Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK yes it says Varyag = Varangian in russian, but there's no citation for that at all and it's also not discussed in the etymology section. So I don't like it. But I'll concede the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\ I propose we change the naming priority to Largest Axe First

Hey Defiance, how much of your Hollander's laughable armor did you put over the Gauss Rifle? Is it likely to walk at a slant?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I actually just spread it evenly, so as to ensure any location could take a hit... from a medium laser.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
If nothing else, the original is at least better than the Hollander BZK-F7, the mech that's designed to die.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, good thing they invented the Blitzkrieg. The stock one is okay but the variant with the HPPC, jump jets and C3 slave? YES PLEASE.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Xmas Future posted:

If nothing else, the original is at least better than the Hollander BZK-F7, the mech that's designed to die.

Is that the heavy-gauss Hollander? Yeah, I'd agree on that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

drat, missed a lot when I wasn't here in the thread. While naming the Dire Wolf the Varangian might be a bit unwieldy, hard to spell, and bring along some poor connotations, I generally approve. It'll most likely be the Lyrans who name it that, right? I can't see the Combine using a name like that, except maybe if they were a Rasalhague unit, and seeing as how the Free Rasalhague Republic doesn't exist in PTN's timeline and it's still the Rasalhague District of the Combine, any forces there would likely be of more Combine stock than Rasalhague. Varyag looks cool and has some of the same connections as well, but if you want to stick with Varangian, it is your decision. Though it would probably make more sense to name it that if it was a Space Russian guy naming it that, and IIRC, most of the Space Russian guys are to the south in the Tikonov area of the Capellan Confederation, right?

Great comic, btw, T.G. Xarbala. You probably have enough praise of it already, but some more wouldn't hurt, I guess.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

AtomikKrab posted:

Is that the heavy-gauss Hollander? Yeah, I'd agree on that.
Yep. Let's put a weapon that forces a PSR if you move while firing it, on a mech that has to keep moving quickly in order to survive.

Although in fairness to the Battletech developers, they do design some mechs badly on purpose.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I thought the whole point of the Hollander was to "be a mobile gauss rifle" that's not supposed to be shot at, and is cheap to replace if it is.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

wiegieman posted:

I thought the whole point of the Hollander was to "be a mobile gauss rifle" that's not supposed to be shot at, and is cheap to replace if it is.

Life is cheap. Battlemechs are expensive :smug:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I like Varangian. I like Varyag too.

But both versions are going to inevitably be shortened to "VAG".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Life is cheap. Battlemechs are expensive :smug:

Hollanders are pretty cheap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

And the original Hollander does that pretty well because of the range on the GR. The HGR variant requires you to be within 6 hexes for optimal damage, since it drops off the further out you are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I like Varangian. I like Varyag too.

"Everyone concentrate on the Vag!"

Works for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't really understand the point of a disposable Heavy Gauss. The recoil on a smaller 'Mech would also be insane, wouldn't it?

Der Waffle Mous posted:

goatface posted:

"Everyone concentrate on the Vag!"

:allears:

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 15, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Defiance Industries posted:

And the original Hollander does that pretty well because of the range on the GR. The HGR variant requires you to be within 6 hexes for optimal damage, since it drops off the further out you are.
Nevermind the range. It's the fact that you risk falling over every time you fire it, damaging your armour or TACing your heavy gauss rifle.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can't really understand the point of a disposable Heavy Gauss. The recoil on a smaller 'Mech would also be insane, wouldn't it?
There's optional rules to change PSR target numbers by weight class, but without those, it's no worse for a light than an assault.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, it looks like those rules only apply to physical attacks and taking damage.

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 15, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I'd just like to point out that the Varangian is a fine name and all, but we all know that the Nord Huscarl spanks the pants off of the Vaegir Guard.

(Yes, late weigh in, no real effect, just whining, already a unit named Huscarl, etc. Sorry.)

To provide some actual content:
In what context are those big rifles with legs (eg Hollander) deployed? I can't see them with a light recon unit; maybe in a medium unit attached to a heavy/assault lance? It seems like it could provide area denial versus mediums and lights and assassination runs on assault mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rivensteel posted:

To provide some actual content:
In what context are those big rifles with legs (eg Hollander) deployed? I can't see them with a light recon unit; maybe in a medium unit attached to a heavy/assault lance? It seems like it could provide area denial versus mediums and lights and assassination runs on assault mechs.

The Hollander serves as a headhunter a lot of the time; it can leverage a lot of firepower at a single target. It can also serve as a scout-hunter or simply as an area-denial weapon for light recon units. It's horribly vulnerable to infantry, though, so it's not a great scout itself.

The Hollander was designed to act as a 'sniper' unit. In game terms, that means it's a pure harasser--it exists to make lighter enemies nervous about charging in guns blazing. Not that the Clans really care about that kind of thing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm a bit late to the party, but:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That picture is awesome.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Varangian
I like it. :shobon:

About Hegira: how does it work, exactly. I know it allows basically to retreat without losing honor due to them not wanting to waste equipment, but what are the rules for it?
And if they allow it, wouldn't W.T.Fits be able to challenge one of the clanners for a one-on-one duel without compromising the victory?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The rules of hegira are basically that they acknowledge you would win if the battle continued, but that it would be a waste of materiel for both sides to keep fighting. Essentially, it's "gently caress it, I'm out" and they leave with what they have and their honor.

As for challenging someone to a duel, it would be bad form to have a duel after granting them hegira, unless the duel was to offer them a chance to claim total victory if they won.

That would be a bad, bad plan.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

Although in fairness to the Battletech developers, they do design some mechs badly on purpose.

It also really fits the Lyran mindset, I think. Furthermore, the HGR Hollander feels like a first-generation experimental platform. Take the shiny new superweapon, slap it onto an otherwise stable and known platform, and throw it into the field to see how it works. It makes perfect sense under that light.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I like the idea of letting the Clanners leave, but only under their own power. If you can't get your mech to stand up and walk away it becomes the property of the Crabguard, and the pilot is taken as a source of information well treated POW. Crab pilots who get to use the refitted Clan models will be know as 'Hermits'.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Zaodai posted:

The rules of hegira are basically that they acknowledge you would win if the battle continued, but that it would be a waste of materiel for both sides to keep fighting. Essentially, it's "gently caress it, I'm out" and they leave with what they have and their honor.

Could have used some of this in 1942...

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Nevets posted:

I like the idea of letting the Clanners leave, but only under their own power. If you can't get your mech to stand up and walk away it becomes the property of the Crabguard, and the pilot is taken as a source of information well treated POW. Crab pilots who get to use the refitted Clan models will be know as 'Hermits'.

As I understand things, it's either that way, or you get to keep any equipment left on the field but the pilots evacuate. Depends on the Clan and interpretation of hegira.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

As I understand things, it's either that way, or you get to keep any equipment left on the field but the pilots evacuate. Depends on the Clan and interpretation of hegira.

They're going to have to leave the equipment anyway. I don't believe any of their remaining mobile mechs have hands.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zaodai posted:

That would be a bad, bad plan.

I'll say! :monocle:
I assumed clanners would have some sort of legal loophole that would allow them to have a duel regardless, given how I've seen them portrayed. I really need to read more Battletech lore. :rolleyes:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
The salvage talk is kind of pointless if I am recalling correctly that Hell's Horses still has strategic control of the system and we are effectively behind enemy lines.

We aren't going to be able to drag a headshot mech out of here whether they leave it behind or not.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Could probably drag a couple of individual components out of there, though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The hunchback is not that big, one of the assaults could strap it to their back. A hunchback hunchback, if you will (or a hunchpack).

Edit: Heh, now I'm picturing putting a little saddle on the King Crab and having another mech ride it into battle.

Nevets fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 16, 2011

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
We have a Lynx pilot who's in need of a new ride...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Strap it to the back with what?

We didn't bring trucks packing industrial chains and welding gear I am pretty sure.

The saddle idea is much better (it would be truly the most blessed flea pilot)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

UberJew posted:

Strap it to the back with what?

We didn't bring trucks packing industrial chains and welding gear I am pretty sure.

The saddle idea is much better (it would be truly the most blessed flea pilot)

The pilots are from Comstar. You're telling me they don't have spools of (space)coax in the truck?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Duct Tape may be lost tech, but it's Battletech so we have Myomer Tape. It's better in every way. [Insert Heat/Range joke for Clan Duct Tape]

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Chicken Slayer posted:

We have a Lynx pilot who's in need of a new ride...
While i'd certainly be happy to see my pilot walking around in some lovely Clantech ride in the future (if only because it would probably increase his lifespan, Hunchback aside) I was under the impression that our ride out of here was the dropship we failed to defend.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Revenant Threshold posted:

I was under the impression that our ride out of here was the dropship we failed to defend.

No, that DropShip and her Level II were a forlorn hope. There is (was?) a much larger force on planet with accompanying transport.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think all the Clans, in at least Clan vs Clan battles, allow downed pilots to return to their unit with the exception of any that were claimed as bondsmen prior to hegira being granted.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I think all the Clans, in at least Clan vs Clan battles, allow downed pilots to return to their unit with the exception of any that were claimed as bondsmen prior to hegira being granted.

Pretty much this. If he didn't fight well enough for you to claim him, and didn't fight hard enough to get himself killed, then he gets to go back to his Clan with the same of losing a 'Mech (which isn't as big a deal for the Clans as it is for an Inner Sphere 'Mechwarrior).

VVV It's already too late.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 17, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So demand the fallen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
House Call: Tactical Update: Victory

“You are negotiating to… withdraw from the field of battle? You would abandon the HPG to us?”

“That is correct,” Lair Seidman growled into the comms. “I have an appointment to keep, barbarian. This fight has been amusing, but it is a lost cause. You can learn nothing from capturing the HPG, therefore, losing it to you is only a minor concession. We will reclaim it within twenty four hours.”

“Very well, clanner,” Demi-Precentor O’Donnelly replied, struggling to keep his tone free of pain and exhaustion. “Take your troops and withdraw. The HPG may be a meaningless concession to you—but it is worth our lifeblood. ComStar does not abandon them easily.”

“I will remember that,” Seidman replied. “It is lucky for you—we value them also. Now; allow me to recover the codexes of our fallen, and we shall depart.”

Mission Objectives
Defeat the Hell’s Horses (completed!)

Victory!

After-Action Report:
You guys did well. For lacking coordination, you were able to leverage your firepower against appropriate targets (nearly) every turn. Most of your ‘Mechs are beat up, but every pilot survived (albeit, nearly everyone was injured—but that’s just what the Kraken does).

I’m happy with this fight, you got to see the difference between a unit designed to punch holes (the ComGuards) and a unit designed to force TACs (the Hell’s Horses). Additionally—the outright uselessness of a ‘defensive’ posture in Battletech. Staying defensive and relatively immobile was actively harmful for the Hell’s Horses—that, and their widely varying movement speeds, kept them from really supporting each other; while the ComGuards with their overall comparable maneuverability were able to really take advantage of isolated opponents. A mostly flat battlefield would’ve been far more deadly to the ComGuards, I suspect.

Anyway, it’s that time: Time to vote for MVPs, as well as another minor vote!

So, as usual, we need a ComStar MVP, and a Hell’s Horses MVP.

Additionally… which ‘Mech would you like to see added to the Alternate Universe TRO next:
A) Hunchback IIC
B) Kraken/ King Crab IIC
C) Dire Wolf / Varangian

Finally: Expect a storyline update pretty soon, as well as our next political / combat theater vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
ComGuard MVP: Exterminator
Horse MVP: Bane

And for the TRO vote.... we have yet to see what horrors your Dire Wolf (Dire Spider?) holds. I vote C so we are not completely traumatized when we see it in action.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 17, 2011

• Locked thread