Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Osteons don't particularly care if you shoot them in the head.

Can the Sins do a chestburster impression instead?

Out of interest is there a 'canon' version of the Legion mechs? Are they based on one of the Archangel series or are they a custom creation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Just for my mental image I too have been wondering what the closest is to the Legion mechs and the Sins.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Out of interest is there a 'canon' version of the Legion mechs? Are they based on one of the Archangel series or are they a custom creation?

They are a bigger Gestalt

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I’m going to go for the legs of the injured osteon. Hopefully I can snap them right off and then peel out the pilot next round.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Question: If I go to 2525 and kick the Osteon again it's on the punch table and I could take out the head, but those mechs seat the pilot in the CT? I'll probably do that anyway. Actually I think I can make it to 2625 with enough MP to keep it in a kickable facing and a better defensive move mod.

e: Bleh not enough heat for tsm and I'm down to 4/6. I guess I can jump there.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Affi posted:

I’m going to go for the legs of the injured osteon. Hopefully I can snap them right off and then peel out the pilot next round.

This is actually the best plan for the battle armor guys tbh.

Leg attacks deal some damage to the legs, but have a forced leg crit, and leg crits can be extremely potent against mediocre pilots because pretty much all of them force PSRs.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

MJ12 posted:

This is actually the best plan for the battle armor guys tbh.

Leg attacks deal some damage to the legs, but have a forced leg crit, and leg crits can be extremely potent against mediocre pilots because pretty much all of them force PSRs.

Exactly. The Society are poo poo pilots, so the more piloting rolls you force them to take, the more often they are gonna fall on their rear end and injure themselves, and a Battlemech that has to waste time and MP picking itself up off the ground is a Battlemech that is far less threatening.

Also, standing up itself requires a piloting check, so you can have instances of a terrible pilot repeatedly trying to pick himself up off the dirt, only to faceplant repeatedly until they knock themselves unconscious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A reminder of the two types of attacks BA can do now that we've got a couple on the field:
PTN mentioned that the SIN has a Vibro-claw, so it does an additional +1 damage when swarm attacking or leg attacking.

Leg Attacks!
If your BA ends it's movement in the same hex as an enemy mech, you can make a Leg attack. You roll using the anti-mech skill (3), in addition to the target's normal move mod.
If you hit, it's 4(+1) damage to a leg, and a guaranteed roll for a critical hit. If you roll an 8+, then the leg eats crit(s) according to the crit table.
If your 4 damage hits structure or breaches armor, then the leg rolls for crits twice!
You don't mount the mech when doing a leg attack though, so when it moves you'll have to catch up.

The other thing you can do is a
Swarm Attack
Swarm attacks use the same anti-mech roll, but with an additional +2 needed for success. If you make the roll, you don't do any damage on that turn, but you do climb up on the mech.
On the following turns you can do a guaranteed 2(+1) damage every turn, as well as forcing a roll for crits. So it might take a while, but eventually you will kill the mech if it is unable to shake you off.

Here's where the real fun comes in: The unit being swarmed can attempt to use it's arms to dislodge you, but with a +4 penalty. It can make one attempt per arm that didn't fire weapons, and uses any additional modifiers it might have when performing punch attacks (so like if it has no hands it suffers additional penalties).
If it makes the roll, then you get dislodged, and take damage as if you got punched by the mech. But in the far more likely situation where it fails the roll to dislodge you, the mech literally punches itself, potentially multiple times, in the front, which has a 1/6 chance of hitting the head.

It can also try jumping to shake you off (similar +4 penalty on a PSR), or purposefully throw itself on the ground (and take damage as if it fell naturally).

Lastly, when you shoot something being swarmed, there's a1/3 chance that you'll hit the swarming BA instead of the mech it's on, in which case all the damage from your attack is applied to the BA unit first before continuing on to hit the mech. So, uh, friendly fire could be a thing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Osteons have protected actuators, so it's a little harder to hit them than normal, giving you +1 to hit on them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Gwaihir posted:

A reminder of the two types of attacks BA can do now that we've got a couple on the field:
PTN mentioned that the SIN has a Vibro-claw, so it does an additional +1 damage when swarm attacking or leg attacking.

Awwwww..... not using the MechAssault rules? ;) glances at PTN

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

The Osteons have protected actuators, so it's a little harder to hit them than normal, giving you +1 to hit on them.

I'll have to double-check the BMM, Protected Actuators may only give a penalty to the crit roll for leg attacks now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I should probably swarm Rusev over there. It just seems right

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also, because RWR cyborgs in power armor are so loving terrifying, you guys swarm like an entire squad of elementals.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Have I sent my orders yet? Ugh.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Orders in:

Movement:

- Jump 3 to 1211

Combat:

- Swarm attack on The Mech in 1211 (Rusev?)

Future plans:

- Climb into his cockpit, murder him, and use his mech to shoot his friends (but since that's probably not possible, hope he punches himself to death)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You'd need a neurohelmet codebreaker and somewhere between 120 and 360 turns of waiting. But it's not ENTIRELY impossible.

It does explain why people usually just weld a new head on instead, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

You'd need a neurohelmet codebreaker and somewhere between 120 and 360 turns of waiting. But it's not ENTIRELY impossible.

Didn't the Clans operate on a shittier system for trying to lock out their stuff, though? Because Mechs were basically communal property and even your enemies taking your poo poo was part of their whole stupid system? I'm not saying it should necessarily work in this case (especially since the Legion pilots use a neural interface directly instead of the helmet), only that I vaguely recall in the books that the Clans had basically no security at all keeping you from stealing their rides.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kind of a shame because a terrifying hell robot ripping a guy out of his mech to get a new ride would be awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Didn't the Clans operate on a shittier system for trying to lock out their stuff, though? Because Mechs were basically communal property and even your enemies taking your poo poo was part of their whole stupid system? I'm not saying it should necessarily work in this case (especially since the Legion pilots use a neural interface directly instead of the helmet), only that I vaguely recall in the books that the Clans had basically no security at all keeping you from stealing their rides.

The neurohelmet codebreaker isn't to crack the passcode, it's to remodulate the system on the fly to match the new pilot's brainwaves. Otherwise you risk neural trauma.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The neurohelmet codebreaker isn't to crack the passcode, it's to remodulate the system on the fly to match the new pilot's brainwaves. Otherwise you risk neural trauma.

Counterpoint: rule of cool

Edit: Hey PTN can I climb into Rusev's cockpit, knife him, throw his bleeding body out of the mech, and then shoot his teammates with his mech?

Follow up: will the roll for that be harder than a 9?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 8, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On the other hand, the Clan systems just take little cards that match a mech to the new pilot, and since the NRWR knows about Clan tech it's possible they'd be able to emulate the tech. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mezzanon posted:

Counterpoint: rule of cool

People's brains exploding out of their eye holes is very cool

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

People's brains exploding out of their eye holes is very cool

I feel like we can all agree on this point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I wonder if the Legionnaires' Buffered Direct Neural Interface and Pain Shunt implants could facilitate stealing a new ride; just yank out the old neurohelmet and plug the wires into your DNI slots.

I mean, if I was PTN, I'd allow it under Rule of Cool, maybe by saying "okay, you can do it, but you lose your immunity to pilot hits and if your new ride gets popped you don't come back out in your battle armor; also you get a slight penalty to piloting and gunnery skills because you're using unfamiliar and not-entirely-compatible equipment." So... it's probably a good thing I'm not PTN.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hey for anyone who does BT minis, does a glossy or matte clear sealer look better?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Matte looks better, clear seals harder. Coat with clear, then matte. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wonder if the Legionnaires' Buffered Direct Neural Interface and Pain Shunt implants could facilitate stealing a new ride; just yank out the old neurohelmet and plug the wires into your DNI slots.

I mean, if I was PTN, I'd allow it under Rule of Cool, maybe by saying "okay, you can do it, but you lose your immunity to pilot hits and if your new ride gets popped you don't come back out in your battle armor; also you get a slight penalty to piloting and gunnery skills because you're using unfamiliar and not-entirely-compatible equipment." So... it's probably a good thing I'm not PTN.

First you'd have to get around the fact that you're trying to cram a 2 ton suit of power armor with claws for hands into a compartment that barely fits a 200 pound gorilla and then expecting it to fiddle with the controls meant for said 200 pound gorilla..

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 9, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cut out the original seat

Replace with this hot new upgrade for the Sin Armor

For that special cyborg psychopath in your life

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

dis astranagant posted:

First you'd have to get around the fact that you're trying to cram a 2 ton suit of power armor with claws for hands into a compartment that barely fits a 200 pound gorilla and then expecting it to fiddle with the controls meant for said 200 pound gorilla..

I'm not seeing how this impacts the rule of cool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stravag posted:

Hey for anyone who does BT minis, does a glossy or matte clear sealer look better?

You can use both. Do a coat of gloss (because it's much more durable), then once that's dry (and you've done any final washes you want) do a matte finish.'

Edit: Just in case there's confusion, the infantry can't stop you from killing all of them if the 'Mechs are all dead. Just saying.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 9, 2018

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Shoot the mechs!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Tactical skidding action! Trading 4 MP for... four extra hexes of movement.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Guess that means the pot shots at the hovertank didn't kill it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, poo poo. I think I forgot to submit orders, argh, today is wednesday...

e. Yuup I did, sorry crew, I have no good excuse I just didn't think about it yesterday.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 9, 2018

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, poo poo. I think I forgot to submit orders, argh, today is wednesday...

e. Yuup I did, sorry crew, I have no good excuse I just didn't think about it yesterday.
Might as well try and submit them now, PTN might not have gotten to the point of no return yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Might as well try and submit them now, PTN might not have gotten to the point of no return yet.

Combat dice have been rolled. It's no big, Legion 6 is in a safe spot and most people pulled back this turn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah if you're moving that tank, the combat stuff is over. Fair enough.

For the record, I was gonna jump to 2412 facing 2313 and shoot PPC and 2x AP Gauss at 1611.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rabbit Warren Update 11

“There’s something strange about this,” Pete Fisher brought his Legion to a stop. “If the enemy has some sort of underground ferry system, they could have simply evacuated with it and collapsed the tunnel behind them. We’d never have known how they escaped, only that they’d abandoned the base entirely.”

Pete loved puzzles of all sorts. Physical ones, intellectual ones, they were all the same to him. This one didn’t make sense. Even with the Legion deploying immediately, it had still taken hours to reach the mine. That was enough time for an evacuation—the small fry could’ve occupied them for a while while key personnel and research was removed. So why hadn’t the Society done it?

“They underestimated us, that’s all.” Came Syd’s immediate answer. “They thought we’d be easy prey.”

Pete shook his head. It couldn’t be that simple. “I don’t like to assume our enemy is less intelligent than we are. We’ve lost three BattleMechs and—” he blinked in sudden revelation, “they’ve lost nothing of long-term value. They’re collecting combat data. Ours, their own small fry, everything. They’re iterating.”

“I think you mean ‘irritating,’” Syd growled. “You’re getting there yourself.”

“No,” Pete pressed. “They’re studying us—like we’re test subjects. Watching what we do, how we do it, and learning what it takes to break us. This is bad—we need to win quickly or leave.”

Shooting Phase
Sin #1 (Player)
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Thunderbolt IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 2): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (25/28 armor remaining)!

Legion #2 (Player)
- Fires rHeavy PPC at SM1 Tank Destroyer (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 cybernetics = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at SM1 Tank Destroyer: automatic miss!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at SM1 Tank Destroyer: automatic miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Legion #3 (Player)
- Fires rHeavy PPC at Clan MPP #3 (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heat - 1 cybernetics = 4): rolled 6, hit! 2 troopers killed!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Clan MPP #3 (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heat - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 8, hit! 2 troopers killed!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Clan MPP #3 (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heat - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 4, hit! 4 troopers killed! Clan MPP #3 destroyed!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Sin #4 (Player)
- Attacks the Osteon D’s legs (3 base + 0 surviving troopers + 2 enemy movement + 1 protected actuators = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (7/36 structure remaining)! Crit! Crit!

Legion #5 (Player)
- Thunderbolt IIC declines Line of Sight!
- Fires rHeavy PPC at Mithras #10 (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 4): rolled 6, hit Front (0/16 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #6 (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Sin #7 (Player)
- Initiates a Swarm Attack on Thunderbolt IIC (3 base + 2 surviving troopers + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, swarm attack successful!

Legion #8 (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Fires rHeavy PPC at SM1 Tank Destroyer (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 EMP - 1 cybernetics = 12): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Legion #9 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Thunderbolt IIC (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (13/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Thunderbolt IIC (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (19/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light PPC at Thunderbolt IIC (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 7): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (17/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #10 (Player)
- No Line of Sight to Osteon D!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #11 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Osteon D (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 5): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (31/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Osteon D (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 5): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (15/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light PPC at Osteon D (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 cybernetics = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #12 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Mithras #9 (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 3): rolled 6, hit Front (0/16 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Tank destroyed!
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Mithras #9 (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 3): rolled 4, hit Front!
- Fires Light PPC at Mithras #9 (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24!

Osteon C
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 22!

Osteon D
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2725!!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Legion #11 (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Legion #11 (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (16/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Legion #11 (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (16/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

SM1 Tank Destroyer
- Holds fire!

Mithras #9
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legion #12 (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (11/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Legion #12 (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (9/24 armor remaining)!

Mithras #10
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legion #5 (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!

Hellstar 2
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 50!

Thunderbolt IIC #1
- Fires ER PPC at Legion #9 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Legion #9 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 32!

Highlander IIC
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

King Cobra
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Osteon D
- Critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 5, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Legion #11 (Player)
- Kicks Osteon D (3 base + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/24 armor, 29/36 structure remaining)! Crit!

End Phase:
Osteon D
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 kicked = 6): rolled 10, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
SM1 Tank Destroyer
- Must pass a driving test to avoid skidding (6 base - 1 distance = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!
- Must pass a driving test to avoid skidding (6 base + 0 distance = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!
- Must pass a driving test to avoid skidding (6 base + 2 distance = 8): rolled 7, fails! Unit skids into hex 1635!

Upper Level
Lower Ground Floor

Unless otherwise stated, all buildings are Heavy and rise 2 hexes above the underlying terrain

PTN’s Note: This should make things easier.

Player Status:

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Cybernetic Implants The Legion is equipped with the Pain Shunt, Dermal Myomer Armor, Triple-Strength Myomer, Stimulant Injector, and Buffered Direct Neural Interface implants. As such they are immune to pilot hits, and when forced to eject their Sin BattleArmor count as a full squad for the purposes of Swarm and Leg attacks and deal one additional point of damage while making a swarm or leg attack.

Primary Objectives
- Kill Everyone and Everything (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Prevent the Enemy Land Train from Escaping (Complete!)
- Prevent the Society from finishing the Turkina Z’s Repairs (Complete!)
- Win before Turn 15 (4 turns remaining)!

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2018

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Physical Combat Phase:
Legion #11 (Player)
- Kicks Osteon D (3 base + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/24 armor, 29/36 structure remaining)! Crit!

What happened with this crit chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I smell Society shenanigans incoming.

• Locked thread