Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are the ones with dirt patches and lighter-shade borders light woods and the darker boarder ones that my lovely eyes keep seeing as a grass lawn the heavy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Are the ones with dirt patches and lighter-shade borders light woods and the darker boarder ones that my lovely eyes keep seeing as a grass lawn the heavy?

Yeah

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Aeaea 2

“Let’s keep this advance methodical,” Captain Réka growled into her helmet microphone. The RWA-standard PA(L) armor always made her feel a little claustrophobic, and learning to focus one’s eyes on the faceplate’s HUD rather than the world beyond it had taken some doing. The PA(L) negated the need for multiple cockpit monitors. Linked directly to the ‘Mech’s DI Computer, it could call up any diagnostic in real-time with a simple verbal command or the proper sequence of eye motions.

She kicked her Gurkha up to a run. The spindly-legged ‘Mech had been based on the aging Assassin, but the shoulder-mounted snub-nosed PPC gave her far more striking power than that aging relic. She hovered her crosshairs over the woods where the Roseau had marked a team of enemy BattleArmor on the way down. She hoped they’d show typical Clan aggression, but there was no sign of them.

“Looks like we’re not going to get lucky just yet. Dieudonné, Varsha, see if you can’t smoke out that infantry!”

Shooting Phase
Dragoon II (Player)
- Holds fire!
Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Holds fire!
Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Coyote (Player)
- Holds fire!
Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Black Watch (Player)
- No orders received!
Gains 0 heat, sinks 22!

Rampage II (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Ironhold: No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Gurkha #1 (Player)
- Fires Snub-nose PPC at Ironhold: No Line of Sight to target!
Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Nyx #1 (Player)
- Fires Inferno SRMs at hex 1218 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target = 5): Rolled 7, hit!
- Fires Inferno SRMs at hex 1219 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 secondary target = 6): Rolled 3, miss!
Gains 10 heat, sinks 20!

Gurkha #2 (Player)
Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Nyx #2 (Player)
- Fires Inferno SRMs at hex 1320 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target = 5): Rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRMs at hex 1420 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 secondary target = 6): Rolled 4, miss!
Gains 10 heat, sinks 20!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Aces Some enemy ‘Mech units may become aces if certain conditions are met
BattleArmor Aces All battle armor units are aces

Primary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleMechs (0/10)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy Enemy BattleArmor (0/5)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does that smoke block vision like forests do?

Has anyone heard from "chktshadeclaw"? I checked the past few pages (since the announcement that they were a pilot) and I could not find a post.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If PTN hasn't changed anything for this mission, each hex of smoke counts as a hex of light woods for vision blocking purposes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does that smoke block vision like forests do?

Has anyone heard from "chktshadeclaw"? I checked the past few pages (since the announcement that they were a pilot) and I could not find a post.

Yup, smoke works exactly like light woods without the movement penalties. +1 to hit per hex, 3 hexes block LoS.

If the Ironholds are going to stay put, looks like GoonForce has a good chance to utterly bushwhack some of those Clan mechs if they come charging through the smoke. Goons can use the LoS break between it and the forests to angle up and hit whatever comes through from both sides. If they stay split up like they are now, there'll be a turn or two where all the goons can shoot much fewer Clanners and let weight of numbers do the work.

(Obligatory nice dodging by those woods lol)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

(Obligatory nice dodging by those woods lol)

The noted Circeian fighting tree! We're all doomed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It looks like the breach is definitely where GLORIOUS BATTLE HAPPENS.

I'm thinking about swinging out along the rises on the east and west side to line up for a long dash as they come through to get as much TMM as possible. Maybe looping around with the Gurkha and coming to a stop in those woods on the hill, not sure about the Nyx yet.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Fire Moths cover a lot of ground, don't they? Now I wish I hadn't turned, and kept on heading towards the other forest squares so that I could skirt around them.

But then, I'm not a light or medium to be trying for "flanking", am I?

I reckon I'm going to keep heading straight, maybe walking speed. 1320 is heavy forest, right? So no real LoS. We'll have to wait for the fires to burn those hexes before we can engage those damned Ironholds.

Lasers can't clear forest squares, right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think there are rules for clearing terrain, but I don't know what they are off hand or whether PTN prefers to deal with them or not.

Heavy woods are a thing to note though, some they take an extra mp to traverse and add +2 on top of the to hit number when fitting through them.

I think 0823 works pretty well as a spot to set up in- Nothing has Los on you, and you'll have great shots + partial cover against anything coming through the smoke next turn.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 25, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Firemoth D is an irritating little bug but dies instantly if it ever manages to not have an obscene move mod while having the bv of an assault mech.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 25, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

I think there are rules for clearing terrain, but I don't know what they are off hand out whether PTN prefers to deal with them or not.

They're not a guaranteed thing even if you're using flamers, so I don't recommend it unless we have someone getting real bored.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Okay, so this is just me thinking out loud. This isn't a whatchamacallit, a plan of action.

I figure there are two ways we need to think about what we're doing, strategically and tactically.

Strategy

We're outnumbered a bit, 15 units to our 9. Dunno about outgunned, but numbers do count for something, that's the most obvious disadvantage. Two ways to mitigate that:

1. Split them up. I'm not going to metagame PTN, but Clanners tend to be very gung-ho, and as we can see from Medium/Light Star running in at us, I don't think they're all heading at us together. But even if they did...

2. Don't allow them all to attack you at once. This is sort of a corollary to the above. That breach is 4 to 7 hexes wide, with forests, level 1 and level 3 terrain. It's possible that we could restrict them to coming at us a Star at a time, at most. Admittedly, intervening units can't be used for blocking line of sight, but we can at least stop them from attacking us in the rear.

Essentially, we don't want them able to cross the line from 0817 to 1420. They get there, and they might overrun us.

Tactics

We have quite a few 'mechs adept at "messing up the enemy", even at short to medium range. Muenster has Pulse Lasers, ECM and the Plasma Rifles. Cascade Jones (I'm guessing he's being subbed by someone else?) has a lot of anti-personnel stuff (AP Guass and Plasma). Paragon's got a great load-out, dumping a bunch of LRMs as they close, then trip them when they try to get in his face. Is chktshadeclaw with us? 'cause he'll have to stay back and bombard folks as they try to close.

Wherever we build the defensive line, I think it'd be me in the middle, with Paragon and Muenster flanking me and Cascade (or his substitute) behind. That way I can stretch my AMS to give us all cover against ordinance and use my shield once the Assault Star reaches us.

Sair and Defiance can send their Nyxes toward 0817 because of their huge speed, and cover that flank. Maybe break out and use their weird SRM loadouts to harass the different Battle Armor points. The Gurkhas head toward the forest they've set ablaze, from where they can use their jumpjets to get to higher ground, and then jump guys from behind, gut them, and then jump back out again.

By the way, are AP Guass Rifles equally effective against 'Mechs? I'm wondering about how threatening that chunk of AP Guass Rifles is at 1418.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

'Sup, goonlance. I'm told I've been called up for the Wolverine II. At this point I like the idea of trying to murder the fast lance as they come through the gap under the smoke screen, with an eye to taking the woods in the breach. To that end I'm thinking of jumping to 1126, with a contingency to shoot the ironholds with my plasmas if they move to a place I have LOS. Thoughts? Concerns? Someone else want 1126?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sweet! Welcome aboard. I like the cut of your jib, young Lesch... Nyhan. Doesn't roll off the tongue exactly, but we can work at it.

Go forth! Go forth and be awesome!

And I just realized, the Gurkhas can't jump can they? That number in brackets? That's not their jump range, is it? It's probably something like MASC movement, isn't it?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I've been called up as a potential replacement for chktshadeclaw in the Black Watch as well, but I haven't had a chance to take a good hard look at the situation. I've got a lot of long-range firepower so I'm thinking about claiming a high elevation and playing fire support/artillery. Advice would be welcome.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've been called up as a potential replacement for chktshadeclaw in the Black Watch as well, but I haven't had a chance to take a good hard look at the situation. I've got a lot of long-range firepower so I'm thinking about claiming a high elevation and playing fire support/artillery. Advice would be welcome.

You have a huge pile of hardened armor and more Firepower than you can use, but are terminally slow. Ideally you can find some woods to park in and then just unload, but your speed means it's going to take a few turns to even get to a good spot.
Working towards something like hex 0620 would be ideal, it's heavy woods with good Los to everything. (Of course by the time you make it there who knows what the situation is)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 25, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LeschNyhan posted:

'Sup, goonlance. I'm told I've been called up for the Wolverine II. At this point I like the idea of trying to murder the fast lance as they come through the gap under the smoke screen, with an eye to taking the woods in the breach. To that end I'm thinking of jumping to 1126, with a contingency to shoot the ironholds with my plasmas if they move to a place I have LOS. Thoughts? Concerns? Someone else want 1126?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Welcome aboard! Here is a google doc that Gwaihir set up for us to use to coordinate our moves. I am going to be adding map links to it as we go. I am the Dragoon pilot; I have a BAP and ECM - I hope the BAP isnt going to find anything else for us to shoot at but I am glad I have it. Between that and the ECM I have suggested our heavies/assaults stay close together (as much as possible) to stay under that ECM umbrella.

Lemniscate Blue you have Clan-style LRMs that have no minimum range, so do not hesitate to get up close and personal for melee attacks or positioning, if it suits you.

We dont have much of a plan set up yet but I think the general idea right now is "Wait to see what rushes through that gap in the terrain. Then shoot it."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm thinking of moving up to 0522 0523. Plan is to pop out from behind the hill next turn and start blasting fools.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

The Gurkhas head toward the forest they've set ablaze, from where they can use their jumpjets to get to higher ground, and then jump guys from behind, gut them, and then jump back out again.

Gurkhas don't have jjs. Our game is long sprints.

quote:

By the way, are AP Guass Rifles equally effective against 'Mechs? I'm wondering about how threatening that chunk of AP Guass Rifles is at 1418.
Yes, they're like better MGs.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We dont have much of a plan set up yet but I think the general idea right now is "Wait to see what rushes through that gap in the terrain. Then shoot it."

My thought is we should definitely do that, but we also should not give PTN the opportunity to entrench in the breach woods. Anything he gets in there will have a pretty good line on us, with cover, whereas if we take it we have a good line on his assets, with ours in cover. The Ironholds have to go.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

painedforever posted:

And I just realized, the Gurkhas can't jump can they? That number in brackets? That's not their jump range, is it? It's probably something like MASC movement, isn't it?

It's MASC movement in the brackets.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least you guys don't have to guess were the toads are.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Welcome to the gang! And I will call you "Lemniscate Blue".

Problem I see is that there's a lot of broken terrain between the LZ and where (we estimate) the front-line will be. And none of us has C3, so that you could share our LoS. Missiles also need direct LoS in tabletop, right? He can't just drop ordinance onto any grid that we can see?

Anyway, your 'mech is a very slow and heavy beast. Your best bet might be to make for 0528, and just try and bull on straight through obstacles.

Your missing the first turn might work out for us! As our artillery, it's better if you stay behind the screening line.

paragon1 posted:

I'm thinking of moving up to 0522 0523. Plan is to pop out from behind the hill next turn and start blasting fools.

Why facing 0422, though? You could face 0622, save a couple of movement points. I'll wind up at 0823, I think, and Leschy will be at 1126, which will be the start of a united front to cover the mouth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

Problem I see is that there's a lot of broken terrain between the LZ and where (we estimate) the front-line will be. And none of us has C3, so that you could share our LoS. Missiles also need direct LoS in tabletop, right? He can't just drop ordinance onto any grid that we can see?

Indirect LRM fire is a thing but unless you're using TAG and semi-guided LRMs with a crack gunner, you might as well not bother against moving targets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Black Watch, a couple questions.

1) I'm having a little trouble parsing my movement rates. I'm assuming I am a 3/4/3, but do the brackets mean I have MASC? If so, is there a number missing?

2) If I'm figuring LOS right, there's no hex I can get to that I have line of sight to any enemy, because of heavy woods blocking. Is that correct?

3) Speaking of woods, they still add movement cost to move into/through when jumping, yes? That's gonna eat a lot of turns for my big pokey rear end. Should I maneuver through the single hex of light woods at 0826 to minimize this slowdown?

If so, I'll head to 0729. I'll just advance for now and hope for clear shots coming up. It looks like I may be in the woods for the next couple turns no matter what I do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1. It's walk/run/jump

2. Doesn't look like it. After this turn, though, there should be more enemies coming into range and so you should have an easier time.

3. No.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1) I'm having a little trouble parsing my movement rates. I'm assuming I am a 3/4/3, but do the brackets mean I have MASC? If so, is there a number missing?

2) If I'm figuring LOS right, there's no hex I can get to that I have line of sight to any enemy, because of heavy woods blocking. Is that correct?

3) Speaking of woods, they still add movement cost to move into/through when jumping, yes? That's gonna eat a lot of turns for my big pokey rear end. Should I maneuver through the single hex of light woods at 0826 to minimize this slowdown?

If so, I'll head to 0729. I'll just advance for now and hope for clear shots coming up. It looks like I may be in the woods for the next couple turns no matter what I do.

Looks like you can get to 0728 via jumping, then another 3 hexes on the following turn will get you in to firing position.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gwaihir posted:

Looks like you can get to 0728 via jumping, then another 3 hexes on the following turn will get you in to firing position.

Yeah I forgot that height changes don't cost more when you're jumping either. That makes things a whole lot more viable.

Rusty at this game. Thanks both of you for the help.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Defiance Industries posted:

Indirect LRM fire is a thing but unless you're using TAG and semi-guided LRMs with a crack gunner, you might as well not bother against moving targets.

Y'know, every time Defiance has to reply to me, in my mind, he's rolling his eyes and thinking, "Oh god, what kind of a n00b have I been saddled with? Am I going to have to win this on my own with just a pair of lights?

"Y'know what? You keep bein' a big ol' distraction over there, jive turkey," because in my mind, Defiance is also Shaft, "and I'm going to go over here and gank these suckas... SUCKAS!"

:roflolmao:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1) PTN does movement a bit weird. It's walk/run(MASC) with jump in a different box.

2)probably. You're the slowest thing on the board so be thinking several moves ahead when you move. Plan on walking 3 hexes straight ahead any turn you're shooting since both running and jumping penalize you more than anyone shooting back.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 26, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dis astranagant posted:

1) PTN does movement a bit weird. It's walk/run(MASC) with jump in a different box.

I get that, but the Black Watch's movement profile box has either more brackets or fewer numbers than I was expecting, so I'm not sure how to interpret it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I get that, but the Black Watch's movement profile box has either more brackets or fewer numbers than I was expecting, so I'm not sure how to interpret it.

The brackets are because of heavy armor killing your run speed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, carrying more than double the armor the Dragoon II mounts has a slightly negative impact on your run speed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

Sair
May 11, 2007

I'm just gonna loop around to the west.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Aww, poo poo, missed the PM. hoping I'm not too late tool jump in here

Lemniscate Blue posted:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, it looks like the heavy/assault star might not be joining up for the counter assault, thankfully.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Don't forget that you all have clan spec LRMs. No minimum range, so don't relegate yourself to artillery/fire support duty just because you only have LRMs or primarily LRMs. Those things will still wreck faces at short range as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chktshadeclaw posted:

Aww, poo poo, missed the PM. hoping I'm not too late tool jump in here

I haven't submitted any alternate orders yet, so please take it and have fun!

• Locked thread