Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mercenarynuker posted:

Yeah, I know you said it most likely wasn't in LOS, but what are the rules for determining that? That alley looks like a decently clear shot to me (ignoring all my meatbuddies populating it). I figured any early damage I might possibly be able to get on it is worthwhile, regardless

The way it works is you draw a straight line from the center of one hex to the other, and if the line touches any of the hexes that block Los (buildings, in this case) the you don't have it. If it runs straight along a hex border without passing in to the hex at all, then it's a 50/50 thing, and the person being shot at can decide whether Los exists or not.

PTN posted an example of doing the Z axis version of Los checking in this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1955&perpage=40#post476895557

It's only a few pixels clipping the edges of those buildings, but that's all it takes.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Horizontal line of sight is easier because it always splits the difference. Basically, you find your straight-line distance and then do some basic division. It's easy enough with two rows: If there are 7 hexes between a `Mech and its target you draw three hexes out from the attacker (7/2 = 3), move over a row, and then draw four hexes to the target.

The shooter's hex isn't counted for distance but the target's hex is, so the biggest "challenge" is actually even numbered ranges, because they create an odd number of hexes between the shooter and the target so there can be 'borderline' hexes where the LOS can be drawn through two different paths.

I'll post an example in an hour when I get home from work.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 1, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
PTN's Horizontal Line of Sight Primer

Horizontal Line of Sight is incredibly easy to determine.

Take the distance between the Attacker and the Defender in hexes, add 1, and divide by the offset.

Example 1: Kit Fox vs. Von Rohrs

The Kit Fox is 3 hexes away from the Von Rohrs. 3+1 = 4. The offset is 2 (the Von Rohrs is one "row" away from sharing a hex row with the Kit Fox). 4/2 = 2

So to establish line of sight, move down two hexes, move over one, and move down two more hexes (total distance 4 hexes). The Kit Fox has Line of Sight to the Von Rohrs.

Example 2: Kit Fox vs. Pink Roughneck

The Pink Roughneck is 4 hexes away. 4+1=5! The offset is still 2. 5/2 = 2.5 Uh-oh!

Line of Sight could be drawn between either of those middle 2 hexes, which means the first unit to defend gets to pick which hex line of sight is drawn through.

Example 3: Kit Fox vs. Korean Robert

5 hexes away. 5+1=6, 6/2=3

The LOS will always be drawn through that building hex, so Line of Sight can never exist.

Example 3: Kit Fox vs. Bandersnatch?!

The Bandersnatch is 8 hexes away, but has a bigger offset. When determining the offset on the 3 hex axis, you always choose the shortest distance. So in this case, because 1041-1433 is 5 hexes and 1433-1446 is 4 hexes, our offset is 4!

8+1=9, 9/4 = 2.25 uh-oh!

The contentious hex pair could be argued to happen any time Line of Sight shifts a row, but it's usually easiest to put it in the middle.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have been laboring for years under the impression that the first determinant for LOS was draw a straight line between the two hexes in question, if that line crossed a LOS blocking hex by even a couple pixels then LOS was blocked. If the two hexes are exactly on line with each other, you'd determine things like that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

I have been laboring for years under the impression that the first determinant for LOS was draw a straight line between the two hexes in question, if that line crossed a LOS blocking hex by even a couple pixels then LOS was blocked. If the two hexes are exactly on line with each other, you'd determine things like that.

That's the easiest way, yeah, but it's not perfect. A line should get you close enough that you can eyeball it.

You can tell at a glance that Line of Sight exists

But this is how that line is actually drawn:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hate to be "that guy" but I'm 100% certain that the clause "exactly between two hexes" only occurs if the line of sight is literally passing along the border of two hexes. In the case of Kit Fox and (my) Roughneck, both of the hexes in question are in the LOS calculation.

BattleMech Manual, pg. 22 posted:

Normally, in order to attack a target, a clear line of sight
(LOS) must exist between the attacker and the target. A straight
line running from the center of the attacker’s hex to the center of
the target’s hex defines the LOS between two ’Mechs. Any hexes
through which this line passes lie along the LOS, even if the line
barely touches the corner of a hex.
If the LOS passes exactly between two hexes, the player
controlling the targeted ’Mech decides which of the two hexes lie
along the LOS.

Since the line passes through the building hex, it is automatically included in the LOS, and the LOS is therefore blocked. In this situation it doesn't matter a whole lot, because since I'm not engaging the Kit Fox and I'm pretty sure as the permanent initiative loser you'd be declaring targets first anyway and I'd pick "there is no LOS".

I remember when I first tried playing BattleTech out of the intro box my brother and I got into a big fight about range and LOS (we were like 12 :v:) because after reading that page in the intro rulebook I thought it meant that every hex the line passed through counted for LOS and also range (which is really, really wrong. :v:).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ I'm sure that's the case, but I do this to give the players the benefit of the doubt. I'm smart enough to adjudicate without requiring the target be in one of the Purgatory Hexes.

These are the hexes that cause 90% of Line of Sight questions.

Edit: Dice really do not like the Falcon's right arm.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 1, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Dice really do not like the Falcon's right arm.

:munch:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am comforted by this, because a Light 'Mech arm has finite durability and after that it's the crunchy innards.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Falcon asked unto the dice: may I keep at least one of my arms?

And the Dice replied: No, gently caress off idiot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

When the dice sass you that hard, at least you can claim you were Diss armed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 5

Mahesh had been in enough simulator battles to know when he was in a losing fight. For a young Clanner to encounter a real battle on a training excursion wasn’t that rare: cadets were often used to hunt small packs of chalcas bandits, but for cadets to engage in an actual ‘Mech battle before their eighteenth birthday was unheard of. This might just be another test—but the explosions looked real. He weighed his options in silence, the enemy hadn’t turned towards him. He could move in, hope for a lucky shot at the enemy’s back, and then—die, almost certainly. He was ready to die for his Clan, he just didn’t want to die as a cadet.

He kicked the Kit Fox up to speed. The boxy gun platform wouldn’t be his ‘Mech of choice once he graduated, but it was an almost perfect training machine for a Trueborn. His was a mixed sibko, the Hell’s Horses were more egalitarian than many Clans. They valued the contributions of their freebirths, and expected their warriors to get along. Letting True learn beside Free also let their genetically enhanced superiority shine through: it gave them a baseline to measure themselves against. Mahesh was a superior warrior, although he couldn’t find fault with Teija’s bravery or Halvor’s determined stoicism.

All the same, the best course of action was to get clear and report in. The Kit Fox’s spindly legs gave the machine an awkward, bobbing gait as he charged down a side alley. He’d confirmed the presence of enemy units. Star Commander Nthanda would know how to proceed.

As he rounded the corner of a parking garage he brought the Kit Fox to a sparking halt. His targeting computer blatted a warning as he blundered into one—no, two enemy Assault `Mechs. How they’d flanked him undetected he didn’t know—or had he gotten turned around and blundered into them by mistake? The Kit Fox lurched as it slowed to a stop and its bird-like legs began to backpedal. He needed to get clear.

It was only a moment later he realized if he’d have kept running he’d have had a straight line shot to link up with Halvor.

Movement Phase
Mongoose
- Activates MASC! Must pass a 3+ test: rolled 7, succeeds!

Hitman
- Activates MASC! Must pass a 3+ test: rolled 12, succeeds!

Von Rohrs
- Unable to enter hex 1045: Hex already occupied! Movement ends early in hex 1043!

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Reserves until after the Von Rohrs!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Fires PPC at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range + 1 narrow profile = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires PPC at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range + 1 narrow profile = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (3/8 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (8/13 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (8/13 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (5/13 armor remaining)!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Reserves until after the Roughneck DSI!

Centurion (Player)
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/PPC Capacitor (charged) at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 improved targeting (short) + 1 narrow profile = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/12 armor, 4/7 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 improved targeting (short) + 1 narrow profile = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (0/13 armor, 2/7 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 improved targeting (short) + 1 narrow profile = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (0/8 armor, 3/5 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1549!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Parash (5 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (6/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Parash (5 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 stabilized weapon = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Parash (5 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 stabilized weapon = 7): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (13/16 armor remaining)!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (1/6 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (5/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (11/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires TAG at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 accurate weapon = 5): rolled 9, hit! Target tagged!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (0/7 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (3/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (0/14 armor remaining)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (7/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Parash (3 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks !

Quickdraw (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks !

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Fires PPC at Falcon (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 8): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (0/8 armor, 3/5 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 32!

Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle (Clan) at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile + 2 minimum range = 9): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (0/10 structure remaining)! Target destroyed!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser (Clan) at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/5 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (5/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser (Clan) at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/12 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Laser at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 8, hit Center Torso!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Falcon (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 12, hit Center Torso! TAC!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Primary target already destroyed!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Falcon
- Fires ER Large Laser at Roughneck DSI (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Roughneck DSI (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (22/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Roughneck DSI (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (13/18 armor remaining)!

Parash
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Hitman (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (0/7 armor, 2/5 structure remaining)! Crit!

Kit Fox C
- Fires ER Large Laser at Von Rohrs (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, miss!

End Phase:
Hitman
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!

Parash
- Critical chance in Left Arm: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Lower arm actuator hit!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (0/3)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Kit Fox C (1 turns remaining)
- - Parash (2 turns remaining (alerted via active probe))

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #1
- Scintilla (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- Goatface (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- Farraday (30 ton guess) - 1 point
- TheParadigm (30 ton guess) - 1 point

Unknown #2
- Gun Jam (Parash) - 3 points
- TheParadigm (Parash) - 3 points
- jng2058 (Parash) - 3 points

Unknown #3
- Gun Jam (Kit Fox C) - 3 points
- Raverrn (Kit Fox C) - 3 points
- goatface (Kit Fox C) - 3 points

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 6 points
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 3 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 2, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

Turning two hexsides right, moving two forward, turning one hexside right, moving one forward. I will fire all four Medium Lasers and the Small Laser, then I will punch the Kit Fox in the back of the face. The Kit Fox managed to generate a +2 TMM, I'll have +2 movement mod for running, I should be hitting with guns on 8s, and fists will hit on 7s. A kick will hit on 6s, but depending on how weapons fire works I'll be better able to generate crits and explosive damage with fists.

PTN, question: Can I in my contingencies nominate damage states for physical attacks? For example, can I say "Punch the Kit Fox with both arms, unless a kick could destroy a leg outright"?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

PTN, question: Can I in my contingencies nominate damage states for physical attacks? For example, can I say "Punch the Kit Fox with both arms, unless a kick could destroy a leg outright"?

Nope.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Friendly reminder that that a single kick from the Charger will see the Kit Fox's leg break like a happy meal toy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It just occurred to me that the Horses are the combined arms Clan. I hope they don't have a bunch of tanks lying in wait. :tinfoil:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dang. Oh well, punches it is!

Just a heads up to everyone, that is definitely the move I'm going to be submitting. Going after the Parash would not benefit anyone very much, and we don't want to go after anything else.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Your map link is broken because of a malformed tag.

Also, nice swarm on the Falcon and Parash. The latter shouldn't survive the next turn, and neither should the Kit Fox with the amount of firepower weighted against it. After those two are gone, you guys should have a clear corridor up the left side of the map until you hit the avenue, with the exception of the one light going around the stadium. Shouldn't be too bad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The kitfox, having no jets, only needs 3 mechs to block it in (and almost certainly kill it), while the rest of you all are free to focus down the much more dangerous 7 hex jumper with the LPL.

e: However!
The Probable heavy is going to once again have LoS on that column where the kitfox is, it's next patrol point is 2137. Goons do NOT want to be standing in line with the kit fox, otherwise they'll be alerting another enemy on the coming turn's movement, one that is well positioned to avoid their massed fire.

This means that the Charger can still safely kick from 1342, but anyone else attacking the kit fox should use hexes like 1441 or 0942.
I may be being overly cautious, but even with almost everyone focusing on the Parash there's absolutely no guarantee that it goes down this turn, and you don't want things to snowball out of control.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 2, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Strobe posted:

Dang. Oh well, punches it is!

Just a heads up to everyone, that is definitely the move I'm going to be submitting. Going after the Parash would not benefit anyone very much, and we don't want to go after anything else.

Kicks are more accurate and a 65 ton kick will instantly strip its leg armor and force a potentially crippling crit roll.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dis astranagant posted:

Kicks are more accurate and a 65 ton kick will instantly strip its leg armor and force a potentially crippling crit roll.

The Kit Fox has 4 rear torso armor and five tons of ammo in its two side torsos, plus the Roughneck has the Battle Fists quirk which means that the difference is a single point (one chance at 6 for the kick, versus two chances at 7 for the punches).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
^^ check my edit above, it might be a real bad idea to close in with direct melee on the Kit Fox depending on the patrols to the north east. It's probably that it'll fall over and leave you visible to the heavy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Time to terminate that Kit Fox with extreme prejudice.

Frosty, take note, though - it reversed into a spot where you can't engage it in melee without alerting the Mech currently in 1935 next turn. Its patrol path will bring it into LOS of the Kit Fox and that diagonal stretch next turn.

Might be better to forego melee and position yourself where you won't be seen from 2137.

I'm planning to run to 1543 myself and work the Kit Fox over with my MLs.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 2, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Units don't block line of sight in the first place, and even though you have a good point about it moving again next turn, at that point I'll have a full turn of movement available and weapons that are entirely capable of reaching out and touching someone against a +1 enemy TMM. If the Von Rohrs and the other Roughneck follow me we should be able to put significant firepower downrange and be in good position to advance to meet it in the next turn.

What we cannot do for any reason is leave that Kit Fox alive, and risking the entire mission on a Charger's kick not failing, even on a 5+, strikes me as a bad idea. A "merely" 75% chance to not lose the scenario (or at least be put in a really, really bad place to keep going) is just begging for :battletech:.

EDIT: if we assume that under the weight of significant firepower that the Kit Fox is destroyed, I will be able to walk forward 4 hexes to achieve a range of 6 hexes from the Heavy (or slow Light/Medium). This will allow me to hit on 8s with Medium Lasers and 6s with PPCs unless the target has Narrow/Low Profile. The Charger and Quickdraw will likewise be in a position to engage, as will the Von Rohrs and other Roughneck. The turn after that, the Heavy(?) could very well move to engage us, since they're still Clan warriors.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 2, 2017

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

Zaodai posted:

It just occurred to me that the Horses are the combined arms Clan. I hope they don't have a bunch of tanks lying in wait. :tinfoil:

Look at the orange blips. The ones farthest North.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LegendairyBovine posted:

Look at the orange blips. The ones farthest North.

I meant further south (IE ones we can't see on sensors, because they're in a building or something), but you make a fair point. A Demolisher in an alley would be a horrible surprise.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Thinking about moving forward one space to Hex 1047 and spinning around to unload at the Parash.with MLs and LBXs. Don't see much point in using LRMs on it except to waste ammo. I think I have something like 16 turns worth of LRM ammo, though. That said, unless someone can convince me that I should yes absodeffolutely fire LRMs, I'll probably hold off.

Comedy option: spin around, charge past it, shoot it in the back with my rear facing small laser

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
PTN, are we going with the thing where all minimum range penalties are +2, regardless of how deep/shallow you are in the minimum range bracket?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shoot your missiles.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Strobe posted:

Shoot your missiles.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Strobe posted:

Units don't block line of sight in the first place, and even though you have a good point about it moving again next turn, at that point I'll have a full turn of movement available and weapons that are entirely capable of reaching out and touching someone against a +1 enemy TMM. If the Von Rohrs and the other Roughneck follow me we should be able to put significant firepower downrange and be in good position to advance to meet it in the next turn.

What we cannot do for any reason is leave that Kit Fox alive, and risking the entire mission on a Charger's kick not failing, even on a 5+, strikes me as a bad idea. A "merely" 75% chance to not lose the scenario (or at least be put in a really, really bad place to keep going) is just begging for :battletech:.

EDIT: if we assume that under the weight of significant firepower that the Kit Fox is destroyed, I will be able to walk forward 4 hexes to achieve a range of 6 hexes from the Heavy (or slow Light/Medium). This will allow me to hit on 8s with Medium Lasers and 6s with PPCs unless the target has Narrow/Low Profile. The Charger and Quickdraw will likewise be in a position to engage, as will the Von Rohrs and other Roughneck. The turn after that, the Heavy(?) could very well move to engage us, since they're still Clan warriors.

I'm not saying to rely only on the Charger's kick, the Von Rohrs, Quickdraw, and Charger can and should all shoot as well, since they can do so safely out of los of the coming patrol. Given how little armor the Kit Fox has, 10 medium/pulse lasers, a ppc, two SRMs, and a flamer are more than enough to kill or mission kill.

I don't think you have the following turn of player movement to escape it's notice though. That's just a minor advantage in this scenario of PTN always moving first.

That, and I think you're heavily over-estimating how quickly GoonForce can kill a newly alerted patrol without also setting off further chains of alerts, given the desnity of the routes to the east, and the fact that the new unit is likely a heavy with more than enough armor to last 2-3 turns if it breaks los even once. (Especially when it's still an open question if the Parash can be killed quickly enough, because most everyone shooting at it is going to need at least 8s. Once you start pushing up to hit numbers like a jump 7 narrow profile light can do, you have to start getting lucky.

(I mean I don't want to over-state it either because goons do have a good quantity of LBX and pulse on their side, too, but the whole name of the game is to see who can tempt the whim of the dice the least).

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH

Thinking about moving forward one space to Hex 1047 and spinning around to unload at the Parash.with MLs and LBXs. Don't see much point in using LRMs on it except to waste ammo. I think I have something like 16 turns worth of LRM ammo, though. That said, unless someone can convince me that I should yes absodeffolutely fire LRMs, I'll probably hold off.

Comedy option: spin around, charge past it, shoot it in the back with my rear facing small laser

It is blocking your movement by being there, so you'll have to leave the backstabbing to the Spider this time I think. Not much to gain by moving forward, either, since the range on that cLPL from the parash is so long. If you moved forward and turned fully around all you'd do is make your to hit numbers worse by running instead of walking.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 2, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm not expecting to escape its notice, I'm expecting to have a good turn of movement to close distance and start unloading, after which smart money bets on it advancing toward us and not retreating. I cannot emphasize enough that we cannot let that Kit Fox live. If the choice is between "a good chance the Kit Fox dies, and no additional timers start" and "an excellent chance the Kit Fox dies, and one additional timer starts" I'll take the latter every time in this situation.

As it stands, there are only two hexes we can fire at the Kit Fox from and not alert the Heavy next turn. One is to its immediate front right, the other is 0942. All the others, if the Kit Fox doesn't decide to engage first (and why would it?) it can choose to block LOS with the building, or LOS doesn't exist in the first place. I, for one, am not comfortable with those odds even with the Charger's kick.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 2, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1441 is available to the Quickdraw

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I stand corrected. Still deeeeefinitely more comfortable with unloading irresponsible amounts of firepower into that little thing, even if it alerts another enemy. The Kit Fox's timer is the single most important thing on this board this turn.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

Does the "Barrel Fist (LA)" quirk on my 'Mech mean I have a more powerful punch if I don't fire the Pulse Laser on that arm, or will it be better to just fire all the lasers and kick instead?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Good turn, not perfect, but good. The Kit Fox not taking the bait makes our traffic jam in the 10xx line a moot point, but we might end up regretting not putting more shots on the Parash while it had such a low move mod.

To my eyes, we might have 6 hexes that can fire on the Kit Fox without being spotted next turn: 1342 (Charger), 1441/1442 (Quickdraw), 942 (Von Rohrs), and maybe 742 (Mongoose or Hitman) and 1141 (Spider). The Kit Fox should only have a +1 move mod, since the back-and-forth of its last two hexes shouldn't count. I'm willing to trust that level of firepower (Charger - shoot your missiles), especially since most of it will be hitting on 6s.

We've also got 5 hexes with LOS to the Parash: 948, 1047, 1046, 1147, and 1246, and 5 mechs to fill them: both Roughnecks, Bandersnatch, Centurion, Sentinel.

If the Hitman wants to live dangerously, it can hit MASC again and reach 1547. I wouldn't though, because it'll have better shots on the Kit Fox than the Mongoose will from 742 and won't risk its legs seizing up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Movement mods are calculated by "number of hexes entered", so the Kit Fox is up to a +2 thanks to entering 5 hexes that turn.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Strobe posted:

Movement mods are calculated by "number of hexes entered", so the Kit Fox is up to a +2 thanks to entering 5 hexes that turn.

I think it's 'unique' hexes entered, which prevents mechs from building up a +2 or 3 by doing the hokey pokey between two hexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A good poster posted:

Charger

Does the "Barrel Fist (LA)" quirk on my 'Mech mean I have a more powerful punch if I don't fire the Pulse Laser on that arm, or will it be better to just fire all the lasers and kick instead?

Definitely fire all lasers+ kick, because you can't make physical attacks with arms or legs that fired weapons in the same turn. I think the barrel fist thing is just cosmetic?

• Locked thread