Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Astus posted:

It is an elevation change that would actually be significant to a giant robot of death and estruction. And it's not like they have cameras on their feet to help aim anyways. Hell, I'd imagine it'd be pretty dificult to aim at anything underneath you, as I don't think the cockpit can look down far enough.

In the mechwarrior games you get a downward facing camera that lets you look in front of your feet. :colbert:

But seriously, you're trying to hit something the size of a building with a melee attack. I'm fine with the rules not supporting it (because "It's a game, things don't work that way" is a fine excuse), but from a realism standpoint, no, it really wouldn't be that difficult to kick something next to you. Even down a slight incline, as long as it's not rolling. Soccer players seem to do just fine without having to stare at their feet the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah, uh, PTN, though this should probably have been implicit in my orders, since the piloting phase happens well before the physical attack phase if I have no valid target for a kick I'm not kicking. :effort:

edit: Wait, he didn't get ace, so didn't he already move before the update, then? I'm now confused.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 17, 2011

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't know. I seem to remember a Wolfhound having issues walking backwards downhill. Seems pretty fair to think that the metal foot thing, just doesn't work as well as our feet. I mean we have a pretty large number of muscles so our ankles and feet can do crazy things. Mechs have what, like an up/down actuator and maybe a some shocks or something. The whole giant metal robot with armor thing kind of screws them in this case.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

mcgintyb posted:

I don't know. I seem to remember a Wolfhound having issues walking backwards downhill. Seems pretty fair to think that the metal foot thing, just doesn't work as well as our feet. I mean we have a pretty large number of muscles so our ankles and feet can do crazy things. Mechs have what, like an up/down actuator and maybe a some shocks or something. The whole giant metal robot with armor thing kind of screws them in this case.

Think of it more like running into something with your car. You may not be able to get pinpoint accuracy if you were trying to drive between a narrow gap, but if you were going to crash it into the side of a building, the lack of accuracy doesn't really hurt you. She's walking up to a prone (and thus mostly stationary) target, giant robot or not it's not that difficult to get your kick somewhere in the ballpark.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually the "sit on him" suggestion was pretty genius too, but if people are going to stick to the rules enough that kicking a prone, stationary target is impossible then that's certainly not going to be allowed because it's not supported.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

If only the rules supported a jumping knee drop followed by repeated punchings.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Teledahn posted:

Can we manually fall over into the hex in front of us? I mean, it's clumsy as hell, but it'd be funny if it worked. Or if it failed and it killed us.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Astus posted:

Can we manually fall over into the hex in front of us? I mean, it's clumsy as hell, but it'd be funny if it worked. Or if it failed and it killed us.

Elbow drop from the top rope!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Teledahn posted:

Well, if we're going with Steiner Hulkamania, we obviously need to bust out the Atomic Leg Drop

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Teledahn posted:

If only the rules supported a jumping knee drop followed by repeated punchings an elbow drop with accompanying theatrics.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

All the Clanner needs to do to avoid a kick is not stand up, forcing Samantha to make a piloting test or fall.

He can't. Not without (a) breaking Zell, or (b) conceding that Samantha is the victory and asking for Hegira.

Remember, you can't move (or stay out of) weapons range. In this case, the only weapons he hasn't bid away are melee, and none of his melee weapons will be in range if he stays down.

That said, if he takes his time, it counts down the clock.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

anakha posted:

You know I can't help but thinking that if Clans had had pro wrestling then Lincoln Osis would've been a much happier man and a lot of trouble would've been avoided. That picture is obviously him beating Ulric for the title of ilWrestler.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Spikey posted:

Can't she just say "If the enemy stands up I'll kick, if he doesn't I'll stand over him and talk trash."

Given that physical attacks are declared after the movement and shooting phases, yes, she'd be perfectly able to do that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mcgintyb posted:

Mechs have muscles too, actually. It's part of what makes them viable in this universe.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what is preventing Muk from simply walking around to 1509 which would put him behind the clanner? That would put him in perfect position to go to town, wouldn't it?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

LLSix posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what is preventing Muk from simply walking around to 1509 which would put him behind the clanner? That would put him in perfect position to go to town, wouldn't it?

Not quite. To actually be hitting a mech's rear, you have to really be behind it, not behind and to the side like 1509 would be. Moreover, that would take all my movement points, giving me another +2 penalty to hit this turn. And for a third thing, I'd be on the same elevation as him, so I could only punch his torso (I'm assuming he stands up because lol) while from where I am now I can kick his torso for as much damage as two punches in a single location; a kick to any of his torso locations right now will breach armor and start tearing up the gooey insides, while a kick to the head will end the fight via turning a highly trained mechwarrior into chunky salsa. For a fourth thing, with as much as we've been wailing on that torso armor, I don't think his rear is THAT much less armored than his front by this point. For a fifth, circling around to hit him in the back would probably be a violation of clan honor, and really piss gamma star off which would be a Bad Thing right now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

As the owner, originator, and all around maker of the JUSTICE FOOT! I bestow it upon you Muk! USE IT ON THESE DAMNED CLANNERS!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I never thought it would get this close for the Steiners. Kick for that field goal, you crazy bastards!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

lilljonas posted:

I never thought it would get this close for the Steiners. Kick for that field goal, you crazy bastards!

Goooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Wait, he didn't get ace, so didn't he already move before the update, then? I'm now confused.

He's not leaving the hex; but I didn't roll to see if he stood up successfully. It's one of the slight limitations I've bumped into; and I'm looking into solutions for the next scenario--but I'm not going to implement anything here.

Zaodai posted:

She's walking up to a prone (and thus mostly stationary) target, giant robot or not it's not that difficult to get your kick somewhere in the ballpark.

It's not immobilized, just prone. She gets a bonus to shoot it because it's prone in an adjacent hex; but she gets no bonuses beyond that.

Astus posted:

Can we manually fall over into the hex in front of us?

Yes. An 'accidental' fall from above is treated like Death From Above.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know what to do, Mukaikubo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Drop the leg! HULKAMANIA!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

....I'm not sure if this would be the smartest move - it'd hurt the Zeus, too, after all, given that it's still a fall and all, and the Wolfhound proved to us that falls can be really bad.

But it might be the most awesome move, which makes it worthy of consideration.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

....I'm not sure if this would be the smartest move - it'd hurt the Zeus, too, after all, given that it's still a fall and all, and the Wolfhound proved to us that falls can be really bad.

But it might be the most awesome move, which makes it worthy of consideration.

The most awesome choice is humbling the Clanner and getting to turn 20, actually. :colbert:

I'd say let the Clanner wallow in the fire and ash. If he doesn't want to get up that is time bought. If by sum crazy fluke he withdraws all the better.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

No, it'll be cool. We already had one through-armor leg-blown-off crit for this scenario. Every time something happens, it reduces the possibility of it happening again. Ever try to roll three sixes in a row? It's tough! It's, like, statistics and probability or something. :pseudo:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Trast posted:

The most awesome choice is humbling the Clanner and getting to turn 20, actually. :colbert:

Actually, if the Lucerne is currently laying face-down, the most awesome choice would be to straddle him and then ride that 'Mech like a buckin' bronco while the DropShip crew, in admiration, puts rodeo music on all the external speakers.

...until turn 20.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Actually, if the Lucerne is currently laying face-down, the most awesome choice would be to straddle him and then ride that 'Mech like a buckin' bronco while the DropShip crew, in admiration, puts rodeo music on all the external speakers.

...until turn 20.

This is hilarious and awesome. I hate myself for liking it.

... Bonus points if you hog tie the Lucerne

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

LLSix posted:

This is hilarious and awesome. I hate myself for liking it.

... Bonus points if you hog tie the Lucerne

Without hands, that should be worth more bonus points than DFA'ing a helicopter flying at H8.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 14

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Lucerne!
Random Ace Gamma: G4 Unknown Assault 4!

B4 Mugger must make a piloting test to stand (4 base + 0 movement + 2 previous hip damage - 2 Careful Stand = 4): rolled 6, succeeds!

B5 Lucerne must make a piloting test to stand (4 base + 0 movement - 2 Careful Stand = 2): rolled 7, succeeds!

Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 0 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B4 holds fire!
B4 Mugger gains 2 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 0 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus kicks B5 Lucerne (5 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 kick = 5): rolled 7, hits Left Arm (4/20 armor remains)!

B5 Lucerne punches L2 Zeus with Right Arm (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (4/24 armor remains)!
B5 Lucerne punches L2 Zeus with Left Arm (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (17/24 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1309 (downwind), rolled 4, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1408 (downwind), rolled 5, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1508 (downwind), rolled 6, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1607 (downwind), rolled 10, fire spreads!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1310 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1408 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 10, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1508 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1706 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 10, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1806 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 7, fire fails to spread!

L2 Zeus gains 5 heat due to fire, sinks 17! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne must make a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 movement + 0 kicked = 4): rolled 8, succeeds!

B5 Lucerne gains 5 heat due to fire, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

Below her, the Lucerne rolled to its feet. For a brief instant, the Clanner’s small, dome-shaped cockpit was exposed—Sam acted, lunging forward with a hard kick. She smiled victoriously, the Clanner had no opportunity to evade the blow.

With a swift motion, the Steel Viper kicked up his ‘mech’s left arm and deflected her kick. Armor flew from both ‘Mechs as the Clanner retaliated, slamming his other arm into Sam’s other leg. Her Zeus rocked, but the heavy machine had broad feet. Her gyro didn’t even skip a beat.

“I was afraid,” she panted into her comms, “that you Clanners wouldn’t be any good at close combat.”

“I am happy to disappoint you, Leutnant,” someone, she thought probably Drang, replied. They were getting harder and harder to distinguish. Sam blamed the heat; or probably the Clanners themselves. Listening to them was growing tedious. She said as much under her breath as she started a blanket transmission over the 2nd Donegal’s command frequencies. All data on Clan ‘Mechs encountered by the regiment as a whole; plus her own ‘Mech’s collected BattleROMs. She just hoped someone on the Tigris was wise enough to record the transmission.

Enemy Forces:
B4 Mugger: Walks to 1018!
B5 Lucerne: Waiting to move!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (13/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Notes: Destroyed by ammunition explosion!

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 7/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 11/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Notes: Retreated off map!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 17, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Not a lot to say here except GO MUK, GO! :hist101:

Shame the Mugger managed to stand. Ah well.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Y'all forgot the "I got kicked" PSR for the clanner, PTN.

Also I kicked the single most useless thing to have kicked, I own.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Muk... I am so sorry.

Also, PTN, isn't the Clanner supposed to make a PSR for having been kicked?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Kick him again! You have the high ground.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
drat, Muk, you look like your about to lose a leg. Might want to consider changing elevation.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

the JJ posted:

Kick him again! You have the high ground.

This is the right answer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Go get 'em, Lucerne! Keep on scrappin', or you'll lose an arm!

Hmmm, wonder if the Clanners would even bother trying to cut that transmission short?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Go get 'em, Lucerne! Keep on scrappin', or you'll lose an arm!

Hmmm, wonder if the Clanners would even bother trying to cut that transmission short?

Are you kidding? They'd probably send over the loadouts and specs themselves as part of the bid if anyone thought to ask.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mukaikubo posted:

Are you kidding? They'd probably send over the loadouts and specs themselves as part of the bid if anyone thought to ask.

Not that those might necessarily MEAN anything to the IS forces, anymore than most of the other Clan terms (that, and even if they do recognize some of the techs mentioned, the IS might think those weapons that share the Star League tech names have the same performance, which would be... an unfortunate assumption).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Poor Muk! Hey, at least if you break the arm off you can beat him to death with his own arm the next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

Poor Muk! Hey, at least if you break the arm off you can beat him to death with his own arm the next turn.

The Zeus does not have hands, so no he can't.

• Locked thread