Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

A successful military integration

That's still happening, that's what the "officer exchanges" are. Even the lowest-ranked Mechwarrior is still technically an officer (even if they're an NCO) :ssh:

It makes sure that neither side wants to shoot at each other because 40% of them are your own people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's still happening, that's what the "officer exchanges" are. Even the lowest-ranked Mechwarrior is still technically an officer (even if they're an NCO) :ssh:

It makes sure that neither side wants to shoot at each other because 40% of them are your own people.

Because the Draconis Combine sure cares about shooting their own people. :v:

I kid, mostly.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wonderful.

Time to break out the ultra-conservative splinter groups on both sides because 'Their Water cannot Mix with Our Water'.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CourValant posted:

Wonderful.

Time to break out the ultra-conservative splinter groups on both sides because 'Their Water cannot Mix with Our Water'.

I think that more or less has already happened on the FedSuns side.

Who knows what'll happen between these two groups in the future, but I think most of us would be pretty disappointed if things just went back to status quo antebellum, as it were.

Maybe this time the Fed/Draconis border will be the one relatively peaceful border in the Inner Sphere! :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

paragon1 posted:

Maybe this time the Fed/Draconis border will be the one relatively peaceful border in the Inner Sphere! :v:

Possible; the Horses under Roberts become the 'free trade cordon peacekeepers', with special agents and everything.

Kinda like the sectional 'police' along the Silk Road.

Hell, look at the backlash against 'Open Borders' globally these past two years, and apply that to the IS.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Visitors must not fight in the trade zone, that is a privilege reserved for residents. The penalty for breaching the law is aggressive death.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I’m just laughing at the idea that 10 years from now, the dracs are all going to be addicted to Immortal Warrior reruns, while the dirt sucking peasants of the fed suns will finally be able to afford a trideo set thanks to the economic boon of free trade with their longtime enemies just in time to become huge weebs watching cheesy samurai holovids.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Preechr posted:

I’m just laughing at the idea that 10 years from now, the dracs are all going to be addicted to Immortal Warrior reruns, while the dirt sucking peasants of the fed suns will finally be able to afford a trideo set thanks to the economic boon of free trade with their longtime enemies just in time to become huge weebs watching cheesy samurai holovids.

Why would any of that money go outside the Golden Five?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What I find interesting is that with the Draconis Combine having just recovered their capitol planet and the Federated Suns having lost the Duchy of New Syrtis with the merger, they are both smaller and weaker, so they kinda have to stay friendly because if they fight they may get eaten. I am also surprised that the Duchy didnt get punked by the Capellans, but I just started following the thread closely a few months ago so I may have missed some things that explained what was going on over there.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What I find interesting is that with the Draconis Combine having just recovered their capitol planet and the Federated Suns having lost the Duchy of New Syrtis with the merger, they are both smaller and weaker, so they kinda have to stay friendly because if they fight they may get eaten. I am also surprised that the Duchy didnt get punked by the Capellans, but I just started following the thread closely a few months ago so I may have missed some things that explained what was going on over there.

The CapCon got interdicted by ComStar, so nobody really knows what is going on over there. We know the CapCon has Clan scientists, who should be able to resolve their "ComStar took away your HPG privileges" problem, and also gave them a prototype for an AI controlled Mech/Drone system.

Presumably the CapCon is busy stabilizing their situation internally before dealing with things externally, but they should be in a pretty good position post time-skip.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

The CapCon got interdicted by ComStar, so nobody really knows what is going on over there. We know the CapCon has Clan scientists, who should be able to resolve their "ComStar took away your HPG privileges" problem, and also gave them a prototype for an AI controlled Mech/Drone system.

Presumably the CapCon is busy stabilizing their situation internally before dealing with things externally, but they should be in a pretty good position post time-skip.
drat. This is what I get for not reading the thread from the beginning. How did they get Clan scientists and why in the world would they be building AI mech/drone system(s)? Is that related to what I think I remember seeing someone say about the New Rim Worlds Republic having some advanced AI droneships for space combat?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

drat. This is what I get for not reading the thread from the beginning. How did they get Clan scientists and why in the world would they be building AI mech/drone system(s)? Is that related to what I think I remember seeing someone say about the New Rim Worlds Republic having some advanced AI droneships for space combat?

They got Clan Scientists because players stopped the Death Commandos from stomping on orphanages.

No, really.

Waaaaaaaaay back the players defeated a unit of CC Death Commandos. The survivors of that unit of Death Commandos were later given the opportunity - as PCs - to redeem themselves by going on a suicide mission to Clan-held space to grab as much tech as they could carry and bring it back to the Capellans. The players played really stupidly well, and so the Death Commandos turned out to be super-mega-successful and brought back not just technology and science but technicians and scientists.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^^
The Death Commandos weren't trying to stomp on orphanges. They were trying to do the humane thing and kill whole families so there would be no orphans. :china:

They liberated some Clan scientists during the Death Commando deep-strike suicide false flag raid campaign a couple years back. Because the Scientists found that the Cappellans treat them with respect and value their work, and also don't have a whole bunch of pesky moral bullshit to get in the way of SCIENCE!:science: they were getting along super well last we saw.

The AI drones don't, as far as we know, have anything to do with the NRWR capabilities. They do probably share a common root in the old SLDF space drone systems, though. Somewhat more worryingly, it has the potential to end up as The Broken.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 3, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

You should also know that the Free Worlds League saw the Cappellans going full war crime, so they know about the tech at the very least.

Also, the Rim Worlds Republic has (had?) the backing of Comstar, so that's probably why they have advanced tech: hard to say how things will end up in the future. Of course, neither the RWR nor Comstar will be happy learning that the Cappellans are dangerously close to closing the tech gap, which might get interesting down the line.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The feeling I got from the NRWR and ComStar angle was that it wasn't so much the "backing" of ComStar as much as it was that they had a sort of mutual agreement to not gently caress with each other. A lot of the NRWR tech came not from ComStar giving it to them, but from ComStar just not interfering to kill all their scientists. Plus the Amaris line investing heavily into R&D and production facilities.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They got Clan Scientists because players stopped the Death Commandos from stomping on orphanages.

No, really.

Waaaaaaaaay back the players defeated a unit of CC Death Commandos. The survivors of that unit of Death Commandos were later given the opportunity - as PCs - to redeem themselves by going on a suicide mission to Clan-held space to grab as much tech as they could carry and bring it back to the Capellans. The players played really stupidly well, and so the Death Commandos turned out to be super-mega-successful and brought back not just technology and science but technicians and scientists.

There was also a mission we passed on with CC Chancellor Max Liao doing a visit to some planet garrisoned by the Northwind Highlanders (or their permanent garrison world?) with the Death Commandos as his bodyguards. Because the thread decided not to do it, in the background PTN had the assassination mission that was supposed to happen that mission go ahead, so Max died and the DCs were disgraced even more than having failed to kill a bunch of hostages.

Also, the Northwind Highlanders were blamed for the assassination (probably from a plot from Justin Xiang to get Romano on the throne of the CC), so they were hunted, forced out of the CC, and joined up with (I think) the Fed Suns before the Duchy of New Syrtis broke off. Also, Romano nationalized all of the CCs mercenary companies holding contracts; if they refused to sign an oath of loyalty, they were shot until they did or hunted and forced out of the Confederation.

Man, that Death Commando campaign is still one of the best parts of this thread. So many good memories from that thing, but also spawned a thread argument over whether or not to pick that campaign in the first place because of their orphan killing edgelord rep. Good on PTN for heading that off (although not before it led to some rather heated tempers here) and making it awesome as we've come to expect from him.

And yeah, the CC has some rather advanced tech out of that CC raid; they effectively have the Society working for them. Remote piloted from a dropship and AI controlled mechs and advanced tech and all that, if the missions to recover Carlos Marik from behind enemy lines are any indication. The experimental Three Kingdom and Legendary Beasts of the Cardinal Directions mechs from those missions, under test pilots, stand out. They were also willing to warcrime a ComStar facility and HPG and Blue on Blue friendly forces not briefed in to their usage to hide this tech.

Still, those missions were the catalyst for the Steel Vipers and Red Corsair pirates (actually the Kell Hounds, Team Banzai, and Melissa Steiner playing pirate in hiding) to come to the rescue of the FWL after the latter left Duncan Marik holding the bag after the Helm cache raid where they ran into each other, and get his son back from behind Cappie lines after he got a message out before the HOG was warcrimed, and provided the impetus for all those parties, plus Skye, to come together and form the New Star League under ComStar's auspices and approval.

And who can forget Bondsman Caesar Steiner's rampage with the King Cobra and it's Heavy Mace during that rescue mission? That thing had a hunger for Society mechs and was King Dadlas and Korean Robert's Roughneck before the other two showed up to claim their titles as Clan(tech) mech kryptonite. What an amazing show that was to the delight of all in the thread...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 3, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

thetruegentleman posted:

You should also know that the Free Worlds League saw the Cappellans going full war crime, so they know about the tech at the very least.

Also, the Rim Worlds Republic has (had?) the backing of Comstar, so that's probably why they have advanced tech: hard to say how things will end up in the future. Of course, neither the RWR nor Comstar will be happy learning that the Cappellans are dangerously close to closing the tech gap, which might get interesting down the line.

Have Carlos' Crusaders - the FWL unit that witnessed Full War Crimes - made it back to the FWL yet? I know there was some talk of a rescue mission but I don't think we actually saw said mission's results yet.

As one of the players who helped Carlos get a message out and then encountered the AI Super Sentai Shadow Hawk Squadron, I am perhaps more invested in this than I should be.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think we've seen anything out of that section of the Sphere recently, so I don't think we've ever confirmed it one way or the other.

As the resident Cappellan fan, I can't wait to see how they make out in the future. :dance:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Have Carlos' Crusaders - the FWL unit that witnessed Full War Crimes - made it back to the FWL yet? I know there was some talk of a rescue mission but I don't think we actually saw said mission's results yet.

As one of the players who helped Carlos get a message out and then encountered the AI Super Sentai Shadow Hawk Squadron, I am perhaps more invested in this than I should be.

He was rescued by the Steel Vipers and the Kell Hounds and Melissa Steiner cosplaying as the Red Corsair pirates like I mentioned above. It was the mission right after he got his HPG call out and ComStar got warcrimed. And where Caesar Steiner wrecked Society face literally with the Heavy Mace on his King Cobra. Man, that was a mission to watch.

Since his rescue was what precipitated the creation of the New Star League with the FWL as one of the members, I assume Carlos made it back to his dad if Duncan was there to join it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zaodai posted:

The AI drones don't, as far as we know, have anything to do with the NRWR capabilities. They do probably share a common root in the old SLDF space drone systems, though. Somewhat more worryingly, it has the potential to end up as The Broken.

Maybe this time they won't be dumb enough to do the final testing in the Necromo system. Huh, zombie mechs (not that kind... well, OK, Awesomes) on Necromo? Who could have anticipated it? I suggest Victoria or maybe Ward; avoid Raphael at all costs.

GhostStalker posted:

And who can forget Bondsman Caesar Steiner's rampage with the King Cobra and it's Heavy Mace during that rescue mission? That thing had a hunger for Society mechs and was King Dadlas and Korean Robert's Roughneck before the other two showed up to claim their titles as Clan(tech) mech kryptonite. What an amazing show that was to the delight of all in the thread...

The Dream Team lineup (that probably will never happen) would be the King Cobra, Korean Robert in whatever, Dadlas and JagerMom, all as one big lethal family.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Narsham posted:

The Dream Team lineup (that probably will never happen) would be the King Cobra, Korean Robert in whatever, Dadlas and JagerMom, all as one big lethal family.

That would be amazing. PTN, make it happen somehow! It's just the right size for an Inner Sphere Lance too!

Maybe add the Charger Wrestlemech if we want to make it a Star, but since these are all Inner Sphere affiliated mechs (with the exception of the King Cobra), I don't see why you would. Still, it would be great to see.

EDIT: Forgot the Screamer too. Now that's six, so someone's got to go unless we go to a ComStar Level II (I think that's the right term, correct me if I'm wrong), and that's likely to be the Wrestlemech unfortunately because of affiliations and all that. Oh well. Still would be awesome.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 3, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Narsham posted:

What you really should be considering is the OPFOR to throw against this line-up.

Add in the Screamer to make it a Star, and have them face off against an Assault Cluster for the ultimate Trial of Refusal with the upcoming Clan Invasion - Second Wave.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

CourValant posted:

What you really should be considering is the OPFOR to throw against this line-up.

Add in the Screamer to make it a Star, and have them face off against an Assault Cluster for the ultimate Trial of Refusal with the upcoming Clan Invasion - Second Wave.

Battle of Tukayyid Two: Clan Crew Hullabaloo. All the fan favorites thrown together to face down a bunch of Clan Khans and their command squads. Big down side is that I can only see it happening when PTN wants to either change the thread or end it.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

thetruegentleman posted:

Battle of Tukayyid Two: Clan Crew Hullabaloo. All the fan favorites thrown together to face down a bunch of Clan Khans and their command squads.

I like it, have the Trial of Refusal be Tukayyid style with the thread favs instead of the canon Strana Mechty one-on-one.

Caballeros (I personally don't like them), Death Commandos, Hawks, Hanse, Uncle Chandy, Korean Roberts, Red Corsair, Steiner Boxing Rules, Wrassling Pirates, and all the others I've forgotten.

thetruegentleman posted:

Big down side is that I can only see it happening when PTN wants to either change the thread or end it.

How do you figure? Plenty of story left to tell, just because you stop the Clans, doesn't mean history ends. Heck, we had 3 Eras after the Clans in-canon.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wonder if there's any blank versions of the background used for TRO pages floating around. I was thinking about how we have our own TRO entries and then I was like "hey wait making PDFs is part of my job now, I totally know how to make that."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

Wonder if there's any blank versions of the background used for TRO pages floating around. I was thinking about how we have our own TRO entries and then I was like "hey wait making PDFs is part of my job now, I totally know how to make that."

Please post when ready!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
“With respect.”

Sitting in seiza, Robert Korean didn’t move so much as a centimeter as he made his measured reply. Hanse had attempted, against Chandrasekhar Kurita’s recommendation, to sit in seiza precisely once. He’d regretted it after less than ten minutes, and had felt the attempt in his knees for a few days afterwards. Momentarily, he envied the young.

“Someone must watch the Hell’s Horses, and doubly-so watch those who would seek to exploit them. I will walk among the Hell’s Horses, and I will report on them honestly. If they are making an effort to change, I shall report that. If they are not, I shall request you destroy them. Utterly and without pity.”

Robert’s dark brown eyes looked almost black in the dim light. His face was as devoid of joy as any Hanse had ever met, possessing instead the grim countenance of one who had not only been told the greatest duty he could perform for his country was sweeping manure, but who had likewise decided to carry out that duty to the best of his ability.

Hanse tipped his head, “The worlds they will be granted are those that have been the most devastated by the constant struggles between the Combine and the Suns. If the Hell’s Horses can’t return the old factories to full functionality, no one can. I expect the challenge will be to their liking,” he pressed his fingertips together, “but if it isn’t, and if defending the worlds of the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns isn’t enough challenge for them, we’ll be ready to finish them for good.”

Robert tipped his head in turn. “I have my doubts, but the Hell’s Horses shall find me an incorruptible watchdog. I do have a more personal request: after the Hell’s Horses took Luthien, I was separated from someone. I have not found her yet, but—”

“Say no more.” Isoroku Kurita interrupted, “Give her name to my aide, we shall find her for you.”

Red Dawn
Jumping farther than 30 light years is impossible, provided your end goal is to keep the jump drive intact. With a staggering disregard for a JumpShip’s reusability and enough applied mathematics, a JumpShip can be sent anywhere in the known universe. This knowledge was lost with the fall of the Star League, but even before the sheer waste of billions and the exponentially increasing risk of a misjump meant that the purely theoretical “long jump” had never been attempted under any circumstances. Before now.

Clairvaux
The first Crusade was a failure, plagued by infighting and collaborators and dancing to the tune of a disgraceful traitor. Failure cannot be tolerated, and traitors will be the first put to the sword. Only the True Clans can bring Kerensky’s peace to the fallen and the animalistic barbarians of the Inner Sphere alike!

Plan D
Incensed by the death of Stefan Amaris VI, the cybernetically-enhanced soldiers of the Rim Worlds Army and their mercenary allies have begun the final campaign to drive Clan forces from Andurien and secure the fledgling Republic’s place in history as one of the Inner Sphere’s great powers. Their goal is no longer the humiliation of the enemy, but its complete destruction.

Combat Theater Vote:
A) Red Dawn (Campaign)
B) Clairvaux (Campaign)
C) Plan D (Campaign)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

B

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
A! Whatever Red Dawn actually entails is super intriguing and exciting to me.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

C) Plan D (Campaign)

Plan C, erm. Option D!. Erm. total Destruction please! Sorry!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

C

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What are the odds of :parrot: in A failing?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Red Dawn is what Uncle Stevie would have wanted to succeed, and undoubtedly far more important if I recall correctly. It's the NRWR deep strike force, right?
Plan D (now ironically plan C) would allow us to avenge him directly, and deny the Clans a complete victory instead of just their partial for killing an Amaris.

I don't really want either of those to fail. drat. Uh... I'm open to advice from the thread, if anyone has arguments to be made one way or the other.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

B

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Red Dawn is, in all likelihood, a suicide mission when you consider what's coming down from the Clan Homeworlds.

Let's take them with us.

A

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . after the Hell’s Horses took Luthien, I was separated from someone. I have not found her yet, but—”

D'awww, dude's actually got a heart after all. :sparkles:

Vote: Red Dawn

C'mon people, this is our version of Task Force Serpent!!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. Deep strike time.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
A

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Before you start bandwagoning something you're not certain of.

This is our last shot at these missions, so make sure it's the one you really want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

A. Hell, this time the Wolverines are on the invading side! Maybe.

• Locked thread