Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Fill in those of us who are less in the know?

He's from the terrible Battletech cartoon. Apparently at some point he switched Houses, since in the cartoon he mentions he was with the 4th Skye Rangers during the War of 3039*. That was before going between the two halves of the F-C Alliance was a normal thing.

*During this campaign he served under Leutnant-General Caesar Steiner as part of a multi-RCT task force headed up by the 2nd Donegal Guard

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shame the current ilKhan isn't from the Hell's Horses so we could kill another one on Luthien.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Voyager I posted:

Maybe this mission can make up for the time PTN jammed like half a dozen faction leaders and other plot-critical personalities onto a battlefield littered with headcap machines and nobody died but some random lieutenant.

It was for the best, right? :gbsmith:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Elite Hunchback?
Excellent.

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: I’m sorry for the long delay getting this out. It’s been a bit of a lovely week and I managed to hurt myself. The OpForce is finalized but I haven’t even finished all of their sprites yet.
Get well!

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

There's one problem with this plan: Hanse Davion is not a good parent. He had five kids and only Peter turned out halfway okay.

Also Hanse has an expiration date. Aorta aneurysms are a genetic condition.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: I’m sorry for the long delay getting this out. It’s been a bit of a lovely week and I managed to hurt myself. The OpForce is finalized but I haven’t even finished all of their sprites yet.

lol just lol if you take time to take care of your health instead of running games on the internet

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh my God, that sagiwhatever. A pulse boat with improved short targeting and a TC? I didn't think Battletech mechs were allowed to be that good.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Oh my God, that sagiwhatever. A pulse boat with improved short targeting and a TC? I didn't think Battletech mechs were allowed to be that good.

wubwubwub

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Great Beer posted:

It's an IS mech though so it actually has a weakness.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

It's an IS mech though so it actually has a weakness.

It's weakness being: You have to hide it until you can ambush something with it at point-blank range

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, pulse lasers can't make called shots with a tarcomp. That's about the only thing that mech can't do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

Well, pulse lasers can't make called shots with a tarcomp. That's about the only thing that mech can't do.

That and "do meaningful damage at 13 hexes"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Park in cover near an objective and wait. The hard part will be ignoring all the "Stoop mech cant leave its stoop" taunting.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Man, two large pulses and an erppc with a tarcomp make me doubt that very much. We've all seen what the dice can do.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Man, two large pulses and an erppc with a tarcomp make me doubt that very much. We've all seen what the dice can do.

Those 2 LPLs don't reach beyond 12 hexes tho.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The erppc is really just how sagittaires say 'hello.'

In the distant future, archaeologists will assume it to be a range-finding gun.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Xarbala posted:

The erppc is really just how sagittaires say 'hello.'

In the distant future, archaeologists will assume it to be a range-finding gun.

It's Battletech. When archaeologists unearth one after a thousand years buried in a wasteland, the hardest part of the restoration effort will be figuring out how to turn it on.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

". . . The Sagittare, you know, he just eats up blockers, phenomenal defensive tackle. He's not gonna be running guys down in the open field, but, you know, he gives you size up the middle, and you need your line to be the biggest guys on the field. They’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field."

:love::love::love:

This is gonna be great!!! (smile)

Back Hack posted:

I think Courvalant won the mech lottery. :stare:

You ain't kidding, the 'Sag' is one of my go-to favorites in the original timeline, and that was before the short range perk.

Only thing left now is to not mess it up! (smile)

That and calling after the rest of the lance, "Hey you guys, wait up!!!"

@PTN

Take it easy and relax if you can, online stompy robots can always wait, and nothing is worth your health.

. . . checking my inbox for the order email every 30 seconds . . .

*****Edit*****

Trying to work out some preliminary firing lanes; @PTN, can you verify the exact bonus for Improved Targeting Short? Just the standard -1?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 5, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 1

“They have us pinned,” The exchange officer, Captain Jagoda sounded calm enough even after the trauma of the crash. She’d proven a remarkably capable administrator, and much to the humiliation of several of Isoroku Kurita’s officers, had proven to be a better pilot than most of them. He had used that to push his staff to work harder: if a mere woman was able to outperform them, how could they hope to defeat the Clans? He doubted it had been an easy situation for the Federated Suns-born officer, but she’d risen to the challenge as well. He thought she took some delight in tormenting the doctrinally sexist DCMS officers, and the company under her direct command seemed to respond well to her.

She was also, it seemed, extraordinarily lucky. On Isoroku Kurita’s orders, the `Mechs closest to the exit doors had been the members of his command lance, to which Captain Jagoda had been temporarily attached. Chu-i Fujioka Shichiro’s Rifleman had been ground down to its component parts when the ship struck the ferrocrete on Konpei Island. Chu-i Takahashi Taichi’s Katana had become pinned by bent structural supports, blocking the rest of the company from exiting the ship. They might have been able to blast themselves out, given time, but doing so would have put an end to an otherwise salvageable DropShip.

“Have patience,” Isoroku cautioned. The time was not yet right to act. The Clan forces were still in disarray. DropShips had been landing almost constantly, one after another, for the past hour. It was just fortunate the Clan Aerospace Fighter pilots seemed to lack battlefield longevity. They hadn’t been swept from the skies, but aside from a few combat air patrols they’d retreated to their aerodromes to rest, refuel, and rearm.

“Remain in cover, and force them to advance on us. It is not yet time to act.” Isoroku decided. His decision to delay paid off only minutes later, when a Leopard-class ship sporting the blue, white, and red of the Davion Guards flashed overhead. He squeezed his eyes shut, bowed his head in thanks, and casually ducked his Hunchback below the beam of a hastily-aimed large laser.

“We will be the anvil to the Davion Guards’ hammer. Soldiers of the Sword of Light, stand ready!”

N/A

[No Combat]

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (0/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So...that's a lot of crit seekers...oh look, a Stone Rhino to blow away all your armor. :supaburn:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
poo poo just got real.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well that's a lot of things you want to shoot in the arse.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh my!

How does Goonlance go about securing those naval monitors?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That's a dangerous OpForce!

What's the requirements for joining forces? I'm hoping for a high five.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Wow.

I was excited about my BV, until the OpFor got posted.

That Balius has me outgunned while being 30 tons lighter. Good Grief; better not get within 3 hexes of that thing.

Don't suppose we can get fire support from those naval assets?

***** Orders *****

Initial thoughts are to run down to 0704, using cover and jump jets to advance, hopefully isolate a clan 'mech and start plinking away.

***** Edit *****

Editing to self identify, this is 'The Sag', Reporting In.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 5, 2017

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The good news is that with the nerf to Clan Large Pulse Lasers the Stone Rhino isn't quite as bullshit as it used to be. The bad news is that it's still packing twin Gauss Rifles. Good luck guys!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, just a reminder that this mission looks to be featuring the most consistently deadly enemy faced by both player and opfor alike in the thread:
Turning while running on pavement.
(If you run and turn but then don't move forward again, then you don't have the piloting check though!)

e: also, luckily for goons, none of their mechs are really fast enough to make turning while running a very dicey proposition, heh.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think you guys should pile as much firepower on that Stone Rhino as humanly possible next round and hope you're able to take it out of the picture right away.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The changes to heavy smalls makes that Balius the deadliest thing in the field right now. Short range all day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

I think you guys should pile as much firepower on that Stone Rhino as humanly possible next round and hope you're able to take it out of the picture right away.

If they can accomplish that I will be intensely surprised since it's currently got total cover.

VVV I occasionally pull Clan pilot names from lists of common dog names.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 5, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I like the irony of a Clan mechwarrior named King. It'd be like naming your child Oppressor, or Satan. He has a primo assignment and a fancy rear end mech so I guess someone likes him.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

The only thing northern goons can touch LoS wise looks to be the Nova, while the southern group can hit the Timber Wolf. Everything else has full cover from spots that goons can reach.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

If they can accomplish that I will be intensely surprised since it's currently got total cover.

You just need to BELIEVE.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Hunchback reporting.

Looking at the OPFOR ...They have Ha Otoko? Seriously?

First thought: Go forward to east side of the block (say, hex 1632) - I think it allows me to take a potshot at the Timber Wolf , and engage the Eponas next turn (I can't see them with building if we are same level, right?).
is
But the Timber wolf is not a much better than me at this distance, and it's split me up with the rest of my lance. It's may be too rash.

Second thought - Go to "west" side of the block (say, hex 1232 ) - stays with the group, and preparing to engage next turn - either with the tanks, or the summoner, if he does not retreat.
But this kinda limit my movement options after that, and I don't have "and then what?"

Third thought - Go to 1433 (green and empty is light woods and the hovercrafts can't enter, right?) - block the eponas, make it harder for them to backstab the lance; play bodyguard.

Though number four - it's nearly midnight, last night was a white night ; me trying to think is (more than normal) exercise in futility. Will have better head for numbers, and the English language, tomorrow.
I'll probably regret this post at the morning.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The empty green area is just grass, so the hovercraft can enter it just fine. Only the hexes with trees actually in them like 1534 are woods hexes.

I wouldn't give line of sight yet personally. You're paired with two extreme long range machines who are shortly going to need close in back guarding from Eponas swooping in to short range, where all their firepower takes serious penalties. You're probably going to need to closely save your armor and AC20 ammo given how serious the OpFor is, for better shots than long range dice rolls. Although, with Gunnery 1 you do have a tonnnn more flexibility in making those shots count, but you're going to need it against those 9/14 tanks.

That Jagermech's range profiles are looking really quite handy right now, since it can sit at 15 hexes and get relatively much better to hit numbers vs the Timber Wolf.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rooting for that STONE RHINO. Because that's how the voiceover for it went in Ghost Bear.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Gwaihir posted:

So, just a reminder that this mission looks to be featuring the most consistently deadly enemy faced by both player and opfor alike in the thread:
Turning while running on pavement.
(If you run and turn but then don't move forward again, then you don't have the piloting check though!)

e: also, luckily for goons, none of their mechs are really fast enough to make turning while running a very dicey proposition, heh.

I seem to recall PTN saying you can spend a movement point to 'run carefully' for the turn, which lets you skip the turning on pavement piloting check.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nope, I pretty much ignore running on concrete entirely.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Alright. My Jagermech wants to stay at moderately long engagement ranges, and I want to start the festivities immediately. First instinct is to walk to 0932 facing NE and open up with all four autocannons on the Timber Wolf; the lights will be at +2 from range and the ER lights at +0 from range, it is in heavy woods, and I will be walking. The odds are good that I will start chipping some armor away, and I will have a tall structure to one side of me so that I can play off that when the Eponas come to strike at close range since I am not going to be very good in a knife fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

I like the irony of a Clan mechwarrior named King. It'd be like naming your child Oppressor, or Satan. He has a primo assignment and a fancy rear end mech so I guess someone likes him.

For an extra layer, by probably the Age of War but definitely the late Star League era, "Kings" were people who ran dysfunctional Periphery states. So it's more like naming your kid "Tinpot Dictator"

• Locked thread