Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And they make for hilarious plays when you dunk that jumpy nimble pulseboat in the mall parking garage.

(It's the uncivilized space 80s, it has to have malls.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

A good poster posted:

Charger

I see two choices here. I can leg it around the H36 building to 1540 (I could reach 1639, but someone already called it) and fire on the Shadowcat, or I could jump to 2142, fire on the Urbanmech, and be able to stroll north next turn and probably have a good shot on wherever either 'Mech goes next. What do you all think is better?

I'm going with that 1540 choice, in case anyone else needs to plan around that.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Gonna swing around east and try to cut off their options/hem them in. Orders posted for posterity

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 6 hexes to Hex 1943 (6mp)

SHOOTING:
Do not fire this turn

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Another LOS check, please.

What could I see from 2140 and 2239?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Headed to 0644 to support the left pincer in what will be undoubtedly hailed as this thread's most left-est plan of movement.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Jumping to 0336.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Another LOS check, please.

What could I see from 2140 and 2239?

2140 gives you LOS to both the Shadow Cat and Urbie, 2239 looks like it gives you LOS to the former only.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I feel like it's been ages since anyone was at risk of being legged by gunfire.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 8

Captain D’antonio kicked her Mongoose up to full speed. She hovered her hand momentarily over the MASC controls before deciding against it, she’d save the extra speed for combat, or for evading enemy forces if it came to that. Swift as a Locust, it was hard to call what the Mongoose did running. The Locust was known for its hopping, birdlike gait, but the Mongoose was something else entirely. A combination of standard bipedal digitigrade legs, and the retrograde legs of the Locust, the Mongoose could stretch its legs farther than other designs. At a full run, she guessed it probably spent at least half the time with neither foot on the ground.

Its tiny, cloven feet were perfect for absorbing the shock of its movements, but the Mongoose had a much higher surface pressure than other ‘Mechs. That meant a running Mongoose would regularly shatter standard concrete surfaces that even heavy BattleMechs wouldn’t. Of course, that was hardly a problem in the Imperial City. Nearly every surface was reinforced ferrocrete—which required far less maintenance and could easily withstand the heat and pressure of a landing DropShip. The sheer expense of the city she was running through was staggering—a single stray shot could wind up costing the Draconis Suns more than a company of BattleMechs. That’s why it was so important to get this right.

“Rapallino, the others have it well in hand. Come with me, we’re going to try to get some eyes—or at least probes—on some of the other patrollers. I’d like to give the others at least some idea of what’s coming.”

“Roger,” came Narinder’s amused reply. “Leave the fighting to the heavies, save the scouting for the scouts.”

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Fires PPC at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires PPC at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 9): rolled 12, hit Right Leg (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (5/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Centurion (Player)
- Fires Snub-nose PPC w/PPC Capacitor (charged) at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 1 improved targeting (short) = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (3/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Snub-nose PPC at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 1 improved targeting (short) = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (0/18 armor, 4/11 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (5/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (2/10 armor remaining)!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (12/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (0/11 structure remaining)! Leg blown off! ‘Mech Destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (13/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg Center Torso (7/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Cat A (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile + 2 minimum range = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24!

Quickdraw (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (3/5 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (5/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 36!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 32!

Shadow Cat A
- Fires ER Large Laser at Centurion (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (7/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Centurion (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Centurion (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Left Leg (22/24 armor remaining), Right Arm (14/16 armor remaining), Right Leg (22/24 armor remaining), Right Arm (12/16 armor remaining), Left Torso (15/17 armor remaining), Left Leg (20/24 armor remaining)!

Urbanmech IIC
- Fires Ultra AC/10 (Ultra) at Charger (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, 1 shell hit Left Leg (12/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Urbanmech IIC
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (3/5)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Urbanmech IIC (1 turn remaining)

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #5 – Horned Owl
- No correct or partially correct guesses :saddowns:

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 9 points
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 4 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 16, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think that's the wrong enemy movement map. That one is from like turn 3.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good catch, fixed!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The Urbanmech IIC took a crit that you may have missed, as well. Likely just didn't do anything, but figured there's a lot flying around this turn anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spider

Good job on the Shadow Cat, team!

Capskye, do you think between the three of our 'Mechs we might be able to backstab that Horned Owl and take it out before it knows what hit it?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I cannot get good LOS on that Urbie. I can get to either 1439 facing north, or 1639 facing 1739. I'm inclined to head to the latter, just in case we don't manage to take down the Urbie, and because if we do take down the Urbie we're going to have at minimum a suspicious enemy on our hands.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

Good job on the Shadow Cat, team!

Capskye, do you think between the three of our 'Mechs we might be able to backstab that Horned Owl and take it out before it knows what hit it?

You might be able to put a lot of damage in to it, but that 'Mech doesn't have an XL engine, so it'd need a bit of luck.

You can wait two turns for it to be back down in 1035 though- That would be enough time for Hedningen's Roughneck to get in position, as well as possibly the Quickdraw and Centurion, depending on how fast the Urbie dies.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

You might be able to put a lot of damage in to it, but that 'Mech doesn't have an XL engine, so it'd need a bit of luck.

You can wait two turns for it to be back down in 1035 though- That would be enough time for Hedningen's Roughneck to get in position, as well as possibly the Quickdraw and Centurion, depending on how fast the Urbie dies.

Adding to that, I just realized that if we did that, we'd be in LoS for whatever's in 1621 when it moves to 1024.

So yeah, waiting a turn or two on that one might be prudent.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
were all the unseen enemies Focused/Hunting before? 'cause they are now

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Planning on moving up to Hex 2139. That Urbie's side or rear arc? Think it's his side

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I see an Urbie that's about to get two fists to the face from the Charger.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

I see an Urbie that's about to get two fists to the face from the Charger.

It's actually in charge range :ssh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

e: why you so little, Charger?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Displacement means that the Charger would be fully visible to the unknown contact to the northeast after the physical attacks phase, so a charge is prooooobably not in our best interests in this case.

Punches with Pulse Lasers and LRM-20 have a much better chance of taking it down.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Who doesn't want to see an Urbie get body slammed into an office building though?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It's a Charger. It's right there in the name!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LegendairyBovine posted:

Who doesn't want to see an Urbie get body slammed into an office building though?

I actually want to see the Urbie get suplexed. :black101:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would really rather not start a countdown on another 'Mech if we can avoid it (and we can).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Oh, well poo poo. I could've sworn I sent in orders Wednesday. Oops!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Looks like the Sentinel, Centurion, Charger, and myself can get into position to put a hurting on the Urbie next turn.

I'm looking at running to 1937 or 2037, leaving 1938 to the Centurion since he can get there at a full run.

Sentinel, where are you planning to go?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I still believe, Halvor! You got this!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PoptartsNinja posted:

I feel like it's been ages since anyone was at risk of being legged by gunfire.

pretty sure it was me

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
That Shadow Cat doesn't look nearly destroyed enough to keep from transmitting to the rest of the Clanners on the field.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

A good poster posted:

That Shadow Cat doesn't look nearly destroyed enough to keep from transmitting to the rest of the Clanners on the field.

Yeah, but legged mechs can still prop themselves up to fire and even crawl or hop, mission killing them was always for simplicity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fluff justification usually involves something like the fall for a legged 'mech being enough to knock out a pilot, at least long enough that by the time they come to everything's already over.

I may be conflating this with BA going for a swim, I dunno

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah kinda confused why the shadow cat counts as being destroyed. It's only lost one leg so it can still stand or prop itself up right? Or is this a poptarts sake of simplicity thing?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jade Star posted:

Yeah kinda confused why the shadow cat counts as being destroyed. It's only lost one leg so it can still stand or prop itself up right? Or is this a poptarts sake of simplicity thing?

it's a house rule

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jade Star posted:

That's a lot of bookkeeping for very little benefit. A legged mech can't do anything without umpteen dice rolls.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Jade Star posted:

Brings back memories... I always thought it odd back in MechWarrior 2, how a Mech would keep standing even if a leg had been blown off. If it had been moving, it would continue to bounce (to complete the step it was taking) before coming to a halt, and basically becoming a turret.

I'm so glad they changed that in the later games. They made it so that a Mech with a busted leg would start dragging the damaged leg which was so much cooler.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

W.T. Fits posted:

Adding to that, I just realized that if we did that, we'd be in LoS for whatever's in 1621 when it moves to 1024.

So yeah, waiting a turn or two on that one might be prudent.

I'm also realizing that we aren't going to be able to cross the street ahead of us without being spotted by that patroller going back and forth on it. We'll want extra firepower to back us up before we try that. I think chilling for a turn is a good option right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jade Star posted:

Or is this a poptarts sake of simplicity thing?

It's this. Mission Killed is the same as actually Killed because a legged 'Mech is a chore to put down. Even if the pilot was good enough to stand on one leg without killing themself via fall damage (unlikely), the very next hit would almost certainly knock them on their rear end again and start the whole process over.

I usually just say the auto-ejected activated. Unless it's disabled, auto-eject is supposed to kick in when a 'Mech loses a leg or takes critical engine damage, so the Shadow Cat absolutely could keep radioing for help if the pilot wasn't presently in a parachute trying not to drift into a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
If clanners were competent I'd be afraid that a parachute would be a tell.

• Locked thread