Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

The bastard that headcapped me in the Death Commando campaign. :argh:

No dogs or Clanners please.

Unless it's the Minnesota clan.

Edit VVV From the thread.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Z the IVth posted:

Are there any Warhammers of note in the thread that I could use as inspiration?

There is only one answer to this question; the most (in)famous Warhammer of all time, as piloted by the Black Widow.

Or, you can consult the Notable Pliots section here:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warhammer

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Z the IVth posted:

No dogs or Clanners please.

Unless it's the Minnesota clan.

Edit VVV From the thread.

If you just want white bread pristine just paint it up in Davion colors and be done with it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Ardlen posted:

It isn't necessarily better, but if you moved to 1943 instead, you could set yourself up to jump inside the parking garage at 1139 next turn. That could let you support the 'Mechs inside the Stadium.

vvv They could have a 'Mech Soccer match while they wait.

This sounds like a good idea, since it also still lets me be in a position to move over to the right side of the map.

Spider will be jumping to 1943, facing 1843.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

If you just want white bread pristine just paint it up in Davion colors and be done with it.

White bread pristine? I don't get the reference.

I did a Tokugawa in the Federated Combine RCT colours a while back, don't really like the Red/Blue/White scheme, looks very cartoony. Did any of the Death Commandos ride Warhammers? I can get behind the warcrimes brigade.

Otherwise I'm just going to go with Yorinaga.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Death Commandos by nature can use any 'mech, as that's one of their gimmicks. I don't recall if we specifically had a Warhammer in their missions. I remember that Atlas, and a bunch of Cappie specific mechs. We probably did in that campaign against the Horses.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Question for the thread.

I've got a Warhansa Warhammer that I'm going to paint up. I've got no particular attachment to any particular faction from Battletech. Are there any Warhammers of note in the thread that I could use as inspiration?

The only one I know of off the top of my head is Yorinaga's ride from Luthien Round 1.

Yorinaga's Warhammer would be done-up in Sword of Light colors, which is primarily red. I don't want to assume you're a better painter than I am (I'm crap) but if you want something that looks nice with relatively low effort, Natasha's Warhammer also looks nice.

If you're going to do multiple though, nothing beats a Sword of Light group shot!

Still, the nice thing about BattleTech is, you can paint `Mechs however you want and chances are pretty good they'll come out looking at least ok.

Just be careful, or before you know it you'll have Yorinaga Kurita and Gray Noton fighting Kristen Redmond alongside a Cyclops from the Taurian Concordat!

Man, I'm not sure how I crammed all seven of those `Mechs in that shot. Sorry the quality's so poor, my phone's pretty ancient and I lost the cord that lets me hook my real camera to my PC.

The Cyclops is fun as hell to paint, FYI. It's another `Mech I really want to get a duplicate of.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Can't quite recall the missions that had the legendary King Atlas - does anyone recall offhand? I'm explaining the sheer possible ridiculousness of Battletech to a friend, and I feel like the logs for that might be a great start.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welp, I just learned today that BattleCorps went offline a while ago.

No wonder I never heard back from them after I submitted The Last Contender.

Upside is the title is super ironic now.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

So west lance is setting up an ambush at 647, Spider to 1943, looks like we have a choice to make.

Blob up or split up? East lance (not counting the von Rohrs) has the speed to do either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hedningen posted:

Can't quite recall the missions that had the legendary King Atlas - does anyone recall offhand? I'm explaining the sheer possible ridiculousness of Battletech to a friend, and I feel like the logs for that might be a great start.

Just start looking through our time in the NRWR, as it was the Demon Hawks campaign. King Dadlas was in a few of them (though he didn't get crowned King of the Battlefield until his second or third appearance, and the name wasn't official until the Patreon roster update).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Air Raid.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Like, offline forever?

Sorry to hear that, quite unprofessional they left you hanging without telling you your submission is no longer being reviewed, considered, etc.

"Quite unprofessional" is the Catalyst Game Labs motto.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

So west lance is setting up an ambush at 647, Spider to 1943, looks like we have a choice to make.

Blob up or split up? East lance (not counting the von Rohrs) has the speed to do either.

Mongoose/Hitman
I think it would be wise to generally stick with the West lance and support them where we can. I was planning on walking my guys over to 1648 and 1749 for the moment to help back up a future ambush.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

air raid was the one, he just strolled through the map headcapping fools with an hgr.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

air raid was the one, he just strolled through the map headcapping fools with an hgr.

And kneecapping them with TSM boosted 100 ton kicks. Undisputed Heavyweight Shin-Kicking Champion, of all time.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Capskye posted:

Mongoose/Hitman
I think it would be wise to generally stick with the West lance and support them where we can. I was planning on walking my guys over to 1648 and 1749 for the moment to help back up a future ambush.

Works for me. If the scout at 1437 is moving counterclockwise, we can set an ambush for 1047 on the same turn west lance hits 647.

I'll head for 1449.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hedningen posted:

I think the rampage starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1609&perpage=40#post460448275

1 kill, 2 kills the next turn.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Not quite. It was a Kill on turn 6, then a cripple on turn 7, then 1 kill on 8, 2 kills on 9, 2 kills on 10 and one last one on 11. Seven 'Mechs destroyed in 60 seconds, forever cementing Duncan and the Dadlas as in-universe badasses that make OTL Kai-Allard Liao look like a poser chump. It was so awesome, that PTN even said outright that we weren't going to vote for Player MVP that mission, as it was already a total lock - we were voting for 2MVP, and Op4MVP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did not get orders from Capskye, so we may have to call up an alternate to run the two lights. Fortunately it's turn one and they're fast enough that a single turn won't leave them out of position.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did not get orders from Capskye, so we may have to call up an alternate to run the two lights. Fortunately it's turn one and they're fast enough that a single turn won't leave them out of position.

My apologies. I got distracted last night after waiting to the last minute while trying to coordinate with other players, so I didn't get a chance to actually send the orders I was discussing in thread.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As long as you're around, that's all I care about! It's turn 1, no harm done.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 2
“Watch those alleys,” Geoffrey Van Dijk advised even as he twisted his torso to sweep one with the barrels of his autocannons. Imperial City would have been an infantryman’s paradise, but the Clans used very few troops that weren’t wrapped in their larger-than-life power armor. He hoped they wouldn’t run into any of those power-armored toads today, but they had to move quickly if they were to have any hope of success. The risk simply wasn’t worth the delay of a careful sweep.

“Something’s interfering with my beagle probe,” the mercenary Mechwarrior Valten Ryder broadcast to every `Mech within line of sight. Laser-based communications were a relay rather than a traditional broadcast, and Geoffrey passed the message down the line. “Looks like one of these guys is running ECM—dumb, if they’d been running countermeasures they might’ve had a chance to spot us.

Captain D’antonio was out of contact for the moment. Lt. Korean took charge, “Keep running noise yourself, in case this one has the bright idea to switch to countermeasures. We may need to keep our ECM doubled up—jamming might alert warn a Clanner that something’s up but I’d bet money they’ll investigate rather than regrouping. They’re arrogant.”

Movement Phase
Von Rohrs (Player)
- Insufficient MP to face hex 1743: Needs 9, has 8!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:
[Unknown]

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance (0/?)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I am already enjoying MechGear Solid. Can we please get exclamation points for the clan mechs when they eventually spot the players? Not nearly enough cardboard boxes though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wonder how this will play out, maintain stealth or alpha strike the mech closing in on you. Should make for a good show either way. :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ice Fist posted:

I am already enjoying MechGear Solid. Can we please get exclamation points for the clan mechs when they eventually spot the players? Not nearly enough cardboard boxes though.

Unfortunately, Hogarth uses the majority of the cardboard boxes in the Inner Sphere for his movies.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're getting hard to come by, too, since the last cardboard box factory in the Inner Sphere burned down during the 1st Succession War.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd like that to be true, just so they can go back to shipping things in giant wooden crates just waiting to be crow-barred.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're getting hard to come by, too, since the last cardboard box factory in the Inner Sphere burned down during the 1st Succession War.

I'm surprised it burned down, rather than just being crushed when a mech got shot and toppled backwards through it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Wonder how this will play out, maintain stealth or alpha strike the mech closing in on you. Should make for a good show either way. :allears:

Full stealth would be a super boring mission, so a good DM (which poptarts is) would give the players one or two encounters with fair chances to burn the patrol down before the alarm goes off, but then when the command post goes down everything left on the map will beeline for the players and the mission becomes an urban brawl.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hope you guys have enough physical room to end all moves out of line of sight of that pink scout.

I also really, really hope that crossing its line of sight doesn't make it go investigate, because that would gently caress us pretty hard I think.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

then when the command post goes down everything left on the map will beeline for the players and the mission becomes an urban brawl.

I'm not convinced they could survive that.

The name of the game is conserving armor, if they can do that while engaging scouts they're going to do just fine. If they can't, then they should avoid combat or send a fast-mover to scout the HQ ASAP so they can beeline for it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 20, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
We only need to destroy the Hq, not make it back home with the mech, right? :black101:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Centurion

Okay I'm calling the lance with me, the bander and two roughnecks Alpha lance for ease of coms. I think we should have a small change of plans since our two scouts have picked the most inconvenient way to merge on our position. Ambushing them on the 0600 road now looks more complicated and more likely to alert both of them at the same time. I say we take an extra turn and let the pinky patrol all the way to 1047 where it will stop in two turns. We need to be careful of Yellow Scout with a probe, but we have two ECM mechs in our lance, so we can double cover the lance and be secure. So my plan is as follows; we take positions about where we are in the 1000 line. Personally I want 1049 just in case I can get a probe on the yellow patrol. two mechs take 1046 and 1045, and someone takes 1050. We stay in a cluster with double ECM coverage just in case yellow does something dumb, or smart, and goes ECCM. We're all clustered under my and the banders ECM so even if he does ECCM we don't get probed. We wait two turns, Pinky arrives at 1047 and we murder the poo poo out of it. Once pinky's dead we see where on the patrol yellow is and we set up another ambush.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 20, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

One thing to consider:

Unless PTN says otherwise, we should be expecting return fire the same turn we engage. If conserving armor is the key to this mission, we won't want to be standing still when springing traps. Pick a hex you want to be when the shooting starts, then see how you can get there with a decent move mod the turn it happens.

I'm thinking of backing to 1549 this turn so I can walk 5 to 1049 as the scout hits 1047.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
A fair point, but more moving around also means more risk of walking into something elses line of sight. I'm not too worried about pinky here. He's making 9 movement turns between patrol points so he's fast and not likely heavily gunned. That's 9 move while probably not even running, so if we were expecting Firemoths or whatever, this might be one of them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ECM that isn't Electronic Counter-Measures is very confusing to me
Like what is ECM, when it's not in ECM mode?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's either ECM or ECCM!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Electronic Counter-Counter-Measures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the stuff you do to overcome ECM.

Theorycrafted ECCCM is my favourite.

• Locked thread