Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen, the way forward is clear.

Find a building. Make friends with it. This was ALWAYS a suicide mission. Aim for the big tall ones. Knock out the lower floors and you up the damage done exponentially when the rest comes crashing down.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Things we you know:

The Nightclub is made of the same armored glass that covers 'Mech cockpits. 'Mech cockpits have a maximum armor value of 9.

VVV A light building will simply collapse under the weight of a 'Mech.

I'll bold the important bits.

This means someone can die on this and we're golden. Looking at you H4. Stand next to it and, if you're feeling particularly proud you can DFA the Nightclub.

(Or just, you know, kick it and tag it with something simple.)

Also, blow up the train. I've been saying this since whenever you hit that statue, and PTN hinted a big value bonus. Take a chance on those barrels on your way by and finish off that Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
During that latest part of Let's Read, I mentally had Yakitty Sax playing as I read it. Fitting? I believe so.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Jeremiah Rose... Is an rear end in a top hat. Even his own father said so. And the old man was right.

This doesn't call for "calling the old man out," this calls for "calling the young bastard out."

Seriously. He's lucky - very, very lucky - that the captain didn't space him during that trip. And why, by gently caress, is he staying up so drat long? Most people can't go a full 24 hours without being groggy as hell and utter bitches to be around. Forty hours? When you're seventeen you might be able to go forty hours awake and have enough higher cognitive functions to secure lodging and take off your clothes before sleeping. Maybe.

Clearly, Jeremiah Rose is just an idiotic prick with no patience whatsoever.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Jeremiah Rose... Is an rear end in a top hat. Even his own father said so. And the old man was right.

This doesn't call for "calling the old man out," this calls for "calling the young bastard out."

Seriously. He's lucky - very, very lucky - that the captain didn't space him during that trip. And why, by gently caress, is he staying up so drat long? Most people can't go a full 24 hours without being groggy as hell and utter bitches to be around. Forty hours? When you're seventeen you might be able to go forty hours awake and have enough higher cognitive functions to secure lodging and take off your clothes before sleeping. Maybe.

Clearly, Jeremiah Rose is just an idiotic prick with no patience whatsoever.

:downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs::downs:
I think this is enough for the next, oh, 2-3 chapters.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GET IN THE BUILDINGS at most you take like 5 damage if you fail a psr, not only that, the jagermech doesn't have any guns that can punch through a building, get a hex into the heavy snow nightclub and troll the crap out of it. make sure to die in 1508 or 1607. others, also get in a building and take poo poo out

:black101: DO IT

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Isn't that nightclub packed with people?

You might want to fire, say, a warning shot, and then spend a turn or two loving around waiting for people to evacuate before you blow it up.

I mean, just sayin'.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You might want to fire, say, a warning shot, and then spend a turn or two loving around waiting for people to evacuate before you blow it up.

I mean, just sayin'.

We want to destroy all evidence of our agent's presence at the nightclub. All those people? Potential evidence, unfortunately.

vvvv Not that everyone has to die in there; I think the survivors will be traumatized enough for our purposes if the building goes down in a 'mechsplosion.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 5, 2011

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Notgothic posted:

We want to destroy all evidence of our agent's presence at the nightclub. All those people? Potential evidence, unfortunately.

Leave no witnesses :commissar:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

The Casualty posted:

Somehow, your name and this sentiment seem to match perfectly.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Casualty posted:

I'm not sure what other evidence you could get, aside from maybe a CCTV system?

Imaging DNA test results: "We have traces of semen from 1500 different men. As all samples were from the mens toliets, we theorize this was a gay nightclub"

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

GET IN THE BUILDINGS at most you take like 5 damage if you fail a psr, not only that, the jagermech doesn't have any guns that can punch through a building, get a hex into the heavy snow nightclub and troll the crap out of it. make sure to die in 1508 or 1607. others, also get in a building and take poo poo out

:black101: DO IT

Comedy option: DFA any and all light buildings you can reach.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I mean, just sayin'.

Roger that, firing all missiles at the nightclub.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Just for hilarity's sake, someone should go Leeroy Jenkins on the Von Luckner tank and die in a inglorious fashion.

In seriousness, though, I like ShadowDragon's suggestion.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Most people can't go a full 24 hours without being groggy as hell and utter bitches to be around. Forty hours? When you're seventeen you might be able to go forty hours awake and have enough higher cognitive functions to secure lodging and take off your clothes before sleeping. Maybe.

As someone with experience with this, You can do it fairly easily, and you retain a surprising amount of your faculties, but it is not something you do accidentally, and after 40+ hours, your body will fall asleep if given anything approaching an opportunity, whether you want to or not. I had to bike in circles for two hours to stay awake until I could turn in that goddamn project, because if I had gone to bed, or even looked longingly at a bed, I would not have gotten out for ~12 hours.

In summation: Rose dickhead, book sucks for many reasons. Alternate suggestion: the entire book is a hallucination brought on by sleep deprivation.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

landcollector posted:

Just for hilarity's sake, someone should go Leeroy Jenkins on the Von Luckner tank and die in a inglorious fashion.

In seriousness, though, I like ShadowDragon's suggestion.

It IS worth 3 and a half million C-Bills...

Oh, and 5mil and 5-and-a-quarter mil for the Griffin and Jäger, interesting.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 5, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You know what I imagine would make the Solaris section of that horrible horrible book awesome? Jeremiah Rose getting beaten repeatedly (verbally or in a mech) by Duncan Fisher.

What I'm saying is, we need more Duncan Fisher.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

:ohdear: Those Royal Guard pilots look pretty drat scary, especially since you guys are in Light Mechs... That tank especially looks all sorts of beefy.

I dunno, I think wrecking the nightclub just became your biggest priority... The Javelin is already in position to do so, I guess. It'd probably be a good idea to wreck the place as soon as possible. Maybe plow into it to use it as some sort of cover from the Stinger? You should be able to punch down the rest of the building while you're inside it and if the Stinger nails you, the resulting explosion should effectively destroy the place. Though I guess taking out that Stinger will make this whole thing easier to pull off.

You guys also still got quite a ways to go in order to meet your property damage quotas, though I guess that's not quite that important anymore, maybe. The Commando is in an especially bad spot, taking cover behind some target buildings might be a good idea, causing damage to them in order to meet your goals in the process or something. Dunno what else to say here...

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If we ever decide to take a break and try the Solaris scenario, I hope we get to play or see Duncan Fisher in his prime.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 6)

Chapter 7
Solaris City, Solaris
3 August 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 103
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 2
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 0
Protagonists introduced since book start: 3
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: STILL 0
Chapters Spent on Northwind: 5

This chapter opens with Jeremiah having already spoken to Brachall (and presumably having slept). He is now having a meeting with a Mr. Warwick (who won’t turn out to be a werewolf, I’m afraid). Warwick lives in a big house, and the way Jeremiah words things makes it seem like we’re supposed to hate him for being successful. Jeremiah then ruins this by telling us that he’d immediately started spying on Mr. Warwick to try to learn as much as he could about the person he was going to hire himself out to.

Despite having “only twenty four hours” to learn about Mr. Warwick (I guess Jeremiah still hasn’t slept) and the information being ‘incomplete’; Jeremiah knows pretty much everything there is to know. Warwick also has a bodyguard who is taller than Jeremiah Rose, which immediately throws off Jeremiah’s whole game. Point to Mr. Warwick.

Our hero needs to be ‘bigger’ than everyone in order to feel superior to them.

We then learn that “any other man” would have been awed by this ostentatious mansion and intimidated by Mr. Warwick; but instead Jeremiah Rose finds the whole situation irritating. See? He’s special, he knows what everyone else would do in this situation and rather than doing the same thing he just gets grumpy.

Maybe he should’ve slept before going to a job interview. Just sayin’.

Anyway, Warwick is tiny which immediately makes Jeremiah feel superior enough to snark at him. Honestly, Warwick just strikes me as being like any other Inner Sphere noble: rich, powerful, and a little self-centered; yet not stupid enough to blow his entire fortune on trivial things. The fact that he is slowly winning money on Solaris actually speaks volumes for Mr. Warwick’s abilities; but Jeremiah is convinced the man is a vain, self-important rear end in a top hat.

Pot. Kettle.

Main Event posted:

“If you’ll accompany me, we can begin our dinner. I’m sure you’ll understand if I’m forced to dispense with some of the normal formalities. With the upcoming match, I suddenly find myself in much demand.” […] Rose discovered, with some delight, that he could look over Warwick’s head and still see perfectly.

“I should think you would find that very gratifying,” Rose said, making Warwick stop suddenly and turn toward him.

“I beg your pardon, Mister Rose.”

Jeremiah Rose. Dickhead.

Anyway, we learn that the upcoming championship is a ‘team championship’… probably to keep Kai Allard-Liao from winning for his third (at this point)-straight year in a row.

In typical comedy-fashion, Jeremiah Rose is seated at one end of a mile-long dining room table; with Mr. Warwick at the other. We’re once again supposed to hate Mr. Warwick for this, but really—people who have parties need big tables; and by seating Jeremiah at the other end, Mr. Warwick is granting him some degree of equality rather than putting him into a ‘lesser’ position.

Mr. Warwick then crosses himself and issues a silent pre-dinner prayer. Gee, what an absolute douchebag.

gently caress you, Jeremiah.

Anyway, Mr. Warwick then talks about the benefits of team vs. team duels (first benefit: no Kai Allard-Liao). His reasons make a lot of sense: more action, more betting, and owners can register teams which means they can take out injured or sick Mechwarriors and badly damaged ‘Mechs rather than forcing pilots to fight an enemy while crippled physically or mechanically.

Main Event posted:

“And the pilot, does he win?”

“The pilot? Well, sure, the pilot wins. He’s part of a team and has his lancemates to back him up. Somebody will be there if he makes a mistake.” Warwick smiled triumphantly. It all sounded all right, but Rose had broken in enough rookies to know that real teamwork, the kind that solves more problems than it creates, could take months to develop. […] His opinion of his host, and the power brokers backing this plan, sank to a new low.

:doh:

We then learn that Mr. Warwick has five pilots and five ‘Mechs, but none of his pilots have the ‘spark’… the inner fire intelligence and tactical acumen to lead the team to victory. Rose then immediately insults his future teammates (whom he has yet to meet) by vocally not disagreeing with Mr. Warwick’s assessment. He then does his best to shoot down his own interview.

Mr. Warwick then states that he’s done some information gathering of his own, and has come to the conclusion that Rose is either a wannabe, a pirate, had his service record buried for top-secret hush-hush state reasons, or was a warrior in ComStar.

Mr. Warwick is prepared to give Rose the ‘Mech he pilots in the final match, free and clear. He’s not prepared to divulge the type (it’s a Charger), but he will say that it’s assault-weight (it’s a Charger). Jeremiah Rose immediately rejects this offer.

:doh:

Main Event posted:

“I say no.” Rose stood, forcing the chair out in the same motion. Warwick’s eyes went wide as if the only possible answer to his proposal could’ve been an unqualified yes. Rose wiped the corner of his mouth for emphasis and threw the linen into the chowder. “I haven’t been long on Solaris, Warwick, but I know you. I know men like you. I’m not desperate enough to cast my lot with you, even if you seem to have all the answers. Thanks for the hospitality, but I’ll see myself out now.”

“Rose, don’t be a fool!”

“I may be a fool,” Rose shot back, “but you’re a chopped-off little runt with delusions of grandeur.”

Rose then walks out, leaving Mr. Warwick confused and angry at the insults. Jeremiah then threatens Mr. Warwick’s life on the way out the door.

Then the chapter ends.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So... does the writer genuinely want us to hate this guy or something?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's too EDGY to hate.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've figured it out: this is a story about that rear end in a top hat NPC the heroes run into a couple of times who has been inexplicably lucky and extremely cocky the whole time, right up until he gets curb stomped in the fight he provokes.

Please say I'm right.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Well, he does get curb stomped in a fight he provokes. Sort of. All a day in the life of Jeremiah Rose, Space Chauvinist.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
So there's even a Black Thorns scenario book which sets up all these fight and lets you pew pew through as Rose. According to that he's only 9 years older than his sister so around 27 right now in the story.

On the bright side it's the same sourcebook that introduced the Grendel, Kinfisher, Shadow Cat, and Shootist (what a stupid looking mech) to tabletop.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You said that Rose eventually dies a completely forgettable death 'off camera' to make some other guy look badass, right?

This idea makes me happy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gothsheep posted:

You said that Rose eventually dies a completely forgettable death 'off camera' to make some other guy look badass, right?

Nope, he and the Black Thorns just "vanish" into the aether. One minute, they're stationed on a planet--the next, they're being charged with abandoning their contract (but nobody can find them anywhere).

At the time, they were negotiating with Loren Jaffrey's Northwind Hussars for entry into the Northwind Highlanders; and Jeremiah had already gotten Rianna killed.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

[ He is now having a meeting with a Mr. Warwick (who won’t turn out to be a werewolf, I’m afraid).

If anybody deserves to get ripped asunder by a portly lycanthrope, its Jeremiah Rose.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

And why, by gently caress, is he staying up so drat long? Most people can't go a full 24 hours without being groggy as hell and utter bitches to be around. Forty hours? When you're seventeen you might be able to go forty hours awake and have enough higher cognitive functions to secure lodging and take off your clothes before sleeping. Maybe
With enough caffeine anything is possible.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

With enough caffeine anything is possible.

If by "possible" you mean dead. Caffeine doesn't make up for lost sleep.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've kept running at reasonable speed for about 60 hours by just chugging Red Bull every time I felt a little sleepy. The risk of heart failure was ever increasing and when I decided to stop and the caffeine rush ended it hit me like a train and I just had time to say "I feel drunk" before literally falling over. Good weekend.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

You know, by now, the only thing I regret is that the LP thread is too early for the PCs to face Jeremiah loving Rose in combat.

Maybe the Clans will face the Highlanders and take Cornelius as a Bondsman? I dunno.

At this point, I'm almost ready to say sic the Death Commandos on them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread when people were hassling me about my attitude, I routinely go at least 3 days without sleeping because that's just how my body works.

The only real problems it causes are bad attitude (which you've probably noticed is still an issue even when I'm well rested) and that after a few (3-4) days all your joints ache like crazy and you get a headache. Prior to the 3 day mark, I don't have any problems thinking clearly. After the 3 day mark, it gets progressively harder and I start talking barely coherent jibberish.

So maybe he just has really bad, ever-present insomnia.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If anyone else would like to murder Jeremiah Rose, please feel free to let me know.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with you offing him in this alternate timeline you've created. I'm not quite sure on the timeline, but at the point the LP is currently at, he would still be working for ComStar, yes? If and when we finally get a shot at playing as the Clans, by all means, feel free to grant Mr. Rose his heart's desire. Let him face the Clans in glorious battle. In an Urbanmech.

Dominus Caedis posted:

The Assassin is actually fairly safe if he walks into that giant factory right next to him. It should hold up for quite a while.

Assuming the guys he's fighting don't decide to follow him in.

jng2058 posted:

... there is no bigger Mary Sue in literature today than Honor loving Harrington!

Anita Blake. I've never read any of the Anita Blake books, but I've heard things. Terrible, terrible things.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

W.T. Fits posted:

Anita Blake. I've never read any of the Anita Blake books, but I've heard things. Terrible, terrible things.

I've never read Blake, but Harrington's pretty bad. She's good (or perfect) at EVERYTHING. She's a master diplomat, telepathic, has a telepathic pet, a perfect tactician and strategist, a perfect shot, master swordswoman, beloved by billions, and supremely good at martial arts. About the only thing wrong with her was that she was in love with a married man....which she fixes by getting into a polygamous marriage with the guy and his crippled wife!

In short, I hate her and want her to die.

And its a testament to Weber's writing and my desperation to find good space combat that despite hating the main character, I read the first ten books. At All Costs was the last straw, though, and I haven't been back since.

So naturally, I ended up reading Campbell's Lost Fleet books instead...where the protagonist is so perfect that his only flaw is that he's afraid he's so perfect that he'll end up taking over the galaxy.

:ughh:

Why can't I learn? Does anyone write decent fleet action books without Superman or a cousin on the bridge? Is it really that hard?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jng2058 posted:

Why can't I learn? Does anyone write decent fleet action books without Superman or a cousin on the bridge? Is it really that hard?

If wet navies will work for you, try Weber's Safehold books. The protagonist for them shares some of the same Harrington-like perfection, but it's something of a core plot point that he's superhuman, and most of the time he's just a mysterious smug advisor type.

Edit: Or there's the Starfury (?) books, which are co-written by Weber and Steve White. Looots of fleet actions in those, and the timeline actually moves along in terms of decades, so no single character is really around long enough to become Mary Sue-ish. Crusade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, and Insurrection are all pretty good.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anita Blake, up to book seven or so, isn't so much as a Mary Sue as a moderately competant voodoo priestess who resolves her issues by asking her big manly friends to help when her guns are too small.

After that she's some form of rape fantasy gone horribly public.

Not any better than a Mary Sue, but not the same.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

I've never read Blake, but Harrington's pretty bad. She's good (or perfect) at EVERYTHING. She's a master diplomat, telepathic, has a telepathic pet, a perfect tactician and strategist, a perfect shot, master swordswoman, beloved by billions, and supremely good at martial arts. About the only thing wrong with her was that she was in love with a married man....which she fixes by getting into a polygamous marriage with the guy and his crippled wife!

And its a testament to Weber's writing and my desperation to find good space combat that despite hating the main character, I read the first ten books. At All Costs was the last straw, though, and I haven't been back since.

So naturally, I ended up reading Campbell's Lost Fleet books instead...where the protagonist is so perfect that his only flaw is that he's afraid he's so perfect that he'll end up taking over the galaxy.

The Aubrey–Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian, but those take place at sea in the early 1800's.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

jng2058 posted:

Hey, at least she is bad at math!

And by bad I math I mean she is better than everyone but Carl Sagan.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

jng2058 posted:

Comedy answer: Excession, by Iain M. Banks. No supermen on the bridge in that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Polaron posted:

Comedy answer: Excession, by Iain M. Banks. No supermen on the bridge in that :v:

'Course, that's cause they are the bridge. And loving awesome. I think that drone from the beginning is at least five times smarter than any Sue you care to name.

• Locked thread