = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus! (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 kick + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat = 5): rolled 3, miss!

End Phase:
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1408 (downwind), rolled 7, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1409 (downwind), rolled 11, fire spreads!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1508 (downwind), rolled 7, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1607 (downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1707 (downwind), rolled 9, fire spreads!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1508 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 7, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1707 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 6, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1806 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!

L2 Zeus gains 5 heat due to fire, sinks 17! Now at overheat 0!
L2 Zeus advances into hex 1609!

B5 Lucerne gains 5 heat due to fire, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!
B5 Lucerne must make a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 0 was pushed + 0 missed kick = 4): rolled 3, fails!
B5 takes damage to Right Leg (15/30 armor remains), Left Leg (28/30 armor remains)!

B5 Lucerne must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 0 movement + 1 attempting to avoid pilot damage = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!

The Zeus’s left leg groaned as the metal heated—a fight like this would be hell on her ride; she doubted the 2nd Donegal Guard’s techs would forgive her for the metal fatigue her Zeus’s skeleton would suffer. After a fight like this, her machine might even be a total loss.

Her lips twisted into a humorless smile. She didn’t have a future. Her last remaining duty was to sell her life as dearly as she could to give the Tigris a chance to lift. The Lucerne drew back, clearly preparing another kick.

Sam acted, the Zeus planting its feet heavily as she gave the Clan ‘Mech a heavy shove. With only one foot on the ground, the Clan pilot tottered, tried to turn his kick into a step backwards—and found no ground beneath him. The Lucerne toppled, its legs shedding armor as it slid down the slope of the hill. Her Zeus, badly overbalanced, stepped into the space the Clanner had vacated.

Enemy Forces:
B4 Mugger: Waiting to move!
B5 Lucerne: Attempts to stand!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (12/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Notes: Destroyed by ammunition explosion!

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 7/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 11/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Notes: Retreated off map!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Wait, I thought pushing someone down a level caused them to actually fall and take falling damage?

...well, wow, that was a really dumb move of mine, then.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Wait, I thought pushing someone down a level caused them to actually fall and take falling damage?

No it wasn't. Wait for him to stand up, then kick him in the head. :black101:

Also, :lol: and the mugger that fell twice in one turn.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That Mugger is going to kill itself at this rate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

That Mugger is going to kill itself at this rate.

At least someone in Beta Star is willing to die fighting, eh Knox? :smug:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mukaikubo posted:

If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zaodai posted:

At least someone in Beta Star is willing to die fighting, eh Knox? :smug:

MechWarrior Knox made a bid, but was defeated and promptly withdrew from the field, as was instructed. Continuing to fight in those circumstances would have been the epitome of dishonor and insubordination.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Well, considering my orders should be... pretty obvious to everyone involved, let me invoke this sacred song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si_gaMUumKY

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

MechWarrior Knox made a bid, but was defeated and promptly withdrew from the field, as was instructed. Continuing to fight in those circumstances would have been the epitome of dishonor and insubordination.

That still doesn't explain his girlish screams over comms while fleeing the field this turn. =P

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
While the Steiner Rules of unarmed combat were initially intended for boxing matches between mechs, they do not prohibit the use of kicks.

Our worthy Clan opponent has shown us his preference for kickboxing, so let us show him how a Steiner kicks by stomping his head in!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I know they're dirty mercenaries and all, but I think that in this instance the Unwearied Second and its valiant defender, Lt. Samantha Clover, needs to take a page from the book of the Caballeros.

And that page has only two words on it.

Those two words are JUSTICE FOOT.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I know they're dirty mercenaries and all, but I think that in this instance the Unwearied Second and its valiant defender, Lt. Samantha Clover, needs to take a page from the book of the Caballeros.

And that page has only two words on it.

Do you think that Samantha Clover and Annie Sue Hurd might be related?

C'mon, boxcars!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

gently caress YEAH :black101:

I kind of want that Mugger to annihilate itself standing up. It would be a humiliating end of battle for Azael, and at least Rossi's last word's would mean something.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

LeschNyhan posted:

I kind of want that Mugger to annihilate itself standing up. It would be a humiliating end of battle for Azael, and at least Rossi's last word's would mean something.

The Colonel's ghost is haunting that mech's leg. :patriot:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

In the grim darkness of the far Battletech future, there is no justice.

There's just us.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Kick 'em in the head!!!! :black101:

I want our dear POV's reaction to the beaten up Mugger. Rossi sure gave him hell. :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mukaikubo posted:

In the grim darkness of the far Battletech future, there is no justice.

There's just us.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

"In the grim darkness of Battletech's future there is only--"

"Boot to the head."

"Ow!"

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Ain't that a kick fall JUSTICE FOOT in the head?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

LeschNyhan posted:

That would indeed be awesome. Looks like it might happen, too.

Echoing the calls for the use of a JUSTICE FOOT by Muk here. Good luck, you're gonna need it!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 17, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, considering my orders should be... pretty obvious to everyone involved, let me invoke this sacred song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si_gaMUumKY

Given the current tactical situation, I think it's time to turn on the proper tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKSm0tAvhs

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It feels like this thread could stand another infusion of Sabaton.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
That push was a clever idea. Push the Lucerne out of the fire and claim victory. One large laser is probably enough to finish off the Mugger at this point, securing at least a partial victory. Of course, if the pilot wants to go for the full monty...

This is still in the air. One almost unarmed mech against two clanners who can't shoot? Who knows?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Can you fall on top of the downed mech so it can't get up?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Popy posted:

Can you fall on top of the downed mech so it can't get up?

Just kinda sit on it? Interesting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hob_Gadling posted:

That push was a clever idea. Push the Lucerne out of the fire and claim victory. One large laser is probably enough to finish off the Mugger at this point, securing at least a partial victory. Of course, if the pilot wants to go for the full monty...

This is still in the air. One almost unarmed mech against two clanners who can't shoot? Who knows?

Would intentionally pushing the mech out of the fire actually count as the Clanner leaving the combat area?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

Would intentionally pushing the mech out of the fire actually count as the Clanner leaving the combat area?

Worked just fine last time, didn't it?

e: Although this time it's Steiner rules. Hmm.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 17, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

They don't know the rules, we're making them up as we go, and Clans do have comparable rules about fleeing or leaving combat. You could just say "Much like the ancient sumo, and much like your own rules, leaving the combat ring is a forfeit."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Clearly, these Clanners have no conception of a proper Steiner Rules Duel. Looks like Lt. Clover...

:c00lbert:

... needs to put her foot down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Clearly, these Clanners have no conception of a proper Steiner Rules Duel. Looks like Lt. Clover...

:c00lbert:

... needs to put her foot down.

All the Clanner needs to do to avoid a kick is not stand up, forcing Samantha to make a piloting test or fall.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It's too bad that 'mechs can't perform an elbow drop...

Unless we suddenly developed fluffy rules for them!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

All the Clanner needs to do to avoid a kick is not stand up, forcing Samantha to make a piloting test or fall.

Wait you can't kick a mech while it's down? That's the best time to kick! Seriously... can't you step on his head? Just a little? If there is really a rule that says you can't kick someone while they're down, then that is a stupid rule that no one would follow in real life. Sounds like it's time for a house rule!

Steiner pilots and mercenaries refusing to kick a down enemy? :psylon:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Normally, I'd advocate trying to step on the Lucerne's cockpit for maximum amount of :black101:. But Leutnant Clover is a clever sort, and desperately needs to buy time. Back off, and let the Clanner stand to eat up a turn. Then proceed with vigorously apply JUSTICE FOOT.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Bad Moon posted:

Normally, I'd advocate trying to step on the Lucerne's cockpit for maximum amount of :black101:. But Leutnant Clover is a clever sort, and desperately needs to buy time. Back off, and let the Clanner stand to eat up a turn. Then proceed with vigorously apply JUSTICE FOOT.

Looks like we're getting set for a game of...Kick the Clan(ner).

:frogc00l:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait you can't kick a mech while it's down? That's the best time to kick! Seriously... can't you step on his head? Just a little? If there is really a rule that says you can't kick someone while they're down, then that is a stupid rule that no one would follow in real life. Sounds like it's time for a house rule!

Steiner pilots and mercenaries refusing to kick a down enemy? :psylon:

No, look at the elevation. Samantha's on a hill. If the enemy doesn't stand and she attempts a hit she'll whiff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

She... what? Well normally one would walk up to the target in such a way that one is able to kick it in the head, but I suppose since we have the cardinal rule of "no sharing hexes" to deal with Samantha will only get to stare longingly at the supine enemy from 30 meters away? Is that the idea here? (It still sounds really stupid. ) :crossarms:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

She... what? Well normally one would walk up to the target in such a way that one is able to kick it in the head, but I suppose since we have the cardinal rule of "no sharing hexes" to deal with Samantha will only get to stare longingly at the supine enemy from 30 meters away? Is that the idea here? (It still sounds really stupid. ) :crossarms:

If you want her in the same hex then in theory she could charge it. I don't see anything in total warfare that precludes charging a prone mech. Much less damage than a kick without any speed behind it though.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 17, 2011

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It is an elevation change that would actually be significant to a giant robot of death and estruction. And it's not like they have cameras on their feet to help aim anyways. Hell, I'd imagine it'd be pretty dificult to aim at anything underneath you, as I don't think the cockpit can look down far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Can't she just say "If the enemy stands up I'll kick, if he doesn't I'll stand over him and talk trash."

• Locked thread