Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

I know hot rice racer metallic red isn't strictly 2nd SOL, but hey, it's the boss.

What's your lightbox setup like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

What's your lightbox setup like?

Backing paper, 2 IKEA Tertial lamps with daylight CFLs and I have a lighted macro ring on my camera (its an Olympus compact but it's got an attachment to redirect the LED flash).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1. Storm Crow.
2. Phantom.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Loxbourne posted:

Bethany Cochrane was made up for a joke about the uselessness of Clan intelligence services - i.e. a totally not Clan pilot in a mech wearing a trenchcoat, whose idea of intelligence gathering is to walk up to the highest ranking person and challenge them to a duel for all their secrets.

The thread loved her enough that PTN did a "Bethany Cochrane run" in a Mechwarrior 2 LP to show off some of the losing mission paths. Later he actually named a pilot after her in the Demon Hawks arc, where she was actually quite loyal and competent and didn't spy on or backstab anyone as far as we know.

I know this is a couple of days back, but you can't write this and not link to the darn thing

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snake Pit Betting Pool

2: Parash. We've seen out of scope/timeline mechs, so I feel this is a solid bet. (fake edit: if that's out of timeline, shadow cat)

1: is a little harder. hmn. Judging from context clues I can assume this mech is moving 8 hexes this turn. We know there's at least one heavy in the scout roster, but I dont think this is it. Judging from the icon size, I think its a medium or light. My gut wants to say shadow cat. The joke answer is a Roadrunner for cheekyness sake, though its 15 tons. If it weren't for those hints, I'd say a Piranha's the easiest guess, but its both humanoid and a diamond shark/sea fox mech.

Real answer: Incubus. Possibly even the Hells Horses/Diamond Shark buddy buddy model #4.
Joke Answer: Mad Cat III. Just for sheer "Oh my gosh they have a - no, wait" factor

The idea of a second line mech that's overgunned for the sole purpose of giving weapons up during 'kill the time' trials is hilarious. Its also scary enough for a scout, and we've see heavy lasers in thread so its not far fetched.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Let's get funky with it!

#1: Solitaire (25 tons)

#2 Parash (35 tons)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

farraday posted:

Because you should be the change you want to see in the world.

Good argument.

1: King Crab
2: King Crab

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

Yep, and that was thanks to a miscommunication during my mission (not my fault, was already dead by then :v: )

Goons corner a Commando. Battlemaster driver asks about wrastling the Babby to the ground. PTN declares a Suplex is an option, if he can get directly behind it and fire nothing. Crab misinterprets this as 'generally behind' so he moves in and point-blanks it.

And thus, the greatest Apology Mission was born, where we got our promised Suplex and so much more.

I was the Battlemaster. I coulda been a contender! :bahgawd:

PS put me back in coach I'm ready

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 24, 2017

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Mech 1: Fire Moth/Dasher, Light, 20 Tons
Mech 2: Mist Lynx/Koshi, Light, 25 Tons

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Remmon posted:

We did use the backing up over height changes rules in the beginning. Then in one of the first missions someone backed down a hill, tripped on a nat.2 roll and blew a leg off. The rule was retired after that incident.

That was the Wolfhound in the Vipers of Somerset mission, where we first encountered the Clans, IIRC. Piloted by a Corporal Richard Hunter (ayy, Macross reference!), he did decently well after that leg break (when leg loss wasn't a mission kill yet) against the Steel Viper clanners contesting that spaceport, that he got taken bondsman alongside Caesar Steiner and Muk's more thread famous Lieutenant Samantha Clover. Wonder what happened to the two non-Caesar 2nd Donegal from that mission...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snake Pit Betting Pool 1st Edition

Mech 1) Piranha 20T TRO 3058

Mech 2) Black Lanner (Alt. Config. A ) 55T TRO 3058

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Have to break out Tac Ops.

Need to see how 50/50 cover affects double-blind Line of Sight.

I wish there was an official term for half-cover. It comes up frequently and the double-blind rules actually don't take it into account.

Edit: gently caress it, I guess this is what sensor rolls are for.

Double-edit: Going to need an arbitrator on this, actually.

Option 1) The player will be securely in their destination hex by the time the Clan unit passes by at the start of the Turn 3, and as I "always loses initiative" I can simply automatically decline line of sight to the Clan unit (as I don't see any reason they'd want to be voluntarily spotted).

Option 2) The old GM's Standby: I could make it a flat 50/50 chance since they're in a hex that has 50% cover.

Option 3) I could break out the fiddly sensor rules, but I don't want to track which Clan units are smart enough to use I See Through Buildings Magnetic Resonance Scanning.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 24, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have to break out Tac Ops.

Need to see how 50/50 cover affects double-blind Line of Sight.

I wish there was an official term for half-cover. It comes up frequently and the double-blind rules actually don't take it into account.

Edit: gently caress it, I guess this is what sensor rolls are for.

Option 1) The player will be securely in their destination hex by the time the Clan unit passes by at the start of the Turn 3, and as I "always loses initiative" I can simply automatically decline line of sight to the Clan unit (as I don't see any reason they'd want to be voluntarily spotted).

Option 2) The old GM's Standby: I could make it a flat 50/50 chance since they're in a hex that has 50% cover.

Option 3) I could break out the fiddly sensor rules, but I don't want to track which Clan units are smart enough to use I See Through Buildings Magnetic Resonance Scanning.

I knew I should've asked about when you check LoS! (Option 1 plz)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Neither you nor the OpForce are teleporting to your destination hexes.

That's fair.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 24, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Neither you nor the OpForce are teleporting to your destination hexes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Option 1 and a lesson about sightlines when turning corners, tia

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Option 1. Random checks to establish concrete concepts like LOS inevitable come off as either unsatisfying for the winner or unfair for the loser. MagScan makes the entire concept of a stealth game a farce.

I would definitely say it would affect the behavior of the unit in question, though. Gut feeling/hunch/close call is totally fine.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Option 1 since you can fiddle 'always loses initiative' in this as 'huh there was a blip for a half second on my sensors, I guess the stupid techs still haven't fixed the scanners resolving these stupid luthien buildings as battlemechs sometimes.'

Edit: like what Strobe said above.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Here is the problem, and why I'm so torn:

Unknown #1 has partial line-of-sight to the Von Rohrs. Now, BattleMechs only really take up about 8-10 meters of the 30 meter hex they occupy, which is why in a 50/50 tie the defender gets to choose Line of Sight. This is one of the few situations where winning or losing initiative actually matters, because the first unit to defend chooses the LOS for every exchange involving those two hexes, it's down to a question of: Does the Von Rohrs get to choose to hide, or does Unknown #1 get to choose not to hide.

I usually show player attacks first, but in turn order they're really attacking second, which means if both `Mechs choose to attack each other it's always the player who ultimately decides whether line of sight exists.

But that is a hex I can absolutely declare an attack against, and as a GM in a double-blind setting I would probably establish line of sight between those two `Mechs. Or, in other words, Line of Sight exists before the defender chooses to break it. This is my problem, because that hex should be mutual spot followed by one target or the other taking cover.

The players aren't too badly positioned to handle an early spot but it would probably result in a fun and hectic 2v11 in turn 4 rather than the 1v11 ambush I know they're hoping for.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I would give the players the advantage here just because some of them are new at this and for things to go south this early on might be bad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd say the player mech on the right gets to choose whether or not it's hidden, because it is "defending" against the vision check of the clanner and like you said, it doesn't take up that entire hex so it could be pressed up in the corner of that building.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well, whether it's a fun and hectic 2v11 is entirely up to the Clan machines at that point. Given that they are Clan, however, that seems likely. Otherwise, Unknown #1 has probably the most ideal path imaginable back to friendly lines and an alert. It'd probably end up depending on what kind of 'Mech the Clan pilot is in.

In terms of "this is a stealth mission" I can definitely see the Von Rohrs pilot hugging buildings and trying very hard to stay out of line of sight of major thoroughfares, even if there wasn't an enemy patrolling at exactly that instant. Equally in terms of 'this is a stealth mission', this is the exact moment that I'm sure every one of us has experienced where the enemy spots you when you're trying to hide and elicits a "What the gently caress! I'm hiding! That's bullshit."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've already decided how I'm going to proceed.

That was a "be careful about this" because those will be 50/50 checks after turn 5.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I wouldn't call myself a new hand at Battletech. New at double-blind games maybe because gently caress all that effort, but that's not an excuse. I could see an argument for movement being simultaneous and, seeing as how the Von Rohrs hasn't moved yet leaving time to back away from the contested hex - but I can also see how that would be a huge problem with regard to retroactive moves and the like. In the end I parked my big robutt in that hex and if I'm spotted so be it. It's PTN's game and he knows how to make them a blast.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That mech is like a Metal Gear Solid guard and is now in ? mode and will proceed to deviate from his patrol route and investigate without telling anyone else. The players can totally use buildings as cardboard boxes.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah that seems like a risky move to begin with, not sure why the pilot didn't go for 1341 instead to maintain complete cover.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Here is the problem, and why I'm so torn:

In situations like this, I tend to look for environmental factors, scene, tone, mood or other actors to influence the decision.

For example: is there any way the yakuza/local support can distract a mech long enough to 'miss' a window? Its JUST like a clanner scout to stop and see a sudden fistfight on the streets to look the other way.

Then, if a mark goes in the favour of one side, the next one tocks to the other.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 3
“Woah,” Chinpira Minami Takuya resist the urge to press the Von Rohr’s back against the wall of the building he’d chosen to hide behind. A parking garage, it turned out, was not ideal cover: at just over three meters from floor to ceiling, the gap between each floor was more than large enough to permit a BattleMech to peer through. Fortunately, he’d chosen to paint his machine in the colors of the Legion of Vega rather than the stark white of the Sun Zhang cadre Isamu had favored. The stark white would have been a dead giveaway—the dark gray and rust of the Legion must have looked like nothing more than a stain on a concrete pillar or a pile of trash.

Either that, or the enemy `Mech was just tall enough that their cockpit was level with the guardrail. Not that Minami had gotten a good look at the opposition, either. It was thin and lanky, like an awkward teenager with a rather stiff gait. To his untrained eye it looked gigantic—although, he decided, his Von Rohrs was certainly more manly. His computer didn’t even beep. Either the design wasn’t in its database, or it hadn’t gotten a good enough visual for the Jane’s BattleMechs software to make a positive identification.

The enemy scout moved on, and he breathed a silent sigh of relief. It hadn’t spotted him. He targeted Isamu’s Charger behind him and fired off, “Aniki, please send to main force: Almost spotted, enemy scout is good. Appears to be proceeding towards the ambush point as expected.”

Ryokai, will pass it along,” Isamu replied promptly following up only a moment later with an awed and oddly respectful, “You idiot.”

N/A

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance (0/?)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 25, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Pilot status: "Newly Suspicious" huh?

Keep an eye out in the future, goonpilots, and good luck!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm holding position exactly where I am. I had been about to turn one hexside left and then wait, but there's a non-zero chance the scout doubles back. From here, a torso twist right will threaten the hexes in my LOS to the north, and the next predicted location for the scout is still in the full arc of my weapons.

Other Roughneck, definitely recommend reversing and heading south north, to end facing north south. If you stay in the route, the scout will be forced to stop before it reaches the ambush point.

Centurion, you're probably fine right where you are.

Bandersnatch, pretty much likewise. You'll still be safely out of line of sight from Orange One if you advance back around the corner, but if you want to keep your TMM high on the actual ambush turn you probably don't have to move this turn.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 25, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Centurion

Yeah, Hedningan needs to get out of the road before poo poo goes wrong. I am totally staying put where I am and will blast the poo poo out of whatever comes around the corner with a pair of PPCs. If we're lucky I might get a BAP scan on the yellow scout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Faced one of the Roughnecks the wrong way, it's fixed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Huh. The unit in 2836 didn't move this turn. I wonder what's up that...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

Oh right, poo poo.

It's a good thing I forgot to move it or it would have spotted the Charger and Von Rohrs with no one in a good position to :dealwithit:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh right, poo poo.

It's a good thing I forgot to move it or it would have spotted the Charger and Von Rohrs with no one in a good position to :dealwithit:

Wow lucky break.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
oh wow that could have been bad

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh right, poo poo.

It's better to be lucky than good!

Also seeing 2 pilots with the rank of chinpira will never fail to make me laugh. It's just a great yakuza classification.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

W.T. Fits posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh right, poo poo.

Artificer posted:

Wow lucky break.

Jade Star posted:

oh wow that could have been bad

Yikes. Consider that our one scum save and reload for the mission.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys we reeeeeeally don't need to rush this, at least until we get into a fight. Take five minutes and check LOS to routes.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh right, poo poo.

I thought the enemy 'Mech positions shown in the "Enemy Movement" phase were where they were going to wind up while the player side were making their movements which we haven't sent in yet, and that only after both sides had finished moving the LOS checks would be done.

Are you saying the pink light scout now in 0644 spotted the Von Rohrs at its destination hex partway through the scout's movement? If both sides were moving simultaneously, the Von Rohrs wasn't there yet.

As far as I understood, if that stopped 'Mech moved to 2336 as planned, it would see me if I stood still this turn, which I obviously wouldn't.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

A good poster posted:

Are you saying the pink light scout now in 0644 spotted the Von Rohrs at its destination hex partway through the scout's movement? If both sides were moving simultaneously, the Von Rohrs wasn't there yet.

The Von Rohrs moved into hex 1241 during turn 2.

Unknown Enemy #1 moved past the Von Rohrs's position and drew line of sight to hex 1241 during its movement in turn 3.

The first map is the movement phase of Turn 2, with every unit's final position. Units do not simply teleport to their end positions and then test line of sight, if you cross an enemy's path it will absolutely detect player units and vice-versa.

The second map is the (enemy) movement phase in turn 3. BattleTech has a turn and initiative order so even though movement is "simultaneous" units absolutely do move "before" or "after" one another, which is why the first `Mech to move can't initiate a charge attack or a DFA. Units that are waiting for their turn in the move order are not invisible and can be detected at their "start" positions, which is why I've made the enemy patrol paths and stopping points very clear.

It may better to stand between two buildings then it is to stand at an intersection because it cuts the number of directions you can be spotted from dramatically.

• Locked thread