Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

goatface posted:

I want to name something the Swamp Badger.

I hope it ends up piloted by Star Captain Teemo at that point.

[EDIT] And ends up with a prime variant that uses those missiles that deploy minefields.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Map link is fixed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hey, Star Commander Drumpf is back! Hopefully to be humiliated once again!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It was impressively in character how he survived last mission, with every subordinate killed. :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

If I rotate in place, does that count as walking for determining to-hit?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH

If I rotate in place, does that count as walking for determining to-hit?

No, AFAIK. Opponent modifiers to hit you are based on how many hexes you moved.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I believe it is hexes traversed not movement points spent.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Counts for yours though, doesn't it?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

goatface posted:

Counts for yours though, doesn't it?

Yes. Your hit modifiers are determined by what type of movement you used - walking, running, or jumping.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You will take a penalty, people shooting at you will not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The worst possible thing to do is to run two hexes, I believe.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Leperflesh posted:

The worst possible thing to do is to run two hexes, I believe.

There's always running one hex, or the Annihilator Special (using your running movement just to turn 180 degrees)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

There's always running one hex, or the Annihilator Special (using your running movement just to turn 180 degrees)

Those are technically worse, but the R:2 (+0) holds a special place in that it signals an awareness of the idea of movement without an awareness of movement modifiers. R:1 is at least usually caused by leg damage, and R:0 is usually because of something really weird, but R:2 is common enough to be worth special attention.

Technically J:2 (+1) is just as bad, but again, it's usually caused by either "being an UrbanMech" or trying to land in a spot that's occupied in a double-blind game or something goofy.

So for my money the R:2 (+0) is the one that causes me the most physical pain to witness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leg damage or reduced movement points from overheating. 1 and 0 hex moves that involve running are usually a mech in serious distress though, yeah; but lots of newbies make the mistake of making a two-hex move that includes three hex-side rotations in a 4/6 or slower battlemech. It's maximally egregious when they could have torso twisted to shoot at the target they wanted to shoot at anyway, making the Run action unnecessary.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Obvious move is to have everyone reverse to the SW along the main road with contingency orders to fire on the Timber Wolf if it rounds the corner. These guys haven't been stupid enough to walk into massed fire yet, but that doesn't mean we have to be, especially with the Thunderbolt getting in the way.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

Obvious move is to have everyone reverse to the SW along the main road with contingency orders to fire on the Timber Wolf if it rounds the corner. These guys haven't been stupid enough to walk into massed fire yet, but that doesn't mean we have to be, especially with the Thunderbolt getting in the way.

Quickdraw

Fully agree with this plan. Engaging them in that tightly-packed road with the T-Bolt running interference will cost us dearly.

I can either jump back to 1615 to swing in from behind or to 1616 to rejoin the group on the main road the following turn. Goonsquad, let me know which move you'd prefer.

E: Committed to swinging in from behind; jumped to 1315 as that allows me max move mods next turn.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 12, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Honorless freebirth scum special tactics: standing in place and delivering indirect fire. I would turn, but that gives me a pointless penalty. I can reverse and turn next turn if something comes down the road. As it stands, I don't have the move to see anything. Best case I could try to swing around the back gate, otherwise get ready for the next turn's action on gently caress City's main street. Orders here for posterity

MOVEMENT:
No movement

SHOOTING:
Contingency #1: Hold fire until after all other friendly Mechs
Contingency #2: If someone is spotting for purpose of indirect fire on the Timber Wolf D (currently) in Hex 2015 OR the Hunchback IIC in Hex 1915 (do not target other Mechs aside from if Contingency #3 is met)
If both are alive and spotted, then prioritize Timber Wolf D over Hunchback IIC
If one has been destroyed, target alternate if possible
Indirect fire 3 LRMs at spotted target

Contingency #3: If both the Timber Wolf D AND the Hunchback IIC are dead, then apply firing orders to the Kraken S in Hex 2110

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

You're probably going to want to actually move, though. The Bandersnatch is not a LRM boat, it only has 3 LRM-5s.

Your main firepower is your paired LBX-10s backed by 4 medium lasers, making you strictly a close/medium range fighter. Given that your armor is mostly fresh, hanging back is a pretty serious mistake because you are going to contribute a lot more moving towards the fight than hanging back and tossing indirect LRMs.

Like I said a while ago, indirect LRM fire is generally not a primary offensive option. It's only a primary offensive option for LRM carriers full of semi-guided ammo or just a full lance of Heavy LRM Carriers doing terrible poo poo, not for a mech with 3 LRM-5s.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

While that's true, there's really nothing I can get to right now. I'd love shotgun everything in sight, but that probably starts next turn for me

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
These Clanners are going to take every 1v1 you present them with.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 13, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

gently caress, I forgot to send my orders in last night and I got stuck babysitting all day today. My bad team. :bang:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're safe, unless I have no other options I never shoot players who missed orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 16

“We’ve gotta put some pressure on them,” Rose was getting impatient. “Our light ‘Mechs can’t engage a Clan heavy without your heavies to distract them. If we don’t hit them, they’ll cut us to ribbons.”

“Keep your shirt on,” Robert thought he sounded calmer than he really was. He tried to inject a little levity even as Watanabe Chou’s Quickdraw took a PPC to the chest. The Yakuza pilot was only a few meters distant, but even so Robert couldn’t see his attacker. From the way Saiko tensed her Roughneck’s claw-like hands, he knew she couldn’t line up a shot either. The amber flicker of the Quickdraw’s medium lasers were barely visible after the PPC’s actinic glare. Robert hoped he’d scored a crippling counterstrike, but he’d probably settle for even a couple of good hits on the pristine Clan machine.

Preserving the company’s armor during their advance hadn’t been easy, but aside from the Hitman’s arm, no one had taken any serious damage. The Clan scouts hadn’t been particularly skilled, but most had been persistent enough to do some damage before they took their trip to hell.

“Roughnecks,” he said out of habit. Saiko was the only member of his lance present, and she was the only one who’d stuck close to him as he’d advanced. “We’re advancing on the enemy. That should provide more than enough distraction for Rose and her people. Yamaguchi-gumi, you’re welcome to join us. The Clan oyabun says everyone’s invited to this party.”

“Parties are more fun when you crash ‘em,” Isamu Takenaka replied sardonically. “But they’ve got two nasty bouncers who won’t let us in, invitation or no. You heard the bossman, boyos, let’s go bounce those bouncers!”

Movement Phase
Von Rohrs (Player)
- Unable to enter hex 2021: hex already occupied, movement ends early in hex 2121!

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- No spotters
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Centurion (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Holds fire!

Sentinel (Player)
- Holds fire!

Spider (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 24!

Quickdraw (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (19/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (14/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Timber Wolf D (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss! (rolled with Random.org)
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 36!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Thunderbolt IIC
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Timber Wolf D (ACE)
- Fires ER PPC at Quickdraw (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (3/18 armor remaining)!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 30!

Hunchback IIC
- Holds fire!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Hunchback IIC
- Enters building hex 2014, must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (3 base + 2 heavy building = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!
- - Building hex 2014 suffers damage in the move (85/90 CF remaining)!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
- Enemy units are alert and aware of player positions

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy commander (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (9/19 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Dang, lucky that the Timberwolf decided not to fire off it's streaks along with that PPC. I'm surprised it's holding back in any way.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hunchback IIC
- Enters building hex 2014, must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (3 base + 2 heavy building = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!
- - Building hex 2014 suffers damage in the move (85/90 CF remaining)!

What would it take to drop that building on him?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 13, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Looks like about 85 points of damage!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A willingness to engage in mindless property damage.

Do it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck 3A

I'm going to plant myself in the gap between buildings so the Mad Cat can't squeak through and behind our lines. Current plan is to occupy 1613 facing 1714.

I will be firing all my guns at the building the Hunchback IIC is occupying. I'll auto-hit it with my PPCs, and hit it on 4s with my MLs, and between all those guns that should take it down by 40 CF, to 45. If another 15 points worth of guns do damage to it (probably 30 to be safe), the Spider could theoretically collapse it if you're okay with probably losing the Spider (21 damage to the rear hit locations) to fall damage. But! There's a chance it results in an "Accidental Fall From Above", which is a more painful DFA.

In this instance, the TN should be 7 plus movement and terrain, which after the building is destroyed will be rough (no penalty). The Hunchback has no movement mod right now, so the full TN is just 7. If you make it, it's a Death From Above, and you'll end up falling five levels onto him (15 damage, in groups of 5, on the punch table)

Now, that said, the Spider would be pretty fairly wrecked if that happened, and it does have to survive the phase without getting bullseyed by that Mad Cat in order to do it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If CF is reduced to 0, does it collapse immediately, or does a Mech have to jump on top of it for it to collapse?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It collapses immediately in the phase in which the hex is reduced to 0 CF.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

anakha posted:

If CF is reduced to 0, does it collapse immediately, or does a Mech have to jump on top of it for it to collapse?

Immediately. The 'Mech on top is just for the easy DFA (and it is definitely easier, not having to care about the attacker movement modifier of +3).

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Welp, the enemy went backwards, so I'm thinking moving up kind of behind Strobe. I can get to Hex 1515 and torso twist to threaten a very limited LOS in the courtyard beyond it, but I'm starting to think we may have to push into them, or else we're going to be dancing around for another 30 turns. My initial plan of reversing onto the main road doesn't look like it's going to get me anywhere. I will maintain open indirect fire orders, I think, just because that's something I can do.

Also, thinking about Strobe's "bring the building down" strategy, am I able to indirect fire LRMs at a specified hex, or does that still need spotting? It feels like it would still need spotting, but I'm not savvy enough with the Battletech rules to know

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Two questions:

Would I have LOS to the building (not the Mech inside, of course) in 2014 from 1218, and does it matter where you’re hitting a building (the roof, for example) for purposes of bringing it down?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

Two questions:

Would I have LOS to the building (not the Mech inside, of course) in 2014 from 1218, and does it matter where you’re hitting a building (the roof, for example) for purposes of bringing it down?

"No" to both, you don't need line of sight to the building. You need line of sight to the hex.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about a plan that involves me committing suicide by jumping on to a building that we're trying to collapse on the off-chance that I'll survive long enough to land on top of the guy as the rubble rains down on him. :v:

All things being equal, I'd rather just jump to 1612 and shoot the guy, or the shoot building if we're really insistent on killing this guy by dropping tons of rubble on him.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH

Welp, the enemy went backwards, so I'm thinking moving up kind of behind Strobe. I can get to Hex 1515 and torso twist to threaten a very limited LOS in the courtyard beyond it, but I'm starting to think we may have to push into them, or else we're going to be dancing around for another 30 turns.
If you want to be aggressive, you could walk forward three hexes into the building at 1815 and have LOS on the Hunchback and possibly the Timberwolf.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about a plan that involves me committing suicide by jumping on to a building that we're trying to collapse on the off-chance that I'll survive long enough to land on top of the guy as the rubble rains down on him. :v:

All things being equal, I'd rather just jump to 1612 and shoot the guy, or the shoot building if we're really insistent on killing this guy by dropping tons of rubble on him.

Jumping to 1610 for some shots would be a really solid move- You jump 10, land in woods, and have nimble jumper for protection even if the Timberwolf does have rear mounted SSRMs.

No reason at all to land in the open when you have woods there available for you to use.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

Jumping to 1610 for some shots would be a really solid move- You jump 10, land in woods, and have nimble jumper for protection even if the Timberwolf does have rear mounted SSRMs.

No reason at all to land in the open when you have woods there available for you to use.

Obligatory reminder the Timber Wolf is an Ace and has not moved yet.

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

but it would be so cool if it works. :v:

Also we need to kill the building at the very least in order to do any kind of meaningful damage to the 'Mech inside, and shooting a building is -4 while shooting the 'Mech is not. I'd definitely suggest everybody shooting the building put in contingencies to shoot the Hunchback IIC if the building is destroyed before they fire, but that's going to do a lot more than shooting at the 'Mech inside. If we shoot at the Hunchback without destroying the building first, it will reduce all incoming damage by 9 points each shot. I'm not particularly eager to do 1 damage with my PPCs hitting on 8s, when I can just drop the building 25% hitting automatically.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Orders in, headed for 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

So the Kool-aid Man Strategy into the building is appealing to me. What should I know about checks/damage inherent in that action?

• Locked thread