Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AJ_Impy posted:

Got enough time for a 'Fire everything at the objective' or tagging in someone to do orders for you?

No, that post was literally made at the end of my only break, right when I remembered this.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're fine where you are, it's not like there's going to be any shooting this turn. :confuoot:

I was planning on spotting for the Bandersnatch to indirect fire on the Kraken if possible/needed. I literally just got home and fired off a set of orders, but as I said in my message, if it's too late, I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I was planning on spotting for the Bandersnatch to indirect fire on the Kraken if possible/needed. I literally just got home and fired off a set of orders, but as I said in my message, if it's too late, I understand.

Plenty of time.

I'm sort-of worried that starting with a stealth mission has made most of the players rather timid. :saddowns:

It's ok to be aggressive! Grier is going to split fire as much as possible so the more targets he has the safer everyone is.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't know if it's the fact that they started with a stealth mission that makes them timid, or that they're essentially facing a Skulldozer from Payday 2 as the final boss and they don't want to get shredded.

"If we rush him, he probably can't kill us all before we kill him!" is... not an easy thing for most ad-hoc groups to agree to. Because a bunch of them are still going to die. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's very true. Timid's not a good word, just be sure to commit hard once you're comfortable. Grier's not going to go to you.

This is my version of 12 Locusts vs. an Atlas, which was one of the most requested missions early in the thread.

12 Locusts always win.

Edit: The Clans have their own version of 12 Locusts vs. an Atlas. 15 Mist Lynx vs. a Dire Wolf. The Dire Wolf sometimes wins.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Pish posh. We've already lost two good men getting this far. We need to play smart, but we also need every gun we have on this guy every turn. If you're not maneuvering to that effect, you're giving Grier your teammates.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's very true.

This is my version of 12 Locusts vs. an Atlas, which was one of the most requested missions early in the thread.

12 Locusts always win.

Would they still win if it were a King Atlas? I get that the theory is still the same (the Locusts just kite it with their absurd move modifiers and abuse the Atlases lack of long range firepower and movement), but it's certainly a beefier ride that's a bigger threat if it connects. Plus PPCs!

That said, if you told 12 people to wait a few months for their spot in a Locust to take on an Atlas, I don't know that many of them would be willing to be the couple of Locusts that could potentially die fighting the Atlas (assuming they didn't just actually backpeddal infinitely and make the Assault worthless, HBS Battletech style). I can certainly understand being a little gunshy.

We ended up with the Die a Glorious Death mission afterall! :dukedoge:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Die a Glorious Death is always a primary mission objective!

And I gave out much better rides than Locusts. The Kraken's nothing special apart from its pilot, it's slow and easy to hit even with a bodyguard in the way (and they can't block every angle, if you can draw line of sight through a hex that doesn't contain one Grier gets no benefit).

Grier's only real defense is range, because it lets him stick his bodyguards side by side.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Charge a dozen locusts into the rear armor of an Atlas from max range. :black101:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I fuckin told everyone to smash in.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

...The Kraken's nothing special apart from its pilot...

That's what I've been thinking, 2 HAGs and an ERPPC isn't as bad as the weaponry on 2 Heavies. It's just Grier is an amazing shot.

2 rounds ago was the time to try out pulling back, last turn was the time to follow through - but Goonforce has done extremely well with both the stealth mission and the first 12 vs 2 duel (just not as lucky as with the stealth), very unusually decisive planning!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I’m not gonna complain about anything, because our coordination (and luck) have been very solid and got us to Grier in great shape.

Coordination is still very good, in that we’re discussing options, calling out movement and avoiding traffic jams, but we couldn’t quite get everyone committed to a unified plan for handling the Hunchback, and that plus our luck finally running out with the building collapse damage let Cobb take a bigger than expected bite out of us.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I don't blame people for being a little gunshy after the Hunchback.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 22

“poo poo!” Noriko Al-Hazar took a half-step backward and had to scramble to keep her experimental Spider on its feet. Too fast for the eye to clearly see, her computer painted a series of rapidly fading silver streaks across her hud as shot after shot missed her by less than a meter. The Clan leader’s shot had been a hasty one, but it was still far too close for Norkio’s comfort. In the young Arkab’s relatively short career, she’d only taken fire a handful of times—and never by a Gauss weapon.

“I didn’t think rapid-fire Gauss weapons were possible,” in spite of her better judgement, she took a second look and broadcast the clan King Crab-analogue’s approximate location. The barrels of its right-arm gauss weapon still tracked her, even while the left fired at a target down the street—likely the last Yakuza pilot. She didn’t hear any screams—that one was probably ok. A moment later, LRMs from—somewhere rained down on the pavement a few meters from the Clan pilot’s location. She wasn’t sure who was even carrying LRMs, but the indirect shots didn’t even phase “Oh—oh, that’s a lot of little barrels isn’t it? I don’t care how good a shot you are, that’s gotta spread like mayonnaise at long range.”

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Delays turn!

Centurion (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Spots for Indirect Fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 23!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Fires LRM 5 Indirectly at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 indirect fire + 4 spotter movement - 1 oversized target = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM 5 Indirectly at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 indirect fire + 4 spotter movement - 1 oversized target = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM 5 Indirectly at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 indirect fire + 4 spotter movement - 1 oversized target = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Fires PPC at Kraken (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Flamer at Kraken: automatic miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 32!

Kraken S (Objective, ACE)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2220!
- Fires HAG-40 at Spider (0 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires HAG-40 at Von Rohrs (0 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 secondary target not in front arc = 8): rolled 9, 32 pellets hit Left Leg (15/20 armor remaining), Left Arm (8/13 armor remaining), Center Torso (17/22 armor remaining), Right Leg (13/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (10/15 armor remaining), Left Arm (3/13 armor remaining), Left Arm (1/13 armor remaining)!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 34!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
- Enemy units are alert and aware of player positions

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy commander (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (11/19 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hooo boy that close Spider shave!

e: So.. This turn the Centurion, Spider, Von Rohrs, and Roughneck DSI can all engage from opposite directions, so ideally Grier can't interpose bodyguards to cover each angle.
For the Spider, yea, it sucks that it leaves the Bandersnatch unable to shoot, but you're going to do much more average damage by just firing your own MPLs. You have a way way better chance to hit no matter what, and a MPL does more damage than an LRM5 anyhow.

The Bandersnatch and Sentinel unfortunately can't get los this turn, but they can get back in on the following turn. (Assuming that Grier doesn't use the southern buildings to divide and conquer)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 6, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, I'll take what we can get, and a turn where Grier only does 30 damage is probably the best we can expect.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

No, Khan Seidman, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well I could run south with the centurion and be uncomfortably close to the kraken. I'd maybe get 30 dmg on it before exploding terribly. but if three or four of us surround him on the road if might be worth it. I'd assume he'd point the front of his mech north east to face the heavies coming around the building and maybe I could back shot him. Ha, he's an ace, that wont happen, but it's a hope.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's a shame that none of the totem 'mechs have been invented yet (at least, none that I've seen). Wouldn't it have been cool if the Khan were going on a rampage in a quad-legged Balius right about now?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
We've seen a Balius B in the mission right before this!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And there's a Grizzly right in his Star.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
LRM: Long Range Mayonnaise.

(yes I know you meant the HAG, let me have this)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spider

Jumping to 1622 and firing on the Kraken if he stays in range of my guns. Hopefully he'll point at least one of his bigger guns at me and spare someone with some actual firepower from getting completely annihilated.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Basically same orders as last turn. Including indirect fire orders, but I think I'm budgeting myself to be shooting on 11s mainly to use up the LRMs. If no one spots, that's cool too, it's long odds that I would a.) hit, and b.) do anything significant

MOVEMENT:
Rotate one hex facing to face Hex 2612 (1mp)
Run forward three hexes to Hex 2813 (3mp)
Rotate one hex facing to face Hex 2814 (1mp)
Run forward one hex to Hex 2814 (1mp)

SHOOTING:
If the Kraken moves into LOS then
Fire 4 MLs and
2 LBXs with Slug ammo at it
If someone has included spotting orders (or the Kraken is in LOS), fire 3 LRMs at the Kraken

PHYSICAL:
If the Kraken ends its turn adjacent to me, kick it

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, yeah. It's Sunday today isn't it? Hope I'm not too late. :gonk:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I sorta like how there's almost no discussion now because it just comes down to the grim reality of "rush and do as much damage as you can" instead of fancy tactics.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

I sorta like how there's almost no discussion now because it just comes down to the grim reality of "rush and do as much damage as you can" instead of fancy tactics.

Ace battles often come down to hoping they don't move out of the way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, whoops. I forgot about the bodyguards.

Oh well. Not my fault they can't keep up with Grier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Got my death haiku ready.

:munch:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 23

The shrapnel wound had hurt for only a moment. The rapidly-blistering burns to his exposed arms and legs had hurt even less.

Khan Grier Siedman’s thin lips curled into a rictus grin. He knew what that meant. Knew how bad that was. Unless he received immediate medical attention, he was certain to die. He might have laughed, if he hadn’t suspected a half-molten shard of transplex of puncturing a lung. He had perhaps minutes of consciousness left to him, but his Kraken’s armor was holed—he was down to perhaps a few dozen seconds of operational time.

Casually, he tipped the anti-aircraft ‘Mech’s torso forward and shot the enemy Centurion in the upper thigh with his PPC. The Kraken’s enormous clawed foot snapped the weakened limb like a twig a moment later even as he spread his machine’s arms wide to open fire on the Spider and the ancient Von Rohrs once again. This time, not even the Spider’s agility was enough to save it—and a hail of fist-sized pellets snapped one of its gliding wings clean off. Another shot ruined the Von Rohrs’ hand, smashing servos and hydraulics and sending at least three fingers tumbling to the ferrocrete. Another kill was a start, at least.

He wouldn’t die truly happy unless he got at least one more: three, to Bronislaw’s confirmed two. On the off chance the Clans were wrong about the existence of an afterlife, he intended to take one last opportunity to brag.

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle (Clan) at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 7): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (12/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser (Clan) at Kraken (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 oversized = 5): rolled 6, hit Head (0/9 armor, 2/3 structure remaining)! Pilot hit! Crit!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser (Clan) at Kraken: out of range!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Kraken (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Kraken (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Kraken (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Magshot Gauss Rifle at Kraken (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Holds fire!

Centurion (Player)
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (charged) at Kraken (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 5): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (10/46 armor remaining)!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC at Kraken (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (17/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Kraken (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (29/34 armor remaining)!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)

Spider (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (4 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 oversized = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (6/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kraken (4 base + 0 range + 4 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 oversized = 6): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (28/34 armor remaining)!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 23!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Fires PPC at Kraken (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/46 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Kraken (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 oversized target = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Flamer at Kraken: out of range!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 32!

Kraken S (Objective, ACE)
- Fires ER PPC at Centurion (0 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 3): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (5/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires HAG-40 at Spider (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 5 enemy movement + 2 secondary target not in front arc = 8): rolled 9, 24 pellets hit Left Torso (3/10 armor remaining), Left Arm (5/10 armor remaining), Right Arm (3/10 armor remaining (TAC!)), Left Torso (0/10 armor, 5/7 structure remaining (TAC!)), Right Torso (6/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires HAG-40 at Von Rohrs (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 secondary target not in front arc = 5): rolled 11, 40 pellets hit Left Leg (10/20 armor remaining), Center Torso (12/22 armor remaining), Left Arm (0/13 armor, 6/10 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Leg (8/20 armor remaining), Left Torso (5/15 armor remaining), Right Arm (3/13 armor remaining), Left Leg (5/20 armor remaining), Right Leg (3/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 34!

End Phase:
Kraken
- Critical chance in Head: rolled 9, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Life Support damaged!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 8, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (1 base + 1 massive damage = 2): automatic success!

Spider (Player)
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 2, no critical hits sustained!
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 9, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Partial Wing damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- Critical chance in Left Arm: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 3, fails!
- - Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 massive damage + 2 avoiding damage = 8): rolled 5, fails!
- Pilot hit! Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 11, succeeds!
- Suffers 6 damage in the fall to Right Arm (0/13 armor, 8/10 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Arm (7/10 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 5, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Hand actuator damaged!

Physical Combat Phase:
Centurion (Player)
- Kicks Kraken (4 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (17/42 armor remaining)!

Kraken (Player)
- Kicks Centurion (1 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 2): automatically hit Left Leg (0/24 armor, 0/12 structure remaining)! Leg blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (20/23 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
Kraken
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (1 base + 1 massive damage + 0 kicked = 2): automatic success!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
- Enemy units are alert and aware of player positions

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy commander (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (11/19 remaining)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Announcement: I am moving to a new apartment and will be moving furniture this coming Wednesday, so I won't be able to do an update. We should be back up to speed by Saturday, but there is a (slim) chance I may have to miss two updates.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
drat, super lucky shooting there with so many shots nailing that CT, plus a head hit. That's pretty much GG for goons as soon as the Bandersnatch can get in range.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Man, Korean Robert got a taste for 100-tonner's heads.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, Gun Jam, I'm sending a vote your way.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
May I use reckless movement going through downed Mechs?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, goddamn. Looks like that Hunchie took all of PTN's diceluck. We're almost through, keep the pressure up!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
40 damage from a UAC/20 is huge and hard to deal with.

40 damage from an HAG-40 is not as bad as it seems.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was more talking about the Hunchback losing everything that wasn't an engine or UAC.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Korean Robert might have just won his second mission with that headshot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
this mission is extremely metal

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hard thumping

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah. Crits are scary, but first they need holes, then they have to he confirmed and then they have to hit something crucial, and sometimes two or three times.

Dadlas TSM kicks were basically a nightmare UAC-20 that always landed the second shell and synchronized its hits.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Korean Robert has earned the achievement: Super-Galaxy Headshot.

• Locked thread