Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

First update will be Sunday, I couldn't finish some of the sprite work due to carpal tunnel issues. We're very nearly ready.
No sweat, I'll be distracted by FOOTBAW anyway :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

painedforever posted:

"Put me on address. No, no need to announce me.

"Mechwarriors! Brothers. Sisters.

"I don't do speeches. But it's important that you know why we're here. What we're fighting for.

"This is not a war of high ideals. We're not fighting for freedom. We're not fighting for the future. We're not fighting for land, or resources, or glory. We're not even fighting for our survival, or our right to exist. We're fighting for revenge. We're fighting out of spite and hatred.

"Understand, this isn't about the Inner Sphere, the Star League or the SLDF. This isn't about reclaiming the legacy of the Kerenskys or the Clans. All that we have found amongst the stars is betrayal. And we're here to punish those who betrayed us.

"I don't know what comes after. I don't know if the future has a place for us. And I don't care. I'm just here to kill some Clanner bastards.

"...

"All lights are green. Give a ready report, and go weapons hot."

Crawling in my skin.
These wounds they will not heal.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

First update will be Sunday, I couldn't finish some of the sprite work due to carpal tunnel issues. We're very nearly ready.

Take breaks, feel better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Take care of yourself! Hope it gets better soon.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

chesnok posted:

Crawling in my skin.
These wounds they will not heal.

Viva Miriya posted:

username/post combo

Wait, wait, wait wait wait...

... d'you hear the voices too?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Aeaea 1

Designed to carry a company of ‘Mechs alongside a full battalion of tanks and Infantry the Excalibur-class DropShip lacked the typical repair facilities found in dedicated ‘Mech carriers like the Union and Overlord class. A refitted design, the Roseau’s vehicle bays had been gutted in favor of satellite launch platforms, ground-portable HPG units, and the most vital—and highly classified—piece of equipment the expedition carried: a single—and likely sacrificial—Super-HPG and the massive array of power generators required to operate it.

Capable of transmitting data up to fifty light years away through an artificial jump-point, the HPG was the foundation upon which human society was built. Without it, there was no real hope of long-term control as planets, isolated by distance and silence, would simply grow so culturally different they would lose any capacity to understand one another. The Super-HPG was built along similar lines, but rather than creating a single pinprick the SHPG tore a man-sized hole into trans-dimensional space.

It was theorized that, in a pinch, the Super-HPG could transmit a person over interstellar distances—providing the receiving unit was large enough to accommodate them. As most weren’t, that theory hadn’t—to Serena’s knowledge—ever been tested.

Instead, it meant as soon as she had the data in hand, the Republic’s Jump Torpedoes would take out most, if not all, of the orbital factories used by the Clans. The entire plan hinged on the Clans keeping tabs of their neighbors’ assets—not an unlikely scenario, they fought over them often enough. Contrary to Stefan Amaris’s stated desire to return Clan society to an agrarian state, he meant simply to deprive them of the means to create the high-quality endo-steel and ferro-fibrous armors their ‘Mechs needed and starve the Clan invasion of its ability to effectively repair its damaged BattleMechs.

The plan had been simple enough: a force of four JumpShips would land forces on the Clan capitol of Strana Mechty, while another three ships landed troops on Roche—the Widowmaker capitol—and the last three, lead by the Roseau, landed on the Wolverines’ former capitol of Circe where, Stefan Amaris was confident, sympathetic Clan scientists would aid them in exchange for sanctuary in the Republic.

The loss of two JumpShips had likely put the assault on Roche in jeopardy, the fortress of Spiderholm was of SLDF construction. Burning it to the ground had been the Wolverines’ weregild for undertaking what was very likely a suicide mission. Serena could only hope the two-and-a-half regiments that had made it to Roche would be sufficient to the task. The Four full regiments that three JumpShips could carry would have been far preferable. Not to mention a company of the Legion to defend the DropShips.

The assault on Strana Mechty was likely in no immediate danger, however. Four regiments or five-and-a-half hardly mattered, the amount of chaos they’d sew simply turning up in Nicholas Kerensky’s Dreamland was sufficient.

That left the most vital task to Serena and the four regiments the Wolverines had put down on Circe. If they could hold Circe, the Wolverines could repudiate their supposed annihilation and, with luck, their influence would liberalize the Clan sphere. If they couldn’t, the Jump Torpedoes would have already done their work.

“Touchdown in five,” Serena’s helmet microphone didn’t crackle. Her Dragoon was firmly ensconced in a modified MechBay and she still had a direct line to the bridge. The Excalibur-class only barely managed to fit twelve ‘Mechs in single cramped bay, but some of that space had been sacrificed to make room for more high-capacity water tanks to fuel the fusion generators. They’d barely fit nine ‘Mechs in, but their target should have been lightly defended: a communications hub owned, as of their last intelligence report, by Clan Snow Raven.

“Satellites do show movement on the ground, ‘Mech units taking cover.” Colonel Marduk grunted. “Looks like a binary. Blue bodies, with gray on the arms—that’s Clan Coyote’s Beta Galaxy.”

“Of course,” Serena made a few precise blinks and eye motions, calling up the satellite feed on her helmet’s heads-up display. “I see new construction, looks like they’re in the process of turning the communications array into a full-blown testing facility. Every invasion needs to replace battlefield losses, I guess. What are the odds our opposition are rookies?”

“Slim to none,” Marduk replied. “Beta Galaxy’s a line unit. Even if they’ve never seen combat before, every Mechwarrior down there has taken out at least one BattleMech in a real fight.”

[N/A]

[N/A]

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Aces Some enemy ‘Mech units may become aces if certain conditions are met
BattleArmor Aces All battle armor units are aces

Primary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (0/10)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleArmor (0/5)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 21, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Snow Fox is probably my favorite Quad until post-Jihad when the Jaguar, Thunder Fox, Trebaruna, Antlion, and Sarath redeem the entire concept. Nice to see one show up here. :shobon:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nice VOTOMS reference.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Chirico can kill gods with his service revolver. The players have no chance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Fire Moth breaks the naming trend drat it! :argh:

Everything is Good Dogs

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

goatface posted:

Chirico can kill gods with his service revolver. The players have no chance.

P much.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleArmor Aces All battle armor units are aces

:getin:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Coyote here, I'm thinking of moving forward into 0527 and firing into that group of Ironhold's if they give me line of sight. Not sure what else I can do this turn. Any advice? I assume, considering my loudout, that my role will be to hang out at the back of the lance and shoot things full of missiles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Coyote here, I'm thinking of moving forward into 0527 and firing into that group of Ironhold's if they give me line of sight. Not sure what else I can do this turn. Any advice? I assume, considering my loudout, that my role will be to hang out at the back of the lance and shoot things full of missiles.

You could play support, but I wouldn't recommend it. You're actually a close range fighter. Take advantage of your lack of minimum range penalty to get in close and use your Chain Whip. If you hit an arm, you can immobilize your target for a turn. If you hit a leg you can trip it. If you hit anywhere else you'll do one whole damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clan LRMs: making SRMs obsolete since 1990.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dis astranagant posted:

Clan LRMs: making SRMs obsolete since 1990.

Nah, SRMs still wreck things harder at short range for their tonnage and do it with more hits and potential crits. You can get three SRM-6s for the tonnage of a single LRM-20 (and have a half ton left over) and with that collection of tubes you'll average 12 missile hits for 24 damage, not the LRM's "mere" 12 damage in three groups of 5-5-2. A single Streak 6 will match a (Clan) LRM-20's average and it's 40% lighter. It'll also do it as the poster child of reliability, which the 20 column very much is not.

The downside, obviously, is that they don't get to do it at long range too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Having a short range that's almost the other's entire range does a lot to make up for any shortcomings on the cluster table.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Don't forget that Streaks get the whole 12 hex range. The LRMs are definitely more versatile, but they don't come anywhere near making Clan SRMs obsolete.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Streaks also have the benefit of being something you can fire every turn without worrying about generating heat for no benefit.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oboyoboyoboy!

Gosh, there's so many of them! Haha, just what I like! A target-rich environment!

Is that enough bravado, d'you think? Have I fooled everyone into believing that I'm in control, and have not secret soiled myself? Right. Cool.

Right, let's keep it together, figure out where we're going. Nice of PTN to not make this a Fog of War map.

Seems like our first target will be the point of Toads at 0418, Ironhold Battle Armor. AP Gauss. We want to eliminate as many of the Toads as possible before moving on to other targets. I think they're 16 grid units away? The Dragoon and Blackwatch could hit them without moving using energy weapons. Me and the Wolverine would have to take a couple of steps to use our lasers. Gurkhas and Nyxes can walk 7 units and start raking them with lasers.

Basically, I want to contain these guys so that they can't flank us. No distractions while we start peeling away at the remaining OpForce...

... is that a Kit Fox with a Guass Rifle?

BTW, do you also have to give that number in a Discord ID for someone to find and add you?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PoptartsNinja posted:

You could play support, but I wouldn't recommend it. You're actually a close range fighter. Take advantage of your lack of minimum range penalty to get in close and use your Chain Whip. If you hit an arm, you can immobilize your target for a turn. If you hit a leg you can trip it. If you hit anywhere else you'll do one whole damage.

Does the whip do any more damage to battle armour? The mental image of a dude just shrugging off a giant chain whip being held by a big gently caress off robot is pretty amusing

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I...uh...is it just me or does it seem like we are way out-weighted and out-gunned by those two stars of clan mechs?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
510 versus 555 with 3/4 practically across the board. Seems like the inherent initiative bonus should help out a lot so physical attacks can even the playing field.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ironholds and Golems. You do not want those area denial bastards anywhere near in range of your 'Mechs. Fortunately you have lots of plasma.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I...uh...is it just me or does it seem like we are way out-weighted and out-gunned by those two stars of clan mechs?

That's always the case because the players moving last is an enormous advantage.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh, don't worry about it! It just seems that way because there are so many of them and they have so many guns. It'll be fine!

You, my friend, have nothing to worry about. You're in a Heavy, with ECM, lasers and plasma rifles. And you can negate Ace. You just need to hold down on that trigger and BRRRRR the hell out of everyone while they miss.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Battle armor pre-deployed in forest positions are notttttttt good. Better rush em as fast as you can before there/s much more in their area to deal with.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh, huh. That's interesting. The Savage Wolf/Mad Cat mk 4 exists like a hundred years early? Is that some sort of side-effect of the Wolf Spider becoming the dominant variant compared to the original Timber Wolf?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

I wouldn't worry too much about the mismatch. The goons have had larger mismatches, such as in Jeronimo: Breakout and still managed to win. Poptarts probably won't go easy on us, but he isn't going to make a scenario unwinnable either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rorahusky posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mismatch. The goons have had larger mismatches, such as in Jeronimo: Breakout and still managed to win. Poptarts probably won't go easy on us, but he isn't going to make a scenario unwinnable either.
Yeah I'm not worried that PTN will just straight up dumpster us, I was just surprised to see that much weight plus all the scary as gently caress battle armor. If I remember spotting rules correctly, we cant even see that point of Battle Armor nearest us because of the number of forests in the way (I may need to look at the map again; I was distracted by my football team losing the to refs and the Patriots all at once yesterday).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Was there something in the fluff about missing reinforcements on the invader’s side? Any chance they’ll show up sometime during the fight when things look darkest?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All that is known right now is that one of the ships aborted their jump (so potentially if it was just a minor issue they might be able to follow soon-ish?) and that another ship is just flat out gone, so they likely misjumped and could be anywhere from "sitting safely in the check-down system near NRWR space charging for a jump home" to "erased from existence".

It is unlikely the cavalry is on its way, with the slim exception of that one ship that aborted. That seems pretty unlikely though. We've got what we've got.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Yeah I'm not worried that PTN will just straight up dumpster us, I was just surprised to see that much weight plus all the scary as gently caress battle armor. If I remember spotting rules correctly, we cant even see that point of Battle Armor nearest us because of the number of forests in the way (I may need to look at the map again; I was distracted by my football team losing the to refs and the Patriots all at once yesterday).

Yea, unless it decides to leave the forest it is out of LoS to everyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

burn down the woods

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

burn down the woods

That will make more cover for the Elementals but isn't a bad plan. Being in a fire hex will ruin an Elemental's day unless it has Fire Resistant armor, and hexes are easy to hit provided you have Line of Sight.

I am honestly surprised how subdued the players have been, I've given out quite a few Infernos lately and not one hex has been lit on fire :aaaaa:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Most of us are preconditioned to no longer set anything ablaze as there was a point (presumably years ago) where you made it quite explicit that setting things on fire was not going to be tracked and they wouldn't spread, etc, specifically to keep people from needlessly attempting to set things on fire.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Any thoughts on where we want to go and target priority from my lance mates? I imagine this first turn will be mostly movement, so now would be a good time to strategize.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

burn down the woods

Pros: Infantry without fire resistant armor that end their turn in a burning hex are BBQ'd.
Cons: Smoke everywhere, and the only BA without jump jets has fire resistant armor so they don't care.

The mechanics of actually starting fires: Shoot the hex (you get the -4 to hit mod since it's immobile), and depending on the weapon roll a die to see if it started a fire.
Plasmas and Infernos are guaranteed to start fires, Flamers only need a 4, and normal missile/ballistic weapons are the worst, needing 9+. Normal energy weapons need a 7.

Mechs don't care about damage from fires, but if you end your turn in a fire hex you eat extra heat. Walking through fire hexes also gives you heat, but not as much.

Elementals don't take the double damage from being in the open like normal infantry do they?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Most of us are preconditioned to no longer set anything ablaze as there was a point (presumably years ago) where you made it quite explicit that setting things on fire was not going to be tracked and they wouldn't spread, etc, specifically to keep people from needlessly attempting to set things on fire.

Setting things on fire for no reason still won't be tracked, and I don't want to roll for every weapon on the 'Mech, but if you've got infernos a quick "I want to make smoke to provide cover for friendlies by starting fire in [hex]" is reason enough.

The reason I banned fire wasn't because I don't want fire, it's because for two years the only fires anyone ever wanted to start were in their own deployment zone. :v:

Gwaihir posted:

Elementals don't take the double damage from being in the open like normal infantry do they?

They do not, Elemental Armor is made out of the same magic that BattleMech armor is. That rule doesn't apply to BattleArmor units.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Edit: Post got made redundant : (

Anyway, feels better to try and hit the Elementals themselves, even at long odds. And come to think of it, there's also the risk that setting things on fire might also screw with other player's plans.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread