Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Future Mechwarriors need to take notice of the way the valk went out in a orgy of explosions.

Thats hows its suppose to be done. None of this pussy ejection pod stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Learn 2 shoot needs to be changed to a 3+ you literally cannot miss a 2+, not even with snake eyes, there is no automatic failure on snake eyes in btech.

:PowerGamer: have more than 2 clan large pulse lasers or 2 clan large pulse and a targeting computer on a mech.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Iridium posted:

I can actually top that. In the early stages of the thread a bunch of us started playing MegaMek. We had one round where I was the first or second mech destroyed, but the pilot survived. I kept him meandering around the field taking potshots with a laser rifle until towards the end. Actually took down a mech (would have been medium or heavy, probably the former) with my rifle and a lucky critical ammo explosion. Out of a field of 8, in spite of being violently dispossessed very early on, I ended up lasting until it was just me versus the final mech.

Who, needless to say, atomized me without a second thought. Still, luckiest moment ever in that game.

The worst I've ever seen was on the old MegaMekNet server (3025 era). On the second round, a Blackjack took at potshot at long range against an Atlas. Through-armor-critical, center torso, triple engine.

An Atlas died from a single shot equal in damage to a machine gun burst.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Learn 2 shoot needs to be changed to a 3+ you literally cannot miss a 2+, not even with snake eyes, there is no automatic failure on snake eyes in btech.

:PowerGamer: have more than 2 clan large pulse lasers or 2 clan large pulse and a targeting computer on a mech.

Executioner A, anyone?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Warhawk C too.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double Blind, which was the first book where they tried to imply that the Word of Blake might be "up to something," which is pretty interesting since it's set during The Great 3055-3060 Faffing About.

It wasn't Coleman's best book, but it was pretty solid and inoffensive. In addition to portraying the Word of Blake as a 'threat' (as opposed to a 'joke'), it also introduced (and is the only book set in, IIRC) a periphery kingdom.
There are a few that deal with Periphery worlds in some capacity. There's a Mechwarrior series novel based on Able's Aces too.

AtomikKrab posted:

Partial cover.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

landcollector posted:

Here's another achievement:

"Oh No, No, Not the bees! Not the bees!" : Be killed by <The Redacted>.

That gave me an idea for three more achievements:

"French Délicatesse": kill a single <Redacted>

"French Cuisine": kill an entire star of <Redacted>

"Master Chef": singlehandedly kill an entire star of <Redacted>

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Quite right, updated!

:LRN 2 Play: Fail to understand basic game mechanics.
code:
Completed on 2011.05.20. Awarded to Rivensteel, SA LP Battletech

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No really, partial cover will actually result in you missing a target with an auto-hit if the shot hits the legs. It would even be possible when calling a shot to do so....

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Rivensteel posted:

Quite right, updated!

:LRN 2 Play: Fail to understand basic game mechanics.
code:
Completed on 2011.05.20. Awarded to Rivensteel, SA LP Battletech

Arquinsiel is right. You should change the :LRN 2 Play: award to AtomikKrab.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Learn 2 Shoot: Pilot a Bane, have every single UAC/2 jam at least once

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Felime posted:

Learn 2 Shoot: Pilot a Bane, have every single UAC/2 jam at least once

completely impossible, I am sorry it will never happen.

(no clanner turns it to ultra, that is a waste of ammo)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Political Vote 4:

Melissa Arthur Steiner sat quietly in her room, her hands folded quietly in her lap. Held virtually powerless by her uncle Frederick and her self-appointed ‘regent’ Aldo Lestrade; there was nothing the Estates General could do to aid her, and very little she could do to help herself.

The door to her room opened quietly, and Duke Lestrade’s idiot son slipped in. She frowned, he looked ridiculous in clothing his father had picked out for him; a doublet of bright canary yellow with green pants of a roguish cut. His father may have made the look work; but his son certainly couldn’t.

“Melissa,” he beamed widely, “It’s nice to see you again.”

“So nice of you to knock,” she glowered. “It’s a pity the Clans didn’t kill you, toad.”

“You wound me,” he clutched his heart as if struck; then glared at her. “But the Clans couldn’t shoot me; I’m far too small a target. Besides,” he teased, “You’ll warm to me eventually. After all, we’re to be wed in the spring.”

She turned away, glowering. Clovis Lestrade laughed raucously, slapping his knees—and accidentally triggered a small handheld device his father had given him. In a few moments, it blinked red; then flashed green as it located and silently neutralized all video and audio bugs in Melissa Steiner’s quarters. It was a powerful tool that Simon Johnson had been entirely against giving the Duke’s idiot son.

All mirth slipped from Clovis’ features; he straightened quietly. his attitude changing in an instant from imbecilic good humor to a morose resignation.

“… How much longer do we need to keep this up, Jeana?” He whispered quietly,

Jeana Clay, agent of Heimdall and Melissa Steiner’s body double looked up at him silently. She’d been hand-picked by Katrina Steiner herself; and willingly given herself to the mental conditioning that allowed her to ‘be’ Melissa Steiner; at the cost of her name, her rank, and her ‘Mech. It had been worth it; it still was… with her on Tharkad, Melissa was free. Free to gain support, free to gain power, even free to marry her betrothed, Hanse Davion, if she so wished.

“As long as it takes,” Jeana replied quietly.

He sighed. “Simon almost caught me at the drop-off,” he said quietly. “drat him; he’s too good at rooting out Heimdall cells. How he uncovered Gultoppr Lance… and My father sent an agent to test my loyalty, too. He patronizes me like I’m some mindless oaf; but I almost suspect he’d be proud of me if he thought I was capable of betraying him. I was given a microchip that was a ‘message’ for you. I didn’t look at it, and handed it over to my father like a good little dog.”

She gave Clovis’ little hand a squeeze. “We have until the spring to figure something out,” she replied quietly. “Marrying you would hardly be a burden for me.”

He nodded in reply, “True—you could always reveal your duplicity then; which would leave me married to someone well away from the Throne and let Melissa return unburdened—”

She kissed him on the cheek, “You’re a good man, Clovis Lestrade. How long have we been at this? Two conspirators in a sea of enemies? It pains me that I have to hate you, publically. You’re the only friend I have in the universe, I think. I could name worse suitors.”

He looked away, “You deserve a better man than the likes of me, Jeana.”

Her eyes softened, sadness touching her beautiful features for a brief, unguarded instant. “How did you know the chip was a fake?”

“Because,” he replied slyly, “it was given by my mother.”

Jeana nodded, smiled… they both laughed. The thought of Danica Holstein on Tharkad was an amusing one. If she was here, so too was—

The Red Corsair paced quietly on the bridge of the Merchant-class Jumpship Bifrost, her long red hair trailing behind her in the microgravity created by the ship’s station keeping thrusters. At the helm, Danica Holstein didn’t spare the red-costumed pirate queen a second glance.

A throaty chuckle pierced the businesslike silence of the bridge. A tall, muscular man with a thick but well-kept black beard and shoulder-length black hair chuckled, then laughed outright as he watched the Red Corsair’s progress.

She shot him a wicked glare, and demanded to know, “What?!”

“Just reminiscing about old times, Melissa,” the man replied quietly; letting his mirth die down. “You really should take the Captain’s chair. The Red Corsair needs to remain calm and in control.”

She frowned, and nodded. “… Sorry, Morgan. I keep forgetting, you were with her back then.”

“Me and your father both,” Morgan Kell replied with a smile.

“You don’t—”

His face hardened, “I do,” he cut her off, “have to do this again. The Kell Hounds owe everything to your father and mother; I won’t stand by and let you fight her murderer alone.”

Behind him, Salome Ward nodded silently. She patted Morgan on the shoulder, her long, reddish hair blended well with her wicked-looking space-pirate leathers. “The Kell Hounds are hardly about to let our leader run around without us,” she replied with sparkling eyes, “who knows what trouble he could get into without our help? He might even start another Mercenary unit, or join up with Team Banzai—”

From his own corner, the brilliant Doctor Banzai laughed heartily. One of the first innovators to come along in centuries, he was responsible for some of the first new Battlemech designs since the first succession war. The doctor’s voice was strong and pleasant as summer sunshine. “I don’t think there’s any danger of that, Salome. We’d be Team Kell in a matter of hours; and we’d be the Kell Hounds’ forth regiment a few hours after that.”

“A few minutes after,” Morgan laughed, smiling warmly at his niece. “So, Captain, have you put any thought into our destination?”

Melissa Arthur Steiner, the new Red Corsair, nodded quietly and slipped into her chair. She was rough around the edges, but when presented with an actual problem to plan for and solve, Morgan could think of very few better suited.

“We need supplies, support, and possibly even a base of operations. I think we should—”

“I think we should—”
A) “—set a course for Helm in the Free Worlds’ League. A Castle Brian was discovered there; if we could loot it, we’d have all the supplies we’d need.”
B) “—set a course for the Heimdall base at Styx in the Draconis Combine. We can rally support there, and there may be someone with connections we can use.”
C) “—set a course for New Avalon in the Federated Suns. Perhaps Hanse Davion will still be willing to lend us his support.”
D) “—set a course for Outreach in the Capellan Confederation. It was an important world to the Star League; if anything survived the nuclear attacks, it would make an excellent base of operations.”
E) “—set a course for the Periphery and try to contact these ‘Clans’. We don’t know what their goals are, so perhaps we could find a way to get them what they want and spare the Lyran Commonwealth from further attacks. That would be a deathblow to Lestrade’s contention that I’m unfit to lead the Commonwealth…”

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This one requires serious thought! B and E seem like really bad choices, but the others are all promising.

e: I can't help it, I am a Davion Patriot. C

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 22, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Wow! I am loving the political intrigue here. A tough decision you're giving us...I am having some difficulty narrowing down a good choice. Choice C or D stand out to me. I think Choice E would be a bad idea.

For Choice C, would The Fox take a risk in possibly inciting a conflict with the Lyran Commonwealth?

As for Choice D, doesn't Outreach have a lot of buried Star League era stuff? It certainly would provide for the supplies.

The hell with it. I vote for Choice C.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

KnoxZone posted:

This one requires serious thought.

Indeed.

D I've only read a little of the fluff and that many years ago but that name sounds vaguely familiar.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Hm.

The way I see it, E is suicidal, and B is more than likely not helpful. D seems iffy with the non-existence of the Dragoons and the current status of the Capellan Confederation. That leaves A and C. A is a risk (since we don't know what such a raid would entail, although we can probably assume some sort of Kell Hounds/Team Banzai supergroup is in order), with high reward.

But the in character choice seems to be C: there's already a strong connection there thanks to the Hounds and Dr. Banzai, to say nothing of Melissa herself. So: Choice C, and God Save the Prince.

ninja edit: I reserve the right to change this vote though; I do have a question: what forces would we be hypothetically sending them to Helm with, if A were to win?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

ninja edit: I reserve the right to change this vote though; I do have a question: what forces would we be hypothetically sending them to Helm with, if A were to win?

Why, the Red Corsair's pirate band, of course!

... consisting of the Kell Hounds and a regiment-sized Team Banzai; plus whatever support can be drudged up elsewhere.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Given that Helm was built before the timeline split, it's going to be pretty loving hard to actually find it without Grayson Carlylse pulling poo poo out of asses all over the place.

My vote goes to C. Hanse'll fix it, just like he always does.

God save the Prince :davion:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Choice C, because I'm completely oblivious when it comes to the political backstory of Battletech, but even I know who Hanse Davion is in the regular timeline.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I''m voting D. If the Fallout games have taught me anything, it's that you can always find awesome advanced tech by wandering around a nuclear wasteland shooting people in the face.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
So very torn between A and D here. On one hand, Helm sounds like an interesting mission and a possibility of very much needed upgrades, but on the other hand option D is "woo nuclear shithole with possible star league remnants to be found".

gently caress it, I'm voting D

I could have voted C, but that would be so... regular universe. This isn't the same timeline and I'd love to see some proper alternate stories set in, if only to let PTN flex some storytelling muscles.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Choice B because Snakes need more love in this story! :nyoron:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Voting A because ComStar is way too busy to try to suppress the Helm Core and Dr. Banzai will be able to make incredible use of it. The Helm Core will also make a potent bargaining chip for gathering support.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
As much as I would love to vote C, the rightful Archon needs her own powerbase, even if the Fox could be trusted.

D!

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Voting A. The thought of voting E and creating House Widowmaker Steiner is kinda tempting though, especially when they start rampaging around the Inner Sphere, accidentally spreading the rules of Steiner Duelling.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I have to go with A. Largely because it would mean dropping Dr. Banzai in with the Helm core. And that would be craaaaaazy awesome.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gonna throw my vote in for A because seriously, Dr. Banzai with the core. So Helm then New Avalon.

Edit: A, not E.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 22, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and change my vote from C to A. Seeing what the good Doctor could do with the Helm library would be amazing and C is just too obvious.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

C) “—set a course for New Avalon in the Federated Commonweath. Perhaps Hanse Davion will still be willing to lend us his support.”

Typo, blatant foreshadowing, or both? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Typo, blatant foreshadowing, or both? :v:

Typo (I've been reading too many post-3050 novels). Also, fixed.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
D.

From what I remember, the Dragoons actually found an enormous amount of usable tech on Outreach that they concealed from Davion. It also puts Melissa in an area with plentiful possibilities for shenanigans. Got to show Hanse that she's worthy of his love by conquering a world, after all.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I've got to go for the team awesome, Grey Death Legion. A

Pretty much this is the most extreme nail biter.

Prolly the most important vote of the thread!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm voting E because I'm not sure the thread's really made a catastrophically bad decision yet. Also, if the clans vaporize the Kell Hounds, it's one more mercenary unit full of Mary Sues down! PTN's already wiped out Wolf's Dragoons and The Grey Death Legion. I see it just as keeping along with a theme.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

PTN's already wiped out Wolf's Dragoons and The Gray Death Legion.

Have I?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Octatonic posted:

I'm voting E because I'm not sure the thread's really made a catastrophically bad decision yet. Also, if the clans vaporize the Kell Hounds, it's one more mercenary unit full of Mary Sues down! PTN's already wiped out Wolf's Dragoons and The Grey Death Legion. I see it just as keeping along with a theme.

You can't wipe out something that never existed.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'm going to vote... D.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

landcollector posted:

You can't wipe out something that never existed.

That's what I meant. They don't exist in this universe! Sure, the Widowmakers can have a cluster or something classified as dragoons or something, but you don't have Wolf's Dragoons: the political superpower of a mercenary unit that changes Combine doctrine forever and brings everyone to Outreach to shut up and actually fight the Clans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is a tough one. If I learned anything from Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries apart from "never play multiplayer", it's that having a strong base of operations is crucial if you're running a renegade operation.

So as much as I'm intrigued by going to Helm, I'm voting for D and Outreach instead.

I have a feeling it'll probably come down to those two choices anyway.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So can someone more versed in BattleTech backstory help me figure out something? Did Clovis just say that Simon Johnson was acting against Heimdall in the last mission? But wasn't Johnson Katrina's Intelligence head and one of the guys in charge of Heimdall? Did Lestrade turn him or something?

Also, nice fakeout with what happened to Clovis last mission. Guess that wasn't his mom he met after all...

As for the vote, I'm torn between A and C. B and especially E are right out, and without the Dragoons running Outreach, D sounds pretty bad as well, especially with the state the Capellans are in right now.

A trip to Helm sounds awesome Melissa and crew can recover the Helm Memory Core that the Grey Death Legion got and distributed in the OTL. And the idea of a Kell Hounds plus Team Banzai teamup, plus whatever Melissa can scrounge up, intrigues me... As others have said, a Dr. Banzai with the Helm Memory Core will be all sorts of hilarious.

On the other hand, going to New Avalon does sound like a pretty good choice, what with the Fox likely to lend support to his former betrothed. I'm going to have to think about this one...

gently caress it, let's go to Helm. That would be choice A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

CHOICE E cause why not.

• Locked thread