Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

If I press forward, the best I can manage is 1644 (which I know the Charger was looking at). I'm worried that if I stop short in 1545, then if the next target saunters down the 1400 line like someone earlier mapped out, I'll be exposed to LOS. Or I only move up two hexes to the wreck of the Parash. Does it cost extra movement to ENTER the downed mech's hex, or to leave it?

If I want to eschew that movement and re-route around the back alley, I can only make it to 1044 this round, and next round my movement would end in 1341, which I don't think has LOS to the projected arrival point of 1439 for the incoming enemy mech. Any advice? I really feel like moving forward just a couple hexes might be the best play for me here

I think Mary Annette called dibs on 1644.

Yeah, looks like your best option is just moving a couple of hexes to 1346. Your firepower definitely needs to be available next turn if we want to put down that Star Commander quickly.

Spider/Mongoose/Hitman - yeah, you guys are probably better off moving up the left side of the map. There's a probable traffic jam where the Star Commander is headed, and we should probably prioritize the guys with the most firepower for the ambush.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Orders sent. Jumped to 0643.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Any movement recommendations? I'm sick as a dog and have almost no tactical thoughts right now, plus I'd rather not accidentally cause us all to be discovered by bumbling somewhere stupid.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

I've been reconsidering my move. Think I'm going to try to stick to the southwest side of the map, or at least start getting there. The movement options are too restricted next turn if that heavy doesn't move. It's got fantastic LOS coverage.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hedningen posted:

Roughneck DSI
Any movement recommendations? I'm sick as a dog and have almost no tactical thoughts right now, plus I'd rather not accidentally cause us all to be discovered by bumbling somewhere stupid.

Assuming max movement, you can either move to 0748 to support the scouts moving up the left side of the map or to 1044 to potentially help out in the ambush.

Given the presence of the cadet in 2137 and where it'll probably end up next turn, I'd suggest the former.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Orders submitted, posted here for posterity:

MOVEMENT:
Move forward 2 hexes to Hex 1346 (2mp + 1mp rough terrain)

SHOOTING:
Hold fire this turn

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Moving to 0848 facing 0748. Should be 6MP.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

Roughneck "Frosty"

I've been reconsidering my move. Think I'm going to try to stick to the southwest side of the map, or at least start getting there. The movement options are too restricted next turn if that heavy doesn't move. It's got fantastic LOS coverage.

Yeah, after considering it even more I'm heading to 1044 heading north. I was going to cross the road and hug the buildings to help setup the ambush on the Kit Fox, but moving through the wreckage throws a wrench in that one. At 1044 I've got some options, even if some of those options involve backpedaling from a scout, or blocking routes for the scout to go investigating.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Von Rohrs taking 1043.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Apologies in advance to folks. I got totally eaten up by work yesterday and missed orders. Hopefully the Hitman isn't in a spot to get seen by the oncoming Star Commander.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
PTN might not even be home yet to start working on the update, no reason not to send him something now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The only thing that will stop me from accepting movement orders is if I've already started rolling combat dice, and since nobody's shooting anything this turn dot dot dot

Edit: Ok, dice have been rolled so now it's too late.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 11, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Wait, who was doing stuff requiring dice?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
ooooh goddammit

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

raverrn posted:

Wait, who was doing stuff requiring dice?

The Yakuza forces, clearly. Gotta do something to pass the time, right? Though I have no idea if Space Yakuza would actually shoot craps or not, I feel like in Battletech they probably would.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

The Yakuza forces, clearly. Gotta do something to pass the time, right? Though I have no idea if Space Yakuza would actually shoot craps or not, I feel like in Battletech they probably would.

There's some dice rolling involved in the beginning of mahjong games, which would be a more stereotypical thing for yakuza to play, but they'd need a fourth leg to make a table, so it's probably not that. That high-low dice game that I'm forgetting the name of, maybe?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

GhostStalker posted:

There's some dice rolling involved in the beginning of mahjong games, which would be a more stereotypical thing for yakuza to play, but they'd need a fourth leg to make a table, so it's probably not that. That high-low dice game that I'm forgetting the name of, maybe?

There are so many 'Japanese' gambling games which involve dice.

Pai Gow - Dice Rolling for the Draw.
Odd/Even - Dice Rolling to set the 'subtractor' on a group of stones.
Fish/Shrimp/Crab - Where you literally roll dice with fish, shrimp, crab on the face to see which up 'comes up'.
Big/small - Where you literally roll 3 dice and see if you hit the threshold for above or below a certain point.

List goes on, Asians love to gamble.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GhostStalker posted:

The high/low game had occurred to me, though I wasn't sure it was still played in modern times since I was only familiar with it from older settings. I didn't know enough about Mahjong to know it had dice rolling at the start, so there you go.

I still like the mental image of them playing craps, if only for how American-ized gangster it would be, and the cultural mismatch is perfect for Battletech. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 7

A tracer flashed past Minami Takuya’s cockpit, a half-meter or so distant as an autocannon slammed shots into the office building behind him. He winced and in place, too surprised to fire back. The Von Rohrs’ ancient computer systems had up to date Jane’s, but the file system was so archaic it took almost two seconds to identify the Clan UrbanMech that had opened fire the moment he’d stepped into sight.

Even an experienced Mechwarrior would have found the Von Rohrs’ cockpit cramped and confusing. Buttons for the target interlock circuits were right next to the engine fuel controls. The weapon arming switches were on the ceiling, where most ‘Mechs kept their communication gear, and the buttons surrounding the damage diagnostic display actually managed the communications systems. An inexperienced Mechwarrior, Minami had no idea how confusing the Von Rohrs’ layout should have been—so when the collision warning light flashed on the console right next to the enemy target lock light, it only took him a moment to realize he was about to back straight into Valten Ryder’s Centurion.

He brought his venerable BattleMech to a halt—and then cursed. He was exposed, trapped in the open, and the UrbanMech had a clear shot. At least, it did until a second Clan machine rounded the corner in front of it. That probably spared him from a second salvo. Either that, or the UrbanMech’s autocannon was still reloading.

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Centurion (Player)
- Charges PPC Capacitor
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 24!

Quickdraw (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 36!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 32!

Urbanmech IIC
- Fires Ultra AC/10 (Single) at Von Rohrs (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (3/5)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Urbanmech IIC (2 turns remaining)
- - Shadowcat A (1 turn remaining)

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #6 – Urbanmech IIC
- No correct or partially correct guesses :saddowns:

Unknown #7 – Shadowcat A
- Gun Jam (Shadowcat) - 3 points

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 9 points
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 4 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well that's not good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well that's deeply unfortunate. Did the Centurion pilot post in here in the last few pages to coordinate?

Shadow Cat has a TMM of 1, UrbanMech IIC has a 0 but we have an extra turn for it.

Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm going to be moving to 1142 facing 1241. That will get me to range on all non-Small Laser weapons (long for the Mediums, medium for the PPCs) at a Walk. That should get me a 4 (gunnery) + 1 (walk) + 1 (TMM) + 2/4 (range) + 1 (Narrow Profile) to hit, for 9s/11s. That's the best I'm going to be able to get.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Well that's deeply unfortunate. Did the Centurion pilot post in here in the last few pages to coordinate?

The Von Rohrs was getting spotted by the UrbanMech no matter what, the only question was whether or not it would be seen by the Shadowcat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Well, that's gonna blow, but it's not the end of the world yet. I'm bum-rushing to 1639 and dumping fire on the Shadowcat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Goooons :cripes:

You have a chance if the Shadow Cat charges in, but if it goes south at all there's no way to put it down in time barring extreme acts of Battletech this turn.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Shadowcat is one turn from calling for reinforcements, so unless I misunderstand, they need to kill it next turn. It already moved, so where it'll move to the following turn shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: nvm vv

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
- 1 turn remaining
- 0 turns remaining
- reinforcements called. :ssh:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I hope none of you take this personally but I am rooting for Cadet Halvor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

farraday posted:

I hope none of you take this personally but I am rooting for Cadet Halvor.

It is always acceptable to root for an Urbie.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hey you guys found a Star Commander. Mechs don't block line of sight to other mechs, right? So a nice conga line should get a lot of guns on that Shadowhawk.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I knew we were gonna see an Urbie.

However, now that it's revealed, I hope Goonlance takes out the trash posthaste.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Love that the potentially dangerous not a light because moves too slow turns out to be an Urbie.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Make sure you all know where your going and don't cause a big dumb pileup when you move. You need as much fire on that Shadowcat as you can since it probably jumped there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Time to dogpile a Star Commander y'alls.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Please notify the thread as well what hex you plan to head to. This last turn just showed why such visible coordination is needed.

vv Not sure if I agree with that approach, though. We've got plenty of people willing to offer advice on where to go that having contingency movement plans without consulting the thread shouldn't be needed.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

Please notify the thread as well what hex you plan to head to. This last turn just showed why such visible coordination is needed.

That was a back-up move, the Centurion's primary destination was blocked by friendlies. Things happen, it hasn't cost you anything yet.

I guarantee the heaviest patrolling unit is not a Star Commander.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was a back-up move, the Centurion's primary destination was blocked by friendlies. Things happen, it hasn't cost you anything yet.

I guarantee the heaviest patrolling unit is not a Star Commander.

Star Colonel confirmed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I also want to reiterate: getting spotted is not a big deal, and getting the reserves called just turns the mission into a race.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It's fine, its fine, everything is fine. I'm planning on 1142 to be just within short ppc range of the shadowcat and introducing it to the ol' 1 2 punch.

Also: Contingencies; because it doesn't cost anything to leave a line at the bottom of your orders that reads like 'in the event of unforeseen consequences, shoot all non-ammo consuming guns at any/easiest target of opportunity'

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think you can leave a contingency that just says "fire energy weapons at the target with the best to-hit". I think you have to specify targets, in case the one you wanted got blowed up before your turn came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zaodai posted:

I don't think you can leave a contingency that just says "fire energy weapons at the target with the best to-hit". I think you have to specify targets, in case the one you wanted got blowed up before your turn came up.

I think the general rule with contingencies is that PTN won't make decisions or do math for you, so saying something like "the most dangerous target" or "the easiest shot" won't be accepted, but you'll probably be okay with "the closest enemy".

• Locked thread