Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the safest play is front to back Hatamoto in 1103, Mauler in 1102 (This one's a little constrained because that danged no torso twist) and Battlemaster in 1101 if you all want to :getin: and unload on that Nova. 1104 risks letting it tag you back with the LBX20, which, while it has worse shots than you guys, is still a risk.

Everyone piling in to take the most maneuverable enemy headcappers off the field off the bat would be a big coup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

. . . if we all want to gang up on that Nova, you should probably end in 1104. If you have a reason you want to hang back, please let me know and I can adjust.

Jew it to it! posted:

Got it, amended my orders to reflect moving to 1104.

This just gave me an idea.

@PTN: LOS Question (should I email you instead?)

If I jump to 1004 (Top of H2 wall), no OPFOR enemy 'mech on the North Side will have LOS on me, except the Nova, correct? (and, the H2 wall can support my weight?)

While I am Sky-lining myself, all enemy 'mechs are behind H2 cover, so they shouldn't be able to see me?

I'll accept return fire from an ER Medium Laser to put an ER PPC and x2 Large Lasers on target.

Unless, this is too aggressive and exposes me to too much risk for Turn 2?

What do you think Goons?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Mukaikubo posted:

Alright. My Jagermech wants to stay at moderately long engagement ranges, and I want to start the festivities immediately. First instinct is to walk to 0932 facing NE and open up with all four autocannons on the Timber Wolf; the lights will be at +2 from range and the ER lights at +0 from range, it is in heavy woods, and I will be walking. The odds are good that I will start chipping some armor away, and I will have a tall structure to one side of me so that I can play off that when the Eponas come to strike at close range since I am not going to be very good in a knife fight.

Southern flank: I am issuing these orders. Please do not move to 0932. :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

This just gave me an idea.

If I jump to 1004 (Top of H2 wall), no OPFOR enemy 'mech on the North Side will have LOS on me, except the Nova, correct? (and, the H2 wall can support my weight?)

While I am Sky-lining myself, all enemy 'mechs are behind H2 cover, so they shouldn't be able to see me?

I'll accept return fire from an ER Medium Laser to put an ER PPC and x2 Large Lasers on target.

Unless, this is too aggressive and exposes me to too much risk for Turn 2?

What do you think Goons?

I thiiink that's safe. But I also realized I am dumb as heck and that 1104 is out of range of the LBX20 because I'm real good at counting to 9. So you could run there just as well and be certain that only the Nova can shoot back.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Gwaihir posted:

I thiiink that's safe. But I also realized I am dumb as heck and that 1104 is out of range of the LBX20 because I'm real good at counting to 9. So you could run there just as well and be certain that only the Nova can shoot back.

Hmmm, gonna wait for PTN to weigh in on this one.

Here are my two main concerns:

1) I want to steadily head southwest with my Battlemaster Buddy to start executing our right hook.

2) If that Stonerhino and his buddies peek out from those walls, I'm sky-lined and open to all sorts of return fire (OPFOR moves then fires on my new location, before the start of Turn 2, correct? Unless I'm misunderstanding the initiative rules).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

1) I want to steadily head southwest with my Battlemaster Buddy to start executing our right hook.

2) If that Stonerhino and his buddies peek out from those walls, I'm sky-lined and open to all sorts of return fire (OPFOR moves then fires on my new location, before the start of Turn 2, correct? Unless I'm misunderstanding the initiative rules).

You're misunderstanding the way it works. Right now, it's as if the OpFor have already moved (or I guess they were posted here and are standing around on guard), now the players are moving, and then they both shoot. They aim at where you move, you shoot from where you moved to, etc.

Then, after the shooting/kicking/exploding happens, they OpFor moves.

You then send in orders for the following turn, move yourself, and everyone shoots.

There will not be a chance for enemies to move out and shoot you while you are in a spot you move on this turn.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CourValant posted:

Opfor movement, player movement, all shooting, all melee, opfor movement, player movement. all shooting, all melee. Unless there are opfor Aces, those move after the players, but none appear present currently. So, if they're out of LOS end of your movement, you're fine and can get back in cover before they can reposition. CAVEAT: Buildings are shootable. Check with PTN (A) that it can support your weight and (B) that it is unlikely to get shot out from under you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

You're misunderstanding the way it works. Right now, it's as if the OpFor have already moved (or I guess they were posted here and are standing around on guard), now the players are moving, and then they both shoot. They aim at where you move, you shoot from where you moved to, etc.

Then, after the shooting/kicking/exploding happens, they OpFor moves.

You then send in orders for the following turn, move yourself, and everyone shoots.

There will not be a chance for enemies to move out and shoot you while you are in a spot you move on this turn.

Unless there are Aces, which PTN would generally disclose if he were going to spring them on you Turn 1.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yup!

I think the walls aren't intended to be shot up/knocked over/etc. They're just terrain.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Gwaihir posted:

You're misunderstanding the way it works . . . they aim at where you move, you shoot from where you moved to, etc.

AJ_Impy posted:

Opfor movement, player movement, all shooting, all melee, opfor movement, player movement.

Zaodai posted:

Unless there are Aces, which PTN would generally disclose if he were going to spring them on you Turn 1.

Thanks guys, now I'm on the trolley! (smile)

Gwaihir posted:

Yup!
I think the walls aren't intended to be shot up/knocked over/etc. They're just terrain.

In that case I really need to know about LOS from 1004 and whether or not the H2 Wall is destructible.

I'll email PTN tonight if I don't see him post here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

That should be fine.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

That should be fine.

Ummm, just to avoid any confusion, do you mean its fine as in I should email you, or fine as in the LOS checks out (return fire from the Nova only) and the H2 Wall is safe to jump on?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Mukaikubo posted:

Ha.
Want help with the Timber Wolf, or should I focus on the Eponas?
Also, the roadblock - pointless, good but not critical, best?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Ummm, just to avoid any confusion, do you mean its fine as in I should email you, or fine as in the LOS checks out (return fire from the Nova only) and the H2 Wall is safe to jump on?

The LOS is fine.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm just gonna say this: make sure you have a faster way to coordinate than just posting. If you don't mind using irc, come to irc.synirc.net #megamek channel if you wanna coordinate in there. Do a Google hangouts, whatever.

It really helped me in my game to be able to bounce ideas off people much faster than the thread allows. L

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The LOS is fine.

Thanks!

In that case, orders are as follows (will be emailed before the deadline):

'Sag' will jump to 1004, facing 1005, and fire ER PPC and x2 Large Pulse Lasers at Nova A in 1114.

Captain Dupont will also broadcast, "Happy Liberation Day, My Little Ponies. I've come all the way from New Avalon to see you prance."

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm just gonna say this: make sure you have a faster way to coordinate than just posting. If you don't mind using irc, come to irc.synirc.net #megamek channel if you wanna coordinate in there. Do a Google hangouts, whatever.

Good suggestion, unfortunately, I can't communicate beyond posting here.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gun Jam posted:

Ha.
Want help with the Timber Wolf, or should I focus on the Eponas?
Also, the roadblock - pointless, good but not critical, best?

Eponas have so many MP that I think a block like that isn't going to help much at the moment. I think backing to 0935 is your best choice at the moment. If they come around the right side, you can step out and blast them point blank. If they go over the hill and come around the left, then you can just back up 4 more hexes and do the same thing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

Roger. I am thinking 0931 for me, as that gives me the all important +2 move and partial cover. I can fire on the Timberwolf, but my gut instinct says to take the far better shots on the Summoner and whittle it down before it can start jumping and being annoying.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

Eponas have so many MP that I think a block like that isn't going to help much at the moment. I think backing to 0935 is your best choice at the moment. If they come around the right side, you can step out and blast them point blank. If they go over the hill and come around the left, then you can just back up 4 more hexes and do the same thing.

Depend on my exact numbers - I'm waiting for an answer from PTN about it. If he got good number, sure - but backing up limits my options, especially if the eponas decide to stay at range. I don't want to give them the initiative if I can avoid it (and his shots).
Speaking of questions

KnoxZone posted:

Roger. I am thinking 0931 for me, as that gives me the all important +2 move and partial cover. I can fire on the Timberwolf, but my gut instinct says to take the far better shots on the Summoner and whittle it down before it can start jumping and being annoying.

We can shoot the summoner? I just assumed the trench is blocking LOS.
Huh.
...I think I can walk to 12 hexes from him, while not leaving the cover (hexes 1232 and 1333), giving me a to-hit from 6 to 9 with the auto-cannon.
May be still too aggressive and I should not try taking put-shots.

...My pilot is a superb shot, but with the Clans range advantage, it just means I can break even. And with their better targeting system? I'm losing.
Is this how people felt when the Clans were introduced?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Gun Jam posted:

You are right, I didn't notice that it was in the trench.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Trench should just give it partial cover? I think it's just -1.

Gun Jam posted:

Depend on my exact numbers - I'm waiting for an answer from PTN about it. If he got good number, sure - but backing up limits my options, especially if the eponas decide to stay at range. I don't want to give them the initiative if I can avoid it (and his shots).
Speaking of questions

Huh.
...I think I can walk to 12 hexes from him, while not leaving the cover (hexes 1232 and 1333), giving me a to-hit from 6 to 9 with the auto-cannon.
May be still too aggressive and I should not try taking put-shots.

...My pilot is a superb shot, but with the Clans range advantage, it just means I can break even. And with their better targeting system? I'm losing.
Is this how people felt when the Clans were introduced?

They can't really stay at long range, since they can't shoot over the height 1 ground, being only 1 level high themselves. They have to come in and expose themselves to do anything to you all.

(And besides, they can't win initiative. Eponas are terrifying if you use typical initiative rules, but with how the thread works with "PTN always loses initiative" they're not as much of an unholy terror. Especially since your gunnery is good enough to cut through their typical +3 minimum move mod. )

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 7, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

There's still way too much firepower and HP to fight here (well, it's doable, but it'd require both skill and a moderate to high amount of luck), there's got to be some way to even things out. Freeing the monitors or en route reinforcements, or freeing the trapped mechs?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 7, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

. . . freeing the monitors or en route reinforcements, or freeing the trapped mechs?

Good point, I had actually asked the question whether or not we can get fire support from the Naval Vessels.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Always going first is a huge advantage but yeah, this fight looks pretty dire from the outset.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Good point, I had actually asked the question whether or not we can get fire support from the Naval Vessels.

Unless you bait the Clans into doing something really stupid they're probably not going to have shots.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unless you bait the Clans into doing something really stupid they're probably not going to have shots.

Huh, interesting. So those vessels are fully operational, if they only had LOS?

That changes things a bit, if the boat pen is 'killing ground' to the Clanners.

Just so I understand the elevation, the naval ships are sitting at -2? Same height as the docks?

*****Edit*****

As a for instance, would the boat at 1308 have LOS to the Nova, or Hex 1113?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 7, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Huh, interesting. So those vessels are fully operational, if they only had LOS?

Fully functional but uncrewed.

CourValant posted:

That changes things a bit, if the boat pen is 'killing ground' to the Clanners.

If you can get crews to them, then yes.

CourValant posted:

Just so I understand the elevation, the naval ships are sitting at -2? Same height as the docks?

Correct.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

They can't really stay at long range, since they can't shoot over the height 1 ground, being only 1 level high themselves. They have to come in and expose themselves to do anything to you all.

(And besides, they can't win initiative. Eponas are terrifying if you use typical initiative rules, but with how the thread works with "PTN always loses initiative" they're not as much of an unholy terror. Especially since your gunnery is good enough to cut through their typical +3 minimum move mod. )

I talked about clanners in general.

Orders are in : backing up to 0935. Or, if evading movement is used (and I can get his to-hit to 10 or more), advance to 1433, facing 1432. Chance of regret high in both cases.

@PTN - Did you got the order?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gun Jam posted:

@PTN - Did you got the order?

I did.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CourValant posted:

Good suggestion, unfortunately, I can't communicate beyond posting here.

lol

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Been really busy with work the last few days so I haven't really had a chance to plan my actions a lot, but running to 0931 and joining the Jager in firing an opening salvo at the T-Wolf seems like a pretty safe opener for my Naginata.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Sagittaire Orders Submitted.

@PTN: Please let me know if you don't receive the email.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 2

“drat, that’s a lotta tin cans,” Hawk flipped open his neurohelmet’s visor to rub his chin. He’d never gotten the hang of shaving in zero gravity, and the way his stubble rubbed against the neurohelmet’s padding was irritating. It wasn’t uncomfortably distracting—he didn’t even notice it in a fight—but it always felt like his face had been rubbed down with sandpaper afterwards. For a brief moment, he wondered if growing a beard would ameliorate the issue.

“Monitors,” Chu-i Rosenberg explained. The Kuritan exchange officer knew her stuff and professed to be willing to live or die on Hanse Davion’s command but Hawk still didn’t much care for including her in the Prince’s—the Coordinator-Prince’s—bodyguard lance. “They are basically floating Demolisher tanks—but they lack the Demolisher’s problems. Thinner armor means they can vent more of their waste heat into the water, so the crews can operate them more safely, and—”

“They just look like tin cans to me,” Hawk drawled. “One good kick and blammo, straight through to the engine room and you gotta dredge the thing off the ocean floor after. We had real ships back in Skye, like the Jormungand-class! Sixty-thousand tons, two-hundred and seventy meters long, and with enough Long Toms to—”

“Stop bragging and focus on the battle, Hawk,” Hanse Davion’s voice silenced the young Mechwarrior at once. He’d been right to do so—Hawk had almost forgotten they were in the middle of a fight. A droplet of sweat rolled down the back of his neck. He’d been one of more than a few young men trapped in the Federated Suns when Archon Frederick closed the borders of the Commonwealth immediately after Archon Katrina’s assassination. With nothing better to do with his time and bills to pay for the ninety-ton prize Mauler his father had captured from a House Kurita Mechwarrior, Hawk worried he’d have no choice but to turn mercenary. The Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth weren’t really at odds, even if relations had cooled dramatically since the old Archon’s death.

He’d parlayed a lieutenancy with the Skye Rangers into a commission in the AFFS for the paycheck and the free maintenance. The Suns had always been hard up for Assault `Mech jocks, but a foreign expatriate—even an accidental one—was too big a risk to assign to a light-weight unit. Only the Davion Assault Guards had the throw weight to scoff at a ninety-ton Mauler, and so the Guards had snapped him up. Not that Hawk was particularly planning to turn traitor. He still had no idea why Hanse Davion had chosen him for his personal bodyguard lance—Hawk idly suspected he was trying to see if a Davion, Steiner, and Kurita could get along when forced into prolonged interpersonal contact. Well, Hawk had always liked the Feds, and Axelle Dupont was quite the looker…

He shook his head, and took a potshot at the distant Clan Swordbreaker. Most of his shots missed by meters, but one of his autocannons tagged the Clanner in the chest. A decent hit from a difficult salvo. It was lamentably fortunate he hadn’t ‘accidentally’ shot the Chu-i in the back.

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires PPC at Nova (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires PPC at Nova (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 34!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Nova (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Nova (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 10): rolled 12, hit Left Arm (6/16 armor remaining)!
- Gains 38 heat, sinks 34!

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Fires PPC at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires PPC at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20!

Mauler (Player)
- Fires LRM-15 at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (13/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Nova (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 22!

Hunchback (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Naginata (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Timber Wolf (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Timber Wolf (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Timber Wolf (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 30!

JagerMech (Player)
- Fires Light Autocannon at Timber Wolf (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (31/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Timber Wolf (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Timber Wolf (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Timber Wolf (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (19/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Timber Wolf
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Nova
- Attacks Sagittaire with ER Medium Laser (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (0/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This is the first TW scale scenario I've been in the thread for. Do PSRs for damage happen offscreen?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Depends, I think some of the more minor ones get omitted, but stuff for physicals will definitely be in the updates.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Quite a few of the Clan mech cards are still missing weight/class data - is that on purpose?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Strobe posted:

This is the first TW scale scenario I've been in the thread for. Do PSRs for damage happen offscreen?

If you mean the 'massive damage fall over' roll that I think you mean, didn't PTN say there was a change there? Possibly removing it entirely. I think it came up when he was running down what he'd do to update/improve the game but can't remember the specifics.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Things could get ugly, quick in the north by turn 3 if the Balius and Nova get into knife fight range and sandpaper everyone with the heavy small lasers and machine guns.

Does the H6 building block LOS from anyone who is under level 2 height? Moving to 0807 would open up the Battlemaster to either engaging the two on the right or puts the Gargoyle in long range of the medium lasers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Some choice targets for the southern goons: The Epona Prime in 1925 only has a +2 move mod, and no cover. Even easier to hit, but with more armor, the LRM boat Ha Otoko is only getting a +1. Both long range mechs could probably Alpha strike it to good effect. Everything is still pretty far away for the Hunchie unfortunately. (Although you could hit the Wimber Wolf on 9s from 1433.)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Quite a few of the Clan mech cards are still missing weight/class data - is that on purpose?

Heavy, Heavy, Assault, Medium, Super-heavy. Though tonnage doesn't matter very often.

• Locked thread