Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I hate to have to say this, but from a 'mech design standpoint, there should be a valid argument for using fuel-based flamers instead of plasma-tap flamers.

Namely that you're trading the drawbacks of tonnage and crits devoted to a volatile fuel and limited ammo supply for the fact that the flamer won't increase your own heat significantly. Which is not to say that shooting a massive jet of high-pressure liquid hydrazine at someone won't generate heat, but it'll be directed away from the firing 'mech for the most part, and a non-significant (IE, heat scale 0) amount of it will transfer back to the 'mech doing the firing.

Of course, I doubt that's how it actually works even if you mount a vehicle flamer on a 'mech.
A fuel-based flamer would actually work to cool the 'mech that fired it, speaking in terms of real-life physics. Ever seen the ice shards raining off the booster rockets during a shuttle liftoff? Hell, unless that plasma is actively the 'mech coolant, that should create an improved version of the same effect. And if you're unfamiliar with the effect, the simplistic version is that strong heat tends to "steal" extra heat from ambient temperatures. The effect is seen in refrigerators, air conditioning, propane tanks, rockets, and even fireplaces, plus those cooling lasers that came up earlier in the thread.

Of course, I'm willing to accept the idea of flamers creating heat in the wielder as an aspect of game balance. I just wanted to make it clear that we're leaving real physics behind to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TildeATH posted:

Contrary to popular belief, today's mechwarrior doesn't need to jack into a neural helmet or man some Robo-Jox joysticks. You can actually pilot a LP mech from your iPhone--even on a family vacation or semi-friendly barbecue.
As hideous as your assertion and unsolicited sales pitch is, in the Battletech official sources Apple did actually buy a while planet one day.....

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Breetai posted:

That actually looks neat. Then I learned that it was supposed to be a heavy/assault.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Ever seen the ice shards raining off the booster rockets during a shuttle liftoff?

I am required by space nerd law to point out that the reason for that is that the liquid fuel tanks are full of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, both of which are, in scientific terms, cold as gently caress. The ice is condensation that breaks off when the engines fire and start the whole thing rattling, it's nothing fancy.

I think you're more talking about a heat pump thing using pressure changes. Better analogy is a can of compressed air getting super cold as you use it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Arquinsiel posted:

As hideous as your assertion and unsolicited sales pitch is, in the Battletech official sources Apple did actually buy a while planet one day.....
And now we know them as ComStar!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually I *think* they're one of the manufacturing worlds in Davion space that got nuked pretty hard during the 1st Succession War, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Most Space America planets suffered the same fate anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Macintosh is actually the only holding of Apple Computers that survived, but they can't build anything but personal computers.

masam
May 27, 2010
I just started reading this thread, and going over the battletech rules. First off, fantastic job. Secondly, if you're still looking for pilots, mmaassaamm@gmail.com. Much appreciated!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I think i'm the first alternate on the list, so just a post to say i'm around in case the previous mechwarrior accidentally got vented into space before he got in his 'mech.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Breetai posted:

Never insult one to its face, however. It's a `Mech full of Clan Pulse Lasers and a Targeting Computer. Oh, and jumpjets too, so it jumps behind you and has no penalty from its own movement as it shoots you full of clan pulse goodness.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Unfortunately, Gothsheep has gone stale. The buck 'Mech has been passed.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Breetai posted:

This reminds me a little of the robots from "Batteries Not Included."

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Trast posted:

This reminds me a little of the robots from "Batteries Not Included."

You know, the original Black Python is hilaribad, because it looks like you put a 75-ton Aerospace fighter on a Locust's legs, welded on arms and pretended nobody would know.

I mean, hell, it even has a freaking engine cowling and vertical stabilizer. Come on! Don't even try to tell me it wasn't a design for an Aero that someone said "We need a 'mech right now, fix that up however you can!"

^^ This is not the original Black Python. This is the redesigned Black Python, and honestly? It looks pretty drat good to me.

It looks like a Cougar that's grown up, been off to university, and come back with a doctorate degree in advanced asskicking. Hell, I don't see any reason it's not an OmniMech. Everything looks like its pods, anyway.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 29, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I am required by space nerd law to point out that the reason for that is that the liquid fuel tanks are full of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, both of which are, in scientific terms, cold as gently caress. The ice is condensation that breaks off when the engines fire and start the whole thing rattling, it's nothing fancy.

I think you're more talking about a heat pump thing using pressure changes. Better analogy is a can of compressed air getting super cold as you use it.

I am required by space nerd law to tell you that both you and Bobbin are incorrect, although for different reasons (and you less so).

The reason a tank gets cold as its contents are used is because the contents are under pressure. Due to Boyle's Law, as you drop the pressure in the tank, the contents get colder.

Boyle's Law posted:

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, P [pressure] and V [volume] are inversely proportional (while one doubles, the other halves).

Since we're discussing a tank full of a material that at normal Earth-atmospheric pressures is a gas, in order to convert it into a liquid the substance is pressurized.

Now, liquid oxygen (for example) is indeed very cold, but that's because it has a boiling point of 90.2 Kelvin. Once you fill a pressurized cylinder with it, though, you can (in theory) hold enough pressure that the tank can sit at room tempurature no problem. That includes its contents.

In practice, rocket design typically has the tanks held at very low temperature - just above boiling point - because that means they can operate at much lower (and much safer) pressurization. This is why while the Shuttle is sitting on the pad ready to go, you see so much vapor swirling around - liquid fuels are constantly boiling in the tanks, the excess vapor is vented off, and since it's super-cold, water vapor instantly forms and you get clouds.

However, getting back to the point: even a tank at room tempurature (like, say, a can of compressed air, or a tank of propane used for a BBQ) will become very very cold as you start to use the fuel. Referring back to Boyle's Law, since you are not keeping the temperature constant (you are instead keeping the pressure constant, as liquid contents boil to replace gaseous contents being allowed to escape), and you are also keeping volume constant (the volume of the tank is not shrinking or growing), the variable for temperature must change.

Hence: if you had a tank of flamer fuel that is pressurized from a gas into a liquid, and you are venting off the gas to burn for the flamer, then yeah, the tank will get cold as the liquid is forced to boil to bring the gas back up to temperature, and the liquid therefore "steals" energy from outside the tank to warm back up. It can even be problematically cold: if it gets cold enough, you drop below the boiling point of the fuel and it no longer evaporates and your flamer stops working. Super-cold temperatures must also be accounted for in places like valve design.

So you are right that the contents of the shuttle orbiter tanks and the external tank for the shuttle rockets are kept cold, but they actually get colder as the liquid fuel is burned off during launch, and that's why huge chunks of ice form on the outside and then fall off during launch. (The solid rocket boosters have no such problem of course).

Anyway: hydrazine is great rocket fuel (because it has its own oxidizer) but it's extremely dangerous to handle (because it has its own oxidizer). Much more dangerous than a two-tank solution (a tank of fuel and a tank of oxidizer, which are combined in the nozzle). If you puncture a tank of propane it will not spontaneously explode, because there's no oxygen inside the tank to burn. If you puncture a tank of hydrazine, any spark can cause all the gas inside the tank to instantly detonate.

As for venting plasma: This would definitely cool the reactor chamber if you were actually robbing it of plasma, but I don't know how they theorize the design. Much bigger of a problem though is the question of the plasma's density. A modern Tokamak experimental fusion reactor has a plasma at two or three million degrees, held magnetically away from the walls of the chamber... but if you allowed that plasma to cool to room temperature, it wouldn't fill a child's helium balloon. So, unless the Mechs are using super-dense material for plasma, it's poo poo for burning stuff with because it'd instantly dissipate as you vented it.

All of which goes to the actual point, which is, Mech flamers work in space for exactly the same reason mech armor makes sense: convenience, and nothing more. Mech lasers aren't really lasers, mech machine guns aren't really machine guns, and so on. It's a magical universe in which physical laws don't just fail to match our own, they aren't even internally consistent. Who cares, the game is fun, and that's all that matters.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 29, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

In the BattleTech LP, pilots are cheap. Slots in a game aren't.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
After reading the last few posts, I think I'm beginning to understand the real reason Com-Star keeps killing so many scientists.

I kid, I kid.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Leperflesh posted:

:eng101: :goonsay: :science:

Daaaaaaaamn boy-o. Are you like, channeling Dr. Muk?

That said, I think the internal explanation for why shooting off a plasma flamer heats up the 'mech is that the heat scale in your 'mech isn't the temperature of your reactor so much as it is the temperature of everything which is not your reactor.

IE, by venting hot plasma through the 'mech, through all the tubes to the emitter nozzles, some of the energy from that super-hot plasma is getting deposited as heat on the inside of the tubes, which is then getting transmitted from your series of tubes into the inside of your 'mech, next to things like, say, your targeting gear, your myomer, and your precious explosive ammunition; you know, places where you don't want heat being deposited.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

^^ This is not the original Black Python. This is the redesigned Black Python, and honestly? It looks pretty drat good to me.

I wonder why nobody redesigned the Thorn, then. And apparently it's not the first mech to be an aircraft mounted on legs. The guys over at Mektek recently came out with the 65-ton Tenchi, which is directly stated to be a helicopter chassis mounted on chicken legs.

Edit: Sorry. Wrong Thorn then, I guess. I was looking at the picture in the post a bit above mine.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 29, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Artificer posted:

I wonder why nobody redesigned the Thorn, then. And apparently it's not the first mech to be an aircraft mounted on legs. The guys over at Mektek recently came out with the 65-ton Tenchi, which is directly stated to be a helicopter chassis mounted on chicken legs.

Why would they? It looks just fine the way it is. (Except for the fact that the designers apparently neglected to learn the difference between an LRM5 and an SRM4. Dunno where the fifth missile is supposed to come from. Maybe one of the tubes fires twice?)

As for the Tenchi, it wasn't stated to actually be an attack chopper on legs, just that it wound up strongly resembling one.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Woah! What now? I'm on the pilot list? Sorry, I thought I wasn't up for two more missions!

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It looks like a Cougar that's grown up, been off to university, and come back with a doctorate degree in advanced asskicking. Hell, I don't see any reason it's not an OmniMech. Everything looks like its pods, anyway.

There is no reason it's not an omnimech. Everything about the Black Python is stupid and terrible: it's a Clan non-omni that uses an XL engine, endo steel, FF armor, and double heat sinks. It has all the expensive, weight-saving technology of a loving Timber Wolf despite being a ride solely for solahmas and garrisons. It's ugly and clearly a hovercraft that had scrawny bird legs drawn on it at the last minute. For maximum confusion, it shares an IS reporting name with the Clan name of a completely different 'mech, the Dragonfly (Viper). And, since it's loaded with all that premiere Clan tech, the thing is deadly in the actual game, tearing your Victor apart by circle-strafing you in a Bar Mitzvah chicken dance of death.

I hate the Black Python. I will hate it as long as I live.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Except for the fact that the designers apparently neglected to learn the difference between an LRM5 and an SRM4. Dunno where the fifth missile is supposed to come from. Maybe one of the tubes fires twice?

Maybe that port on the back ridge of the launcher is the 5th tube. It looks about the right size.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Maybe that port on the back ridge of the launcher is the 5th tube. It looks about the right size.

Possibly. It also looks like a gigantic loving laser designator. Either way, it's pretty :downs:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

As for venting plasma: This would definitely cool the reactor chamber if you were actually robbing it of plasma, but I don't know how they theorize the design. Much bigger of a problem though is the question of the plasma's density. A modern Tokamak experimental fusion reactor has a plasma at two or three million degrees, held magnetically away from the walls of the chamber... but if you allowed that plasma to cool to room temperature, it wouldn't fill a child's helium balloon. So, unless the Mechs are using super-dense material for plasma, it's poo poo for burning stuff with because it'd instantly dissipate as you vented it.

'Mech flamers work pretty much the same way 'Mech engine explosions do, in my opinion: they take in air and superheat it into a dense, plasma-like 'beam' of superheated "gently caress you infantry". They work in space because it's Battletech and it's magic.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

gently caress you infantry ... because it's Battletech

This seems to be a recurring theme in the series.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Mech flamers work pretty much the same way 'Mech engine explosions do, in my opinion: they take in air and superheat it into a dense, plasma-like 'beam' of superheated "gently caress you infantry". They work in space because it's Battletech and it's magic.

Yeah that really makes far more sense. The fusion reactor seems to provide a more or less limitless supply of usable energy, so just sucking in some air and superheating it enough that electrons can't hang on, and you get a plasma of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon nucleii plus a bunch of pissed off electrons and probably a shitload of energy too, from stripping all that stuff loose. Spew it out a hole and you have a jet of hot to hose things down with.

Of course, the technology to do such a thing is fantastic and far beyond anything we can do today (just handling containment of the plasma...!) but who cares, it's way cooler than just carrying around a tank of napalm that can run out, and that means no ammo tracking for flamers.

E. OH yeah I just remembered a really cool detail. The space shuttle actually cycles fuel through little pipes in the engine nozzles. This cools the engine nozzles so they don't melt, and it also warms the fuel so it doesn't get below boiling temperature and stop working. Sooooo... the Space Shuttle literally uses its jump jets as fuel warmers to keep them working.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 30, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chronojam posted:

This seems to be a recurring theme in the series.

Well, for now. There are times where you tell infantry to gently caress off, and they respond with "HOW BOUT WE gently caress ON?"

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

an oddly awful oud posted:

And, since it's loaded with all that premiere Clan tech, the thing is deadly in the actual game, tearing your Victor apart by circle-strafing you in a Bar Mitzvah chicken dance of death.

I hate the Black Python. I will hate it as long as I live.

Call me a pragmatist, but I don't really care what it looks like or how bad the fluff is if it's a clearly-purposed, well-designed mech. And from my noob reading of the Black Python, it's detractors will be laughing with crispy fried lungs.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, for now. There are times where you tell infantry to gently caress off, and they respond with "HOW BOUT WE gently caress ON?"

Dense urban terrain with Double Blind.

Infantry: :black101:

Mechs: :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Dense urban terrain with Double Blind.

What does that do for infantry, and mechs? What does double blind do?

Sair
May 11, 2007

Double blind means you only know the position of units you can see. Urban terrain means there's lots and lots of cover for infantry to hide in and ambush from.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Sair posted:

Double blind means you only know the position of units you can see. Urban terrain means there's lots and lots of cover for infantry to hide in and ambush from.

Doesn't that mean the infantry are just as likely to suddenly happen upon a mech with its guns pointing at them?

Sair
May 11, 2007

In practice mechs are a lot easier to find. The infantry can use other units (planes, mechs, etc) as spotters and remain hidden, as well. It goes both ways, of course, but it's in the infantry's favor.

It's a lot easier to get in close and ruin someone's day when environment is one big hiding place.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Artificer posted:

Doesn't that mean the infantry are just as likely to suddenly happen upon a mech with its guns pointing at them?

You have to take into account, however, that men are cheap and easily replaced, but if a platoon ambushes a 'Mech and takes it out, they've just made a big dent in the enemy force. You can fill a city block with a whole lot of infantry.

Plus infantry can walk in an out of buildings with ease, while 'Mechs have to smash through them or walk on top of them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Infantry get defensive bonuses from buildings and have free movement in them. and also at point blank range a full infantry platoon hits like an ac/20.

light = 25% cover
medium = 50
heavy = 75
hardened = how about we get the maximum gently caress on :ese:? 100%

infantry inside a hardened building are at maximum anti-mech trolling because YOU CAN'T HIT THE FUCKS. and dropping a building is hard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

If the infantry are inside a building, you don't know they are there unless you either have an Active Probe or they start firing at you.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Artificer posted:

In theory, yes. But in practice infantry have several HUGE advantages.

1) Only infantry can attack at range 0. Mechs can try and step on infantry/tanks at that range, but can not shoot. Infantry, on the other hand, can unleash their guns AND do all kinds of horrible anti-mech fuckery that can and will absolutely ruin a mech's day. It only gets worse at later tech levels.

2) Mechs hiding in buildings is difficult. They take a piloting roll to avoid damage when moving inside, and doing so severely restricts their mobility. Infantry moves through buildings like they weren't there and require no checks to avoid damage by doing so. That plus infantry's inherent protection versus most mech weapons means that a platoon hiding in a heavy building can soak a crazy amount of damage with minimal trouble.

3) Similarly, infantry have that inherent damage reduction that protects them well from surprise long range encounters. Your mech accidentally runs into a Warhammer at mid range in a city, you're getting 20 points of PPC put into your rear end and you're rolling to see if you fall over. If you don't, you still have to pray there's a good retreat avenue in the streets. Infantry can't be knocked down, only takes 4 points instead of 20 before reducing for building protection, and is usually 100% guaranteed of having an escape route out of LOS.

4) The primary shortcoming of infantry is their low range and poor mobility. In an urban environment, they have much better mobility via moving through buildings and the ease of creating LOS blocks means they can negate their range issue when played well. It also lets them use their biggest advantage - low cost. A platoon of foot infantry soaks up around 80 BV. A cheap 20 ton mech will cost you 500 BV. 6 SRM infantry platoons can unload 90 damage a turn into that mech at up to range 6 - keep in mind your 20 tonner can only have a maximum of 102 points of armor and internal combined. The infantry will usually vaporize the mech in one salvo.

Infantry in close combat situations, particularly urban ones, are insanely deadly. They're just tricky to use and have much less viability outside their niche.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't think Active Probes can detect unarmored infantry. I might be misremembering that though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nadir: Tactical Update 2

Movement Phase
I1 Clint holds position!
I2 Whitworth walks 2 to hex 1702!
I3 Wyvern
I4 Crab Walks 1 to hex 1804!
I5 Kintaro Walks 3 to hex 1603!
I6 Champion holds position!

Combat Phase:
I1 Clint holds fire!
I1 Clint gains 0 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

I2 Whitworth holds fire!
I2 Whitworth gains 1 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

I3 Wyvern holds fire!
I3 Wyvern gains 0 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

I4 Crab holds fire!
I4 Crab gains 1 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

I5 Kintaro holds fire!
I5 Kintaro gains 1 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

I6 Champion holds fire!
I6 Champion gains 0 heat, sinks X+2! 0 heat builds up!

C1 Guillotine? holds fire!
C1 Guillotine? gains 1 heat! 0 heat builds up!

C2 Unknown Medium holds fire!
C2 Unknown Medium gains 1 heat! 0 heat builds up!

C3 Unknown Heavy holds fire!
C3 Unknown Heavy gains 1 heat! 0 heat builds up!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:

Next Turn’s Movement Phase

“Six,” Acolyte Gwenhwyfar Kerwyn called, “we are being flanked.”

A Terra native, she’d been born into ComStar’s legacy—the Word of Blake flowed through her mind like the blood flowing through her veins. So immersed was she in ComStar’s culture that she wouldn’t have hesitated to give up the blood before she gave up the Word. That was why she had volunteered for this.

The most humanoid ‘Mech ever constructed, her Wyvern was a technological marvel—but most considered it a showpiece rather than a functioning combat unit. It was slow for its weight, heavily armored and armed with a mix of weapons that made it a death sentence to a light raider. Unfortunately, it was ill-suited to combating heavy designs. It was also extremely rare, which was probably fortunate since most civilians felt the design fell square into the uncanny valley.

In Gwenhwyfar’s skilled hands, the Wyvern’s inherently humanlike motions were so smooth they seemed almost natural. She rotated her ‘Mech’s head for a better look at the approaching Clan design.

“It’s a Phoenix Hawk, I think. Heavily modified, barely recognizable.” It was—a bizarre V-shaped head sat on a streamlined torso—the left arm ended in a hand and a cluster of what she assumed were the machineguns which had most likely silenced the jumptroops. The right ended in the barrel of a large energy weapon—probably a laser, but with the stories she’d heard of the Clans it could’ve been something more exotic like a Gauss Rifle. She could pick out few real details—the lack of diffused light would make detecting any fine details difficult on this side of the ship. Fortunately, thermals could compensate, but they never told the whole story and that had her nervous. There was something strange about fighting a completely unknown design, and with all the stories she'd heard about the Clan's 'Mechs...

“Understood, three.” came Vandal’s measured reply. “Design is unknown. Make no assumptions—it may look like a Phoenix Hawk, but it might not fight like one. We have a Guillotine and a—Grasshopper, I think, up here. Try to keep that Phoenix Hawk from coming too close.”

Enemy Forces:
C1 Guillotine?: walked 3 to hex 0201!
C2 Phoenix Hawk?: walked 5 to hex 1205!
C3 Grasshopper?: walked 4 to hex 0202!

Mission Objectives
Defeat the Hell’s Horses (in progress)

I1 CLNT-1-2LT Clint
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 13/13 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 14/14 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 13/13 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 10/10 (6/6)
RA A(S): 10/10 (6/6)
LL A(S): 17/17 (10/10)
RL A(S): 17/17 (10/10)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte IX Jim Westwood
Mechwarrior Player: Shiva Asori
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon/10 – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 10, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand

I2 WTH-1S Whitworth
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 16/16 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
LL A(S): 18/18 (10/10)
RL A(S): 18/18 (10/10)
Heat Sinks: 14
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte Ruput Marsden
Mechwarrior Player: Uberjew
Armament:
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 30, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – HD (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands

I3 WVE-5N Wyvern
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
CT A(S): 20/20 (14/14)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
LA A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
RA A(S): 14/14 (7/7)
LL A(S): 22/22 (11/11)
RL A(S): 22/22 (11/11)
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte VII Gwenhwyfar Kerwyn
Mechwarrior Player: Revenant Threshold
Armament:
LRM 10 – CT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!, Ammo Status: Hot-Loaded)
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – RA (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – RA (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
CASE – RT
CASE – LT
Notes: 2 hands

I4 CRB-27 Crab
Weight: 50 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 16/16 (12/12)
CT A(S): 20/20 (16/16)
CT R A(S): 8/8
RT A(S): 16/16 (12/12)
LA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
LL A(S): 24/24 (12/12)
RL A(S): 24/24 (12/12)
Heat Sinks: 16
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte II Cassandra Przymus
Mechwarrior Player: Mr. Despair
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

I5 KTO-19 Kintaro
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 26/26 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 10/10
RT A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
RA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
LL A(S): 23/23 (13/13)
RL A(S): 23/23 (13/13)
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte V Kei Katou
Mechwarrior Player: W.T. Fits
Armament:
LRM 5 – LA (Heat: 2, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 30, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LA (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3 Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Narc Missile Beacon – CT (Heat: 0, Ammo: 12, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

I6 CHP-1N Champion
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
LT A(S): 18/18 (14/14)
CT A(S): 24/24 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 8/8
RT A(S): 18/18 (14/14)
LA A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
RA A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
LL A(S): 15/15 (14/14)
RL A(S): 15/15 (14/14)
Mechwarrior Name: Adept II Tyr Vandal
Mechwarrior Player: DatonKallandor
Armament:
SRM 6 w/ Artemis IV – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!, Ammo Status: Artemis IV Capable)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3 Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3 Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
LB 10-X Autocannon – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 20, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6), Status: OK!, Ammo Status: 2 tons cluster)
Notes: no arm actuators

Enemy Status
C1 Guillotine?
Tonnage: 70?
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

C2 Phoenix Hawk?
Tonnage: 45?
Notes:

C3 Grasshopper?
Tonnage: ???
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Recommendation: leave W. T. Fits (Kintaro) as a rearguard and bumrush the Phoenix Hawk with everyone else. The Wyvern can move to 1007 and flank while the rest head towards the engine and fire on the Hawk's right front.

• Locked thread