Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

No... NOOOOOO!

I think everyone keeps voting for A because A looks like two <REDACTII> making sweet, stand-up love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

I think everyone keeps voting for A because A looks like two <REDACTII> making sweet, stand-up love.

There is no "love" in the Clans, freebith. Only coupling!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
My count may be a little off, but here are the vote tallies so far:

Option A: ~30
Option B: 0
Option C: 3
Option D: 3

I think we all know where the vote is likely to end up...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
A

On another note, a King Crab is the most 'this thread' Mech and I hope one gets busted out soon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mary Annette posted:

Yo, don't even trip I got this watch your boy tear this bitch up

The Clans have an ER version that has double the range and no minimum :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

A

On another note, a King Crab is the most 'this thread' Mech and I hope one gets busted out soon.

it is... best mech... it love you long time with dual ac/20s

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KnoxZone posted:

I think this fight was lost when the Steiner Rules were introduced. Can you imagine how much easier it would have gone had Marik Rules been introduced instead? The Lucerne and Mugger must fight amongst each other, civil war style, with the winner allowed to fight the Zeus.
This is pretty much how Clanners bid TBH.

Defiance Industries posted:

Lincoln Osis' giant head says you remind him of his favorite food, the Double-Down.
He's just pissed that he got turned down for a role in Gears of War 3.

Bad Moon posted:

The Clans have an ER version that has double the range and no minimum :v:
Scarily this is almost true.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

TildeATH posted:

Is there really anyone in this thread who doesn't know what the giant black rectangles are at this point?

In fact, I think PTN should pull the old switcheroo and have the clans deploy black rectangles of death instead. Now, that would be surprising.

Actually yeah, I played MechWarrior III as a kid, but that's the limit of my exposure to this material; I still have no idea what y'all are talking about, so I'm just hoping it comes up sooner rather than later so all the spoiler stuff can stop.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Voting A, like it matters, and Sam/Lucerne for the MVP's of the match. Good show gents.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

A

Vote Com Guard next time, then. It's one of their main Assault designs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thaddius the Large posted:

Actually yeah, I played MechWarrior III as a kid, but that's the limit of my exposure to this material; I still have no idea what y'all are talking about, so I'm just hoping it comes up sooner rather than later so all the spoiler stuff can stop.
They were there, but underwhelming. Good fun in the expansion for Instant Action though.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Press A for Adventure.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

TildeATH posted:

Is there really anyone in this thread who doesn't know what the giant black rectangles are at this point?

I've been following this thread ever since PoptartsNinja announced it in the Star Trek Online LP. First, thank you PoptartsNinja for two incredible threads.

Second, I never played Battletech, or even knew anything about it until this thread. So yes, I have no clue what the black triangles are, but based on the non-spoiled text I think I have a good guess. Honestly it's a little disappointing. I think I was supposed to be shocked and awed like the Iraqi army when the Clanners showed up, but after everyone talked up how quickly IS mechs would die I was surprised that the battle didn't end the first round with the IS mechs melted into commemorative figurines.

In a way, I suppose it's not a problem to go ahead and reveal what they are since most of the dramatic tension is gone. After so long hearing about scary clan stuff, it's more of a "So that's what everyone has been talking about" instead of a "HOLY FUCKSTICKS WHAT WAS THAT?!?" I'm supposed to feel at the big reveal.

Still, I love this thread and am sad that I evidently missed out on giant robot stompy action for so long.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm no expert on Battletech. But from what I gather the next time we see Samantha Clover and Caeser Steiner they'll be in the cockpits of Clan Steel Viper mechs, brains nice and squeaky clean, right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think I was supposed to be shocked and awed like the Iraqi army when the Clanners showed up, but after everyone talked up how quickly IS mechs would die I was surprised that the battle didn't end the first round with the IS mechs melted into commemorative figurines.

In fairness, if PTN hadn't had the Clanners handicap themselves for most of the fight, You'd have probably gotten your wish.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I know very little about Battletech so I still haven't bothered to try and figure out what the rectangles are.

I vote A for Awesome.

Wishing I had signed up to play, but I'm sure there are plenty of more experienced players waiting for a turn so I'll just keep spectating.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I felt bad about just tearing the book to shreds, so I decided to rebuild it afterwards.

But it means you were competing against yourself for the grand prize. D:

Wait, no, there was another entry. Judging begins!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 19, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've been following this thread ever since PoptartsNinja announced it in the Star Trek Online LP. First, thank you PoptartsNinja for two incredible threads.

Second, I never played Battletech, or even knew anything about it until this thread. So yes, I have no clue what the black triangles are, but based on the non-spoiled text I think I have a good guess. Honestly it's a little disappointing. I think I was supposed to be shocked and awed like the Iraqi army when the Clanners showed up, but after everyone talked up how quickly IS mechs would die I was surprised that the battle didn't end the first round with the IS mechs melted into commemorative figurines.

In a way, I suppose it's not a problem to go ahead and reveal what they are since most of the dramatic tension is gone. After so long hearing about scary clan stuff, it's more of a "So that's what everyone has been talking about" instead of a "HOLY FUCKSTICKS WHAT WAS THAT?!?" I'm supposed to feel at the big reveal.

Still, I love this thread and am sad that I evidently missed out on giant robot stompy action for so long.

Nothing could live up to the hype the REDACTED are getting, but that doesn't mean they won't still come as a bit of a surprise when they're unleashed. I mean, there's only so much it could be. You know it's not nukes, or tentacle rape monsters. That pretty much leaves one thing.

Nuclear powered tentacle rape monsters.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

A

Vote for the ComGuard then. Hopefully PTN will give us a King Crab with a veteran pilot who has Fist Fire, so you can punch people with AC/20 shells.

Fist Fire is the most :black101: Pilot Special Ability ever and everyone should love it. And I am voting A for rear end-kickings.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

We have already lost. There is no hope of standing against the Monolith.

Oddly enough, 'Monolith' is actually the 'pet name' I have for my computer. It's a big black slab, you see.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Zaodai posted:

Nothing could live up to the hype the REDACTED are getting, but that doesn't mean they won't still come as a bit of a surprise when they're unleashed. I mean, there's only so much it could be. You know it's not nukes, or tentacle rape monsters. That pretty much leaves one thing.

Nuclear powered tentacle rape monsters.

You heard the man. House Kurita? Stay the gently caress away from those guys.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

Vote for the ComGuard then. Hopefully PTN will give us a King Crab with a veteran pilot who has Fist Fire, so you can punch people with AC/20 shells.

Fist Fire is the most :black101: Pilot Special Ability ever and everyone should love it. And I am voting A for rear end-kickings.

Well, either that or punching with Gauss rounds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Let's go with the A option.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Goddamn, I just caught up with the end of the last mission... You were so close, Muk, only to be foiled at the last minute. You're definitely getting my MVP vote, honorable mention going out to the rest of the Command Lance and the tank for being generally awesome and kicking as much rear end as they did.

I have no thoughts on the Political Vote though. I do, however, wish to see what Caesar Steiner is going to pull off against Star Colonel Dusk at the end of that last update, as well as the fates of Lt Clover and Cpl Hunter after they were taken as bondsmen...

Also, against what seems to be popular opinion, I'd prefer to see the Combine fighting the Clans next mission over the ComGuard...

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, I tried to put together an entry on the Far Country thing as well, which (maybe?) was your "other entry". If not, um, please note its existence. I just decided to try to for quality over quantity.

Also voting for B, because no option should be entirely orphaned.

e: v Yup, that's the one. Everything after that is utterly disconnected from the rest Battletech save for, essentially, the existence of certain pieces of hardware, so I just stopped there.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 19, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, I tried to put together an entry on the Far Country thing as well, which (maybe?) was your "other entry". If not, um, please note its existence. I just decided to try to for quality over quantity.

Also voting for B, because no option should be entirely orphaned.

The bullet point list of prologue gaffs, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bonus Update 6!

Far Country Contest Results!

First, the entries!

ZeeToo's Entry

AJ_Impy's Entry

Bobbin Threadbare's Entry
Part 0
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
After-Action Report
Part Horror Story

Now, judging for this was pretty difficult, all-around. As much as I would love to say 'gently caress it, you entered, you all win'; but c'mon... we're Goons. You'd never let me live that down.

First, AJ_Impy managed to capture the pure, unadulterated :wtf: of Far Country with a single audio entry. That is... impressive; especially since he didn't need to create any original content.

Second, ZeeToo solved the canonicity problems of Far Country with the holy power of muppet babies; which truly can make anything better.

Bobbin Threadbare's entry was loving prolific. It was consistent, readable, and quite enjoyable. He spent a lot of time on it, and it really shows.

So, for bragging rights (and a prize, I guess), the contest winner is Bobbin Threadbare! Congratulations, Bobbin, you read Far Country for us!

FCFP1) Help me plan the next scenario. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP2) Name five as-yet unnamed Clan Omnis. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP3) Choose whether one Great House or Clan suffers either a windfall or a setback of some kind. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP4) Help me write fluff that makes 'Far Country' a canon story in my timeline (if you choose this, I will kill you). Also, bragging rights!
FCFP5) Poptarts, I'm not doing this for the prize, I'm doing this to inflict Far Country on everyone. Also, bragging rights!

AJ_Impy, as our runner up and to commend your work (and absolutely not because I want to encourage other people to enter future contests), you win a lesser prize!

FCSP1) Select a weight- and era- appropriate 'Mech for the next scenario. Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!
FCSP2) Name two as-yet unnamed Clan Omnis (Bobbin Threadbare potentially gets first pick). Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!
FCSP3) Pick the first Lostech weapon that ComStar panics and passes back to the Successor States (from a limited list). Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!

Last, but certainly not least, ZeeToo takes third place!

FCTP1) Name an as-yet unnamed Clan Omnimech (AJ_Impy and Bobbin Threadbare potentially get first pick)!
FCTP2) Pick an (appropriate) atmospheric condition to help or hinder both sides in the next mission!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 19, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
FCTP2!

IIRC TacOps has rules for raining frogs.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think I was supposed to be shocked and awed like the Iraqi army when the Clanners showed up
Bear in mind that the Iraqi army has seen Arnie movies. When the coalition forces finally turned up they were just happy they could even SEE the enemy.

<REDACTED> may also be a smidge less awesome in the current rules, with a shift as to how certain things were handled. Their ability do dish out damage is comparatively less spectacular to what it once was.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

FCTP2) Pick an (appropriate) atmospheric condition to help or hinder both sides in the next mission!

TORNAAAADOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

This is the only acceptable option.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Impy could get the IS some lostech early? :aaaaa:

And ZeeToo, I deny your bragging rights for having shamed Muppet Babies. :argh:
(You should pick the atmospheric condition though. Maybe you could set the entire atmosphere of the planet on fire, like in Battlefield Earth. That'd be appropriately Far Country-ish.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Zaodai posted:

Impy could get the IS some lostech early? :aaaaa:

Absolutely this should be the Gauss Rifle. :black101:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I would find it terribly amusing if PTN decided that the black rectangles were actually orbital bombardment. Yeah, a "star" of naval PPC would make all the redacted talk much more appropriate.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

it is really a bitch to fight in.

WarLocke posted:

I did not know love before i knew of the noble guass rifle :patriot:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

It depends on what exactly is on the list. Guass Rifles are nice, but I wouldn't mind having some Targeting Computers or C3 units if they count (though they may just be "Stuff that never existed yet). But you could still pick up something like Double Heatsinks which are definitely lostech and would make energy dependent mechs universally more powerful across the sphere, where as Guass Rifles would really only help heavier mechs that had the space and tonnage to haul them.

[EDIT] Or AMS. Where are your no-minimum-range LRMs now, bitches?!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Maybe you could set the entire atmosphere of the planet on fire, like in Battlefield Earth. That'd be appropriately Far Country-ish.)

Flammable Atmosphere is actually a thing. There're rules for it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PoptartsNinja posted:

How would a planet even have a flammable atmosphere for longer than, maybe a day at most, like 4 hours normally? Seriously, a spark anywhere on the entire planet would light the sky on fire.*

*Which is epic as all heck

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

ZeeToo, make it happen. Baby Kermit is counting on you to redeem his reputation.

PTN, any chance we can get a list of the lostech items that Impy could potentially choose from if he chose that as his prize? I was looking for a list of stuff online that was officially lostech but couldn't find one, and I feel like there's something better than DHS/AMS/Gauss Rifles that I'm missing (like Target Comps and C3 units that I couldn't remember if they were "lost" or not).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Definitely taking FCTP2. I have PMs, so if you let me know the basic outline for what's going on, I'll pick from there. Or if there's some better way to arrange it, let me know that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
These contest prizes are awesome. Lets see what we got.

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, for bragging rights (and a prize, I guess), the contest winner is Bobbin Threadbare! Congratulations, Bobbin, you read Far Country for us!

FCFP1) Help me plan the next scenario. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP2) Name five as-yet unnamed Clan Omnis. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP3) Choose whether one Great House or Clan suffers either a windfall or a setback of some kind. Also, bragging rights!
FCFP4) Help me write fluff that makes 'Far Country' a canon story in my timeline (if you choose this, I will kill you). Also, bragging rights!
FCFP5) Poptarts, I'm not doing this for the prize, I'm doing this to inflict Far Country on everyone. Also, bragging rights!

These are all cool picks, I eagerly await whatever Bobbin chooses.

PoptartsNinja posted:

AJ_Impy, as our runner up and to commend your work (and absolutely not because I want to encourage other people to enter future contests), you win a lesser prize!

FCSP1) Select a weight- and era- appropriate 'Mech for the next scenario. Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!
FCSP2) Name two as-yet unnamed Clan Omnis (Bobbin Threadbare potentially gets first pick). Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!
FCSP3) Pick the first Lostech weapon that ComStar panics and passes back to the Successor States (from a limited list). Also, slightly reduced bragging rights!

FCSP1) If you want to help the clans, just about all the heavy/assault omnis are good. If you want to help the IS then King Crabs (KGC-000b would be best) would be pretty funny to use.
FCSP3) Do double heat sinks count?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Last, but certainly not least, ZeeToo takes third place!

FCTP1) Name an as-yet unnamed Clan Omnimech (AJ_Impy and Bobbin Threadbare potentially get first pick)!

FCTP2) The people asking for tornados are silly. What you actually want is a firestorm (tornado + flammable atmosphere).

• Locked thread