Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The Merry Marauder posted:

Oh, don't worry, Bowman, I'm just waiting for you to take some damage so I can blame everything that goes wrong in the Lyran Commonwealth on you personally.

I did mention that I had my coolant replaced with Mad Dog 20/20, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

TildeATH posted:

I did mention that I had my coolant replaced with Mad Dog 20/20, right?

Indeed, I see you have 20/20 vision there, Zealous.

There's an aerospace fighter called the Thunderbird; in the grim darkness of 31st century space warfare, the only coolant is bum-wine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Leperflesh posted:

I really like the dots. Much easier to read than the old maps. You could probably even get away with not putting up the white text for where mechs used to be, since the dots show the origin pretty well.

Looking at the key (which is excellent because it tells me which friendly mech is which, something that's also been occasionally hard to figure out), I think the enemy color is just a bit too close to the H3's colors; I'd suggest using something else (maybe orange?).

Yeah, I like this new movement system a lot. Shows where everything moved and gives a handy key for what each unit is as well. I agree, with the dots, you might not even need the afterimages to show original positions.

As for the update itself, two turns to destroy the statue should give you guys plenty of time. Pretty sure most of you would be in range of it right now and have decent to hit numbers, going off of what others are saying here in thread. I'm not familiar at all with BattleTech firing rules, so I guess I'll believe those who are more versed in them than me. That statue should explode in one hit, barring any secret Atlas hidden in the statue, right?

Also, the Assassin almost inadvertently landing on the Javelin was hilarious. Being unable to contact each other fluffwise has its disadvantages, eh? Provided that wasn't just flavor text that PTN cooked up for this turn.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Right, just got to the most annoying level yet in Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries. Even more annoying than the one I couldn't finish because of a bug. Namely one that lets you win it, yet the next mission has you inexplicably captured. At least it was by worthy opponents (hint hint the Clans) but why can't I live out my life as a bondsman now, huh? :(

Anyhow, not seeing anything wrong with firing at the statue aside from the odd cover here and there.

Edit: Actually I got in the business because it had giant mechs and PPCs and helicopters that don't get used too often.

Or more accurately I got into it because my former commander died and left me in charge. How was I supposed to know it'd make me filthy rich in the meantime?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 26, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

At least it was by worthy opponents (hint hint the Clans) but why can't I live out my life as a bondsman now, huh? :(

Because you got into this business for the money, dumbass, and the Clans pay you in bar dollars with an expiration date.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know it's from the last page, but I was thinking about the Hoplite:

It's a fantastic mech for holding territory. Look at the vehicles counter-insurgency units favor: heavily armored, with functional but relatively minimal weapons. The Hoplite can walk through the worst of anything that an asymmetrical resistance can throw at it, then obliterate anything from infantry to light vehicles with one shot from its AC/10. It can also launch indirect missile strikes at targets called in by ground forces. It doesn't matter that it's only an LRM 5 if you're shooting at a pickup truck or a tent.

Basically the only thing it's lacking in this regard is a machine gun array, but if it's supposed to be a resilient machine then that would be a terrible idea in bizarro BT world.

I know this is crazy, but has anyone ever considered mounting the machine guns and ammo outside the armor? I know, I know, ammo boxes and belt feeding are lostech.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this is crazy, but has anyone ever considered mounting the machine guns and ammo outside the armor? I know, I know, ammo boxes and belt feeding are lostech.

But if they did that, how would we see spectacular and improbable death from a million bullets cooking off? :confused:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Arglebargle III posted:

I know it's from the last page, but I was thinking about the Hoplite:

It's a fantastic mech for holding territory. Look at the vehicles counter-insurgency units favor: heavily armored, with functional but relatively minimal weapons. The Hoplite can walk through the worst of anything that an asymmetrical resistance can throw at it, then obliterate anything from infantry to light vehicles with one shot from its AC/10. It can also launch indirect missile strikes at targets called in by ground forces. It doesn't matter that it's only an LRM 5 if you're shooting at a pickup truck or a tent.

Basically the only thing it's lacking in this regard is a machine gun array, but if it's supposed to be a resilient machine then that would be a terrible idea in bizarro BT world.

No, LMGs (the infantry-carried kind) aren't Lostech IIRC, but apparently running a string to the trigger is.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this is crazy, but has anyone ever considered mounting the machine guns and ammo outside the armor?
So instead of putting it behind some armour, you prefer the ammo completely unprotected? It'd still blow the mech in half if it exploded.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xmas Future posted:

So instead of putting it behind some armour, you prefer the ammo completely unprotected? It'd still blow the mech in half if it exploded.

If only we could somehow weaponize ammunition loads and skip the "shooting" middleman. Like some sort of fuel-air ammunition bomb.

I just stumbled onto the description of another Clan invention, didn't I?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If only we could somehow weaponize ammunition loads and skip the "shooting" middleman. Like some sort of fuel-air ammunition bomb.

I just stumbled onto the description of another Clan invention, didn't I?

Weeeel, the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle pretty much goes "gently caress it, let's fire ALL of our Gauss Rifle ammo at once!"

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Weeeel, the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle pretty much goes "gently caress it, let's fire ALL of our Gauss Rifle ammo at once!"

What they need to do is make a gauss rifle that fires <REDACTED>.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

elitebuster posted:

They did. NGauss have an "Away Boarders!" setting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

What they really need is a Gauss Rifle that fires one-ton tins of machine gun ammo.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chronojam posted:

What they really need is a Gauss Rifle that fires one-ton tins of machine gun ammo.

You could even settle for half ton tins, and the tins would be on fire.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Chronojam posted:

The one weapon that would make the /20 series of ACs look like potato guns...just make sure you don't miss. At one shot per critical slot, you CAN'T afford a miss.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You could even settle for half ton tins, and the tins would be on fire.

Now I'm imagining a Catapult with catapults on each shoulder, catapulting flaming boxes of MG ammo.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Now I'm imagining a Catapult with catapults on each shoulder, catapulting flaming boxes of MG ammo.

We now need art of this.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

elitebuster posted:

It's called a Fire Moth. It's a Mech with MASC that REDACTED can cling to the side of. Almost as fast as a gauss rifle, but much more terrifying, because you can see it coming. Fire Moth, the unofficial Clan Ghost Bear totem mech, because they use it so drat much.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Imagine the ammo explosions you could have!

"I'm carrying 8 tons of MG ammo in boxes that are pre smeared in Napalm! They have inferno rounds! OHH SHHHITTTT"

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

elitebuster posted:

We now need art of this.

Ask and ye shall receive :smugdog:

Click for big!

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 27, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Imagine the ammo explosions you could have!

"I'm carrying 8 tons of MG ammo in boxes that are pre smeared in Napalm! They have inferno rounds! OHH SHHHITTTT"
This will be the end result:
http://www.maniacworld.com/Tsar-Nuclear-Explosion.jpg
(I wish I had platinum...then I could actually post images instead of links to images. Maybe in the near future I'll decide to fork over another :10bux:)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The Casualty posted:

Click for big!

It's the <REDACTED> that really sells it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xmas Future posted:

Explosions don't work that way. I thought the parallel with CASE was obvious but I guess it's not. CASE directs the explosion out of the mech by venting it semi-safely through big holes. Put the explosion outside the mech and it's pre-vented!

(har har har)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

There's rules for hand-carried weapons, which are probably what you're looking for. If you have a mech with two working hands and no weapons in the arms, you can carry 10% of its weight in guns. So a 50 ton mech could carry a 5 ton weapon, which could be, say, 1.5 tons of armor, 6 machine guns (limit of 6 guns in any handheld IIRC), and half a ton of ammo.

I don't recall off the top of my head how many mechs had no real guns in their arms though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Casualty posted:

Click for big!

It looks so happy to be kicking the <REDACTED>

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Chronojam posted:

It looks so happy to be kicking the <REDACTED>

To be fair I think we all get a little chuckle out of seeing those bastards meet untimely ends.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

MJ12 posted:

There's rules for hand-carried weapons, which are probably what you're looking for. If you have a mech with two working hands and no weapons in the arms, you can carry 10% of its weight in guns. So a 50 ton mech could carry a 5 ton weapon, which could be, say, 1.5 tons of armor, 6 machine guns (limit of 6 guns in any handheld IIRC), and half a ton of ammo.

I don't recall off the top of my head how many mechs had no real guns in their arms though.

Hand weapons are good for Rocket Launchers and little else.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The new map format is excellent. You could definately leave the starting positions off. I love the key and the movement dots. Massive improvement!

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
I guess with that time limit we must strike quickly my brothers (and possibly sisters, who knows)! Destroy the statue of the wretched Duke.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation Himinbjörg: Tactical Update 4

Current Weather Conditions:
Heavy Fog: All hexes cost 2 additional mp to enter (does not apply to jumping ‘Mechs), all energy-weapon attacks suffer a +1 penalty to hit.
Full Moon Night: All weapon attacks suffer a +2 penalty to hit, this penalty is reduced against targets over 20 heat.

Movement Phase

Combat Phase:
H1 Valkyrie fires Medium Laser at statue (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 2 light woods + 2 full moon night + 1 fog - 4 immobile target = 10): rolled 10, hit! Statue destroyed!
H1 Valkyrie gains 8 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

H2 Commando holds fire!
H2 Commando gains 2 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

H3 Assassin has no target!
H3 Assassin gains 7 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

H4 Javelin has no target!
H4 Javelin gains 6 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
None!

End Phase:

Snow would’ve been disturbed if he’d been in a position to see Rain’s insane grin. She also wouldn’t have cared one whit for his discomfort. The ex-Lohengrin, ex-Loki operative simply bracketed the statue of Duke Aldo Lestrade III in her crosshairs and let the loud ‘crack’ of her medium laser show the Duke her displeasure. The grandiose and overwrought marble statue simply exploded as her medium laser flash-heated the water locked within the stone.

“Excellent—they would’ve heard that shot all the way to the Palace,” the Voice said. The Voice was all that mattered—she’d been conditioned to obey the Voice without thought or question; and had been discarded when a sudden crisis of… not conscience, but memory had kept her from murdering Colonel Morgan Kell—who, for a brief instant, had reminded her of the father she’d lost so long ago. He’d saved her—nearly adopted her—and grieved when she’d rejected his offer to join the Kell Hounds. The Lyran Commonwealth needed her, and she could not let the Commonwealth down.

“Expect their light elements and patrols to investigate first. Your new objective is to make this raid look convincing. Cause at least sixty-three million nine-hundred thousand Kroner in property damage to Industrial or Commercial buildings; or to the Enemy.”

She nodded silently, watched the two loyalist Stingers on thermals. Magscan was nearly useless in a city like Tharkad, and Thermals were almost as bad. There was so much background noise that only the bright corona of the Stingers’ jump jets revealed them clearly.

Her grin widened. She had a new Voice now, and the voice said those Stingers had to die.

Enemy Forces:
S1 STG-3G Stinger: Jumps 6 to 1210!
S2 STG-3G Stinger: Jumps 5 to 1312!
S3 Scorpion Light Tank: Flanks 1 to 1506!
S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank: Cruises 2 to 1207!

Mission Objectives
Destroy the Statue of Duke Lestrade (hex 1214) to draw LOKI away from the Heavy Snow Nightclub! (Complete!)
Heavy Snow Nightclub (green) Building Must Not Take Damage!
Avoid damaging residential (blue) buildings! (0/20,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained)
Cause Property Damage to Commercial and Industrial (red) buildings or enemy units! (0/30,000,000 c-bills in damage caused)
Await Further Objectives!

H1 VLK-QA Valkyrie
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
RA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
LL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
RL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 11
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Rain
Mechwarrior Player: Dominus Caedis
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H2 COM-2D Commando
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
RT A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
RA A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
LL A(S): 8/8 (6/6)
RL A(S): 8/8 (6/6)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: “Sleet”
Mechwarrior Player: Terror Storm
Armament:
SRM 6 – CT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

H3 ASN-21 Assassin
Weight: tons (Class)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
CT A(S): 12/12 (12/12)
RT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
LA A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
RA A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
RL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
Movement: 7/11/7
Mechwarrior Name: Snow
Mechwarrior Player: Capskye
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM 2 – LT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 50, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H4 JVN-10N Javelin
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
CT A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 2/2
RT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
LA A(S): 6/6 (5/5)
RA A(S): 6/6 (5/5)
LL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
RL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior Name: Hail
Mechwarrior Player: TildeATH
Armament:
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 30, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status
S1 STG-3G Stinger
Tonnage: 20 tons
Pilot: Piloting 3, Gunnery 4
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S2 STG-3G Stinger
Tonnage: 20 tons
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S3 Scorpion Light Tank
Tonnage: 25 tons
Pilot: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Armament: Autocannon/5, Machine Gun
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank
Tonnage: 30 tons
Pilot: Driving 3, Gunnery 4
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 Small Lasers
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 28, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Logic dictates that you blow up the horse you rode in on.

Kill the train.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Let's get this show started! Pick your targets well (Unless those targets are industrial buildings, in which case firing indiscriminately works.)

e: Not that it matters with the good roll, but shouldn't the TH have been 10 with the fog and darkness?

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

You know, those round red buildings look a lot like fuel storage tanks. I bet they blow up REALLY pretty.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The pilot in the Valkyrie is ex-Lohengrin and ex-Loki? I wonder if that could be important to either the latter stages of this mission or a future scenario? Or is it just unimportant fluff?

Going on to the mission at hand, the new objective is rather simple, in theory; just blow up stuff. The difficult part is avoiding being shot by the investigating Stinger mechs. Those mechs being called loyalist also intrigues me.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You see those big, red circles next to you? They are probably, most likely, almost certainly, definitely not filled with explosive liquids.

You should jump of top of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Slaan posted:

You see those big, red circles next to you? They are probably, most likely, almost certainly, definitely not filled with explosive liquids.

You should jump of top of them.

The Commando can't jump, though. :(

Guess he'll just have to make some pretty lights with those SRMs and that Medium Laser instead. :3:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Quoted the wrong guy, whoops

Yeah, the tohit was 10. That's what I get for updating my combat page; but not updating the narrative. One sec.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 28, 2011

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I wonder how quickly 30,000,000 C-Bills of damage gets racked up. I have no real reference of how expensive poo poo is other than Mechs are millions apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kill those Stingers as fast as you can! Ideally before their ground-bound support can be brought to bear, so you can kill them piecemeal.

Also, if you can blow up the train you rode in on, secret bonus points.

• Locked thread