Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strobe posted:

I'm pretty sure that any of those hexes lights you up for the possible Heavy patrolling the main thoroughfare. It might be better to just leap for 0426 and hope that both of the 'Mechs looking away from you don't notice. That'd get you drat near eyes-on the first possible target, and you'd have a +5 jump TMM even if one of them does notice and take a potshot.

LoS from 1024 to 1137 and 1138 just barely clips that M17 building on the right side of the street.

That said, I'm not sure if it has LoS to 0939 and 1038, which I have to move through to get to 1137. I know the Horned Owl itself doesn't block LoS, but I'm hoping that 0939 and 1038 are far enough south that the LoS from 1024 has to clip the edge of the garage's top floor. And if it doesn't, hopefully we can kill whatever it is when it comes down the street to investigate.

On the other hand, if I jump to 0426, it will spot me since 'Mechs have a 360 degree field of vision, and even if it can't shoot at me, it'll still be alerted and the countdown on it will start.

Essentially, it boils down to possibly alerting 1024 while helping the Quickdraw backstab the Horned Owl versus definitely alerting 1024 while moving forward to the objective. I don't think we ever reached a consensus on whether or not to go loud, so for now I'm going to hedge my bets and hope that we can down the Owl without being spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There was a dice roll to determine whether the Horned Owl spotted a friendly last turn, which included a modifier for the friendly being behind it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strobe posted:

There was a dice roll to determine whether the Horned Owl spotted a friendly last turn, which included a modifier for the friendly being behind it.

Which means that it's still more likely that I'll get spotted if I jump to 0426, since the 'Mech in 1024 is currently heading in that direction, meaning it's probably facing that way. Whereas jumping to 1137 means there's a chance it won't spot me because I'll be moving through its side arc instead of right in front of it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

W.T. Fits posted:

Which means that it's still more likely that I'll get spotted if I jump to 0426, since the 'Mech in 1024 is currently heading in that direction, meaning it's probably facing that way. Whereas jumping to 1137 means there's a chance it won't spot me because I'll be moving through its side arc instead of right in front of it.

Hrm, I had its initial direction wrong and thought it was facing away.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Not much to say here - not a lot of great move options that keep me advancing and avoid shots. Any recommendations?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hedningen posted:

Roughneck DSI
Not much to say here - not a lot of great move options that keep me advancing and avoid shots. Any recommendations?

Maybe 0736 facing 0835? that sets you up nicely to charge up the 10xx road next turn, and if you twist to face the Horned Owl, any shots it takes on you will be on your front armor. You might even be able to shoot at it from that spot.

E: Yeah, looks like you both have LOS on each other.. Hopefully your Gauss takes its head off and saves us the trouble of having to chase it down.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 22, 2017

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Roughneck DSI
Yeah, I was thinking that, and it seems like the best option.

Movement
Move to 0736 facing 0835

Firing
If LOS available to enemy mech on hex 0938, fire all weapons.

If LOS blocked to enemy mech on hex 0938, hold fire.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
:ohdear:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I guess our GM isn't sanguine about this upcoming turn.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Well, there's the sign that something exploded. Possibly me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't know why I was worried, Robert is here.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

PoptartsNinja posted:

:allears:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hedningen posted:

Well, there's the sign that something exploded. Possibly me.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Korean Robert may have another Clanner head to mount on his wall after this turn.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Glory to the players!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

anakha posted:

Korean Robert may have another Clanner head to mount on his wall after this turn.

More of a stain really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 10

“Woah, nice shot.” Noriko Al-Hazar spared a moment to twist her Spider’s thumb into a passable thumbs-up. The bulky prototype was responsive in the air, but its arms were more vestigial than most. The hands were fully capable of lifting things, but with only three articulated fingers she couldn’t perform some of the gestures her old SDR-5K could’ve managed with ease.

Robert Korean’s Roughneck was in even worse condition, his hands were claw-like pincers. They seemed to have excellent reaction time and good fine control, but they were utterly incapable of even the simplest gestures. The Roughneck’s cockpit was also fixed to the torso, a relative rarity for a humanoid design, which combined to make the heavy a rather difficult ‘Mech to read.

The Clan light tottered, its leg had been torn open by a direct hit from Robert’s Gauss Rifle. Noriko wasn’t about to waste an opportunity like that, she pitched the Spider’s torso forward and chewed through the last of the badly-damaged structural supports with her pulse lasers. The Clan ‘Mech’s leg snapped off mid-thigh. The pilot kept his or her feet for longer than Noriko would’ve expected before tumbling off the side of the parking garage.

She peered over after it, and was gratified to see it lying still.

Movement Phase
Centurion
- Unable to enter hex 1136, hex already occupied!
- - Contingency hex 1835 is also occupied!
- Movement ends early in hex 1135!

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0836!
- Fires Gauss Rifle (Clan) at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (0/11 armor, 4/8 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser (Clan) at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (0/9 armor, 5/6 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser (Clan) at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (1/8 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (11/13 armor remaining)!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (8/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Horned Owl (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (3/6 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Delays action!

Centurion (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mist Lynx (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mist Lynx: out of range!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (0/8 structure remaining)! Leg blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (6/13 armor remaining)!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mist Lynx (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mist Lynx (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mist Lynx (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mist Lynx (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (1/7 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Mist Lynx (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 24!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1834!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Mist Lynx (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Quickdraw (Player)
- Primary target already destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Mist Lynx
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2929!
- Fires Ultra AC/2 (Ultra) at Sentinel (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (12/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Sentinel (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (13/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 20!

Horned Owl
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0837!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Roughneck (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Roughneck (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (15/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Roughneck (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (15/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 20!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (6/8)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Wyvern IIC (1 turn remaining)
- - Mist Lynx (1 turn remaining)

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #10 – Wyvern IIC
- LegendairyBovine (45t guess)
- Ardlen (45t guess)

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 12 points
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 4 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point
- LegendairyBovine 1 point
- Ardlen - 1 point

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm going to be moving up toward the Wyvern IIC at a walk and unloading with all guns at a range of 6 hexes. That should put me at 4 (base) + 1 (walk) + 1 (TMM) +2 (range) = 8 for the MLs and 6 for the PPCs. Those are numbers I'm 100% okay with taking some comparable return fire for.

Spider, you can get eyes (and range) on that Mist Lynx if you jump in that direction. Other than the Charger and Sentinel, I think you're the only one who can.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spider

Sorry guys, looks like I still managed to draw aggro from the Wyvern. My bad. :(

On the plus side, we managed to down the Horned Owl and it looks like if we're careful and play our cards right, we can potentially still bag the Mist Lynx and the Wyvern before they sound an alert.

Strobe posted:

Spider, you can get eyes (and range) on that Mist Lynx if you jump in that direction. Other than the Charger and Sentinel, I think you're the only one who can.

Yeah, I was planning on heading over that way. I think the Quickdraw can get some shots in on it, too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As good a turn as we could have asked for, despite the Mist Lynx dodging shots.

Charger should be able to close to melee range on the Mist Lynx, and the Hitman is free to cross the road.

That Wyvern is about to eat a lot of firepower next turn. :black101:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh man I just imagined Korean Robert piloting Dadlas for a second and giving Duncan's record a challenge. That drama-appropriate shooting, it's so beautiful!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Nice, a Wyvern IIC. Fun little pocket battleship medium with decent firepower, solid armor and crap for speed. Tough unless you get an ammo crit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I was planning on heading over that way. I think the Quickdraw can get some shots in on it, too.

Suggest you check with PTN if jumping in the direction of the Mist Lynx will trigger LOS to the Mech in 1415. The building hexes in 1425 and 1526 are only Height 4.

I'm going to be at long range if I go after the Mist Lynx myself, and I don't think I'll be able to hit it with anything. I'll probably just go after the Wyvern along with the rest of the team on the left side of the map.

E: Probably going to jump to 1031, and I believe Frosty is taking 1033. DSI, Centurion, let us know where you're headed.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 23, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Everyone that wants to get shots should be able to pile in on the Wyvern IIC, while the Charger and Sentinel can continue after the Mist Lynx!

The last poor 4/6s will just have to keep trudging up eventually.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

anakha posted:

Suggest you check with PTN if jumping in the direction of the Mist Lynx will trigger LOS to the Mech in 1415. The building hexes in 1425 and 1526 are only Height 4.

I'm going to be at long range if I go after the Mist Lynx myself, and I don't think I'll be able to hit it with anything. I'll probably just go after the Wyvern along with the rest of the team on the left side of the map.

E: Probably going to jump to 1031, and I believe Frosty is taking 1033. DSI, Centurion, let us know where you're headed.

You have correctly identified the hex I'm headed to.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

PTN, it won’t change the firing results, and actually puts me in a worse position for pursuit, but I moved to 2333 last turn, not 2233.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
poo poo, I must've misread.

Since it doesn't hurt you any, would you like to keep your current position or would you like me to put you in 2333?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

poo poo, I must've misread.

Since it doesn't hurt you any, would you like to keep your current position or would you like me to put you in 2333?

2333, please.

I’m headed for 2529, Charger, you know what to do.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

Charger, you know what to do.

I'd need enough MP to end my turn in the Mist Lynx's hex in order to charge it, right? Unfortunately, I can only run as far as 2328.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

A good poster posted:

I'd need enough MP to end my turn in the Mist Lynx's hex in order to charge it, right? Unfortunately, I can only run as far as 2328.

True, but you could always just run up next to it and shove it into the building.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

True, but you could always just run up next to it and shove it into the building.

Or kick its legs off. Follow your heart.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Sweep the leg. :black101:

As an aside, the idea of 'Mechs as significantly more graceful than merely "walking tanks" appeals to me. Even if they're relatively limited compared to the human body (and most would be by shape alone), you should still have exceptional pilots able to do things like 'Mech scale hand-to-hand combat that's more complex than "I threw a punch and it hit". The mental imagery of something like the Charger slide-tackling the Mist Lynx from behind like a soccer player and literally taking its legs out appeals to me something fierce.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Another quiet turn for me as I trudge up to Hex 1632, I think. Maybe 1732, but I like the options afterwards less from there. These let me swing left if needed, or head to a very unlikely but possible firing lane on the Mist Lynx if it doesn't cross the street. Regardless, gotta move forward at some point, right?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Strobe posted:

As an aside, the idea of 'Mechs as significantly more graceful than merely "walking tanks" appeals to me.

It also gives animators an excuse to let the mechs dodge anything fired at them, no matter the guidance system or velocity. :downs:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Centurion

Not a lot of options for me, going up the street to blast at the wyvern, hoping others are doing the same. Hoping for a big charged ppc hit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Centurion

Not a lot of options for me, going up the street to blast at the wyvern, hoping others are doing the same. Hoping for a big charged ppc hit.

You've got at least one Roughneck (probably both) and the Quickdraw backing you up.

E:

Strobe posted:

The Mist Lynx is also in perfect position to get German Suplexed by the Charger.

Just saying.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 23, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

you should still have exceptional pilots able to do things like 'Mech scale hand-to-hand combat that's more complex than "I threw a punch and it hit". The mental imagery of something like the Charger slide-tackling the Mist Lynx from behind like a soccer player and literally taking its legs out appeals to me something fierce.

The trick with 'Mech-scale martial arts is that you have to practice it, and who is going to voluntarily let you throw them around inside a 20+ ton war machine? You might (and do) get that level of expertise out of skilled pilots with some martial arts training, but as often as melee gets touted as a Clan weakness there are a lot of Mechwarriors who will never make even a single robot punch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's a shame that King Dadlas' Chuck-Norris-esque kicks left no mechanical possibility for him just bitch-slapping some Clanner down. Do you get the TSM bonuses to punch attacks, obvious inferiority of punch attacks aside? A strong backhand wouldn't be beyond the means of a quality pilot like Duncan.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

It's a shame that King Dadlas' Chuck-Norris-esque kicks left no mechanical possibility for him just bitch-slapping some Clanner down. Do you get the TSM bonuses to punch attacks, obvious inferiority of punch attacks aside? A strong backhand wouldn't be beyond the means of a quality pilot like Duncan.

Yes, you can TSM punch. But a TSM kick will generally leg a motherfucker. TSM punches can headcap but it's less likely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also worth noting that kicking takes a -2 hit bonus* while punching is +0. And punching damage is mech weight divided by 10, while kicking is mech weight divided by 5. Activated TSM doubles the damage for physical attacks.

TSM kicks are one reason why my favorite heavy IS battlemech is the Defiance. 75 tons x TSM = 15 x 2 = 30 damage, sufficient to crit or completely destroy the leg on most mechs.

*possibly there is an additional "weight class modifier" if PTN is using those rules from TacOps: an additional -2 for lights and -1 for mediums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

anakha posted:

I think it should be okay, actually; 1426 and 1525 are both part of the Height 15 part of the structure, and its LoS would have to pass through 1426 to see me jumping.

But just to be sure, Poptarts, do 1426 and 1525 obstruct the LoS from 1415 to the 1431-1531 part of the map?

• Locked thread