Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It could also be that high impulse shock doesn't damage the armour, but could gently caress up the brackets holding it in place. Its designed to hold several tons of armour in place under heavy kinetic impacts, not survive the equivalent of 500 or more tons suddenly forced upon it during a fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

The guns on modern tanks are actually inferior to the primitive rifles, so something even less than the Light Rifle. The evolutionary track is basically Main Tank Gun -> Rifled Cannon -> Autocannon.

Rifled cannons aren't necessarily better/more advanced than smoothbore, if modern tank design proves anything. The original model of Abrams' tank gun was a 105mm rifled cannon, but the modern variant uses a 120mm smoothbore, which is said to be more powerful and accurate. While most of it's foreign contemporaries have switched to smoothbore guns as well, the current UK MBT, the Challenger II, uses a rifled barrel still and is one of last modern first rate MBT to do so.

It doesn't matter anyway though. When (arrays of) .50 cal MGs can do (small) amounts of damage with a burst of fire that does eventually add up, as can ballistic rifles or infantry scale melee weapons, not to mention falls onto the ground, but modern tank cannon cannot, we've thrown any semblance of realism or physics out the window, not that it's a bad thing in a game pretty much inherently about large metal robits shooting and punching the poo poo out of each other in a manner deliberately sold in universe as practically reminiscent of medieval honorable combat.

Still, I understand why it was done. When you had people pestering the devs and :spergin: about how much force is imparted by a tank round vs how much would be needed to defend against said round while calculating the tensile strength of armor necessary to do so while also managing to be ablated by machine gun rounds impacting, using whatever numbers they can scrounge and plugging them into half-remembered formulas from high school physics, as I've seen people do on some certain corners of the Internet, I can see why they just said "gently caress it!" and made some rules so as to effectively kill off the debate. Breaks some sense of willing suspension of disbelief for me sometimes, but I get why it was purposefully set up that way so as to maintain the core conceit of the game, that of giant metal robit combat meant to be not really at all realistic.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 18, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The other hilarious argument is that in theory you could just take one of the already armor penetrating projectiles and load it into a tank round. On a larger scale, we've already found out something like that. The rounds they made for the railgun the US Navy was testing, even when fired out of a conventional cannon instead, had significantly improved performance over a standard round.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IIRC the reason real world tanks went back to smoothbore artillery is due to the use of long, fin stabilized rounds have little to gain from rifling as well as the resulting cost and wear improvements of not rifling.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PTN, would you allow the Mauler to give a hand signal to the towers? Physical attacks have a range of 1, so the Mauler could give a thumbs-up sign into the dead Gargoyle's hex, and the towers would technically see a friendly battlemech within their LoS.
In more practical terms they also just saw its leg sweep the Gargoyle, and if it fires a few 12+ shots from its ACs (not in it's right arm) they have even more circumstantial proof, and 8 of the monitors saw what happened and could confirm to the towers.

In which case Kick-rear end Harpischord won't have to move recklessly with a 5-point torso. (Looks like a 5+ check in the starting hex and then a 6+ check in the hex with the Gargoyle being rough terrain.)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC the reason real world tanks went back to smoothbore artillery is due to the use of long, fin stabilized rounds have little to gain from rifling as well as the resulting cost and wear improvements of not rifling.

It was more a matter of doctrine and weapons development. Artillery is mostly rifled for accuracy, but tank guns are smoothbores because HEAT rounds were expected to be the weapon of the future and making a rifling that works well for both HE and APDS rounds is expensive and results in lots of wear on the barrel. But the British went with HESH rounds instead of HEAT as their primary and those don't care whether you spin them or not, so they used a rifled barrel to achieve much higher accuracy than anybody using a smoothbore.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RA Rx posted:

PTN, would you allow the Mauler to give a hand signal to the towers? Physical attacks have a range of 1, so the Mauler could give a thumbs-up sign into the dead Gargoyle's hex, and the towers would technically see a friendly battlemech within their LoS.
In more practical terms they also just saw its leg sweep the Gargoyle, and if it fires a few 12+ shots from its ACs (not in it's right arm) they have even more circumstantial proof, and 8 of the monitors saw what happened and could confirm to the towers.

In which case Kick-rear end Harpischord won't have to move recklessly with a 5-point torso. (Looks like a 5+ check in the starting hex and then a 6+ check in the hex with the Gargoyle being rough terrain.)

Maulers don't have hands.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Orders in, and so I do not conflict with anyone I am firing all autocannons at the Donar in 2631. With anti-air targeting it would be foolish for me to not shoot Donars. Also, I am moving to 1625, so that I am still screened from the stone rhino.

I will be on travel until Wednesday; I hope to be able to still submit orders, but discussion time will be cut down dramatically.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Remmon posted:

It was more a matter of doctrine and weapons development. Artillery is mostly rifled for accuracy, but tank guns are smoothbores because HEAT rounds were expected to be the weapon of the future and making a rifling that works well for both HE and APDS rounds is expensive and results in lots of wear on the barrel. But the British went with HESH rounds instead of HEAT as their primary and those don't care whether you spin them or not, so they used a rifled barrel to achieve much higher accuracy than anybody using a smoothbore.

Russian tank doctrine also included anti-tank missiles fired from their own armor units. You can fire a missile out of a smoothbore cannon. Rifled, not so much.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Remmon posted:

Another factor is length:diameter ratios of armor piercing projectiles... longer projectiles work better, but you can't spin stabilize stuff past a certain point. And I don't have my notes on my work computer, but what I've found for accuracy statistics on the US smoothbore 120mm is quite good, at least with APFSDS.

Strobe posted:

Russian tank doctrine also included anti-tank missiles fired from their own armor units. You can fire a missile out of a smoothbore cannon. Rifled, not so much.

The M551 Sheridan would like a word with you (although not a great example given its performance)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
I'm thinking to reverse into 1732, and shoot the teal heli (coin flip between him and purple).
Aside - I'm not sure if we're using these rules, but a rapid fire AS + walking AC shots would be wonderful right now - except that my to-hit is bad enough already. Sigh.
e: Or into 1832 - on the one hand, I'll be in their medium range ; on the other hand next round I'll be able to reverse 3 hexes into a wooden hex, giving my better modifier.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 18, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Gun Jam posted:

I'm thinking to reverse into 1732, and shoot the teal heli (coin flip between him and purple).
Aside - I'm not sure if we're using these rules, but a rapid fire AS + walking AC shots would be wonderful right now - except that my to-hit is bad enough already. Sigh.
e: Or into 1832 - on the one hand, I'll be in their medium range ; on the other hand next round I'll be able to reverse 3 hexes into a wooden hex, giving my better modifier.

2130 is a dense forest hex which grants 2 points of cover, you'd have decent shots and be just as safe as 1732 against HE rounds and safer against ER rounds.

Although you'd need 2-3 MP just to turn around and chase the helos, assuming they blast past your position to retain a high movement modifier.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 19, 2017

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Mauler here, thinking of just holding in place and firing a relatively light salvo (to cool off) at the northern group of Donars while I still have the range edge. Sound good?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Mauler here, thinking of just holding in place and firing a relatively light salvo (to cool off) at the northern group of Donars while I still have the range edge. Sound good?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yakumo posted:

I didn't think the Mauler could trigger the secondary objective, the Donars and I think the retreating Epona have line of sight to the towers. If he can it may be worth it after all. Up to him.
I'll allow it. They can't see any `Mechs.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

You stand a 12.2% 5.1% chance of dying by a fall to the HD or LT&LA if you try to reckless move for 1 MP into rough terrain at one 5+ and one 6+ (83.3% success, 16.7% fall chance; 25% if you fall to hit the left arm or torso, 5.5% to hit the head).
Crits to other locations not included.

Otoh, if even one of the birdies turns towards you, there's a reasonable chance it kills you before you can do the same, and the probability gets quite high if there's two of them. Every Heavy Medium Laser hit they get has a 27.8% chance of hitting and destroying your HD, LT or cascading from the missing LA.

They've probably got +4 movement modifier from flying in at full speed
Edit: The choppers are at a +2 from entering the map sheet according to the post below.

My two cents: Activating the monitors is probably worth it despite the nasty ca. 1/8 chance of killing yourself and lowering your accuracy by two points.
Otoh standing stationary and cooling down might save your mech from an instant death.
The potshots at 10+ might draw a couple helos towards you that could kill you the combat phase before you free the Monitors, but it's hard to pass up no return fire. :)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The activation requirement on the naval monitors is to have player LOS to both L3 towers within the boat pens, while no OPFOR 'mech has LOS to those same towers. This should be possible from 0808.

RA Rx posted:

My two cents: Activating the monitors is probably worth taking the nasty ca. 1/8 chance of killing yourself. If you decide to cool down instead you should probably hide as someone said, to avoid drawing aggro and have a better chance to free the monitors without interruption next round.

Agree with this plan, if you want to cool down and not risk moving into the boat pens this turn, just duck and cover as its not worth risking the return fire for AC shots on 12s.

Pending Orders

'Sag' to jump to 1418, facing 1519, firing the ER PPC at the purple helo down south (contingency on the teal).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I agree with rolling the dice to move forward, but would note that PTN always has units entering from off map or start out all missions as if they come in at a +2 move mod.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"You know, Al, when it's late in the game and you've got a passing attack like this offense has - well, when you're the defense, you're gonna want to get some extra guys in coverage, extra defensive backs, go to a nickel or even a dime package sometimes. It looks like that's what the defense is doing right now - those Donars have speed and pack a punch. Against guys like this, you gotta slow 'em down, get them to change direction and lose some speed, or run a little pick off the line of scrimmage - and whatever you do, you know, you can't let 'em double team someone."

"For the offense now it looks like they're going with an even heavier setup - working in the TE and the fullback more now with those Roughnecks. You know, I'm not sure the offense needs to change much, they just need to keep picking their spots, calling good plays, showing good teamwork and executing. I mean, when you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football! And that's what we've been getting for most of this game. I'll tell you what, this offense absolutely has the tools to keep the passing attack up even against this DB-heavy package right now, and the Roughnecks are placed great to support against the Summoner too, whether or not he drops into coverage or tries to blitz again."

"It's hard not to like this field position right now. And if the Mauler up north can get the Monitors going, that'll help open up both the run and the pass. That's never a bad thing."

[madden mode: OFF]

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Orders Submitted

‘Sag’ to jump to 1418, facing 1519, and fire the ER PPC at Donar Close Support Helicopter #3 in 2432. If the Donar Close Support Helicopter #3 is mission killed, then instead fire the ER PPC at Donar Close Support Helicopter #4 in 2433.

Captain Dupont will broadcast, “Captain Himura, would you be so kind as to let your underground freedom fighters know that their Coordinator-Prince is on this field of battle? And that its poor manners to threaten his Majesty with mortal harm on Liberation Day?”

CourValant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 20, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It would be a much, much better idea to name-drop the Kurita than the Davion here.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rjmccall posted:

It would be a much, much better idea to name-drop the Kurita than the Davion here.

He's a Davion, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plus, we're here to keep the Draconis Suns together (technically), so if we can get them used to Davions helping people out it'll work out better.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Voyager I posted:

He's a Davion, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 12

“That’s one,” Isoroku said calmly as a Clan VTOL burst into flames. His autocannon had made short work of the first of the approaching targets, but rather than scattering as he’d expected the bulk of the flight simply dipped their noses a little more and rushed in. It was bravery after a fashion—a suicidal fashion—but nothing about the Clans he’d seen thus far suggested they valued such niceties as human life. A crime the Draconis Combine, and perhaps the whole Inner Sphere, had long grown accustomed to.

Hanse Davion cared. Or, at least, he pretended to. Isoroku wasn’t certain if that made the man strong, or if it made him an utter fool. Nor was it entirely convincing, simple calculus suggested he should have kept well clear of Isoroku’s crash site to keep the invasion’s command structure intact. Even if there truly were no other units to send, staying away was the wiser choice. Either he’d chosen to land here to bolster his ego, and rub Isoroku’s nose in failure, or he’d done so for the publicity. A convenient enough tactic that might have played well in the naïve Federated Suns, but which the citizens of the Draconis Combine would care little about.

Isoroku’s eyes flicked down at his ammunition display. They weren’t the brilliant blue House Kurita was known for, but a simple, common dark brown. “I have three more shots. Let me know when that “Nidhogg” gets too close.”

Movement Phase
Mauler
- Moves recklessly into hex 0808: (4 base + 1 cumulative penalty = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires PPC at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires PPC at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Side (4/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 11): rolled 11, hit Right Side (0/14 armor, 2/3 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 11): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 11): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 32!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Donar CS#3 (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 airborn target = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 34!

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Fires PPC at Summoner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (17/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Summoner (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20!

Mauler (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Hunchback (Player)
- Fires Assault Autocannon at Donar CS#4 (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Side (0/14 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar CS#4 (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar CS#4 (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar CS#4 (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Donar CS#4 (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 7): rolled 7, hit Front (11/16 armor remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 24!

Naginata (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Donar CS#3 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Donar CS#3 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Donar CS#3 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Donar CS#3 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 30!

JagerMech (Player)
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target - 1 anti-aircraft targeting = 5): rolled 9, hit Front (11/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target - 1 anti-aircraft targeting = 5): rolled 11, hit Left Side (9/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target - 1 anti-aircraft targeting = 7): rolled 6, hit Left Side (4/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Donar MS#1 (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 aerial target - 1 anti-aircraft targeting = 7): rolled 9, hit Front (6/16 armor remaining)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Summoner
- Fires ER Large Laser at Naginata (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear Right Torso (0/8 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Naginata (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear Right Torso (8/20 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 36 heat, sinks 38!

Ha Otoko
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 13!

Stone Rhino
- Fires Gauss Rifle at building Hatamoto Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at building Hatamoto Chi (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/25 armor, 16/17 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Donar CS#1
- Holds fire!

Donar CS#2
- Holds fire!

Donar CS#3
- Fires Heavy Medium Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Heavy Medium Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!

Donar CS#4
- Fires Heavy Medium Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Heavy Medium Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!

Donar MS#1
- Fires ATM-12 at JagerMech (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

Donar MS#2
- Fires ATM-12 at JagerMech (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!

Donar MS#3
- Holds fire!

Donar MS#4
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
Donar MS#1
- Critical chance in Right Side: rolled 9, Engine damaged!

Naginata (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 9, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - LRM-15 Ammo hit!
- Naginata suffers 60 damage to Right Torso (0/20 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Right arm blown off! 2 Pilot Hits!
- - 52 damage vented harmlessly by CASE!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 10, succeeds!
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 10, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Player Status:

Ally? Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (Complete)
- Destroy enemy reinforcements (0/8 remaining)!

Secondary Objectives
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (13/17 remaining)
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (Complete)
- Destroy enemy reinforcements (0/8 remaining)!

Wasn't Donar CS#4 destroyed?

Nice round, looks like we're all still 'up and at them', for the most part.

'Sag' is having a Mexican Stand-Off with the Stone Rhino, which I'm fine with, as long as he's contained and the rest of the team moves out of his firing lanes.

Mauler, glad you made it into 0808, looks like the monitors are on the move, and, they're not shooting!?!

Star Commander Summoner is a complete prat and is fighting in the most Un-Clan like fashion.

Guess we just keep at it, swatting those Donars from the sky.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I don't know if Isoruku is right. The Draconis Combine talks a lot about honor and glory.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

I don't know if Isoruku is right. The Draconis Combine talks a lot about honor and glory.

He was raised in a monastery, he doesn't know that.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Artificer posted:

True enough. However, I could see Hanse funding his next RCT by selling Battle ROMs of 2nd Luthien for 60 C-Bills a pop in the both sides of the Draconis Suns.

Overall a good round, I think we can eliminate the southern Donars next turn and then take out the Summoner the following turn. That guy is a prick who needs to be assigned to latrine duties and shipped to the darkest corner of the Outback.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Artificer posted:

Its that (not so) subtle bias against gaijin; if it was the DCMS riding to the rescue, then it would be Loyal Samurai of the Dragon giving their lives to protect their Lord on Liberation Day. Hanse Davion doing it is a Gaijun both humiliating the Kuritan people and not showing trust in their ability to save themselves.

Jew it to it! posted:

Overall a good round, I think we can eliminate the southern Donars next turn and then take out the Summoner the following turn. That guy is a prick who needs to be assigned to latrine duties and shipped to the darkest corner of the Outback.

Just (everyone) get out of the Stone Rhino's line of fire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jew it to it! posted:

True enough. However, I could see Hanse funding his next RCT by selling Battle ROMs of 2nd Luthien for 60 C-Bills a pop in the both sides of the Draconis Suns.

Do you really think there are significant numbers of people in the Federated Suns or the Draconis Combine who have 60 C-Bills to spend?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

CourValant posted:

Mauler, glad you made it into 0808, looks like the monitors are on the move, and, they're not shooting!?!

Skeleton Crews, remember?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Nice shots there! Pity about all those side hits saving the first Donar, but they all whiffed in return for a net gain.

Teledahn posted:

Skeleton Crews, remember?

They just activated (movement with the OpFor), so maybe they'll fire at the end of this round (shouldn't have any problem angling up the SRMs or the AC-20s?)... at least they'll either draw some fire and gain time or escape and complete the secondary.

'Sag', you might be able to help the Mauler, if you decide that's worth the pin on the Stone Rhino. I'm not sure, but I think you could shoot Drumf in the rear on 8 9's from 1516 w/ the LPLs and ERPPC at run speed.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 21, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

'Sag', you might be able to help the Mauler, if you decide that's worth the pin on the Stone Rhino. I'm not sure, but I think you could shoot Drumf in the rear on 8s from 1516 w/ the LPLs and ERPPC at run speed.

I'm actually considering going back into the boat pens to help out our heroic Mauler; the South is pretty well covered at this point, especially with Technician Roberts' Lance.

@PTN:Is this a valid shot? Is there LOS to the yellow helo from 1516 for the 'Sag'?

Thoughts from the other Players on 'Sag' turning back North to help out the Mauler?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

CourValant posted:

I'm actually considering going back into the boat pens to help out our heroic Mauler; the South is pretty well covered at this point, especially with Technician Roberts' Lance.

@PTN:Is this a valid shot? Is there LOS to the yellow helo from 1516 for the 'Sag'?

Thoughts from the other Players on 'Sag' turning back North to help out the Mauler?

Not a player, but you're finally in a position to unload everything into the Stone Rhino at short range. It'd be a shame to miss that chance.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Forgot the Targeting Computer was destroyed, so it'd be 9s.
The Stone Rhino is nearly pristine and could easily savage the Sagittaire if it doesn't have any backup, it's got 4 RT structure, any of the Rhino's main weapons on it would cascade straight into the CT structure, after which every hit has 16/36 odds of landing on the CT.
Also, the purple helicopter has its LoS blocked by the building.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 21, 2017

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Alright, here are my options:
1. Defensive - run to 2030 and turn around. It means the two donars cannot shoot me, and gives the summoner medium range at me.

2. Offensive - reverse again, and unload on the summoner. 1433 gives me the +1 move mod - but it also means we're in each other short range.
Now, 1533 means I don't have a move mod - but it mean I'm outside of his machine guns and in his missiles medium range - and I'll have cover. In addition, it means I'm in the yellow donar's ER missiles min range.

I'm fairly sure that if I go this way, this would be the result - but I'm okay with that; it's either my or the naginata, I don't have a lot of time left anyway - so I might as well try and give him one last good salvo.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Forgot the Targeting Computer was destroyed, so it'd be 9s.
The Stone Rhino is nearly pristine and could easily savage the Sagittaire if it doesn't have any backup, it's got 4 RT structure, any of the Rhino's main weapons on it would cascade straight into the CT structure, after which every hit has 16/36 odds of landing on the CT.
Also, the purple helicopter has its LoS blocked by the building.

Sagittaires use XLFEs. Any hit which destroys the RT kills it. It's basically a dead 'mech walking at this point, which means that unless you're going to be really careful about playing keepaway and having enemies only hit you on the left side table, you should expect one, maybe two, rounds of continued combat ability from it.

The Sagittaire is super interesting in normal gameplay because it's so much greater than the sum of its parts. IS pulse lasers are generally considered bad, as are XLFE IS assaults, but the Sagittaire combines the two to make a very, very solid killing machine.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Good news, thread! I completed Battletech Bootcamp at GenCon and managed to keep my Panther mostly intact! I vaguely understand the rules better enough now that I feel comfortable signing up for the pilot list! It's like the people running it said: "We're here to teach you to play Battletech, not play Battletech well" so I should fit right in!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

MJ12 posted:

Sagittaires use XLFEs. Any hit which destroys the RT kills it. It's basically a dead 'mech walking at this point, which means that unless you're going to be really careful about playing keepaway and having enemies only hit you on the left side table, you should expect one, maybe two, rounds of continued combat ability from it.

The Sagittaire is super interesting in normal gameplay because it's so much greater than the sum of its parts. IS pulse lasers are generally considered bad, as are XLFE IS assaults, but the Sagittaire combines the two to make a very, very solid killing machine.

The stock Sagittaire is also interesting in situations like this because, thanks to flippy-arms and the rear-mounted MPLs, it actually has more close range firepower backwards than it does forwards.

Unfortunately, in this particular case it doesn't have enough rear armor left on that torso for it to matter, but if it was at full rear armor but still the open torso from the front, the absolute right play would be to shoot while facing away from the enemy while flipping the arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mercenarynuker posted:

Good news, thread! I completed Battletech Bootcamp at GenCon and managed to keep my Panther mostly intact! I vaguely understand the rules better enough now that I feel comfortable signing up for the pilot list! It's like the people running it said: "We're here to teach you to play Battletech, not play Battletech well" so I should fit right in!

Definitely my favorite line on the script.

• Locked thread