Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Log082 posted:

So I've been following this thread because it's great, but I don't actually know any Battletech rules. But that said, didn't someone earlier say that ammo is automatically hit if you're shot in the back while dumping it? Because if so, the pilot of the Javelin knows what to do...

Yes, ammo being dumped is automatically hit if you are attacked from the rear. I know this personally, it happened to me last night in a session of megamek. My beautiful Archer exploded so quickly...:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

If I may, he might have been thinking that the DFA would be resolved before the effects of the incoming fire. That doesn't even seem so strange; after all, 45 tons of falling metal should be 45 tons of falling metal whether it's being piloted at the time it falls or if it's a 45-ton collection of recently-disassociated parts... Because it's still 45 tons of freaking falling metal.

Unfortunately, BTech don't work that way.

Pretty much this is exactly what I thought. That, and you people were all clamoring for a DFA earlier, so I was trying to put on a good show before going out. I assure you, I'm kicking myself more than enough for all of you. Still, I'm inclined to believe that we managed a decent run of things, even if the objectives are not 100% complete.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Battletech assumes that the damage is being done through the movement phase so he's being shot at while he jumped. And techincally he blew up in midair anyways so anything that hit the train would be bits and pieces.

Of course we refererred to DFAs as Darwin Award entries.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The objective isn't to win, it is to have tons of fun. I would much rather lose with a thousand glorious DFAs vs win with none :colbert:

And yes, I am also looking forward to the next political vote. This has been an amusing distraction, but we need to get back to the main event. <REDACTED>!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Edit: those LRMS should have hit the building, the building ate a large laser strike 8 damage, 5 damage of lrms should not penetrate

You are correct, my memory slipped last night I suppose. I'm not going to go back and change it now, though. The Javelin can't really use that arm for much anyway.

AtomikKrab posted:

Edit edit: did the explosion remove the night penalty for a turn? can I get word on this ptn?

Everyone's illuminated by a floodlight.

Preechr posted:

Although, now that I think of it, there is a rule in Maximum Tech that allows a chance for the flaming debris of a 'mech shot down mid-DFA to still hit the target.

The explosion did 40 damage to the train, there wasn't enough 'flaming debris' to add anything significant to that.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Every part of me wants that building to get its supports taken out and fall into the park, crushing everybody.

Is this feasible in game terms? Or do hexes just drop straight down regardless of height and connecting structures?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Also, in the status bit, Snow is still listed as alive and active.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, in the status bit, Snow is still listed as alive and active.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Being exploded ain't stoppin' poo poo.

:black101:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Javelin can't really use that arm for much anyway.

It can use it to absorb hits that are allocated to the arm, instead of having them get allocated to the torso.

But I think it's gonna be fine anyway. Everyone on the map now has a single target so I suspect that building's going to absorb a hell of a lot of fire in the next turn. And there's just a small amount of damage left to do. If the Javelin fires off some shots, gets a kick in, gets the building shot up by incoming fire, and then explodes, I really think we're gonna hit the target.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wait... the explosion did 40 damage to the train? Doesn't that mean it has less than 40 damage remaining?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Train damaged in explosion (16/60 structure remains)!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Surrounded on all sides, though, and it'll take two turns to get to the train. Only way we can leave the building is in a coffee filter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

On the plus side, if the entire enemy force lights up H4 and the building he's in we might just see the damage objective completed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, that stings. A kick for 8, the laser for 5, and both SRMs for 4 would have, with the Assassin detonation, finished off the train and likely the scenario.

Of course, the DFA would have hit for 24 and done the same thing....if only you hadn't gotten shot down.

Well, I doubt the Javelin can get to the train now, though. Its muck about in the building and consider self-destructing your SRMs, maybe.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 18, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

wiegieman posted:

On the plus side, if the entire enemy force lights up H4 and the building he's in we might just see the damage objective completed.

You act like that wasn't the plan all along. I just wish some enemy mech would charge me, and then we could wrestle to death inside an office tower.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

You act like that wasn't the plan all along. I just wish some enemy mech would charge me, and then we could wrestle to death inside an office tower.

You can't make physical attacks against a target in a building unless you're also in that building.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't make physical attacks against a target in a building unless you're also in that building.

In that case, G4 to 0415 for the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny. I can't remember, does a charge require straight-line movement?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Best option is to DFI the building.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Death from Inside?

Well, there is such a thing as a "Jump Jet Attack."

Does anyone know where the rules for Jump Jet Attacks are?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Death from Inside?

Yes, they have a range of 1 and are really stupid and ineffective. They're also how Joanna killed Natasha Kerensky in-canon.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Death from Inside?

Does anyone know where the rules for Jump Jet Attacks are?

I thought about it, but I figured a more conservative path would make this whole thing finish up in a relatively timely and clean manner. Besides, I can't sit here and curmudgeonly gripe about new-fangled, non-standard BT maneuvering and then try to play structural support pinball.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, they have a range of 1 and are really stupid and ineffective. They're also how Joanna killed Natasha Kerensky in-canon.

So what you're saying is we can use them to murder Aldo Lestrade :flame:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

So what you're saying is we can use them to murder Aldo Lestrade :flame:

To be fair, you could use a wrench to murder Aldo Lestrade. He's a pretty boy but he's not especially tough.

Just waiting on a quick response from Tilde.

Fake Edit: Nevermind, recounted. The Schreck PPC Carrier is out of range. This turn.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
This mission is so ridiculously well planned, there are no words.

Except maybe "Vote five forever"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation Himinbjörg: Tactical Update 14

Movement Phase
Ace G4 Home Guard PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk jumps 5 to 0421!

Ace G5 Home Guard GHR-5D Grasshopper jumps 4 to 1228!

Ace G6 Home Guard Schreck PPC Carrier attempts to flank to hex 1824, must make a piloting test to avoid skidding (2 base + 0 movement = 2): rolled 5, succeeds!
Ace G6 Home Guard Schreck PPC Carrier flanks to hex 1824!

Combat Phase:
G4 Home Guard Phoenix Hawk spots for G5 Grasshopper!
G4 Home Guard Phoenix Hawk fires Large Laser at H4 Javelin (1 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog + 1 spotting for LRM Barrage = 6): rolled 10, hit Head (3/6 armor remains)! 7 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 50,000 c-bills in damage sustained! Pilot hit!
G4 Ace Home Guard Phoenix Guard generates 13 heat, sinks 10! 3 heat builds up! Overheating, movement reduced!

G5 Ace Home Guard Grasshopper fires LRM 5 Indirectly (1 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 4 range + 1 spotter + 1 spotter fired other weapons = 10): rolled 7, miss!

G5 Ace Home Guard Grasshopper generates 5 heat, sinks 22! 0 heat builds up!

G6 Ace Home Guard Schreck PPC Carrier holds fire!

H4 Javelin fires SRM 6 at building hex 0415 (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 immobile target = 1): rolled 6, 4 missiles hit (77/90 structure remains)! 50,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
H4 Javelin fires SRM 6 at building hex 0415 (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 immobile target = 1): rolled 8, 6 missiles hit (65/90 structure remains)! 100,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
H4 Javelin gains 14 heat, sinks 11! 3 heat builds up!

S1 Stinger holds fire!
S1 Stinger gains 6 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S2 Stinger fires Medium Laser at H4 Javelin (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog = 5): rolled 12, hit left leg! 5 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 7,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
S2 Stinger fires Medium Laser at H4 Javelin (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog = 5): rolled 10, hit left leg! 5 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 5,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
S2 Stinger gains 6 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S3 Scorpion Light Tank holds fire!

S4 Galleon Light Tank holds fire!

P2 Locust fires Medium Laser at H4 Javelin (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods + 1 fog = 8): rolled 7, miss!
P2 Locust fires SRM 2 at H4 Javelin (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 8, 1 missile hit Left Torso! 2 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 2,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
P2 Locust fires SRM 2 at H4 Javelin (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 8, 2 missiles hit Left Leg, Left Arm! 4 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 6,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
P2 Locust gains 1 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

G1 Home Guard Jagermech holds fire!

G2 Home Guard Griffin fires PPC at H4 Javelin (1 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 fog = 4): rolled 2, miss!
G2 Home Guard Griffin fires LRM 10 at H4 Javelin (1 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range = 3): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Left Arm, Center Torso! 6 damage soaked by building hex 0414! 15,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
G2 Home Guard Griffin gains 9 heat, sinks 12! 0 heat builds up!

G3 Home Guard Von Luckner holds fire!

End Phase
Building Hex 0414 structure reduced to 50/90!

H4 Javelin must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 6, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:

The staccato bursts of SRM fire echoed loudly through the desolate streets of Tharkad even as the fog continued to rush back in to fill the massive void created by the refinery’s explosion. Leutnant Kiera Virgo’s Phoenix Hawk danced through the air at her expert command. It was the finest machine she’d ever had the privilege of piloting, a nearly mint design that had seen battle only twice in over two centuries of service. It was just a pity the heat sinks were so inefficient, but she knew that was a flaw that had always plagued the Phoenix Hawk design.

A ripple of explosions filled the office owned by Summer Industries—and owned indirectly by Duke Lestrade. The enemy Javelin—bearing the same markings of the force that had destroyed the Gray Death Legion no less—had turned away from its attackers to blast away at the inside of the office.

Kiera’s brow furrowed; unless there was something unusual about that building, it shouldn’t need to use SRMs to blast its way out. She came down behind it, on a rise that gave her as clear a vantage as she could find, and pumped kilojoules of energy into the back of the Javelin’s head. It staggered for an instant, and shifted out of her field of fire before her shot could finish it.

She cursed under her breath, working furiously to try to line up another shot. If the little Clan invader really was planning on making a back door for itself, it was in for one hell of a nasty surprise!

Enemy Forces:
S1 STG-3G Stinger: Jumps 6 to 0112! Floodlight active!
S2 STG-3G Stinger: holds position! Floodlight active!
S3 Scorpion Light Tank: holds position!
S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank: holds position!
P2LCT-1S Locust: runs to hex 0715! Floodlight active!
G1 Home Guard Griffin holds position!
G2 Home Guard Jaegermech walks to hex 1513!
G3 Home Guard Von Luckner Heavy Tank holds position!
G4 Home Guard Phoenix Hawk waits to move! ACE! Floodlight Active!
G5 Home Guard Grasshopper waits to move! ACE! Floodlight Active!
G6 Home Guard Schreck PPC Carrier waits to move! ACE!

Mission Objectives
Destroy the Statue of Duke Lestrade (hex 1214) to draw LOKI away from the Heavy Snow Nightclub! (Complete!)
Destroy the Heavy Snow Nightclub (orange) Building! (Complete!)
Await Further Objectives! (Complete!)
Avoid damaging residential (blue) buildings! (12,000,000/20,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained)
Cause Property Damage to Commercial and Industrial (red) buildings or enemy units! (28,192,000/30,000,000 c-bills in damage caused)
Destroy all Home Guard ‘Mechs (Failed!)
Avoid damaging any Home Guard ‘Mech (???)
Die before the start of Turn 17! (3/4)

H1 VLK-QA Valkyrie
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: “Rain”
Mechwarrior Player: Dominus Caedis
Mechwarrior Status: Vaporized in an explosion
Notes: Vaporized in an ammunition explosion

H2 COM-2D Commando
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Name: “Sleet”
Mechwarrior Player: Terror Storm
Notes: Vaporized in an explosion

H3 ASN-21 Assassin
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: “Snow”
Mechwarrior Player: Capskye
Notes: Vaporized in an explosion

H4 JVN-10N Javelin
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 3/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 3/8 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 2/2
RT A(S): 6/8 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 0/6 (1/5)
RA A(S):0/6 (0/5)
LL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
RL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: “Hail”
Mechwarrior Player: TildeATH
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel Wound, Neural Feedback (5+ consciousness)!
Armament:
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status
S1 STG-3G Stinger
Tonnage: 20 tons
Pilot: Piloting 3, Gunnery 4
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S2 STG-3G Stinger
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S3 Scorpion Light Tank
Tonnage: 25 tons
Pilot: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Armament: Autocannon/5, Machine Gun
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank
Tonnage: 30 tons
Pilot: Driving 3, Gunnery 4
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 Small Lasers
Motive System Damage: +1 penalty on all driving skill rolls!
Notes:

P1 LCT-1E Locust
Armament: 1 Medium Lasers, 1 Small Lasers
Notes:

P2LCT-1S Locust
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2s
Notes:

P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter
Notes: Fled off-map!

G1GRF-1N Griffin
Tonnage: 55 tons
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: PPC, LRM 10
Notes:

G2 JM6-S Jagermech
Tonnage: 65 tons
Armament: 2 Autocannon/2s, 2 Autocannon/5s, 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

G3 VNL-K65N Von Luckner Heavy Tank
Tonnage: 75 tons
Pilot: Driving 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: Autocannon/20, 2 SRM 6s, SRM 4, LRM 10, Machine Gun, Flamer
Notes:

G4 PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk (ACE)
Tonnage: 45 tons
Heat: 7/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced!
Armament: Large Laser, 2 Medium Lasers, 2 Machine Guns
Notes:

G5 GHR-5H Grasshopper (ACE)
Tonnage: 70 tons
Armament: Large Laser, 4 Medium Lasers, LRM 5
Notes:

G6 Schreck PPC Carrier (ACE)
Tonnage: 80 tons
Armament: 3 PPCs
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh. Now that's interesting. Something's definitely up with the building. Now should the Jav blow it the hell up or run away so there's something that the Home Guard can investigate? And was the mission a cover for destroying the building anyway if Heimdall was infiltrated?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

SynthOrange posted:

Huh. Now that's interesting. Something's definitely up with the building. Now should the Jav blow it the hell up or run away so there's something that the Home Guard can investigate? And was the mission a cover for destroying the building anyway if Heimdall was infiltrated?

The Javelin should continue attacking, and shooting at, the building. When it goes, it'll do forty damage, right? So it's imperative to get the structure of the building down under 40. That way, he can die and bring the team over the limit, hopefully, at the same time.

Also, it's about time this thread went gold!

E: That's a good point; is there a way to walk over to the far hex of the building and explode there?
vvvv

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Going to be tricky to blow up the building without damaging that home guard mech. It has ACE too, so it will just follow you.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Do we know an exact number for how much damage is dealt by the explosives inside each 'mech? If it's more than 40, and Tilde can pull this off for one more turn, then as long as he manages to die inside the building and take out a hex, we should be easily above the cap and unless he manages to tumble the whole thing down, it should minimize damage to the other 'mechs and residential areas.

This is so cool! Hopefully the updates will continue rapidly until our conclusion. :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
20 damage in each adjacent hex. Also, 20 damage in the hex the 'Mech is in.

So, slightly more damage than a direct hit from an Arrow IV missile.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

(Indirectly) Owned by Duke Lestrade you say?

That explains a lot about the objectives and hopefully a sign that succeeding in the mission won't gently caress over the relatively-less-bad guys. Hopefully. I mean, while I hear PTN has quite the devious reputation, he's been keeping to determining the outcome of the narrative based on the success of the players given the mission objectives. So a successful mission result would mean good things happen, an unsuccessful mission involves more getting socked by a Clan Omnimech moving three times faster or things roughly that embarrassing.

(EDIT: Struck through because I am fairly certain it wasn't painted red, that was just my impression of the events.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

EDIT: Struck through because I am fairly certain it wasn't painted red, that was just my impression of the events.

Well, the Red ones do go faster; but Dusk would make a pretty terrible Char.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the little Clan invader really was planning on making a back door for itself, it was in for one hell of a nasty surprise!

Should this line worry me? Also, I find it interesting that every building that was marked in red is indirectly owned by Duke Lestrade.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Should this line worry me? Also, I find it interesting that every building that was marked in red is indirectly owned by Duke Lestrade.

Power in the Commonwealth is tied to your wealth and holdings as much as land, after all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

(Indirectly) Owned by Duke Lestrade you say?

That explains a lot about the objectives and hopefully a sign that succeeding in the mission won't gently caress over the relatively-less-bad guys. Hopefully. I mean, while I hear PTN has quite the devious reputation, he's been keeping to determining the outcome of the narrative based on the success of the players given the mission objectives. So a successful mission result would mean good things happen, an unsuccessful mission involves more getting socked by a Clan Omnimech moving three times faster or things roughly that embarrassing.

(EDIT: Struck through because I am fairly certain it wasn't painted red, that was just my impression of the events.)

Well, if things we do start to cause the Inner Sphere to lose against the clans, we'll just switch to playing the clans!

We don't really have a "side", per se, although Poptarts does do a good job of getting us invested in the personal missions of whoever we're playing as in any particular scenario.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I would think the homeguard mechs would stay out of the 1 hex death zone, so as not to get hit in the explosion, they aren't stupid right? Building is good for blocking for one last turn. pound those srms into it some more, or maybe more a hex down and pound then northern side with it. if you live this turn, pound the northen side one last time, and blow your mech.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
A move to 0315 should give you slightly more cover and allow your death explosion to hit two additional hexes of the building.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

415 Vox, the goal now is to die, taking down at least a hex of that building. 13 height falling should be enough to put him over, 2 hexes down would be better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Any particular reason why the Javelin isn't kicking the building during physical combat phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Javelin's got a 2 turn clock to die due to the fact that Turn 17 is coming up very soon... You need to hit that building hex as much as possible next turn, then step out of the building to get shot to poo poo and have you explosives bring down that hex, resulting in enough damage to pass the property damage requirement. Better get on it, man.

• Locked thread