Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
If the Sagitaire bumrushes the Stone Rhino this round, I don't see any way for the Summoner to 'close the gate' so to say. If it jumps straight in behind the Sagitaire, it can simply jump 3 to break LoS to the Summoner. Further more, any attempt to do that leaves its rear open to at least 2 of the Assaults or leaves it in a position where the Sag could jump over it and get in its rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, my options are:
1. 1734 or 1632, and knee-cap the HO. The first gives my better protection from his shots, the latter prevents him from kicking.
2. Charge forward to 1431 and finish off the glass spider with a 3 to hit with AC - if my lance-mates need my help.
3. Hold position - will give my better numbers against the glass spider, due to staying at medium range (will he even bother shooting me, and not focus on the naginata?), and I think against the HO too, because of the woods blocking.

KnoxZone posted:

Down south, we put a hurting on the Glass Spider, so one more turn should put it down. My mech is looking exceptionally vulnerable though, so I probably won't want to make myself the target again.
And I don't think you can put his to-hit below 5. And even if he does not shoot you, I think the epona will.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

RA Rx posted:

If we interpret the objectives literally the Draconic Suns win when they link up, and there's not much the Rhino can do before the next 2-3 rounds if Goonforce avoids LoS this round, except fire at Luthien AW.

I very much doubt that PTN would end the scenario right when the two forces link up, more likely you'd have to destroy or drive off the attacking Clan forces here in order to fully secure Isoroku. However, since his entire Lance has to be rendered incapable to fight in order for you guys to fail that objective according to PTN's last comments on that point, I'm not really sure.

Mauler stand and deliver resulted in mutual head shots with the Balius, though neither pilot passed out, so I guess that's a wash. Not really sure who came off worse in that exchange, so I dunno.

Decent hurt the GoonDavionGuards put on that Epona there, should have one member put it out of its misery while the rest including the Sagittare go for the Stone Rhino, it's in a decent position to be taken down. The Summoner is concerning, but it should be fine to put off dealing with this turn if it means the Stone Rhino goes down.

Decent hits on the Glass Spider by GoonSword this turn, though those aimed high shots from the Jagermech didn't quite work out there. If they did, or those shots hadn't been aimed high and you were lucky on hit placements, that mech would've been down for the count here. Shame the dice luck hadn't held. Oh well, hope you guys down there can end its threat this turn and continue to move on.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

I think 1121 and threaten the southern Epona, he'd be at a distance of 5 to alpha everything short of the small laser. This would also allow the Hatamoto-Chi to go to 1120 and torso twist facing 1121 and fire on either the Epona or Glass Spider.

Thoughts?

@Battlemaster and 'Hata'

Any additional deliberations on movement and targeting for next turn? Or, are you liking '1121' and '1120' for the Battlemaster and 'Hata', respectively? Also, sounds like fire will be going down South, and not at the Summoner or Northern Epona?

Would you rather the 'Sag' accompany you, or go and try to pop that Stone Rhino?

Have to admit, all the 'Sag' pulse/TC/short range perks, plus a 0 movement modifier on the Stone Rhino, makes it very tempting to run to range 2, aim high, and unload all forward weapons.

And that, as I see it, is the entire problem. It feels like I'm being baited. It feels like a trap.

The Stone Rhino could have moved, it didn't. It also knows I can't run to within minimum range of those Gauss Rifles (range 2), so as much as its staring down my barrels, I'm looking at nickel-ferro slugs through my cockpit glass as well.

Then there's the Summoner, Eponas, and the Stone Rhino all surrounding me once I run in.

. . . if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck . . .

CourValant fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 8, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GhostStalker posted:

I very much doubt that PTN would end the scenario right when the two forces link up, more likely you'd have to destroy or drive off the attacking Clan forces here in order to fully secure Isoroku. However, since his entire Lance has to be rendered incapable to fight in order for you guys to fail that objective according to PTN's last comments on that point, I'm not really sure.

Mauler stand and deliver resulted in mutual head shots with the Balius, though neither pilot passed out, so I guess that's a wash. Not really sure who came off worse in that exchange, so I dunno.

Decent hurt the GoonDavionGuards put on that Epona there, should have one member put it out of its misery while the rest including the Sagittare go for the Stone Rhino, it's in a decent position to be taken down. The Summoner is concerning, but it should be fine to put off dealing with this turn if it means the Stone Rhino goes down.

Decent hits on the Glass Spider by GoonSword this turn, though those aimed high shots from the Jagermech didn't quite work out there. If they did, or those shots hadn't been aimed high and you were lucky on hit placements, that mech would've been down for the count here. Shame the dice luck hadn't held. Oh well, hope you guys down there can end its threat this turn and continue to move on.

The Balius missed the kick somehow, so the Mauler definitely won.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

CourValant posted:

@Battlemaster and 'Hata'

Any additional deliberations on movement and targeting for next turn? Or, are you liking '1121' and '1120' for the Battlemaster and 'Hata', respectively? Also, sounds like fire will be going down South, and not at the Summoner or Northern Epona?

Would you rather the 'Sag' accompany you, or go and try to pop that Stone Rhino?

Have to admit, all the 'Sag' pulse/TC/short range perks, plus a 0 movement modifier on the Stone Rhino, makes it very tempting to run to range 2, aim high, and unload all forward weapons.

And that, as I see it, is the entire problem. It feels like I'm being baited. It feels like a trap.

The Stone Rhino could have moved, it didn't. It also knows I can't run to within minimum range of those Gauss Rifles (range 2), so as much as its staring down my barrels, I'm looking at nickel-ferro slugs through my cockpit glass as well.

Then there's the Summoner, Eponas, and the Stone Rhino all surrounding me once I run in.

. . . if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck . . .

I am still planning on going to 1121 or 1220 facing south so that we can start relieving pressure on the southern lance. They are at 3 vs 3 parity but a bad round could end that quickly.

However, as I am looking at my move for the following turn things get dicey in regards to the terrain as the dropship trench will slow down our movement.

Which gives me one other option of charging at the Rhino at 1416 and unloading everything on it. If we get a killshot then I can move to 1519 next turn and only be a couple hexes off with no trench to cross.

Or, comedy option, after killing the Stone Rhino we tear off his arms to use as makeshift pontoons. They're certainly wide enough for a mech bridge.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

I am still planning on going to 1121 or 1220 facing south so that we can start relieving pressure on the southern lance. They are at 3 vs 3 parity but a bad round could end that quickly.

However, as I am looking at my move for the following turn things get dicey in regards to the terrain as the dropship trench will slow down our movement.

The trench isn't that big or deep; it'll take you a turn to cross, if you want to go that route? If the 'Sag' keeps the Northern OPFOR busy, you shouldn't have any issues making it across.

Jew it to it! posted:

Which gives me one other option of charging at the Rhino at 1416 and unloading everything on it. If we get a killshot then I can move to 1519 next turn and only be a couple hexes off with no trench to cross.

This would make the thread happy, if nothing else. There is something to it though, if 'Sag', Battlemaster, and 'Hata' all unload on the Stone Rhino, heat curve be damned, we could outright take it down, if not at the very least make it fall down.

Then there's just the Summoner left. And the Eponas.

As the Summoner is engaging us, the pressure is more or less off the South. Just, stay 3 hexes away from that storage tank.

@Battlemaster: So, Hanse, my Coordinator-Prince, what do you want to do? :)

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The pressure is definitely higher on the northern mechs now, which are also slightly more damaged. As the northern rescue force will be hit from 2 flanks and take the majority of the fire from this round and the next few rounds it might be 2 northern mechs dying first, most likely the rearguard and one of the three in the center.

I think aiming high is a bit overrated, unless one has headcappers or the enemy head is already damaged, or the final TH is about average or better. Dividing the TH percentage after the +4 by /6 for headcaps and another /2 yields a high-payoff low-chance gamble.

In the case of the Balius and the Mauler aiming high gives both a massive kill chance on the other, advantage the Balius with 8 weapons before overheating. Might be the time to disable the safety on those LRMs if its possible to aim high with them.
If both stand and deliver and fire as many weapons as heat will allow (unlikely, but just as a base), then the Balius will hit 7.25 times while the Mauler hits 4.87 (assuming the LRMs can't be hotloaded). Divide by 6 multiplying the 0.833 kill chance by the number of hits and... 43% the Balius dies, and 57% chance the Mauler dies.
Backing up changes the aim-high THs from 7-7 to 8-9, subtracts the kicking duel and also the Gargoyle gets two ERLLs and 1 SL.

Hopefully the Balius pilot doesn't think of the possibility. It's a clanner after all.
If the LRMs can be declared hotloaded this mission, and if they can aim high (and don't suffer an additional TH penalty from being hotloaded) it might be worth using them despite the high probability of an ammo explosion from the Balius' HSL fire.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 9, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can the Mauler walk backwards 3? That would get it out of range of those Heavy SLs for a turn...

The Battlemaster is down to 7 Left Torso Internals.

It looks to me like the Sag, Hata, and Battlemaster can all get out of sight of the Stone Rhino (behind the H17) where they could also unload on either two different Eponas and the Summoner. That sounds wisest to me because it reduces the incoming fire that they can receive and allows them to focus fire on something that they want to eliminate. The Summoner and the Stone Rhino are pristine so why bother shooting them this round? Focus down those Eponas and get out of dodge, which also gets you closer to achieving the objective of linking up. You could also try to unload PPCs on the rear of the Glass Spider, I think?

Also if you move out of its sight you may force the Stone Rhino to move and maybe it will get close enough to flank it rather than staring down its bigass guns.

edit: The side of the Epona in 1224 is the side that got hit by the Hunchback's Heavy Assault gun...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 8, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can the Mauler walk backwards 3? That would get it out of range of those Heavy SLs for a turn...

The Battlemaster is down to 7 Left Torso Internals.

It looks to me like the Sag, Hata, and Battlemaster can all get out of sight of the Stone Rhino (behind the H17) where they could also unload on either two different Eponas and the Summoner. That sounds wisest to me because it reduces the incoming fire that they can receive and allows them to focus fire on something that they want to eliminate. The Summoner and the Stone Rhino are pristine so why bother shooting them this round? Focus down those Eponas and get out of dodge, which also gets you closer to achieving the objective of linking up. You could also try to unload PPCs on the rear of the Glass Spider, I think?

Also if you move out of its sight you may force the Stone Rhino to move and maybe it will get close enough to flank it rather than staring down its bigass guns.

edit: The side of the Epona in 1224 is the side that got hit by the Hunchback's Heavy Assault gun...

The Mauler can't back up 3 because it overheated, it's down to a 2/3 from a 3/5. At 4 or less overheat it could have backed 3.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It looks to me like the Sag, Hata, and Battlemaster can all get out of sight of the Stone Rhino (behind the H17) where they could also unload on either two different Eponas and the Summoner. That sounds wisest to me because it reduces the incoming fire that they can receive and allows them to focus fire on something that they want to eliminate.

I had thought between our low move and the rough terrain, not all 3 'mechs can stack up behind the H17 building.

However, if I take the 'facing gimme' from PTN (last turn orders should have had the 'Sag' facing 0918), Northern Lance could do the following:

Battlemaster to 1121
'Hata' to 1120
'Sag' to 1220

'Hata' and 'Sag' to fire down south, Battlemaster to finish off that western Epona?

@Battlemaster and 'Hata': what do ya'll feel like doing? Pushing south while we still can, or try to pop the Stone Rhino?

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

I had thought between our low move and the rough terrain, not all 3 'mechs can stack up behind the H17 building.

However, if I take the 'facing gimme' from PTN (last turn orders should have had the 'Sag' facing 0918), Northern Lance could do the following:

Battlemaster to 1121
'Hata' to 1120
'Sag' to 1220

'Hata' and 'Sag' to fire down south, Battlemaster to finish off that western Epona?

@Battlemaster and 'Hata': what do ya'll feel like doing? Pushing south while we still can, or try to pop the Stone Rhino?

I'm trying not to be a jackass about this like some people, but you have a really bad habit of changing your whole plan on a dime because one person suggested doing things another way. Do you honestly think that's a better idea, or are you just easily influenced? I wish you would say what you think about the plan you're trying to implement and why you want to do it rather than just deciding where to go for it to work, you know?

I think the first thing you need to do is ask PTN which direction you're facing so that you know for sure what your options are. My plan is still to get to 1120 and fire what weapons I can at the Epona in my current hex. I have to work tonight but I'll be back a bit before the deadline so I can make adjustments if you have a better idea and can tell me why it's a better idea.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

I'm trying not to be a jackass about this like some people, but you have a really bad habit of changing your whole plan on a dime because one person suggested doing things another way. Do you honestly think that's a better idea, or are you just easily influenced? I wish you would say what you think about the plan you're trying to implement and why you want to do it rather than just deciding where to go for it to work, you know?

You're not being a jackass, its a fair question and I'll give a fair answer.

I'm discussing options with you and the Battlemaster; if we are to keep pushing south, we need to make sure we don't get into each other's way, which is why I listed out the hex options in my last post.

The overall plan was to get the 'Hata' and Battlemaster onto open terrain, and have you two push south while 'Sag' covers the advance, all the while isolating and bypassing the Stone Rhino.

(unfortunate that the Mauler got isolated up North).

If we're all of a mind to keep pushing South, I would like to do so, as I did say it feels like the Stone Rhino is baiting me (us).

That said, the Battlemaster also said it might want to swing to North of the H17 to bypass rough terrain.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure we moved as one, and that no one felt left out of the discussion.

Yakumo posted:

I think the first thing you need to do is ask PTN which direction you're facing so that you know for sure what your options are.

I did ask, several times (posted here in thread since the update) haven't seen a response from him either way.

Yakumo posted:

My plan is still to get to 1120 and fire what weapons I can at the Epona in my current hex. I have to work tonight but I'll be back a bit before the deadline so I can make adjustments if you have a better idea and can tell me why it's a better idea.

I don't have a better idea, which is why I wanted to ask for people to comment here; at first blush it didn't think all 3 of us can hide behind the H17; AAAAA! Real Muenster's comment made me take a second look, and I'm glad I did (assuming that the 'Sag' is facing 0919).

I like the idea of all 3 of use moving south, out of LOS of the Stone Rhino, more than engaging that 'mech, or 'Sag' jumping to midfield (0921).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

I did ask, several times (posted here in thread since the update) haven't seen a response from him either way.

To what?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
South lance:
Are you two killing that glass spider, or you prefer I take care of it? Personally, I want to go after the HO, but I also think we need to bury the GS now, so.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Facing for the 'Sag'; orders from the previous turn should have had it facing 0918, as opposed to its current facing 0919.

Except, facing 0919 would be more beneficial to my movement this coming turn, so, wanted to get a decision on whether the error stands (facing 0919), or if we're keeping it honest (0918)?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gun Jam posted:

South lance:
Are you two killing that glass spider, or you prefer I take care of it? Personally, I want to go after the HO, but I also think we need to bury the GS now, so.

Glass Spider is wounded, but not crippled yet. Let's not risk it surviving because we divided our firepower. Once that is gone the HO should be easy pickings.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I will focus on the Spider.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"You know, Al, sometimes late in a rough game like this, your players start to wear down a little bit. That's one of the times where coaching really comes into play - you've gotta find ways to keep players fresh and avoid injuries. It's better to have your stars get spelled for a play, or to try to use the other side of the field a bit, rather than lose a guy for the rest of the game or maybe even the season. Everyone's a little dinged up right now, but that's something you expect when you play against a defense like this - old-school football means you need to bring some toughness. What's going to be real important for the offense right now is to be in control of their positioning and facing - keep their weak sides pointed away from the rush. You don't want to have a guy lose a torso or a leg if you can help it."

"The, uh, well the real good news though is that as much as that applies for the offense, it's even more for the defense too, and they're running out of bodies right now. Combine that with the positioning right now and guys are going to keep dropping. If the offense can keep creating mismatches in blocking then that will keep happening."

"One thing is for sure: if you're watching this game, you're seeing the value of having some real playmakers and letting them just do their thing. Some guys can really just take control of a game when it counts and I think that might just be what we're looking at right here."

[madden mode: OFF]

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

KnoxZone posted:

Glass Spider is wounded, but not crippled yet. Let's not risk it surviving because we divided our firepower. Once that is gone the HO should be easy pickings.

Given that he got 5 CT armor left, I'm a bit more confident that only two of us are needed, but coming from me it doesn't say much.
I think it's best that I go to 1632, because a 4 to-hit without cover is still scary, even if I'm giving him cover and medium range. And while not the knee-cap I want to do, a free kick is still nice.
E: Or I could hold position, which gives me better numbers - not running gives me better AC and equal ML, and I'm trading the movement mod to not being in his short range.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 9, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Facing for the 'Sag'; orders from the previous turn should have had it facing 0918, as opposed to its current facing 0919.

Well, poo poo. If you'd jumped facing 0918 I would've shot you in the back with the Summoner, so if 0919 is more beneficial this turn it'll stay as-is.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, poo poo. If you'd jumped facing 0918 I would've shot you in the back with the Summoner, so if 0919 is more beneficial this turn it'll stay as-is.

. . . everything's coming up Milhouse!!!

Thanks. :)

Is that rear-shot positioning the Summoner had from last turn? You're the final arbiter, of course; my mistake, which I just realized, is thinking that the crashed drop-ship has a height component, when in fact its clear at H0. Whoops.

Looks like Northern Flank is 'Fury Road'ing' it up this turn to finish the mission shiny and chrome.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CourValant posted:

Battlemaster to 1121
'Hata' to 1120
'Sag' to 1220

Since the Stone Rhino hasn't moved it's opened up the possibility to ignore it for a turn and, since there's a pair of Eponas and a Summoner breathing down your necks, that's not a bad thing. Both Fraction Jackson and AAAAA! Real Muenster support the idea. That said, while this particular set of movement orders allows all three assaults to escape the Stone Rhino's LOS, it does mean your only option for shooting the Epona under Yakumo's legs will be the Sagittaire's two rear-mounted MPLs. You guys can honestly handle getting backshot for a turn if it means getting into a better position later, though. You could put firing orders on the Glass Spider with a contingency to hit the Summoner since, while it's pristine now, it will probably have to be taken down or else it'll punish any push south even harder than an Epona can. It's an agile and heavily-armed knife-fighter but, and this is important to note, slightly under-armored for its weight. Which means it's a bit of a glass cannon, not to mention it probably has an XL engine which means, under the current test houserules, any popped torso is a mission kill. Note that the Ha Otoko is five tons lighter but has more armor, and probably has a standard engine on top of that. If you do decide eating a turn of fire from the Stone Rhino is an acceptable risk, the Sagittaire can absolutely end Yonit's Epona right now if you wanted to (with a gamble to split fire onto the Summoner if you were worried about overkilling the Epona, since a single hit with just about anything to its turret is enough to take it out).

Either you or Yakumo will have to be out in the open for this to work, as jumping allows you to face any direction you want but you can only jump to 1120 if you wanted to stay out of the Stone Rhino's LOS, blocking Yakumo's path, or you could mosey to 1020, which leaves you in the Rhino's LOS but lets Yakumo proceed safely. If you do decide to pop the Epona you two will have to decide who's going to get shot, but remember Yonit's got balls of steel and he's not going to give up if you don't take him down. Who knows, maybe a lucky shot from one of two MPLs will be enough. Again, a single hit with anything to the turret will take it out.

As an aside, since it's been brought up: remember, a head hit from a shooting attack is a single result out of thirty-six possible results on a 2d6 roll. That means it's a 2.77% chance of happening just on the hit location table alone, setting aside the need to actually land the to-hit roll to begin with. It's a low enough chance that, frankly, you shouldn't plan around it happening. You should however prepare to groan when it does happen because Battletech is still Battletech, but this advice is merely to come to terms with the possibility of dice bullshit instead of letting one's fear of dice bullshit dictate your terms of engagement.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 9, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Is that rear-shot positioning the Summoner had from last turn?

Nah, just wishful thinking on my part.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Xarbala posted:

As an aside, since it's been brought up: remember, a head hit from a shooting attack is a single result out of thirty-six possible results on a 2d6 roll. That means it's a 2.77% chance of happening just on the hit location table alone, setting aside the need to actually land the to-hit roll to begin with. It's a low enough chance that, frankly, you shouldn't plan around it happening. You should however prepare to groan when it does happen because Battletech is still Battletech, but this advice is merely to come to terms with the possibility of dice bullshit instead of letting one's fear of dice bullshit dictate your terms of engagement.

Fear [of dice bullshittery] is the mind-killer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fraction Jackson posted:

Fear [of dice bullshittery] is the mind-killer.
Great Name + Av + Post combo

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ok, sticking with the original plan of advancing to 1121, torso twist facing 1122 and unloading on the Epona A #1 minus the small laser.

It still puts me at risk of a shot in the back from the Summoner but I think it's worth the risk to get into clear terrain next turn. Granted, I'll end up next to M2 and someone will turn that into a molotov cocktail Kuritan PPC.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 9, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Ok, sticking with the original plan of advancing to 1220, torso twist facing 1221 and unloading on the Epona A #1 minus the small laser.

Wait, did you submit orders already? Can you advance to 1121 instead? The only place I can advance and hide at the same time is 1220, otherwise, I'm exposed to all OPFOR.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Updated to 1121.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
What are you firing at, CourValant? I was double checking something and realized I misread the firing arc rules and I can only target the north Epona with one PPC. You might want to assist with your rear mounted lasers if you can spare the heat. Alternately I can just start firing on the Summoner and leave the Epona for a turn and hope we can get some better positioning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yakumo posted:

What are you firing at, CourValant? I was double checking something and realized I misread the firing arc rules and I can only target the north Epona with one PPC. You might want to assist with your rear mounted lasers if you can spare the heat. Alternately I can just start firing on the Summoner and leave the Epona for a turn and hope we can get some better positioning.

You do have a few options, though I expect the person best situated to remove Yonit's Epona is probably Cour, though how much firepower he can dedicate to the task depends on whether or not either you or he might be willing to take a vulnerable position this turn to ensure he can the Epona in his firing arc. Either way, you'll be in a decent position to pick your own targets, which probably won't include the Epona.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Xarbala posted:

You do have a few options, though I expect the person best situated to remove Yonit's Epona is probably Cour, though how much firepower he can dedicate to the task depends on whether or not either you or he might be willing to take a vulnerable position this turn to ensure he can the Epona in his firing arc. Either way, you'll be in a decent position to pick your own targets, which probably won't include the Epona.

I wouldn't necessarily mind leaving myself exposed, I'm barely damaged. The problem is that I can't really find another good place for me to go without giving something my back or getting stuck behind the group. That fluff isn't lying. Do you have any suggestions that I might have missed?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yakumo posted:

I wouldn't necessarily mind leaving myself exposed, I'm barely damaged. The problem is that I can't really find another good place for me to go without giving something my back or getting stuck behind the group. That fluff isn't lying. Do you have any suggestions that I might have missed?

Running to 1020 puts the Epona right on the border of your side and rear arcs and, according to the rules, in this situation the defender gets to choose which arc the shooter hits. Usually this defaults to the side arc though if you really wanted to you could tell PTN you're denying the rear arc, not that you'll need to since he's a reasonable guy.

Actually, taking out a ruler, I think it also denies the Stone Rhino LOS because a straight line to hex 1020 i think clips the corner of hex 1219.

Lemme doublecheck:

PTN, does the Stone Rhino have LOS to 1020?

Edit: Actually the question's a bit moot now lol

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 9, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Updated to 1121.

Thank you, much appreciated. :) If you move to 1121 and face 1221, Battlemaster should be able to reach 1322 next turn.

Jew it to it! posted:

. . . a molotov cocktail Kuritan PPC.

Never got the point of a Kuritan PPC; might as well just make it all parts Everclear. The Davion version is what I prefer, 2 oz Bourbon or Tequila.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, just wishful thinking on my part.

:colbert:

Xarbala posted:

. . . will be the Sagittaire's two rear-mounted MPLs.

Thanks, great tip! It would be a shame to go the whole mission and not fire those rear mounted MPLs; I knew they were there for a reason! :)

Xarbala posted:

Yep, Yep, and Yep.

Yakumo posted:

Gotcha covered Lance-Buddy (as much as I can with heat in mind; want to keep the thermals down as I think next turn will be rather heat intensive), please see orders as follows.

Orders Submitted

'Sag' will run to 1220, and fire x2 LPL and x1 MPL at the Epona A#1 in 1224, and x2 MPL (rear facing) at the Epona Prime #2 in 0817.

If the Epona Prime #2 in 0817 is mission killed, instead fire the x2 MPL (rear facing) at the Summoner in 0521.

If the Epona A#1 in 1224 is mission killed, instead fire x1 LPL and x1 ER PPC at the Glass Spider in 1528.

Captain Dupont will mutter to herself, “. . . and now, for my next trick, I'm going to shoot an apple behind my back with this las-pistol, over my shoulder, aiming through a hand-mirror; hope you're watching Hansey-Boy . . . "

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

Gotcha covered Lance-Buddy (as much as I can with heat in mind; want to keep the thermals down as I think next turn will be rather heat intensive), please see orders as follows.

Orders Submitted

'Sag' will run to 1220, and fire x2 LPL and x1 MPL at the Epona A#1 in 1224, and x2 MPL (rear facing) at the Epona Prime #2 in 0817.

If the Epona Prime #2 in 0817 is mission killed, instead fire the x2 MPL (rear facing) at the Summoner in 0521.

If the Epona A#1 in 1224 is mission killed, instead fire x1 LPL and x1 ER PPC at the Glass Spider in 1528.

Captain Dupont will mutter to herself, “. . . and now, for my next trick, I'm going to shoot an apple behind my back with this las-pistol, over my shoulder, aiming through a hand-mirror; hope you're watching Hansey-Boy . . . "

Alright, I'll stick with 1120 for myself then.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Glass Spider has an XL Engine?

So as long as the Hunchback hits any torso location or the head (46% odds after TH 4 and hit locations), it stands a high chance of being killed this turn, or at least losing an arm (71% odds to hit if arms are included). It'll need one additional 1 hit to the CT (7/36 per hit location, or 19.4%, not including TH odds), or 2 hits to the side torsos (5/36 per hit location, or 13.9%, not including TH odds) for a kill. Very good odds, especially with the critseekers on the Naginata.
If the autocannon misses the torsos and head there's still a decent probability of some CT crits or an arm destroyed, and a small chance of torso destruction. Sword of Light has 15 weapons within range, not sure about % of Artemis LRM-15 missile hits with the new rules, but assuming 2.5 hits per, that's about 19-20 potential hits, probably about 12 in practice, or 10 after leg cover.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 9, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

. . . very good odds, especially with the critseekers on the Naginata.

. . . never tell me the odds? :)

What's the name of that Battletech 'smilie' I see from time to time? The one with the missile barrage and the shiny 'mech animation?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 9

Hawk’s uniform steamed beneath his cooling vest, the laser hit to the cockpit hadn’t started anything on fire, but it might’ve. He was all-at-once glad he preferred a little extra insulation between decades or sometimes centuries-old cooling vests and his bare skin. Retreat wasn’t an option, the slow Mauler had already been left behind by the rest of the lance. The longer he kept the horse-like enemy Quad `Mech bottled up, the better for the rest of the lance. Staying around was a risk, his armor was nearly gone and he couldn’t afford to make an alpha strike. Even if the heat of the Mauler’s weapons discharging would cook him alive, it would scramble his targeting computer for long enough that the Quad could finish him off. The enemy machine’s lasers flashed again, and portions of Hawk’s hud flashed from yellow to red. His armor had been breached, but the computer remained silent. No critical damage.

With the flick of a switch he disabled his left-arm laser and squeezed the primary target interlock circuit with his thumb. The button clicked downward in an altogether satisfying fashion, and the brilliant ruby beam of his large laser caught the horse-shaped Clan machine just above the right knee. The last of the armor there flashed to vapor, and the laser’s beam sawed through the structural endo-steel like a bonesaw. Myomer bundles snapped and parted in the intense heat, and the Balius stumbled as the leg kicked out involuntarily. The Clan machine toppled over, its inflexible body smashing down on the concrete. The legs kicked and twitched as the pilot struggled to right it again. There was a reason, Hawk mused, that most quads were squat box-like designs. A ‘tall’ Quad with a high center of gravity like this one would have a lot of difficulty getting its legs under it again.

Not that any veteran of the Chatham campaign would give a Clanner a chance to stand back up. Hawk drove the Mauler’s cloven foot through the front of the machine’s chest. It shuddered, its heat spiking on thermals as he tagged its engine. It jerked suddenly as the pilot tried to jump to his feet again, only to come crashing back down. The impact knocked something vital loose, after a moment bits and pieces of BattleMech began raining down on the concrete as the quad’s gyro tore itself apart.

“That,” Hawk roared, “is for making me work with the damned Snakes!”

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1018!
- Fires PPC at Epona A #1 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires PPC at Epona A #1 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at at Epona A #1 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at at Epona A #1 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at at Epona A #1 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 34!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Epona A #1 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting short - 1 pulse laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Side (4/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Epona A #1 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 improved targeting short - 1 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Front (0/21 armor, 0/5 structure remaining)! Vehicle Destroyed!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Epona A #1 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Rear) at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser (Rear) at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Side (11/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 34!

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Fires PPC at Epona Prime #2 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Rear (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Mauler (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 3): rolled 7, hit Right Front Leg (0/27 armor, 11/15 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Rear Leg (9/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (10/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Front Leg (22/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Balius (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 22!

Hunchback (Player)
- Fires Assault Autocannon at Glass Spider (1 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Glass Spider (1 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 24!

Naginata (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0830!
- Fires ER PPC at Glass Spider (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (5/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 7, 10 missiles hit Left Torso (10/20 armor remaining), Left Torso (5/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Glass Spider (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 30!

JagerMech (Player)
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 2 minimum range = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 2 minimum range = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (0/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Glass Spider (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (0/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20!

Summoner
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0625!
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (17/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 12, hit Rear Center Torso (8/13 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 10, hit Rear Right Torso (4/9 armor remaining)!
- Gains 39 heat, sinks 38!

Ha Otoko
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1633!
- Fires LRM-20 at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 8, 5 missiles hit Left Torso (7/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 13!

Glass Spider
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (6/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/26 armor, 16/20 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20!

Epona A #1
- Fires LRM-20 at Naginata (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, 15 missiles hit Center Torso (30/35 armor remaining), Right Leg (27/32 armor remaining), Left Torso (1/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Naginata (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, 15 missiles hit Right Leg (22/32 armor remaining), Left Torso (0/26 armor, 16/20 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (11/20 structure remaining (Crit!)!

Gargoyle
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 32!

Balius
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (8/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/22 armor, 11/15 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (13/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 4, hit Left Torso (2/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (16/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (8/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (0/26 armor, 15/19 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Heavy Small Laser at Mauler (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (16/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24!

Stone Rhino
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Building Hex 1219 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 0): automatically hit (80/90 CF remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Building Hex 1219 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 0): automatically hit (70/90 CF remaining)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Epona Prime #1
- Holds fire!

Epona Prime #2
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (26/39 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Rear Center Torso (9/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (20/39 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 11, 4 missiles automatically hit Rear Right Torso (8/10 armor remaining), Rear Right Torso (6/10 armor remaining), Rear Left Torso (8/10 armor remaining), Head (6/8 armor remaining)! Pilot hit!

End Phase:
Epona Prime #2
- Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 6, minor damage sustained!

Balius
- Critical chance in Right Front Leg: rolled 9, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Upper leg actuator damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 1 actuator damage - 1 quad = 5): rolled 3, fails!
- - Suffers 6 damage in the fall to Center Torso (17/30 armor remaining), Left Torso (9/20 armor remaining)!

Naginata (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 3, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!

Mauler (Player)
- Critical chance in Left Arm: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 3, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Mauler (Player)
- Kicks Balius (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 kick = 2): Automatically hit Center Torso (0/30 armor, 20/21 structure remaining)! TAC!

End Phase:
Balius
- Critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 11, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Gyro Hit!
- - XL Engine hit!

Next Turn Movement Phase:
Balius
- Must pass a piloting test to stand (4 base + 3 gyro hit + 1 actuator damage - 2 careful stand = 6): rolled 3, failed!
- - Suffers 6 damage in the fall to Center Torso (15/21 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (8/20 armor remaining)!

Next Turn Movement End Phase
- Critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 11, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - XL Engine hit!
- - Gyro destroyed!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (14/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 10, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Clan quads have the worst luck, it seems. Good kill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That's two targets down. You did well, Mauler. Shame about the Glass Spider.

• Locked thread