Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Yakumo posted:

You can do that same move with run MP if you want better shots. You'll also have better shots against you but I believe PTN said he's not going to tend to focus fire so up to you if it's worth it.

Considering the firepower available, I'd go for this one. Take that for what it's worth :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it isn't. It's not even a failed objective. This mission's objectives do not hinge on the survival of any particular `Mech or Mechwarrior.

Fraction Jackson posted:

That definitely changes some things.

Certainly changes the thinking; like many others in the thread, I figured since Isoroku was mentioned specifically as a Primary, it was his survival which mattered.

Zaodai posted:

. . . the pilot has been hitting the bottle pretty hard lately, but Hanse is too much of a nice guy to fire him.

. . . nani?!?

Yakumo posted:

You can do that same move with run MP if you want better shots. You'll also have better shots against you but I believe PTN said he's not going to tend to focus fire so up to you if it's worth it.

Psion posted:

Considering the firepower available, I'd go for this one. Take that for what it's worth :v:

Noted with due respect and consideration; I'm just really gun shy about those dual gauss rifles. 'Sag' will be in short range of the Epona, I think I'd rather bump up my target number and rely on the short range quirk to even out the percentages, rather than give the OPFOR an easier shot at me.

I really, really don't want to eat dual gauss slugs to the poorly armored cockpit.

In like Zinn posted:

. . . a desperate broadcast of BattleRoms of Hanse Davion and Isoroku Kurita standing back-to-back against the Clans, on Luthien, defiant to the last.
Now what message would that send to the slowly integrating military forces of the DracSun alliance?

That would be state propaganda worthy of the CapCon.

In fact, that was a great moment in the canon universe, when Sun Tzu hot-dropped into battle against the Republic in a gold plated Emperor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A gold-plated Emperor he paid $500 for. He was then immediately shot to death by his own men.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

A gold-plated Emperor he paid $500 for. He was then immediately shot to death by his own men.

I knew I'd get a Zaodai response on this last post. :)

Despite my misgivings about the CapCon, this was a great Liao moment; I was moved. With emotions and stuff.

For those wondering, this was during the Capellan Crusades, circa 3113.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

It would be less shameful than what actually became of House Liao.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

In like Zinn posted:

Aside from PTN never hanging a mission's outcome on a single player, consider this: a desperate broadcast of BattleRoms of Hanse Davion and Isoroku Kurita standing back-to-back against the Clans, on Luthien, defiant to the last.
Now what message would that send to the slowly integrating military forces of the DracSun alliance?

Also would be one hell of a political vote I think.

It absolutely makes sense the other way, I think people (myself included) took the wording of the objective too literally.

CourValant posted:

Noted with due respect and consideration; I'm just really gun shy about those dual gauss rifles. 'Sag' will be in short range of the Epona, I think I'd rather bump up my target number and rely on the short range quirk to even out the percentages, rather than give the OPFOR an easier shot at me.

If you aren't shooting the Stone Rhino at all this turn then jumping isn't too bad, since you should have 6s on the Epona anyway with all your pulses, at least by my count. Under normal circumstances J:3 is pretty inefficient though, and when you press the Stone Rhino in subsequent turns you'll probably want to run straight at it to close distance and have a better swing in terms of target numbers.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 6, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

. . . when you press the Stone Rhino in subsequent turns you'll probably want to run straight at it to close distance and have a better swing in terms of target numbers.

That's the plan, or at least, will be the plan in the next few turns. My preference is to play rear-arc keep-away with the Stone Rhino, and if the 'Sag' needs to use its jump jets to do so, then that's what it'll do.

Between the pulse and the short-range quirk, the percentages should even out, even if the Stone Rhino jumps as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PTN's clarification does open things up a lot.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Orders Submitted

‘Sag’ will jump to 0818, facing 0918 and fire x2 Large Pulse Lasers, x3 Medium Pulse Lasers, and x1 Small Pulse Laser at the Epona Prime #2 in 1117. If the Epona is mission killed, ‘Sag’ will instead fire x1 ER PPC and x2 Large Pulse Lasers at the Stone Rhino in 1516.

Captain Dupont will say on the lance frequency, “Your Majesty, it would appear now is the time to start getting serious”.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Orders in for the Battlemaster, advancing to 0919, firing on Epona in 1117 and PPCs on the Rhino.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I definitely also interpreted Isoruko Kurita as being personally mission critical. There's a lot more leeway now that the Hunchback isn't a golden egg.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 6, 2017

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
I had kind of assumed he was critical but his ride wasn't, but either way it's better to be sure.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Anyone know the rules for exploding refinery storage tanks?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 6, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

Anyone know the rules for exploding refinery storage tanks?

Same as the exploding doggies?

I'd imagine the chemical spillage to mirror fire propagation rules.

@PTN: Actually, I had a question about 'HAZMAT' hexes, do they count as rough terrain for movement purposes?

***** Edit *****

I take it back, the rules for Liquid Fuel/Chemical Tank Explosions is on pg 134 of Tactical Operations; I know its not kosher to post the rules verbatim here.

Suffice-it to say, its not fun; if the tank is reduced to 0 CF, it explodes, with damage scaling depending on the nature of chemicals, the volume, and the radius of the explosion.

Translation: We're going to want to stay at least 3 hexes from these tanks when they go up.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 7, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 8

Steam erupted from one of the fusion engine’s feed pipes as molten armor clogged one of the outlet fans. The intense heat and atmospheric pressure required to keep fifty tons of steel-ceramic composites in the air meant an unexpected hit could be devastating to the Epona’s crew. Tank Commander Yonit’s engineer wailed as the steam washed over him, then did his duty, reaching into the searing cloud to switch to the secondary fuel lines and relieve pressure from the burst main. The Epona jittered as its fusion engine slowly began losing the war against gravity, and sunlight poured in through half-meter rents in the tank’s turret armor.

Yonit had been a Mechwarrior once, until he’d sustained an injury that had paralyzed him so thoroughly even Clan medical science couldn’t repair the damage. His mind remained as sharp as his will, but his body had withered away beneath him. He couldn’t even muster the arm strength to move a second line BattleMech’s control stick, but that wasn’t enough to keep him from the fight. Above all the other Clans, the Hell’s Horses abhorred waste. Throwing away a warrior who’s mind was sharp as a survival knife went against everything the Clan stood for. He’d tested into a tank command, and drilled his crew relentlessly. They were his arms and legs now, fulfilling his orders with neither complaint nor disappointment. They were all warriors, no matter the circumstances of their birth—and they were here to die for the Hell’s Horses.

The thought of giving an inspiring speech never crossed the veteran tank commander’s mind. He saw no need to preach, to extol Clan virtues, or push them to greater feats of martial prowess. They knew he expected more than mere competence, and sentiment had no place in the lives of those already dead.

“Forward,” he croaked, his raspy, mechanized voice buzzing loudly in the crew cabin’s intense heat. “Take us right underneath. Box the last one in, or make it show us its back!”

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1018!
- Fires Medium Laser at Epona Prime #2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Epona Prime #2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Front (16/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Epona Prime #2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Turret (12/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Epona Prime #2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Epona Prime #2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires PPC at Stone Rhino (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (17/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Stone Rhino (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (26/36 armor remaining)!
- Gains 35 heat, sinks 34!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Turret (4/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Turret (0/17 armor, 3/5 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Side (14/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Side (17/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 34!

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0918!
- Fires PPC at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Mauler (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (22/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Head (1/9 armor remaining)! Pilot hit!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Front Leg (22/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Rear Leg (14/27 armor remaining)!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 22! Overheating!

Hunchback (Player)
- Fires Assault Autocannon at Glass Spider (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 4): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (10/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24!

Naginata (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Glass Spider (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (5/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 11, 10 missiles hit Right Arm (15/20 armor remaining), Left Leg (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

JagerMech (Player)
- Aims High and fires ER Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 4 aiming high = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Aims High and fires ER Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 4 aiming high = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Aims High and fires Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 4 aiming high = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Aims High and fires Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 4 aiming high = 11): rolled 12, hit Center Torso (5/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20!

Summoner
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0625!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hatamoto-Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (26/34 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hatamoto-Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Hatamoto-Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (20/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Hatamoto-Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (21/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 39 heat, sinks 38!

Ha Otoko
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1531!
- Fires LRM-20 at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 10, 20 missiles hit Left Leg (10/20 armor remaining), Center Torso (16/26 armor remaining), Left Torso (10/20 armor remaining), Right Leg (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 13!

Glass Spider
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (6/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/26 armor, 16/20 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20!

Epona A #1
- Fires LRM-20 at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 15 missiles hit Right Torso (10/30 armor remaining), Left Arm (26/31 armor remaining), Left Torso (25/30 armor remaining)!

Gargoyle
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 32!

Balius
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (8/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (2/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Head (3/9 armor remaining)! Pilot Hit!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (20/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (14/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (20/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 24!

Stone Rhino
- Fires Gauss Rifle at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (0/27 armor, 7/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 20!

Epona Prime #1
- Holds fire!

Epona Prime #2
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (4/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (18/44 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Sagittaire (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Right Torso (2/30 armor remaining), Left Leg (32/39 armor remaining), Right Torso (0/30 armor remaining), Right Leg (27/39 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
Epona Prime #2
- Critical chance in Turret: rolled 6, stabilizer damaged!
- Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 10, Heavy Damage sustained!
- Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 7, Minor Damage sustained!

Balius
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 3, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Naginata (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 3, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!

Mauler (Player)
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

BattleMaster (Player)
- Critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 11, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Mauler (Player)
- Kicks Balius (4 base + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 kick = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Front Leg (4/22 armor remaining)!

Balius
- Kicks Mauler (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 kick + 1 Clanner = 5): rolled 2, miss!

End Phase:
Balius
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 0 kicked - 1 Quad = 4): rolled 6, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 0 missed kick - 1 Quad = 4): rolled 4, succeeds!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (15/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tank Commander Yonit is intensely badass

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Konpei Island Update 8
. . . Tank Commander Yonit’s engineer wailed as the steam washed over him, then did his duty, reaching into the searing cloud to switch to the secondary fuel lines and relieve pressure from the burst main. T

Arrrgh, now you made me feel bad about shooting at that Epona.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sagittaire (Player)
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 34!

In the interest of honesty, that should be 34 heat gained, plus heat from jumping.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mauler (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Head (1/9 armor remaining)! Pilot hit!

Nice!!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Balius
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Head (3/9 armor remaining)! Pilot Hit!

Not as Nice.

@PTN: I do believe the 'Sag' was to face 0918, per submitted orders?

So, Northern Lance, what are we thinking? Don't think there's much more delaying the matter, 'Sag' to charge the Stone Rhino? Could use some support, what does the Battlemaster want to do? Keep heading south, or spend a turn or two to put down the Stone Rhino? Bear in mind, the Epona from the North will be down our necks next turn.

'Hata', looks like that Summoner is asking you out to the Big Barn Dance?

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Besides that Summoner, I also have an Epona hiding between my feet. My kneejerk move is to move to 1120 facing south so I don't give anything my back, and put two racks of missles into the Epona on 6s. Part of me wants to put one PPC on the Summoner as a secondary target, the other part wants me to not trust the dice and just focus on the tank even though odds are pretty good of taking off that turret with just missiles.

Edit: Wait, no, that doesn't work anyway, I can't torso twist that far. I guess one PPC and one set of SRMs for the tank. Alternatively just hit the Summoner and let the tank limp along, but even crippled it can still keep up with assaults pretty well.

Yakumo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 7, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

Besides that Summoner, I also have an Epona hiding between my feet. My kneejerk move is to move to 1120 facing south so I don't give anything my back, and put two racks of missles into the Epona on 6s. Part of me wants to put one PPC on the Summoner as a secondary target, the other part wants me to not trust the dice and just focus on the tank even though odds are pretty good of taking off that turret with just missiles.

Edit: Wait, no, that doesn't work anyway, I can't torso twist that far. I guess one PPC and one set of SRMs for the tank. Alternatively just hit the Summoner and let the tank limp along, but even crippled it can still keep up with assaults pretty well.

I like the idea of trying to put down that tank, one less loose end in the backfield; once its down, you can focus on the Summoner; I would split fire, one SRM-6 and PPC each on both targets.

Think of how heroic it would look on the news-vid! :)

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

I like the idea of trying to put down that tank, one less loose end in the backfield; once its down, you can focus on the Summoner; I would split fire, one SRM-6 and PPC each on both targets.

Think of how heroic it would look on the news-vid! :)

Not a good idea with my heat profile. I can't even move and fire both PPCs without gaining some heat. I could fire a set of SRMs at the Summoner but the hit numbers would suck. 10 or 11 as a secondary, I think? I'd have to pull up the tables. Not worth it for a weapon that uses ammo.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

If the Mauler stays in the duel and that Balius aims high with those 8 heavy small lasers, it hits on a TH of 7. So an average of 4.67 hits. 6 is a pilot kill on average.
Can't get out with just 2 rear MP though. Might as well stay and hope it wins a kick duel?

Does PTN allow reckless backing up? That'd put you outside the minimum range, although the Gargoyle could torso twist and get some guns on you.

---

Wouldn't it be better if northern lance all avoided LoS with the Stone Rhino by charging southeastwards and hiding behind the building at 1120, 1121 and 1220?
I don't think anyone even has to show their backs.
The Stone Rhino might fire on Luthien AW, but the Summoner refrained this round, some mild LoS skipping might be fine.

---

3 hexes away from the storage tank huh? That's quite wide.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 7, 2017

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

RA Rx posted:

Wouldn't it be better if northern lance all avoided LoS with the Stone Rhino by charging southeastwards and hiding behind the building at 1120, 1121 and 1220?
I don't think anyone even has to show their backs.

Battlemaster here, next turn is going to be tricky. I don't believe I have the movement to get to 1321 due to rubble+height change, which unfortunately means that I'll be stuck moving through that next turn.

I think 1121 and threaten the southern Epona, he'd be at a distance of 5 to alpha everything short of the small laser. This would also allow the Hatamoto-Chi to go to 1120 and torso twist facing 1121 and fire on either the Epona or Glass Spider.

Thoughts?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

---
---

I would think so, yes, except the thread has this hard-on for taking on the Stone Rhino, and I don't want to be snarked-at again for the next two day.

Ideally, I'd say the Battlemaster and 'Hata' run and hide behind the H17 building while firing down south, while 'Sag' jumps to 0520 and engages the Summoner (with the objective of swinging west around the dropship).

RA Rx posted:

3 hexes away from the storage tank huh? That's quite wide.

Yep. Rules from TO states its base damage from the explosion (depends on what's inside the tank) x the radius of the explosion (volume of what's in the tank) per hex you're away from the tank.

So, if its a 'volatile chemical' (base 15 damage), at a 3 radius explosion, that's 3 x 15 = 45 damage if you're right beside it, 2 x 15 if you're two hexes away, etc.

Since I don't have the numbers to work out the actual numbers, I would say 3 hexes is the minimal 'safe' distance.

Jew it to it! posted:

I think 1121 and threaten the southern Epona, he'd be at a distance of 5 to alpha everything short of the small laser. This would also allow the Hatamoto-Chi to go to 1120 and torso twist facing 1121 and fire on either the Epona or Glass Spider.

Thoughts?

I like it, you two keep heading south, while 'Sag' swings wide to the west, take on the Summoner while keeping range from the Stone Rhino, and keep Peter Rabbit'ing down South.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Didn't seem to be the thread as much as like 1 or 2 people who really cared a lot.

It's your decision. Whatever that is. :)

Jew it to it! posted:

Battlemaster here, next turn is going to be tricky. I don't believe I have the movement to get to 1321 due to rubble+height change, which unfortunately means that I'll be stuck moving through that next turn.

Thoughts?

Definitely a good idea to take some more of their lighter weapon platforms off the table. Blue team is starting to sustain heavy armor damage and those missiles could find their mark.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 7, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Where are all the crits, or do no one sustain any?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

Didn't seem to be the thread as much as like 1-2 people who really cared a lot.

It's your decision. Whatever that is. :)

Thanks Friend. :)

If Battlemaster and 'Hata' keeps pushing South as stated while hiding behind the H17 building, then 'Sag' will swing west (I do love me a good right hook advance!) while taking on the Summoner (and giving the Stone Rhino something to shoot at).

Only concern is that the Stone Rhino jumps down to 1519 next turn and cuts off the advance.

Unfortunately, with the rough terrain around 1220, all three 'mechs can't hide behind the H17 and not be in each other's way.

Back Hack posted:

Where are all the crits, or do no one sustain any?

Only crits sustained were on the Epona, the rest weren't 'stick'.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 7, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, I miscalculated that.

Seems only 1020 blocks LoS (and maybe 0921), both are outside MG range. 0520 gets a kick.

On the other hand the Stone Rhino might decide to shoot Luthien AW if it gets frustrated. The Summoner didn't this round, so it's probably a fair bet they won't unless a lance hides from more than one mech.
Just my two cents though.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 7, 2017

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The advantage of going after the Stone Rhino is that it is really slow, is sitting on a +0 move mod, always loses initiative, and gauss rifles have a minimum range. Once you get close you can take advantage of initiative to prevent it from ever bringing full firepower to bear, at which point it melts really fast.

In comparison the Summoner has a lot more close ranged firepower, is sitting on a +3 move modifier, and can easily jump away and escape if it feels threatened.

Down south, we put a hurting on the Glass Spider, so one more turn should put it down. My mech is looking exceptionally vulnerable though, so I probably won't want to make myself the target again.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 7, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

KnoxZone posted:

The advantage of going after the Stone Rhino is that it is really slow, is sitting on a +0 move mod, always loses initiative, and gauss rifles have a minimum range. Once you get close you can take advantage of initiative to prevent it from ever bringing full firepower to bear, at which point it melts really fast.

I get that, and, if the 'Sag' closes with the Stone Rhino, next turn, it'll be trapped between the Summoner (which will jump 5 and close the 'gate' behind me), the H17 building, the H6 storage tank, the Stone Rhino, and the Epona closing from the North. At that point, I might just detonate the storage tank myself to taken them down with me, objective or otherwise.

Again, my original plan wasn't ever to take down the Stone Rhino; just isolate and run past it to get down south.

Hmmm, interesting, now that I think about it, detonating the H6 storage tank at 1015 'might' set off sympathetic explosions in the two M2 tanks, and by extension, the other H6 in 1611?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Seems like if you are going to get in the stone rhinos grill now is the time to do it, you can get to 1216 which puts you in range to give it quite a light show. After which no matter where it moves you can jump to be to one side and stay out of the way of a large part of its fire power.

On the other hand if you go for something else (triple team the summoner?) you will probably want to bring some friends to the stone rhino brawl

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Blowing up the storage tank will also lose you the mission, since avoiding damage to them is a primary objective.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

With this most recent turn the northern mechs actually look weaker both in terms of damage and position right now.

If both the tanks die and the Mauler doesn't get headshot this round (hopefully the enemy doesn't use aiming high) it'll actually be 5-0. Extremely impressive, considering how badly Goonforce has been outnumbered.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 7, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

CourValant posted:

I get that, and, if the 'Sag' closes with the Stone Rhino, next turn, it'll be trapped between the Summoner (which will jump 5 and close the 'gate' behind me), the H17 building, the H6 storage tank, the Stone Rhino, and the Epona closing from the North. At that point, I might just detonate the storage tank myself to taken them down with me, objective or otherwise.

Again, my original plan wasn't ever to take down the Stone Rhino; just isolate and run past it to get down south.

Hmmm, interesting, now that I think about it, detonating the H6 storage tank at 1015 'might' set off sympathetic explosions in the two M2 tanks, and by extension, the other H6 in 1611?

It can't really "close the gate" in your terms without exposing itself to the other two assaults. And blowing the tanks is probably a bad idea.

That said, the Stone Rhino parking does give an opportunity to maybe bypass. If you do engage the Summoner instead, stay at range 3, however you do it - getting the kick probably isn't worth letting it get the extra MG damage and it keeps your spacing nice and neat. Straight S and popping the Summoner also puts you, at most, a turn from maybe achieving the 1st primary if the South lance can accommodate.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm not going to backseat drive anybody but removing an assault with pulse lasers and twin gauss rifles is generally a good idea, especially if you can engage on favorable terms before it forces the issue and makes you engage on unfavorable terms. I'm not saying you literally must engage it this turn, but I think playing with the assumption that you are going to engage it eventually is probably wise. I mean, you'll probably engage everything on the field eventually.

as long as all the players coordinate and know that when it comes time to go and make the big play everybody goes in, you'll be fine. Play the objective first, gloryhound second :)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

. . . if you do engage the Summoner instead, stay at range 3, however you do it - getting the kick probably isn't worth letting it get the extra MG damage and it keeps your spacing nice and neat. Straight S and popping the Summoner also puts you, at most, a turn from maybe achieving the 1st primary if the South lance can accommodate.

Good point about the MGs, I might just jump to 0921, facing 0922, and fire at the Summoner (range 4). Forgot that the Star Commander is pristine.

Psion posted:

. . . play the objective first, gloryhound second :)

That's generally been my thinking; rushing the Stone Rhino, because its :black101: and the 'Sag' is packing a chainsaw to a knife fight, isn't as interesting to me as ensuring my lance-mates make it onto open terrain and that Hanse is safe.

Yes, I know its not an objective; I'm thinking about the story narrative and being a Captain of his Personal Guard.

@Southern Flank: I know you're starting to get beat up; if the Northern Elements are continuing to push down the center, any thoughts on coming out to meet us in a turn or two?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Taking out the Stone Rhino seems pretty darn critical to the objective.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Artificer posted:

It's tricky - it staying still this turn creates the ability to create some extra space, OR to bum rush it. The situation is such that I'm not sure either is necessarily better, since the Summoner is at worst the second biggest threat, itself.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Don't forget there's still an Epona with a bunch of pulse lasers sitting in my hex if you're thinking about going after the Summoner. There's not a lot of places you can engage and not be in prime firing position for one of them.

My opinion with all your bonuses that you should close to short range with the Stone Rhino and either aim high to abuse it's weak head armor, or low to burn the leg armor down. Low is probably safer since you're still not extremely likely to hit the head aiming high, but it'll probably take at least two turns to chew through the armor to the tasty internals. Since it didn't move, you'll still be hitting on something like 5 even with you needing to run to short range. 3 base+2 run-1 tarcomp-1 improved target short-1 pulse+3 aim high/low.

The Summoner has a +3 move mod and has all those machine guns looking to crit your open torso if you want to close to your best range.

I'm assuming with this that you actually should be facing 0918, though, and can run to range 3 and still turn so you don't give the Summoner backshots. If that's not right this might not be the best plan.

Yakumo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 7, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

Don't forget there's still an Epona with a bunch of pulse lasers sitting in my hex if you're thinking about going after the Summoner. There's not a lot of places you can engage and not be in prime firing position for one of them.

Haven't forgotten about him; thanks to PTN's fluff he'll probably haunt my dreams as personification of all those poor tank crews we torched. He'll have shots on us/me, not much we can do about it other than to take him out; at least he has reduced mobility.

Yakumo posted:

My opinion with all your bonuses that you should close to short range with the Stone Rhino and either aim high to abuse it's weak head armor, or low to burn the leg armor down. Low is probably safer since you're still not extremely likely to hit the head aiming high, but it'll probably take at least two turns to chew through the armor to the tasty internals. Since it didn't move, you'll still be hitting on something like 5 even with you needing to run to short range. 3 base+2 run-1 tarcomp-1 improved target short-1 pulse+3 aim high/low.

If I choose this route I'll aim high and hope to get lucky with the dice; 'Sag' will be running to 1316 and Alpha Striking all forward weapons, aiming high (I'm assuming PTN will fix the facing, as my orders where to face 0918 last turn).

Yakumo posted:

The Summoner has a +3 move mod and has all those machine guns looking to crit your open torso if you want to close to your best range.

I've reconsidered; other option is to jump to 0921, facing 0922, and fire at the Summoner (range 4). I don't want to close to within 3 and let it crit seek with all those MGs.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Artificer posted:

If we interpret the objectives literally the Draconic Suns win when they link up, and there's not much the Rhino can do before the next 2-3 rounds if Goonforce avoids LoS this round, except fire at Luthien AW.

Word of caution, those Eponas could both get lucky and survive this round, if they're contingent primary targets on survival that's a lot less likely.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 7, 2017

• Locked thread