Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Still waiting on turn orders from people... I'm going to need a quicker turnaround time, guys (or advanced warning if you can't reply).

Capskye posted:

Pretty sure I sent you my orders already in my last PM. I can double check and send them again if they didn't go through.

Dominus Caedis posted:

I sent mine out on Tuesday and resent again about an hour ago, I can resend again if you still haven't gotten them.

Huh, at least we should be getting an update soon... I guess the end of last mission where all we had to wait for was orders from Muk spoiled me.

I dunno, I also hope we can get a quicker turnaround so we can all see how well the remainder of this mission turns out and what effects it will have on PTN's setting as a whole...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think we can all safely attribute the communication problems the mechwarriors have been having to the savage beating ComStar has been taking in the background. :smug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaodai posted:

I think we can all safely attribute the communication problems the mechwarriors have been having to the savage beating ComStar has been taking in the background. :smug:

Dammit, I knew I forgot to pay something. Somebody write ComStar a check for all that HPG usage so we can get back to it!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OUR HPG BACKBONE :argh:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Testing out megamek viability on the weekend I will be absolutely 100% away? :negative:

Well, I will be around... fairly late Sunday night, I guess. :unsmith:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

GhostStalker posted:

Huh, at least we should be getting an update soon... I guess the end of last mission where all we had to wait for was orders from Muk spoiled me.

I dunno, I also hope we can get a quicker turnaround so we can all see how well the remainder of this mission turns out and what effects it will have on PTN's setting as a whole...

If this was a Grey Hunter LP he'd just make some bullshit excuse about communications breakdown and launch our unordered units into the worst possible situations :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

Testing out megamek viability on the weekend I will be absolutely 100% away? :negative:

Well, I will be around... fairly late Sunday night, I guess. :unsmith:

Your own fault for letting silly real life issues interfere with what is important in life.

Also, you should see what we did to your Lynx :gonk:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Casualty posted:

If this was a Grey Hunter LP he'd just make some bullshit excuse about communications breakdown and launch our unordered units into the worst possible situations :v:

Tempting but too OP since I can either perfectly counter myself, or render the mission absolutely impossible to complete.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Battletech is not really a game you can play both sides meaningfully. Cause it's is entirely about positioning and fire arcs. With alot of random chance thrown in.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

KnoxZone posted:

Also, you should see what we did to your Lynx :gonk:

Oh, yeah... It was horrible, mate. Just... You'll have to see for yourself.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Axe-man posted:

Battletech is not really a game you can play both sides meaningfully. Cause it's is entirely about horrible and hilarious dice rolls screwing you over.

Fixed that for you, Axe. :respek:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation Himinbjörg: Tactical Update 11

Movement Phase

Combat Phase:
H1 Valkyrie holds fire!
H1 Valkyrie gains 1 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

H3 Assassin fires Medium Laser at building hex 1526 (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 full moon night + 1 fog - 4 immobile target = 6): rolled 4, miss!
H3 Assassin fires SRM 2 at building hex 1526 (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 full moon night - 4 immobile target = 5): rolled 5, 2 missiles hit (7/15 structure remains)! 35,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
H3 Assassin gains 11 heat, sinks 10! 11 heat builds up!

H4 Javelin holds fire!
H4 Javelin gains 6 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

S1 Stinger holds fire!
S1 Stinger gains 5 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S2 Stinger holds fire!
S2 Stinger gains 4 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S3 Scorpion Light Tank holds fire!

S4 Galleon Light Tank holds fire!

P1 Locust holds fire!
P1 Locust gains 1 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

P2 Locust holds fire!
P2 Locust gains 1 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

G1 Home Guard Jagermech holds fire!

G2 Home Guard Griffin torso twists right!
G2 Home Guard Griffin fires LRM 10 at H4 Javelin (1 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 fog = 10): rolled 7, miss!
G2 Home Guard Griffin gains 9 heat, sinks 12! 0 heat builds up!

G3 Home Guard Von Luckner holds fire!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
H3 Assassin kicks building hex 1526: automatic hit (0/15 structure remains)! Building hex 1526 collapses! 1,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

End Phase:
Building hexes 1426, 1526 collapse from damage! 1,400,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
G3 Von Luckner Heavy Tank moves recklessly into hex 0525 (2 base + 0 movement + 2 ignores 1 mp penalty = 4): rolled 11, succeeds!

With a vicious kick, Snow brought another building crashing to the ground. His radar cleared as one more obstacle crumbled to bricks and I-Beams, and painted a rather bleak picture for Hail’s Javelin. Isolated and surrounded by loyalist forces, the Javelin would probably be Loki’s next victim. In vain, he swept his sensors for Rain’s little Valkyrie—but it was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps it’d already fallen victim to something unanticipated, or the ex-Loki operative had turned traitor…

Snow drew his weapons in-line with the next building then paused as his little radio crackled again, “Excellent work, ‘Mechwarriors!” the voice called. “Now, destroy all of the Home Guard ‘Mechs!”

He checked his sensors again, then cursed out loud as he was stricken by a sudden sense of doubt. A chill passed through him that was completely at-odds with the spiking temperatures in his Assassin’s cockpit. The Home Guard counter-attack wasn’t unexpected, but they’d arrived a full five minutes ahead of schedule... there would be no call to have them out in the city, rather than protecting palace grounds, unless this attack had been anticipated…

Snow slammed his fist down on the micro-radio, crushing it against the top of his targeting computer. With a flick of another switch, he killed the garbage-transmissions and broadcast a single short transmission on the wide-band.

“Tora! Tora! Tora!”

He cut his communications immediately, going full silent. Tiger, Tiger, Tiger… it had been a code-phrase for their planned attack as Kurita forces. Its origins, he did not know, but he did know it had something to do with a surprise attack. Under the old plan, it was a worst-case scenario call: mission objectives can no longer be trusted. It called for no sudden change of behavior, but to ignore the most recently received order and fight to the end.

He just hoped the others would understand: the Home Guard were staunchly-loyal to the Archon herself; they were Melissa Steiner’s only true allies on Tharkad. Weakening or embarrassing them would hurt them politically and their failure to stop a pack of invaders could see the bulk of the Home Guard replaced by soldiers loyal to Aldo Lestrade! Snow scowled, and closed his eyes as a calm certainty filled him. He and the others would all have to die, and die quickly. This attack would embarrass the LIC; but if the Home Guard response was swift and certain enough…

Enemy Forces:
S1 STG-3G Stinger: jumps 4 to 1605! Floodlight active!
S2 STG-3G Stinger: jumps 4 to 1207! Floodlight active!
S3 Scorpion Light Tank: holds position!
S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank: cruises 1 to hex 0517!
P1 LCT-1E Locust: holds position!
P2LCT-1S Locust: holds position! Floodlight active!
P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter flees off-map!
G1 Home Guard Griffin jumps 5 to hex 1112!
G2 Home Guard Jaegermech holds position!
G3 Home Guard Von Luckner Heavy Tank cruises to hex 0326!
G4 Home Guard Unknown Medium ‘Mech arrives next turn!
G5 Home Guard Unknown Heavy ‘Mech arrives next turn!
G6 Home Guard Unknown Tank arrives next turn!

Mission Objectives
Destroy the Statue of Duke Lestrade (hex 1214) to draw LOKI away from the Heavy Snow Nightclub! (Complete!)
Destroy the Heavy Snow Nightclub (orange) Building! (Complete!)
Await Further Objectives! (Complete!)
Avoid damaging residential (blue) buildings! (0/20,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained)
Cause Property Damage to Commercial and Industrial (red) buildings or enemy units! (15,817,000/30,000,000 c-bills in damage caused)
Destroy all Home Guard ‘Mechs (Failed!)
Avoid damaging any Home Guard ‘Mech (???)
Die before the start of Turn 17! (1/4)

H1 VLK-QA Valkyrie
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 0/12 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 7/12 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 7/9 (5/5)
RA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
LL A(S): 7/12 (7/7)
RL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 11
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Rain
Mechwarrior Player: Dominus Caedis
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 10, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H2 COM-2D Commando
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: “Sleet”
Mechwarrior Player: Terror Storm
Mechwarrior Status: Vaporized in an explosion
Notes: Vaporized in an explosion

H3 ASN-21 Assassin
Weight: tons (Class)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
CT A(S): 10/12 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
LA A(S): 4/6 (6/6)
RA A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
LL A(S): 1/6 (10/10)
RL A(S): 1/6 (10/10)
Heat: 3/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 7/11/7
Mechwarrior Name: Snow
Mechwarrior Player: Capskye
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM 2 – LT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 45, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H4 JVN-10N Javelin
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 4/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
CT A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 2/2
RT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
LA A(S): 1/6 (5/5)
RA A(S): 1/6 (5/5)
LL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
RL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior Name: Hail
Mechwarrior Player: TildeATH
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel Wound (3+ consciousness)!
Armament:
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status
S1 STG-3G Stinger
Tonnage: 20 tons
Pilot: Piloting 3, Gunnery 4
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S2 STG-3G Stinger
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S3 Scorpion Light Tank
Tonnage: 25 tons
Pilot: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Armament: Autocannon/5, Machine Gun
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank
Tonnage: 30 tons
Pilot: Driving 3, Gunnery 4
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 Small Lasers
Motive System Damage: +1 penalty on all driving skill rolls!
Notes:

P1 LCT-1E Locust
Armament: 1 Medium Lasers, 1 Small Lasers
Notes:

P2LCT-1S Locust
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2s
Notes:

P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter
Notes: Fled off-map!

G1GRF-1N Griffin
Tonnage: 55 tons
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: PPC, LRM 10
Notes:

G2 JM6-S Jagermech
Tonnage: 65 tons
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: 2 Autocannon/2s, 2 Autocannon/5s, 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

G3 VNL-K65N Von Luckner Heavy Tank
Tonnage: 75 tons
Pilot: Driving 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: Autocannon/20, 2 SRM 6s, SRM 4, LRM 10, Machine Gun, Flamer
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

G4 ???

G5 ???

G6 ???

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 28, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress.

:golfclap: Well this certainly came out of left field for me. What the hell happened? Did Loki infiltrate the group the Goon team is in?

Oh god. Poptartsninja, drat you to hell.

:allears: I can't wait for the next turn, and I love how this story is turning out.

I wonder if the 30 million C-bill property damage is still viable now?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
So, the primary objective now is to stand in front of a Home Guard unit and let them kill you (while continuing to blow up buildings)? A very strange, yet delightful, change of pace. I must say, PTN, I was not expecting that.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, oh wow.

Okay, time for the Valk to go :happyelf: with the refinery. The Assassin cna still wreck the train and suicide in tiem, I guess. And the Javelin... I'm still saying you should get to that skyscraper and collapse it on yourself. Jumping into 0613 should keep you out of harms way for the turn and allow you to wade into the building in the next one. (You can start wrecking the place with your missiles this turn, too.)

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
How do jumpjets and building levels interact? Can I clear the height 5 building in 1028 with 5 Jump?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
best objectives

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Ahahahaha okay that is a great twist. I can hardly wait to see the next political vote and find out how things are playing.

Also, I gotta ask - Dominus, WTF are you doing? This is a suicide mission, and you're surrounded on all sides by high explosive fuel and fragile target buildings. What's the logic in standing completely still and doing nothing? That seems like the least possibly useful thing to do in this situation to me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is it too late for the suicide jump out of the refinery? Now it's both awesome and objective-fufilling!

(Unless G1 moves into the blast. :saddowns:)

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, it's all about whether that Griffin decides to get too close to a building filled with chunky salsa and a suicidal Mechwarrior. Good thing that there's no provision against damaging that tank in the ensuing explosion.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 14, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good news, everyone! I have finally discovered a means to record MegaMek (meaning: I finally spent the ten minutes or so to find a program that lets me film a portion of my desktop).

Also good news, Clan Widowmaker Cadet Tanay was killed in a trial of position (by bots, of all things) so that's one three less Widowmaker red-shirts you'll have to kill later.

I may go ahead and pretty up my test video with commentary and/or music and post it later, but this is a sign of good things to come.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Tempest_56 posted:

Ahahahaha okay that is a great twist. I can hardly wait to see the next political vote and find out how things are playing.

Also, I gotta ask - Dominus, WTF are you doing? This is a suicide mission, and you're surrounded on all sides by high explosive fuel and fragile target buildings. What's the logic in standing completely still and doing nothing? That seems like the least possibly useful thing to do in this situation to me.

At the time we where still awaiting further orders and I wanted to be able to survive leaving the refinery, I didn't stand completely still, I preformed an about face, but due to all the movement penalties from fog I couldn't walk through the buildings. Now that our final objective has been revealed, I'm content to jumpjet my way out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good news, everyone! I have finally discovered a means to record MegaMek (meaning: I finally spent the ten minutes or so to find a program that lets me film a portion of my desktop).

Also good news, Clan Widowmaker Cadet Tanay was killed in a trial of position (by bots, of all things) so that's one three less Widowmaker red-shirts you'll have to kill later.

I may go ahead and pretty up my test video with commentary and/or music and post it later, but this is a sign of good things to come.

Does this mean future matches are going to be played entirely via Megamek, with writeups afterwards, or are you just going to use it to show off various gameplay mechanics for those of us not used to playing the actual game?

Edit:So purely speculatively, what would happen if they'd happen to take out a guard mech by mistake?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 14, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Does this mean future matches are going to be played entirely via Megamek

No, I still plan to run matches normally in addition to new videos showcasing battles with MegaMek.

Basically, the normal missions will continue to give a broad perspective (and will contain scenarios with objectives not easily duplicated in MegaMek); while MegaMek will get a far more narrow focus and follow a specific unit around the Inner Sphere.

VVV I'll go into that. The MegaMek games won't prevent anyone from taking their turn normally.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 14, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Hey, PTN. As I'm on the player list and could potentially end up needing MegaMek at some point, what version should I be getting?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:monocle: I must say, I wasn't expecting that at all when I picked the weather.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Tora Tora Tora clearly leads to BANZAI!!!!

Just, you know, be sure to fulfill damage objectives as well.

Also, best twist ever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

:monocle: indeed. Looks like Loki or someone else infiltrated Heimdall, or at least whoever was giving the lance their instructions. I know I was doing something right when I argues against attacking the Home Guard mechs... Discredit them, and Archon Melissa loses some of her closest supporters as they are forced out due to their failure and replaced with Lestrade cronies. Do the players still have to fulfill the whole property damage clause before dieing in order to get the best ending for this mission?

If so, then there should be no problems with the Valkyrie jumpjetting out of the refinery now. Go out with a bang. I don't think the tank is close enough to get wrecked in the explosion either, so go for it. As for the Javelin, I second the idea to draw in the Griffin while heading towards the skyscraper... Get killed by it and take out the building in one go, fulfilling both your objectives at the same time. Just hope the Griffin isn't too close when you die, else you explosives might take him out as well. As for the Assassin, I guess you should head towards the train and the Von Luckner tank, shooting the train and getting hit by the tank until you die. You guys have 5 turns to do all that property damage and then die. Make the most of it. Am I right in observing that 3 more Home Guard units will soon show up on the field? If so, I guess there's more opportunities for our players to die to their guns. Can't wait to see what they're driving and their stats when they show up.

Also, great writing, PTN. I was not expecting this at all. Can't wait to see what the outcome of this is going to be... Discredit Lestrade, Clovis unknowingly met his mother, get a message via him to Archon Melissa, and have the Home Guard look good all in one go. Awesome. Love the whole "Tora, Tora, Tora" line as well. Banzai!

evilmiera posted:

Edit:So purely speculatively, what would happen if they'd happen to take out a guard mech by mistake?
I would assume that would make the Home Guard look bad and discredit them, but not as much as taking them all out would do. Lestrade might be able to argue that they're incompetent and try and replace them with some of his own cronies, but he won't have too much of an argument if the Home Guard isn't that badly damaged and they manage to take out the raiders.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 15, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ZeeToo posted:

:monocle: I must say, I wasn't expecting that at all when I picked the weather.

Oh sure, play innocent. I'll bet when you were choosing the Weather Conditions you selected "Night, Heavy Fog with a chance of STRIKING PLOT ELEMENTS". You couldn't just give us access to a few gauss rifles? That would've been too boring, hunh?

And whoever it was that told me I should jump over there and pepper that building in preparation for my best Kool-Aid Man impression--well that's exactly what my orders were.

I can't wait to see the post-jumpjet carnage. Just remember when you're planning your landing that you can't be standing next to any Home Guard units. We explode.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 15, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
PTN you devilish bastard. :devil:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

GhostStalker posted:

...Just hope the Griffin isn't too close when you die, else you explosives might take him out as well....

Since the griffin is in its -1N config, I'm fairly sure it would try to get away from the target for the obvious reasons of it being made of EXPLODIUM and also because it's based around long range. But damage to a Home Guard unit is still damage, and that'll hurt.

What I'm most concerned about is: If the refinery doesn't top you guys out at 30 million C-bills, how are you going to safely get the rest? The train is surrounded by residential buildings, the park is a shooting gallery, and the only way that both Valk and Assassin can make it to ye olde skycraper in cover is through a block of residential buildings.

Difficult decisions, indeed.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Can someone explain to me what just happened cause I'm not getting it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ActionZero posted:

Basically the players just got an order specifically to destroy the Home Guard 'mechs. This runs counter to everything they've been doing however, which was geared towards making LOKI look bad and causing damage to military targets as part of keeping up appearances for the raid.

If the Heimdall lance were to attack the Home Guard and take some of them out in the ensuing conflagration, Duke Lestrade would be able to discredit them and replace them with his loyalist forces to continue his power plays against Archon Melissa.

Essentially it seems that Heimdall has been infiltrated and this entire mission may have been a trap.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ActionZero posted:

They just got orders to take out the Home Guard 'Mechs, who are on 'their' side of the conflict, as far as such things go. Clearly, this means that they've been infiltrated.

Now, as of Tora Tora Tora they're supposed to ignore that last order, but continue to follow the others. Right now I think they're trying to straddle the line between "cause serious concern about the Clans, while also covering for whatever was going on in the nightclub" and "badly embarrass the Home Guard, allowing the Duke to pack it full of his lackeys."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

And here you guys thought the team had to survive to see the other objectives, heh. :smug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BANZAI!

What would happen if, by some strange twist of luck, that Javelin managed to get close to a Locust and then blown up by a Home Guard unit, taking the Locust out in the process? Would that be a good or a bad thing? For the Home Guard, I mean. Dying for the mission and embarrassing LOKI without unwanted collateral damage would be a positive outcome in any other situation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

yes you can clear the 5 in a single bound, jumpjets means you can move vertically and horizontally that distance, so jumpjet 5 lets you clear a 5 high building. now jumpjet out of the refinery and glory.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holy poo poo. Has Lestrade found out Simon Johnson? That bodes poorly if he has.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The mission objective says to not damage any home guard mech. Tanks are not mechs.

Blow up the Von Luckner, die trying, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

The mission objective says to not damage any home guard mech. Tanks are not mechs.

Blow up the Von Luckner, die trying, or both.

Perhaps not, but I get the feeling that destroying or even severely damaging the Von Luckner will still embarrass the Home Guard and damage them (and Archon Melissa Steiner by association) politically.

• Locked thread