Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Christmas shopping/college football kicked my rear end the past couple nights, orders in now, hopefully before the dice-gods have taken their pound of flesh

MOVEMENT:
Rotate one hex facing to face Hex 2311 (1mp)
Run forward three hexes to Hex 2512 (5mp)

SHOOTING:
If the Kraken moves into LOS then
Fire 4 MLs and
2 LBXs with Slug ammo at it
If someone has included spotting orders (or the Kraken is in LOS) AND the Kraken is outside minimum range, fire 3 LRMs at the Kraken

PHYSICAL:
If the Timber Wolf D ends its turn adjacent to me, kick it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do you mean kick the Kraken, not the Timberwolf?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Do you mean kick the Kraken, not the Timberwolf?

poo poo, yes, my brain is still fried

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 21

Isamu Takenaka barely managed a surprised yelp before a rapid-fire hail of projectiles tore through the badly damaged Charger’s guts. Its left arm fell away, trailing bundles of myomer, but the machine was already dead. Æthelweard Fabricius Clay XII, future baron of the Goldman’s Glacier region of Boondock, felt more than a twinge of fear as he watched the assault ‘Mech fall. He was a transplant in the Amphigean Light Assault: he’d been traded into the unit in exchange for an experienced Kuritan officer to be assigned elsewhere. Not his ideal assignment but he knew better than anyone how hard the light-weight command’s mechwarriors had to work, and how little credit they seemed to get for their troubles.

It was only a mildly disheartening turn, the Charger had been on its last legs, but the worst came a moment later. Staggering his fire, Khan Seidman walked shots from his second gauss weapon across the Sentinel’s bulbous body in a ‘Z’ pattern, starting from the left arm to the right torso, down to the left hip, and across the Sentinel’s spindly legs. Perhaps the only thing that saved the Sentinel from crippling damage was the Clanner’s tiny gauss slugs: each was only a fraction of the size of the rounds Æthelweard was familiar with.

The cobalt bolt of a PPC zipped past close enough that Æthelweard thought he saw sparks leap to the Sentinel’s right arm. A moment later Saiko Abramov uttered a vicious-sounding curse in Japanese as the Clanner’s PPC nearly blew off her right arm—and the precious PPC contained within. They’d need every ounce of firepower in the seconds to come.

Æthelweard squeezed the trigger, skewering the huge Clan ‘Mech on the silvery-streak of his own Gauss Rifle. The clan machine towered over its bodyguards, it was so big it felt almost impossible to miss—and yet the enemy Katana managed to interpose itself between its master and Æthelweard’s medium laser. The shot pitted the armor on the Katana’s hip skirting, but the damage was little more than cosmetic.

“Hell,” Æthelweard spat. “They’re willing to throw themselves into our shots to protect their master—and they haven’t even fired a shot!”

“They’re sticking to the letter of the deal,” Valten Ryder interjected. The mercenary mechwarrior sounded exhausted. Æthelweard could relate, the past few minutes had been the most grueling he’d ever experienced. “But they’re not happy about it.”

“Loyalty like that,” Saiko said simply, “does not come cheap.”

“Blind devotion is always plenty expensive,” Ryder agreed. “We’re lucky the Combine never figured that out.”

“No offense.”

Movement Phase
Centurion (Player)
- Enters building hex 1919: must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (4 base + 2 heavy building = 6): rolled 3, fails!
- - Suffers 9 damage to Right Arm (7/16 armor remaining), Left Arm (0/8 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Enters building hex 2516: must pass a piloting test to avoid damage (5 base + 2 heavy building = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Unable enter hex 2513: hex already occupied! Movement ends in hex 2514!

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Fires PPC at Kraken (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires PPC at Kraken (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 10): rolled 9, hit Wakizashi’s Right Torso (16/26 armor remaining)! Corrected
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 12): rolled 10, hit Wakizashi’s Right Leg (31/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Centurion (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kraken (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 7): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (31/46 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard = 9): rolled 7, hit Wakizashi’s Left Leg (31/36 armor remaining)!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (36/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 6, hit Wakizashi’s Right Arm (22/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 6, hit Wakizashi’s Center Torso (30/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Kraken (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 minimum range + 2 bodyguard = 9): rolled 9, 20 missiles hit Left Leg (37/42 armor remaining), Right Leg (31/42 armor remaining), Left Torso (27/32 armor remaining), Right Torso (27/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 24!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Corrections
- Fires PPC at Kraken (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 1 oversized target = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (27/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 2 pulse laser - 1 oversized target = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (25/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 bodyguard - 2 pulse laser - 1 oversized target = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (25/46 armor remaining)!

Kraken S (Objective, ACE)
- Fires HAG-40 at Charger (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 2): rolled 7, 40 pellets hit Center Torso (17/25 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (12/25 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (1/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Arm (8/15 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Arm (3/15 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Torso (4/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Leg (17/22 armor remaining), Left Torso (0/17 structure remaining (Torso destroyed! Left arm blown off! Engine destroyed! Damage transfers to Center Torso (8/25 structure remaining (Crit!)))!
- Fires HAG-40 at Sentinel (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 4): rolled 4, 32 pellets hit Left Leg (8/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (7/14 armor remaining), Right Torso (2/14 armor remaining), Left Torso (9/14 armor remaining), Left Arm (7/12 armor remaining), Left Torso (4/14 armor remaining), Right Leg (18/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Roughneck 3A (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 3): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/18 armor, 6/10 structure remaining)! Crit!

End Phase:
Sentinel (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 11, succeeds!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!

Kraken
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (1 base + 1 massive damage = 2): automatic success!

Wakizashi
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
- Enemy units are alert and aware of player positions

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy commander (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (11/19 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not the most auspicious of starts to this boss fight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are two Wakizashi icons on the map. I can tell which one it is based on which one I ended up hitting, but that'll probably be necessary going forward.

Roughneck 3A

I'm not in a good spot here, but I can make it to 2116 and open up a decent field of fire. That'll be at a run, but all of Grier's move options either put him in good PPC range or good ML range. I don't think he'll be closing to melee range, because doing so removes any bodyguards between him and the melee target, and damage to his legs will pile up faster than he'll be doing damage to us.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh my.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oof uh. This is some Darkest Dungeon poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, he's gonna kill one and a half targets each turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is a bit rough, because the northern goon group can make it to 2815 (Bandersnatch), 2915 (Von Rohrs), and 2615 (Roughneck), but, Grier can choose which group he engages. He can either sprint forward and put northern group at longer range/worse shots while pounding on the Centurion and Roughneck-3A, or he can back up and deny southern group shots.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Of all the GoonMechs left, I think the two of us Roughnecks are the most durable. If Grier decides to engage me and the Sentinel, his maneuvering options are significantly limited for future turns. If he declines and backs out of an engagement to go up north, the Bandersnatch and other Roughneck should be able to capitalize.

After this turn (if I'm still standing), I'll have much better maneuvering options. Getting through the multiple wreckage of dead 'Mechs will slow me down this turn, but after that the entire main thoroughfare is open. We should definitely try to make sure the fight happens there. Grier can't move through enough building hexes in a turn to get away from us without us dropping a lot of guns on wherever he ends up standing and bringing down the building, and bodyguards can't do poo poo about it. He's going to want to stay in the open, and we need to try to get our fire to come in from three separate hexes at once.

We're not going to get a lot of chances to force that, but we're already 20% of the way through his CT thanks to that Gauss.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hopefully the luck turns, Grier is working his way down the most wounded mechs first, but a few of ours still don't have holes.

Plus this was a difficult round for LoS.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Hey PTN, how does the Oversized quirk work? If it’s a -1 TH like I’m assuming, it wasn’t applied last turn, and would’ve meant 2 more mpls and a PPC bolt hitting the Kraken.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

Hey PTN, how does the Oversized quirk work? If it’s a -1 TH like I’m assuming, it wasn’t applied last turn, and would’ve meant 2 more mpls and a PPC bolt hitting the Kraken.

I did forget the -1 size penalty this turn, but mostly oversized means you can still shoot him if he's hiding behind level 2 cover, but he can't shoot you back, and he gets no benefit from level 1 cover at all. It's an extremely bad quirk.

Since fixing this would require me to reroll the entire turn, I'm going to chalk it up to being surprised by the HAGs and the players will instead do some bonus damage to the Kraken or its bodyguards next turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Oof uh. This is some Darkest Dungeon poo poo.

How Quickly The Tide Turns.

Dang. Grier does not gently caress around. :catstare:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Shouldn't the Wakizashi need to make a massive damage test? I count 32 damage off a PPC, 2 medium lasers, 2 pulse mediums.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

I'm considering jumping up to 2321 or 2420 on that tower thing and spotting for indirect fire on Grier. Not really sure what else I can do at this point. I feel like a 6-year-old child with a squirt gun trying to fight Vulcan Raven.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

TheParadigm posted:

How Quickly The Tide Turns.

Dang. Grier does not gently caress around. :catstare:

Well, he did take an extra 22 damage that we'll get in the form of a bonus next round to all enemies, which will probably be slightly better than what we lost.

Grier is very strong right now with those bodyguards, but a small streak of bad luck from multiple hits to the same location, a single hit to the head or a TAC and he's losing or has lost.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 4, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So how badly are those elementals going to mess with the players? They seem to be in an annoying position.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Teetering on the brink, facing the abyss

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that the players are divided into discrete groups, themselves kept apart by a bunch of buildings, means less firepower able to focus on Grier in any given turn, and when drawn out over multiple turns that means giving him a big advantage in any damage races while he starts ripping people apart one by one. Grier is only ever going to be able to effectively target two players per turn, but he's got a pretty steady countdown of targets he needs to kill in order to win. Meanwhile, the group that's too far to engage him will die last, but in a pure damage race his rate of murder is throttled by his physical weapon count, so the rate of player death per turn remains largely unchanged unless one group decides to run and hide. Which is probably what the battle armor is for.

So, uh, good luck guys!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

So how badly are those elementals going to mess with the players? They seem to be in an annoying position.

Not at all.

Edit: I've decided how I'm going to handle the Kraken mix-up. It's too late for me to revert the spreadsheet, so I'm going to apply any applicable damage to the Kraken in addition to the Wakazashi after I get home from work today, with re-rolled hit locations.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 4, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

The fact that the players are divided into discrete groups, themselves kept apart by a bunch of buildings, means less firepower able to focus on Grier in any given turn, and when drawn out over multiple turns that means giving him a big advantage in any damage races while he starts ripping people apart one by one. Grier is only ever going to be able to effectively target two players per turn, but he's got a pretty steady countdown of targets he needs to kill in order to win. Meanwhile, the group that's too far to engage him will die last, but in a pure damage race his rate of murder is throttled by his physical weapon count, so the rate of player death per turn remains largely unchanged unless one group decides to run and hide. Which is probably what the battle armor is for.

So, uh, good luck guys!

Ah, the King Dadlas problem. You can only kill enemies as fast as your weapons can cycle. Truly, I feel for Grier.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That actually makes this a solid round.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Xarbala posted:

So, uh, good luck guys!

Sentinel

Casting my vote now for everyone pulling north and blobbing up. I don’t think the elementals can block our movement, and we should be able to deny LOS to Grier until we are all in a decent position to shoot back.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Elementals can absolutely block movement. That's almost certainly the only reason they're here in the first place.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No they can't, Elementals (and infantry) and Mechs can share the same hex.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Isn't it more a matter of, under normal circumstances, Mechs avoid Elementals because they don't want to risk ending movement in the same hex as hostile Elementals. Because bad poo poo can happen?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if they're hostile and you voluntarily put yourself in the same hex as they are, then you're asking for Bad Things to happen.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Maybe they'll try to rush under your feet and claim a stomp attack, or act as marbles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can move into a hex containing enemy infantry or vehicles, but you can't move through a hex containing an enemy unit. You can then move out of that hex on the next turn. There ain't a Mechwarrior alive willing to let a tank blow off both of their legs by shooting them in the crotch.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Thanks for the clarification. Still say we should pull north and blob up. Centurion, um... yeah. Do your best, buddy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

Casting my vote now for everyone pulling north and blobbing up. I don’t think the elementals can block our movement, and we should be able to deny LOS to Grier until we are all in a decent position to shoot back.

You and the Roughneck can definitely do this now, but your Centurion buddy is really out of luck as far as joining you goes.

He can definitely still escape Grier's LoS on this turn (Either darting south across the street or retreating back to 1717), but he's going to have to play it very carefully, and he risks getting cut off and dead without the rest of the group (aside from the Spider) able to respond. He also carries one of the 3 headcappers Goons have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can move into a hex containing enemy infantry or vehicles, but you can't move through a hex containing an enemy unit. You can then move out of that hex on the next turn. There ain't a Mechwarrior alive willing to let a tank blow off both of their legs by shooting them in the crotch.

Look at this fancy and magical non-AAA tank with a barrel that elevates high enough to do this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I mean, that's definitely the rule... but the rules are intended to simulate a shooting battle. If the infantry/vehicles are specifically not fighting, and the mech pilot knows it, why should they be "halted" in the hex as they move through?

I dunno... maybe a rule that it costs an extra move point, because you have to kind of step carefully through the 30-meter hex to carefully avoid accidentally stomping on or kicking an Elemental, which would be a hostile act of engagement?

Or... I guess if the elementals are totally trying to get stepped on just to let them start fighting, then maybe that'd be why you can't move through the hex even though they're technically noncombatants...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Am I missing something? The elementals are all inside buildings atm and not in anyone's way.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mary Annette posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Still say we should pull north and blob up. Centurion, um... yeah. Do your best, buddy.

I knew the risks.

(I totally was planning for the timberwolf to live a few more rounds with conditional orders to hold fire and then PPC grier as the last combat action if and only if the timberwolf was dead. timberwolf died too fast for me to set that up.)

Well if we're gathering north I can get to 1816 and work toward 1514 the next turn and maybe be in position to help out. Or I could Kool-aid 1815, but that is hardened and the last heavy building hex just ate my shield arm so I'm less inclined to do that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Hardened buildings are no joke. It's +5 to the piloting test and +5 MP per hex.

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, that's definitely the rule... but the rules are intended to simulate a shooting battle. If the infantry/vehicles are specifically not fighting, and the mech pilot knows it, why should they be "halted" in the hex as they move through?

They're not in a position to block movement anyway, they're just securing the listening post.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
We interrupt this epic match for an epic bulletin. HBS has shared a mission out of their singleplayer campaign, and some details about what's going to be in it. And it's going to start out in the Periphery. Oh man, the only way it could be more epic is if they got the guy who did the music for MechWarrior 2 and GBL to do the music for this game as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought they'd been really up front that the campaign was going to take place in a fourth-tier Periphery kingdom? Were we supposed to expect something otherwise?

• Locked thread