Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I think this one is about over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I think someone's going to pull a "Kai Allard-Liao at the Great Gash" moment. That would be awesome.

Also, your image isn't showing up, PTN.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I regret nothing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Orders are in. I can assure you i've taken a no-win situation and ensured even potentially greater amounts of failure.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Should be fast from this point on.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So, three straight missions end in total PC-destruction?

I'm pretty okay with this. :toot:

Sair
May 11, 2007

quote:

I4 Crab fires Large Laser at C2 Phoenix Hawk? (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 target movement + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled (6+4) 10, hit Center Torso (2/29 armor remains)!

So close to opening that CT.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
And so there were two...

The Wyvern is pretty vulnerable to an SRM ammo explosion right now, and the Crab's center torso is about gone. Yeah, I think this part of the scenario is about to end. On the plus side, however, the Hell's Horses mechs got pretty chewed up themselves. If not for the surprise of the Elementals, the players would have been in a much better position right now.

Side Note: Should we name MVPs after this part, or wait till the end of the overall scenario?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 16, 2011

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
R.I.P. Crab :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Charge at the PHawk like a complete wildass maybe you get lucky with the SRMs. Either way, you can either sit there scared to move or take them by surprise. WWBD, man?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

landcollector posted:

And so there were two...

The Wyvern is pretty vulnerable to an SRM ammo explosion right now, and the Crab's center torso is about gone. Yeah, I think this part of the scenario is about to end. On the plus side, however, the Hell's Horses mechs got pretty chewed up themselves. If not for the surprise of the Elementals, the players would have been in a much better position right now.

Side Note: Should we name MVPs after this part, or wait till the end of the overall scenario?

One, man, one. The Crab died to center torso breach.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

malkav11 posted:

One, man, one. The Crab died to center torso breach.

Ah, my mistake. I only looked at the end of PTN's post to see which mechs were still alive. There was a lot of combat data to sift through, and I only caught the Kintaro's destruction while glancing through it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nadir: Tactical Update 10

Movement Phase
I3 Wyvern runs 4 to hex 1903!

I3 Wyvern must succeed at a piloting roll or be thrown into space (4 base + 1 movement = 5): rolled (5+1) 6, succeeds!

Combat Phase:
I3 Wyvern fires LRM 10 at C2 Phoenix Hawk? (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 target movement = 6): rolled (4+2) 6, (2+4+2) 6 missiles hit Left Torso (2/13 structure remains (critical chance!)), Left Torso (1/13 structure remains (critical chance!))!
I3 Wyvern fires SRM 6 at C2 Phoenix Hawk? (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 target movement = 6): rolled (3+2) 5, miss!
I3 Wyvern gains 9 heat, sinks 12+2! 0 heat builds up!

C1 Guillotine IIC holds fire, no unengaged targets!
C1 Guillotine IIC gains 0 heat! 2 heat builds up!

C2 Phoenix Hawk? holds fire, no unengaged targets!
C2 Phoenix Hawk? gains 0 heat! 0 heat builds up! Overheat penalty ends!

C3 Grasshopper IIC torso twists to face hex 1806!
C3 Grasshopper IIC fires Large Pulse Laser at I3 Wyvern (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled (4+1) 5, hit Rear Left Torso (0/6 armor, 7/11 structure remains)! critical chance, breach!
C3 Grasshopper IIC fires Medium Pulse Laser at I3 Wyvern (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled (2+1) 3, miss!
C3 Grasshopper IIC fires Medium Pulse Laser at I3 Wyvern (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled (2+6) 8, hit Rear Center Torso (0/7 armor remains)!
C3 Grasshopper IIC fires Medium Pulse Laser at I3 Wyvern (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled (3+1) 4, hit Rear Right Torso (0/6 armor, 10/11 structure remains)! critical chance, breach!
C3 Grasshopper IIC fires Medium Pulse Laser at I3 Wyvern (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled (4+1) 5, hit Rear Left Torso (0/11 structure remains)! critical chance!
C3 Grasshopper IIC gains 1 heat! 0 heat builds up!

End Phase:
C2 Phoenix Hawk? suffers a critical chance in the Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

C2 Phoenix Hawk? suffers a critical chance in the Left Torso! 3 critical hit sustained!
Destroyed Medium Pulse Laser Hit!
Destroyed Machine Gun hit!
Engine destroyed!

C2 Phoenix Hawk? eliminated by engine destruction!

I3 Wyvern suffers a critical chance in the Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

I3 Wyvern suffers a critical chance in the Right Torso! No critical hits sustained!

I3 Wyvern suffers a critical chance in the Left Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
LRM 10 Ammo hit! Left Torso destroyed! CASE protects Wyvern from Ammo Explosion! Pilot suffers 2 hits!
Jump Jet hit!
Single Heat Sink hit!

I3 Wyvern Right Torso destroyed by breach!

I3 Wyvern Left Torso destroyed by ammunition explosion!

I3 Wyvern eliminated, has no remaining weapons!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:

The Blake’s Blessing hadn’t been able to decelerate properly before the Clanners arrived. The little Union-class ship slowly drifted closer to the Lola III, the massive warship looming huge and dark even as a battle was inexorably lost and won on her hull.

Captain Njangu White waited with trepidation, aware that the quaking of his ship was not direct attack; but that people under his command were dying nonetheless. He lamented that there was no way Precentor Miraborg would hear his warning in time, and expected the Lola III to be the death of the ComGuards—it could reduce their forces to ashes from orbit in a matter of minutes, the big anti-ship missiles capable of laying waste to kilometers of the planet’s surface with a single salvo.

His datapad beeped, and he swallowed. “They’ve lost,” he whispered quietly. A stern resolve took him, and he stood—the Word of Blake could not fail, would not fail. Perhaps Blake hadn’t forseen these invaders, but the Lola III? That was something he knew.

“Lay in a course, Acolyte,” he commanded darkly, “maximum acceleration. We are dead men—but we may yet save our brothers on the ground.”

“Inner Sphere dropship,” Star Colonel Derpie DeLaurel broadcast, her lips twisted into a smug smile, “I claim you as Isorla in the name of—”

“They are accelerating!” one of her pilots called, “bearing—they are going to ram!”

“Fire!” DeLaurel commanded, slamming her small fist down on the armrest of her chair. It was an unheard of move—the sheer dishonor of it was almost incomprehensible; that ship had lost a fair combat! Her crew milled about, confused as well—perhaps by her lack of specifics. “Fire EVERYTHING!”

The Red Night rocked, then shook violently as the Union collided with her engines. DeLaurel stood, her tiny frame and massive head unimpressive, but her fury cowing her crew at once. “Damage report,” she demanded, vowing to reprimand her entire gunnery staff.

“Minimal,” an engineer called. “We can still move—minor damage to the number three engine.”

She nodded silently. “Recover those of our warriors that yet live, and set a course for the Zenith point,” DeLaurel ordered in quiet tones. “These ComStar bandit surats must have come from somewhere. Tactical—heavy scans, I want them found; then I want them destroyed utterly.”

Enemy Forces:
C1 Guillotine IIC: Immobilized in hex 1801!
C3 Grasshopper IIC: walks 4 to hex 1707!

Mission Objectives
Defeat the Hell’s Horses (1/3 completed!)

I1 CLNT-1-2LT Clint
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte IX Jim Westwood
Mechwarrior Player: Shiva Asori
Mechwarrior Status: Killed by Elementals!
Critical Damage: Head destroyed!
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed!

I2 WTH-1S Whitworth
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte Ruput Marsden
Mechwarrior Player: Uberjew
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Critical Damage: Center Torso Breached!
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed by breach!

I3 WVE-5N Wyvern
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 13/16 (0/11)
LT R A(S): 0/6
CT A(S): 13/20 (14/14)
CT R A(S): 0/7
RT A(S): 0/16 (11/11)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 0/14 (0/7)
RA A(S): 0/14 (7/7)
LL A(S): 19/22 (11/11)
RL A(S): 9/22 (11/11)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte VII Gwenhwyfar Kerwyn
Mechwarrior Player: Revenant Threshold
Mechwarrior Status: 2nd degree burns, Neural Feedback (7+)!
Armament:
LRM 10 – CT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 8, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!, Ammo Status: Hot-Loaded)
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: Destroyed!)
Small Laser – RA (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: Destroyed!)
Small Laser – RA (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: Destroyed!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
CASE – RT
CASE – LT
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

I4 CRB-27 Crab
Weight: 50 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte II Cassandra Przymus
Mechwarrior Player: Mr. Despair
Mechwarrior Status: Popped eardrums (3+)!
Critical Damage: Center Torso Breach!
Notes: Breached!

I5 KTO-19 Kintaro
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Acolyte V Kei Katou
Mechwarrior Player: W.T. Fits
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Ammunition Explosion!
Notes: Ammunition Exploded!

I6 CHP-1N Champion
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Adept II Tyr Vandal
Mechwarrior Player: DatonKallandor
Mechwarrior Status: Mild Concussion (3+)
Critical Damage: Center Torso Breached!
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed by breach!

After-Action Report:
Welp… that went worse than my worst-case predictions, to be perfectly honest. I was expecting the Elementals to get a single ‘Mech around turn five or so, but I underestimated the close quarters of the map and once again the presence of hidden units made my updates take twice as long as I was expecting.

I was planning to include some of the Elemental variants in the next mission: Salamanders and Gnomes, mostly, but I may go for a straight-up knock-down drag-out brawl with ‘Mechs instead. Tracing the paths of the ‘Mechs is also quite time consuming, so I’m going to look into faster alternatives.

I would like an MVP for this part, both for the Clans and the Players. As an apology for the totally-unexpected face-raping everyone received, I’ll see everyone but Shiva (who has schoolwork to do) in Part 2 of this mission, Shiva will be replaced by GothSheep.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 28, 2013

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Clan MVP: Elementals
ComStar: Crab. Crab gives no fucks.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

At least you guys were able to take out that Hawk and gave some of those <REDACTED> a taste of Inner Sphere Justice Foot action :unsmith:

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

elitebuster posted:

ComStar: Crab. Crab gives no fucks.

Hear, hear!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Player MVP: That crab-walkin', trash-talkin', laser-firin', gif-inspirin', large-livin', no fucks-givin' Crab.

OpFor MVP: Elementals. Duh.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Look just down and to the left at the face of evil. Elementals for Clan MVP.

GIVE NO FUCKS BUT GIVE CRAB MVP

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, that was brutal. As for MVP, it is a difficult choice imo for the ComGuards. The Crab, of course, gives no fucks but the Wyvern was the only ComGuard unit to actually kill a Hell's Horses mech. Also, which mech was it that kicked some of the Elementals including Point Commander Cairn? The Kintaro? For the Hell's Horses units, the answer is clear.

All that being said-
ComGuard MVP: Wyvern
Honorable Mention: Crab (which still gives no fucks :))

Hell's Horses MVP: Elementals

Also, I found rather neat that the Dropship Captain decided on ramming the warship. However, that could have dire consequences for the ComGuard forces in the second half. The Clan forces here are no longer inclined to play nice and may decide to ignore zell.

Edit: I just noticed the Warship Captain pulling a Nero. That was great! :D

landcollector fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 16, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, the ComGuard got pretty much wrecked...

Clan MVP is definitely the Elementals there. They utterly cleaned house. Taking two of the ComStar mechs out of commission in the opening turns? :drat:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CoarsestGrate posted:

It's still screwed up how your Mechcommander 1 LP ended. If I remember correctly, your computer crapped out on the very last mission, or close to it.

The flash drive I was keeping the files on died, IIRC. I think I accidentally washed it. Took out both that LP and my Emperor of the Fading Suns LP. The files I had on my one PC were about 3 weeks old at that point and I didn't feel like replaying them any.

It happened twice to the EFS LP, that was one cursed LP. :(

Edit: Missed the voting.

Honorable Mention: Crab

Clan Honorable Mention: More Elementals

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 16, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Clan MVP: Those god-damned facehuggers! I mean, Elementals. :)

Inner Sphere MVP: Crab Gives-No-Fucks.

Honorable Mention: MechWarrior Twilight. Hopefully she jetted off the DropShip hull in time to land back on the Lola, and will go on to successfully claim her Sparkle bloodname in a Trial of Position.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Sphere MVP: the No-gently caress-Givin' Crab.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CS MVP: Crab, pilot who must survive and come back later in a mighty KING CRAB to give even less fucks.

Dirty clanner MVP: Elementals.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crab and Elementals, no contest.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Wyvern and Elementals, crab was too busy not giving fucks about killing clanners apparently :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Inner Sphere dropship,” Star Colonel Derpie DeLaurel broadcast, her lips twisted into a smug smile, “I claim you as Isorla in the name of—”

Crab and Elementals, no doubt.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Well, that was brutal. As for MVP, it is a difficult choice imo for the ComGuards. The Crab, of course, gives no fucks but the Wyvern was the only ComGuard unit to actually kill a Hell's Horses mech. Also, which mech was it that kicked some of the Elementals including Point Commander Cairn? The Kintaro? For the Hell's Horses units, the answer is clear.

All that being said-
Honorable Mention: Crab (which still gives no fucks :))

Hell's Horses MVP: Elementals

Also, I found rather neat that the Dropship Captain decided on ramming the warship. However, that could have dire consequences for the ComGuard forces in the second half. The Clan forces here are no longer inclined to play nice and may decide to ignore zell.

Edit: I just noticed the Warship Captain pulling a Nero. That was great! :D

Yeah, kind of funny that now it's the LCAF (and probably the DCMS, considering how they fight) who the Clans will probably consider honorable foes and the Com Guard who are dishonorable shits.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

quote:

Star Colonel Derpie DeLaurel

SynthOrange posted:

Herp derp I'm a clanner!

Felime fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 16, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

This is.......................................................AMAZING!
And considering the names so far, probably how she looks in universe.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Comstar MVP: Crab for giving no fucks.

Special gently caress You Goons MVP: Leperflesh for his drat Mystery Box.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 16, 2011

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Going with Crab for Comstar, Elementals for Clan.

Honestly I wouldn't quite call that rape. By the end the Clan mechs were almost completely ablated down. If a little more fire was concentrated earlier on, or the elementals a little bit less lethal I think Comstar could have come out of this with a hard fought victory. As it stands I'm a bit worried about how this fight is going to go from this point forward. Comstar is going to need to win a straight out tactical victory, seems like the Clanners are catching on.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

gently caress the haters. Outer space is the best space. Go Elementals!

Edit: That is a lot of catchphrases and should probably include content! "The end of the Comguard," huh? It'd be funny to see the Hell's Horses war machine kick itself into overdrive once they find out Comstar controls their beloved Terra. Your fluff is a lot of fun PTN, and I'm really enjoying the thread. Hopefully whenever I come up on the pilot roster I will actually remember to focus fire, and not fall over hilariously skidding all over the place and stuff. No one's wrecked their 'mech by stepping into a pond with a breach yet, right?

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 16, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This was definitely a winnable scenario... for veteran players. For rookies, yeah, they got raped. I think the first kill was on turn 2, so one of the players only got to put in two sets of orders.

Also as it turns out, the entire fight took place on the shadow-side, pretty much. I think it would have been neater (but too complicated for poptarts' manual mapping process) to have the ship be spinning gently so lightside/darkside would gradually change.

As it is though, it was still a pretty cool scenario I think. And really damned close, too; two of the three clan mechs were effectively disabled and on a regular map would have been out of the fight, and the third was just about dead too. Which means a small handful of dice going differently could have reversed the outcome.

For MVP I'm gonna vote for the Wyvern. The crab's antics were great but the wyvern was consistently on-target and played smartly.

The clans' mvp is obviously the elementals, looks like that's going to be a unanimous vote.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clan MVP: Elementals, obviously.
ComGuard MVP: ... the dropship captain, I guess. Truly, he gave even less fucks than the Crab.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

People, people! The MVP for all Com Guard engagements is always the same person.

Com Guard MVP: The Most Blessed Jerome Blake, his Peace be upon you.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Clan MVP: Mechwarrior Twilight, in the Vapor Eagle (Guillotine IIC? I think?). Yes, the Elementals were awesomely effective, but Twilight was entertaining.

ComStar MVP: Crab. Crab crabbity crab. Scuttle scuttle, little Crab!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
MVP: Wyvern
MVP: Elementals

I do think this was a very winnable scenario. The players did a miserable job of concentrating their fire and did get a bit of bad luck alongside it. Still, bad luck is Battletech. (see: the Wolfhound in game 3)

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Clan MVP: The late, lamented Elementals

CS MVP: Must be the Wyvern, filled with the spirit and strength of Blake himself.

Also, question: The dropship hull took a few mech weapon hits. Under any circumstances will that cause a breach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Com MVP: Wyvern

I was leaning towards the Grasshopper since it is probably the only mech that survived and thus wins by default, but then realized the Elementals can jump too.

• Locked thread