Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

:doh:

gently caress, sorry team. I was operating under the assumption that the Charger's jump the previous turn was missed because it ended up in a hex without LOS.

Nope, the OpForce just wasn't in a position to spot the jump. It was a very near thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Contact #1 - Solitaire
Contact #2 - Arctic Fox
Contact #3 - Uller/Kit Fox C
Contact #4 - Morrigan
Contact #5 - Arctic Wolf

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I just hope one of these is a Timber Wolf variant even if I don't have the innate Btech knowledge to pick it out by it's stats.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
#3 Kitfox C
#4 Piranha 3
#5 Shadow Cat

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

I just hope one of these is a Timber Wolf variant even if I don't have the innate Btech knowledge to pick it out by it's stats.

Assuming canon configs only, there's a slight chance: there's a timber wolf with ECM+active probe (so it could be #2 or #3), but it's a custom load-out, belongs to the bounty hunter.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Don't feel bad guys. I'm pretty sure maintaining stealth for three whole turns puts in the top 10% of goons.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Don't feel bad guys. I'm pretty sure maintaining stealth for three whole turns puts in the top 10% of goons.

I'm genuinely impressed they're managing to keep it a Sneaking Mission for as long as they are.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snake Pit Betting Pool
Unknown #3 Known Facts
- Spends 3-6 MP/turn
- - It may be a 6/9 or faster
- - It may be as slow as a 4/6
- Has a complete EWAR kit, both ECM and an Active Probe

Guess for Unknown #3: Hellbringer (Loki)

Will edit later to include guess for Unknown #4 and #5.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 4

“Captain.”

“What do you have for me, Rapallino?” Captain Rose D’antonio leaned her ‘Mech forward, peering around the corner of the building she’d chosen to hide behind. She didn’t have a great view from here, but any further forward risked being spotted by Clan forces. One of the premier Scout ‘Mechs of the old Star League, the Mongoose was one of a select few BattleMechs capable of turning its head, giving its pilot an unparalleled field of view when the circle-vision strip was disabled.

Narinder Rapallino gestured with the all-too-human left hand of his Hitman, and flashed a couple of comm. frequencies her way. “I’ve been filtering out the Clan front line channels, and picked up something interesting. Take a listen. Start with the 97, then take a listen to the 30.”

Rose keyed in the frequency, making sure her receiver was set to listen-only. After a moment, she got a crackle.

“Contact, grid forty-seven. Moving west. Now moving south. Contact lost.” The speaker sounded young. Young and bored.

“Good report, Cadet,” an older voice replied. “In a real battle, you have to keep your eyes open even while maneuvering. Watch those corners, and try to take your patrol circuits a little faster each time. There is a lot of electronic noise tonight, so do not forget to cycle your ECM modes periodically. Failure to report contact when a Freebirth BattleMech moves through your Ay-Oh-Oh is a demerit, and I want perfect scores toni—”

Rose silenced the frequency, shaking her head in disbelief. The city was under direct attack and the Clans were running a baby’s first scout patrol exercise and filling their own airwaves with dozens of false contact reports. She rubbed the bridge of her nose with one hand, then mimed the gesture with the Mongoose—careful not to accidentally smash the `Mech’s multi-ton fist into her cockpit. Rapallino’s Hitman bobbed in an approximation of a nod.

“Hell,” she murmured, then keying in the second frequency.

“-ling you, Austėja, there is something strange going on,” a man complained gruffly. “They would not pull us off the front lines for something as lovely as training patrol.”

“Yes they would,” a young-sounding woman replied. All Clanners sounded young. As fiercely as they fought, to Rose they all sounded like inexperienced children. “You’re just upset that the Trueborn are hogging all the glory again. I’ll take you to that Tempura place you like after patrol, that’ll make you feel better.”

“Three contractions,” the first speaker replied. “You owe me Takoyaki.”

“Eat me, abtakha. Chander, what do you call a Nova Cat with a sense of humor?”

There was a momentary pause. “I do not know.”

“I don’t know either, I’ll tell you if I ever meet one.”

Another pause, a little longer than the first. “Two more contractions. Now you owe me sushi,” the speaker trailed off a a Clan BattleMech came around the corner of a building down the block. It was spindly, lanky even, like a robotic teenager. Its aircar-shaped head swiveled wildly as the pilot realized he was surrounded.

N/A

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (0/3)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Kit Fox C (2 turns remaining)
- - Parash (3 turns remaining (alerted via active probe))
- - Falcon (2 turns remaining)

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #1
- Scintilla (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- Goatface (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- Farraday (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- TheParadigm (30 ton guess) - 1 point

Unknown #2
- Gun Jam (Parash) - 3 points
- TheParadigm (Parash) - 3 points
- jng2058 (Parash) - 3 points

Unknown #3
- Gun Jam (Kit Fox C) - 3 points
- Raverrn (Kit Fox C) - 3 points
- goatface (Kit Fox C) - 3 points

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 6 points
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 4 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 28, 2017

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Woohoo, first targeted 'mech of the scenario!

Okay, strategy-wise, this may just be a brutal knife-fight. I'm at optimum range right now, so I think unloading on the thing may be my best option.

Priority-wise, the 2-turn-until-general-alerts are our primary targets right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Centurion can potentially one-shot the Falcon by flanking it thanks to the PPC Capacitor, so the Roughnecks and Bandersnatch may want to include an order to delay their shooting phase until after the Centurion attacks to avoid wasting ammo. :ssh:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PTN, will these scouts react to weapons fire in LoS? Looks like firer and target are both obscured.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Ok, looks like the Kit Fox is my main target this turn.

Charger, it looks like you can get into melee range of the Kit Fox if you run to 1041. I'll be looking to do the same by running to 0942. Will that be your primary target, too? A good punch or kick from an 80-tonner could ruin that Clanner's day.

Anybody else going after the Kit Fox? My main concern is that the Mech in 2336 will have LOS in our direction.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 28, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

PTN, will these scouts react to weapons fire in LoS? Looks like firer and target are both obscured.

They're not looking for it but it might make them suspicious. They still have to see a player unit to be alerted.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

Ok, looks like the Kit Fox is my main target this turn.

Charger, it looks like you can get into melee range of the Kit Fox if you run. Will that be your primary target, too? A good punch or kick from an 80-tonner could ruin that Clanner's day.

Anybody else going after the Kit Fox?

I will be, too, but keep an eye on the scout to the northeast. He can see pretty far down that road.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

raverrn posted:

I will be, too, but keep an eye on the scout to the northeast. He can see pretty far down that road.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Updated my original post to indicate where I'm planning to go, that should break LOS.

E: you can also run to 0841 and get decent move mods while staying out of LOS. Anybody else going after the Kit Fox shouldn't go any further north than 1043, though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

If you guys want, I can jump to 840 behind the Kit Fox, shoot it in the back and then try to sweep the leg.

Alternately, I could DFA it. :black101:

Or I could leave it to you guys and make a mad dash up the left side of the map.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait, did the pilot that spotted the GoonForce mech think it was a false positive set up for the training exercise?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would, uh, not suggest spending the small amount of leg armor you have on the Spider on DFAs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, just getting behind the Kit Fox and wrecking it's rear armor should be fine.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Now I feel bad for the Opfor. They're the kind of clanners you want in your sphere - the kind that gets converted into heathen contraction using freebirths by good asian food.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

DatonKallandor posted:

Now I feel bad for the Opfor. They're the kind of clanners you want in your sphere - the kind that gets converted into heathen contraction using freebirths by good asian food.

So, Uncle Chandy was right all along?

Heck, I can't blame them; I'd do far worst things for good gyoza and Hakata ramen.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I got a point and I am deeply ambivalent about my success.

Urbanmechs all the way down.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CourValant posted:

Heck, I can't blame them; I'd do far worst things for good gyoza and Hakata ramen.

This, but for nigiri sushi and tsukemen.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

anakha posted:

This, but for nigiri sushi and tsukemen.

Chirashi Bowl, all the way.

Also, to illustrate just how far these Clanners have fallen, they're into Takoyaki.

Seriously, their barracks are nothing more than Otaku flop houses, where they sit on the floor watching bootlegs, while cramming their mouths with octopus balls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chirashisushi is for real p. great

Because I'm already used to eating bowls of rice with stuff on top so that's just natural.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have four points, not three :colbert:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

For movement, I'm thinking 1246, although 1346 works fine for me if someone needs 1246 for ~reasons~

For gratuitous ultra-violence, thinking conditional of:
Postpone firing/initiative(?) until after Centurion AND both Roughnecks
If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 is not destroyed;
Then: Fire 4 Medium Lasers first; Then: Fire 2 LBX Autocannons loaded with Cluster Rounds
Else If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 IS destroyed;
Hold fire

I feel like I should mention that I love shotguns in FPS games, so I pretty much plan on using cluster rounds liberally assuming we can get decent holes punched in armor for crit-seeking. I figure I have the ammo for an overkill here, especially if this thing isn't dead after Centurion + 2x Roughnecks roughing it's neck. I can't conditional away a "stop firing" order, correct? I declare what I'm shooting and if it dies halfway through, tough poo poo, yeah? This order has a fair amount of heat associated with it (18 heat, if I'm calculating correctly? Unless turning counts as a move for heat calculation purposes, then it would be 19, I guess), but I think I sink 20/turn, so whatevs

As an aside, I'm seeing a decent amount of Anti-Missile systems on these guys. How does that affect my LRMs? They're a minor reason I'm not firing those this turn (the other reason being that I think we're about to murder the everloving poo poo out of this Falcon)

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

All y'all need to stop making me miss real Japanese food this instant.

I remember this place in an alley behind city hall that made tendon with shrimp the size of bratwursts and the sauce had the faintest taste of maple syrup oh god so hungry

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CourValant posted:

Chirashi Bowl, all the way.

Also, to illustrate just how far these Clanners have fallen, they're into Takoyaki.

Seriously, their barracks are nothing more than Otaku flop houses, where they sit on the floor watching bootlegs, while cramming their mouths with octopus balls.

Man, takoyaki is delicious. At least they aren't inhaling Pocky or the 31st Century equivalent.

And unagidon, tonkotsu ramen, and katsu curry all the way. I just had some of the last an hour ago, and I'm already craving some more.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH

For movement, I'm thinking 1246, although 1346 works fine for me if someone needs 1246 for ~reasons~

For gratuitous ultra-violence, thinking conditional of:
Postpone firing/initiative(?) until after Centurion AND both Roughnecks
If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 is not destroyed;
Then: Fire 4 Medium Lasers first; Then: Fire 2 LBX Autocannons loaded with Cluster Rounds
Else If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 IS destroyed;
Hold fire

I feel like I should mention that I love shotguns in FPS games, so I pretty much plan on using cluster rounds liberally assuming we can get decent holes punched in armor for crit-seeking. I figure I have the ammo for an overkill here, especially if this thing isn't dead after Centurion + 2x Roughnecks roughing it's neck. I can't conditional away a "stop firing" order, correct? I declare what I'm shooting and if it dies halfway through, tough poo poo, yeah? This order has a fair amount of heat associated with it (18 heat, if I'm calculating correctly? Unless turning counts as a move for heat calculation purposes, then it would be 19, I guess), but I think I sink 20/turn, so whatevs

As an aside, I'm seeing a decent amount of Anti-Missile systems on these guys. How does that affect my LRMs? They're a minor reason I'm not firing those this turn (the other reason being that I think we're about to murder the everloving poo poo out of this Falcon)

Yea, once you start shooting a target if it dies after you've shot only half your weapons you can't swap to a new target. You can only conditionally change targets in the case that your target is dead before you start firing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

as an aside, I'm seeing a decent amount of Anti-Missile systems on these guys. How does that affect my LRMs? They're a minor reason I'm not firing those this turn (the other reason being that I think we're about to murder the everloving poo poo out of this Falcon)

AMS only protects the `Mech that's carrying them, they reduce the number of hits by burning ammo to add -2 to the missile table. One AMS can affect one missile system per turn.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

anakha posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Updated my original post to indicate where I'm planning to go, that should break LOS.

E: you can also run to 0841 and get decent move mods while staying out of LOS. Anybody else going after the Kit Fox shouldn't go any further north than 1043, though.

We need to avoid the whole line of sight - moving though it is as good as stopping in it. The Von Rohrs is good where I am, but I don't think the Quickdraw or Charger can get LoS this turn without being spotted.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

raverrn posted:

We need to avoid the whole line of sight - moving though it is as good as stopping in it. The Von Rohrs is good where I am, but I don't think the Quickdraw or Charger can get LoS this turn without being spotted.

You're probably right. Let me double-check that.

PTN, will the Mech in 2336 be alerted if any Mech passes through 1440 this turn?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Centurion can potentially one-shot the Falcon by flanking it thanks to the PPC Capacitor, so the Roughnecks and Bandersnatch may want to include an order to delay their shooting phase until after the Centurion attacks to avoid wasting ammo. :ssh:

I don't have ammo. :colbert:

None of the revealed enemies are Star Commanders. The Kit Fox is not fast enough to disengage and run away from the Roughnecks, let alone the faster units in the area. All of the enemies are not particularly good pilots, and all of them are relatively low on firepower save the Falcon, which is "merely" anemic. I set myself up for a perfect shot at the Falcon, and I will take my shot at the Falcon.

Other Roughneck, Centurion let's blow the gently caress out of this guy. :black101: PTN's suggestion for Robert to fire after the other two of us is a good one. Sentinel, Bandersnatch, the theme of the turn is "MAXIMUM VIOLENCE". If the Falcon is dead before you shoot, perfect. If it's not, we need to not waste the opportunity to really, really make sure that it's dead.

Charger, Quickdraw, you both have the movement speed (at a run) to get all up in that Kit Fox's face from both of the hexes to its front. It will not appreciate that. At all. It's slow enough that you can repeat next turn, if it's necessary. Von Rohrs, you have the MP to get to the Kit Fox's side while being equally up close and personal. This also puts you in good position to go after the Parash next turn if the Kit Fox ends up murdered really hard in the face.

Spider, you can make it to perfect range on the Parash to start loving it up, but probably shouldn't because that scout is suspicious and you're in a very visible position to jump out of. Hitman you can do practically the same weaving around the Falcon and using your MASC.

***Disclaimer: these are suggestions, not demands. This is also the only turn I'll be even a quarter this thorough with them, because this turn feels really important.***

***Disclaimer IIC: Under the above, the Charger, Quickdraw, and Von Rohrs would all be momentarily visible. The above is operating under the assumption that the orange scout will turn to investigate, since the visibility would only be during movement; the destination hexes are out of LOS.***

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ugh, I was just about to post my guesses when the internet went out. Here are my other two now that the Kit Fox is revealed:

Unknown 4 - Morrigan
Unknown 5 - Arctic Wolf

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

anakha posted:

You're probably right. Let me double-check that.

PTN, will the Mech in 2336 be alerted if any Mech passes through 1440 this turn?

This is the critical question for this turn. If yes, that makes the entire line from 2336 to 1042 hot, and forces us to choose between alerting something we more than likely can't catch, or losing a halfway-decent chance to cripple the Kit Fox this turn.

If it comes to it, I'd go with the latter. Maybe we could try to squeeze the Hitman and/or Mongoose behind the Falcon at 948 to put some pressure on the Parash, we are going to have to multitask for these next two turns.

PTN, will mission kills work the same in this scenario as previously? Getting a leg blown off doesn't mean your radio stops working, after all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The radio and training fluff does explain why alerts aren't happening instantaneously, too, which is a nice detail.

And the answer is "because the Clanners are idiots."

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

I said in my previous movement order to turn right two hex faces to face 1342. That would allow me to run to 0942 and end the movement facing north to open up on the Kit Fox and leave room for the Quickdraw to jump to 1041. Will that cause too much of a problem with that scout at 2336 seeing the movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm ok with running to either 1041 or 0942, but that depends on PTN's clarification on the Mech in 2336.

After what happened last turn, I'm hesitant to use jump jets again given PTN's warning in the previous page.

• Locked thread